• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I only have one concern about the game and that is the cities we can visit. I'm hoping we can actually explore and interact with the people that live in these cities. Like, he went to Port Knot City and we can see a pretty decent sized settlement in the background but he then immediately went the the Distribution Center which is essentially Home Base/Mother Base. The thing that felt really dated about Mother Base in MGSV was the lack of content/exploration that you could do at Mother Base. You couldn't talk to Ocelot or Miller or Huey, you couldn't go inside buildings, you couldn't chat with your staff, you couldn't really train with your staff, it was just an empty shell that people walked around and cut-scenes periodically occurred at.

There have been too many games at this point that have shown how a hub city/base should function whether it be RPGs like Mass Effect or even action games like Assassin's Creed. I just hope the cities in DS aren't just pretty looking shells where we can't actually interact with any people except contract givers through a hologram. I want to explore these still thriving sites and speak with the people there and see how they actually live. This is another thing that made MGSV feel really barren, there were only enemy bases in the open world, no actual NPC settlements to interact with.

I want this game to be what MGSV should have been.
unfortunately, it's probably outside the scope of the game. I'm already impressed they can make this game with all the complex mechanics and cutscenes in just around 3 years. asking them to make a couple of huge city with many npc living in it must have been a huge task. keep in mind that story wise, this is a roadtrip story where Sam wouldn't stay in 1 city for long anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Also: someone wink wink posted reviewers who don't like it must love CoD 'dudebro'. The fatuous conceit that one cannot enjoy 'art' if one also enjoys supposedly 'base pursuits', that they are somehow fundamentally disconnected and people fall into one camp or the other... these ideas need to fuck off. I eat crisps in my underwear and play Gears 5, and I also like going to the opera on a fairly regular basis. Get outta here.
It's so weird to see this kind of discussion take place when I'm just looking forward to delivering some stuff. The gameplay just looks fun to me. *shrugs*

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
unfortunately, it's probably outside the scope of the game. I'm already impressed they can make this game with all the complex mechanics and cutscenes in just around 3 years. asking them to make a couple of huge city with many npc living in it must have been a huge task. keep in mind that story wise, this is a roadtrip story where Sam wouldn't stay in 1 city for long anyway.

True, but I don't need Novigrad. I just need to be able to interact with and at least see some civilians. I don't want to have to be told 50,000 people live at a place but never see or interact with a single soul.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Can we not appreciate just how great the music is? From Aslyums For The Feeling to the amazing synth track at the beginning. (and also in the briefing trailer)

Absolutely love the soundtrack so far. Also I love how 1:1 scale the world is as this is something a lot of games generally don't go for; the river and mountains look enormous.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Were you 100% confident, though?
Yes. Based on the influences at least. Even as far back as my thread specifically about that.

Just curious, because we were on the same page with regards to what we expected from the gameplay, but I was still a little scared that we were completely off and the actual game wouldn't have half of the interesting stuff we were speculating about. But not only it has everything, but they went beyond and are offering more than what I expected.
I definitely didn't expect the micromanaging to reach this extent yea.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to watch it. Looks really cool. Survival/exploration game with stealth/action segments. I'm curious how frequently we'll be coming across enemies and how the important story beats will be woven into the game when it seems fairly freeform.

Also goes without saying but the game is absolutely beautiful.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Would be weird if the world wasn't sparse and instead densely populated full of points of interest.

Like reconnecting a country where everything is within a 40 second jog. That would be a big "what?"

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Trying to figure out how the heck the environment shifting in that boss encounter works just conceptually, obviously it's a crazy technical achievement in this huge, highly detailed open world.

Standard humanoid BTs presumably are limited to very specific areas and can't follow you far from them if at all. Are boss BTs the same? It would be awkward if you could just run away from them, although the black liquid does serve to impede you from doing that. That at least would limit the area that the shifting has to take place in. Forcing you to be at a specific place at the start of the fight by "dragging" Sam there is clever, and probably also serves to hide/give cool presentation to some background loading.

Still, the terrain that appears and sinks back down in the "arena" needs to be specifically designed, at least the large parts of it (the buildings, maybe those buses?) I assume. That's a lot of work to be done for something completely optional. And ensuring it doesn't break anything between the player character, the AI, any interactive objects and the existing terrain must've been a nightmare. Not to mention that a lot of it seems physics interactive. And what happens if you leave the immediate "arena?" Does the bit of ruined city Sam was caught in also disappear when the shift happens, or can you fight the boss there as well? Is there even more specifically designed environment shifting there?

On top of all this apparently if you lose a fight against one of these boss BTs the area you fought it in will be turned into a crater? So the game design has significant pieces of level design just being erased from the map depending on events in the game? That's so wild it's hard to believe conceptually, let alone technically. It opens up even more questions, like whether it means you can only do these fights once unless you run away from them.

I'm in awe, but I'm kind of baffled too. I could see it end up playing awkwardly, like the open world Skull encounters and Sahelanthropus in The Phantom Pain, but the ambition here blows my mind.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Skimmed through, looks interesting, I want something weird so this is right up my alley.
Still hoping for piloting a mecha tho.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Kojima said you basically create weapons in bathroom. Your piss, shit, the dirty water after Sam takes shower can all be used as weapons.
So far we saw Sam's blood working as weapon against BT (The red grenade), and Sam's dirty shower water also used as weapon (the white grenade which slows down BT's movement). Wonder what piss and shit will do.

tenor.gif

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm most likely going to pre-order based on what I saw. This game is really looking to go beyond the typical open world titles we've seen the last several years.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I only have one concern about the game and that is the cities we can visit. I'm hoping we can actually explore and interact with the people that live in these cities. Like, he went to Port Knot City and we can see a pretty decent sized settlement in the background but he then immediately went the the Distribution Center which is essentially Home Base/Mother Base. The thing that felt really dated about Mother Base in MGSV was the lack of content/exploration that you could do at Mother Base. You couldn't talk to Ocelot or Miller or Huey, you couldn't go inside buildings, you couldn't chat with your staff, