• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/25/death-stranding-kojima-brings-down-the-house-at-tgs-2018

When asked about the current development status of Death Stranding, Kojima said that "at the moment we're in the phase where I'm holding the controller the whole day, embedding new elements while playing the game."

Kojima indicated that this means development has surpassed the phase where he looks at what individual staff members are doing, and is now looking at how the project is coming together as a whole.

"Development is going well," he said. "It's a completely new game. Things are going according to plan, but there's one thing. Due to the videogame voice actor strike by (labor union) SAG-AFTRA that started in 2016 and lasted a year, I couldn't record with Norman (Reedus) and Mads (Mikkelsen) during that period. So there are some parts we are still recording."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that the Mads/Del Toro trailer was on Gamersyde. So i can download it :_:

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/25/death-stranding-kojima-brings-down-the-house-at-tgs-2018

When asked about the current development status of Death Stranding, Kojima said that "at the moment we're in the phase where I'm holding the controller the whole day, embedding new elements while playing the game."

Kojima indicated that this means development has surpassed the phase where he looks at what individual staff members are doing, and is now looking at how the project is coming together as a whole.

"Development is going well," he said. "It's a completely new game. Things are going according to plan, but there's one thing. Due to the videogame voice actor strike by (labor union) SAG-AFTRA that started in 2016 and lasted a year, I couldn't record with Norman (Reedus) and Mads (Mikkelsen) during that period. So there are some parts we are still recording."
I do wonder if this means the gameplay mechanics are all set, or if the game is playable from beginning to end. Did KP ever announce whenever they reached the Alpha milestone in their previous games?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That's the one. Though from the quick glance i just gave it. It's not there.

The thing about the blank check ? It's there.

Also, i just skimmed through it quickly (i never saw the leak before) and did that 2016 post really mention Lindsay Wagner because that means everything else on there is legit or was at least planned at the time.
There's some substance to the
Elba and Gosling
rumour then.

If you haven't yet i suggest you guys don't open the link, it even seems to spoil the ending.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
The thing about the blank check ? It's there.

Also, i just skimmed through it quickly (i never saw the leak before) and did that 2016 post really mention Lindsay Wagner because that means everything else on there is legit or was at least planned at the time.
There's some substance to the
Elba and Gosling
rumour then.

If you haven't yet i suggest you guys don't open the link, it even seems to spoil the ending.
Kojima also hinted at this on his Twitter account.

Also Kojima keeps retweeting about the movie First Man, which stars Ryan Gosling.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryan Gosling too? Are you fucking kidding me...this is getting ridiculous. That's a better cast than most of Hollywood movies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Still no 4K version of the last TGS trailer, not even an official direct feed one? No way Kojoma and Sony gonna let that happen. There has to be a longer version of that same trailer to be shown later and a 4K version will appear. Also about main characters, I don't think Stefanie Joosten isn't a main character too, he still has many more characters to reveal, not just few.

Jun 4, 2018
More main characters?! That's exciting... I hope this game has plenty of memorable ones, and that is indeed shaping up to be the case. Troy's character - and this is true for Lea's as well - gave a very strong first impression. Sam doesn't seem like too much of a silent protagonist, either. He didn't have much to say in the TGS video, but we have heard him talk quite a bit. Feeling more confident that TPP's approach to storytelling was more of an outlier than indicative of what Kojima wants to do going forward, and that's a huge relief, in all honesty.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just re-read that leak i mentioned and Lannisters linked to. That shit is 100% real. I thought so when i first read it, a couple of years ago. And i doubly think that now.

Game is going to be so good.

Jun 4, 2018
DoBujHmUYAEy81T.jpg
DoBujHpUwAAxlG4.jpg

DoEjJx0VsAA_dG-.jpg
DoEjKl6VAAAGQtp.jpg

DoI9bzRUcAAZE25.jpg
DoI9cpLVsAASaKb.jpg

DoGnpKbUYAAfudR.jpg

DoI_p3WU0AApfVV.jpg

Cross-posting from the other thread, for those who didn't see; high-res Shinkawa art from Kojima's Twitter!

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
So del toro will be a proper character in the game? has this been confirmed or was he used just for the trailer promo

Jun 4, 2018
So del toro will be a proper character in the game? has this been confirmed or was he used just for the trailer promo

He's an actual character, in likeness, but will be voiced by another individual. Kojima suggested that his character would actually be the funniest in the game. If I had to guess, we probably heard the guy dubbing his character in the E3 trailer.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I think Joosten is a main character. There is no other reason she's on break from gaming and she only does modeling sometimes.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima posts a lot of pics of a lot of celebrities meaning absolutely nothing in the end. I suspect he had a lot of "dream" actors in his head and so he might would have liked idris elba but had to go for Tommie Earl Jenkins instead.

Wishing's and reality are very different things.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm eager to see what this game plays like, I think the story is going to be all types of weird and crazy.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

Kojima Productions retweeted this theory, as well did Kojima, and his assistant Ayako (Touchy!), so this is probably something to consider.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Heh there is still zero gameplay I don't understand the obsession with Kojima . You can literally titled it as Death Stranding : A Hideo Kojima Graphic Tech Demo thread

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
hope they change mads' design, just army gear is so boring compared to the rest of the cast :/

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Heh there is still zero gameplay I don't understand the obsession with Kojima . You can literally titled it as Death Stranding : A Hideo Kojima Graphic Tech Demo thread

I wasn't blown away, but they showed exploration. Does that not count? Does gameplay always mean combat?

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't blown away, but they showed exploration. Does that not count? Does gameplay always mean combat?

Okay legit my fault that they did show some exploration clip , and I consider those gameplay . But then again we still don't know much besides just walking around .

Jun 4, 2018

You trying to fill out the Death Stranding bingo card or something? If there's "zero gameplay" for this game, then any game that isn't yet available on the market has shown zero gameplay. You can't have it both ways and pick and choose what you consider gameplay... Gameplay has been shown and will be shown again ahead of - and alongside - release. All the gameplay you desire will be available by the time the game is out. Clearly, you don't really care for it that much, though, given that you seemingly didn't realize it had already been presented. Why do we have to be "obsessed?" People can't simply like, love, or appreciate the man's games? People can't be excited for what he has in the works? Kojima hasn't earned the right to have admirers of his work, despite thirty years in the industry with an output that is considered among the best the medium has to offer? This game is well-past the tech demo phase. There are several videos highlighting scenes currently set to appear in the final game. Footage revealed during the TGA 2017, E3 2018, and TGS 2018 events fall under this category.

Same folks who call Death Stranding a walking simulator in a barren open world talk about how cute Sea of Solitude is and how it truly evokes that sense of loneliness. Same folks who are constantly worrying about Sony's pockets - stating that Kojima is blowing too much of their money on his Hollywood obsession, praise Square Enix for the inclusion of Frozen's voice cast in Kingdom Hearts 3. Same folks who cry over gameplay not being shown (despite the fact that it indeed has been) and Kojima getting a "free pass" from his "blind followers" - you know, the "obsessed" ones, boldly proclaim Metroid Prime 4 to be a quality product, despite the fact that they've seen nothing more than a title card, over a year ago.

It's par for the course when it comes to Kojima and his games. He creates story-rich game worlds that offer so much to discuss, pick apart, and analyze, and yet here - of all places - on a gaming ENTHUSIAST forum, we can't talk about the man's games without it devolving into some slanderous nonsense that leads to the spread of misinformation and low-effort tabloid talk. The amount of love and care this man puts into his craft - even down to the marketing and trailer creation, should be ASPIRED TO, not dragged through the mud. But I guess three decades of exemplary contribution to this industry, which he has been at the top of across four separate decades, comes easy.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
You trying to fill out the Death Stranding bingo card or something? If there's "zero gameplay" for this game, then any game that isn't yet available on the market has shown zero gameplay. You can't have it both ways and pick and choose what you consider gameplay... Gameplay has been shown and will be shown again ahead of - and alongside - release. All the gameplay you desire will be available by the time the game is out. Clearly, you don't really care for it that much, though, given that you seemingly didn't realize it had already been presented. Why do we have to be "obsessed?" People can't simply like, love, or appreciate the man's games? People can't be excited for what he has in the works? Kojima hasn't earned the right to have admirers of his work, despite thirty years in the industry with an output that is considered among the best the medium has to offer? This game is well-past the tech demo phase. There are several videos highlighting scenes currently set to appear in the final game. Footage revealed during the TGA 2017, E3 2018, and TGS 2018 events fall under this category.

Same folks who call Death Stranding a walking simulator in a barren open world talk about how cute Sea of Solitude is and how it truly evokes that sense of loneliness. Same folks who are constantly worrying about Sony's pockets - stating that Kojima is blowing too much of their money on his Hollywood obsession, praise Square Enix for the inclusion of Frozen's voice cast in Kingdom Hearts 3. Same folks who cry over gameplay not being shown (despite the fact that it indeed has been) and Kojima getting a "free pass" from his "blind followers" - you know, the "obsessed" ones, boldly proclaim Metroid Prime 4 to be a quality product, despite the fact that they've seen nothing more than a title card, over a year ago.

It's par for the course when it comes to Kojima and his games. He creates story-rich game worlds that offer so much to discuss, pick apart, and analyze, and yet here - of all places - on a gaming ENTHUSIAST forum, we can't talk about the man's games without it devolving into some slanderous nonsense that leads to the spread of misinformation and low-effort tabloid talk. The amount of love and care this man puts into his craft - even down to the marketing and trailer creation, should be ASPIRED TO, not dragged through the mud. But I guess three decades of exemplary contribution to this industry, which he has been at the top of across four separate decades, comes easy.
Seconded!

Oct 27, 2017

You can explain whatever you want, there is still a category of people who don't understand the game, and feel obligated to tell everyone that they are don't understand it. Mindset is "If I don't understand it, there is clearly no meaning behind it - and if someone claims that he sees something - he clearly lies.". You can try and reach to those people, explain that there is a lot of atmosphere, small details, acting in these videos - it doesn't matter - there is no gameplay, hence Kojima wasting time. I have goosebumps every time I see this tear on Lea Seydoux face and music kicks in - but apparently that's not really important because there is no gameplay. If only all these skeptics just GTFO from thread where people who care about game can discuss it, but no, they can't without telling us we seeing things.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to why this game is making people act like Kojima is an abject liar/fraud like Peter Molyneux despite the fact that he's delivered excellent gameplay in everything he's ever made? Even MGS4 is fun during the gameplay portions. Didn't everyone just get done complaining that MGSV had too much gameplay?

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You trying to fill out the Death Stranding bingo card or something? If there's "zero gameplay" for this game, then any game that isn't yet available on the market has shown zero gameplay.

The problem is the first trailer was being revealed back then at 2016 . After more than 2 years we still haven't seen anything that remotely looks like a game .

Didn't everyone just get done complaining that MGSV had too much gameplay?

I hope this doesn't turn out a hollow game like MGSV.

Heh .

Status
Not open for further replies.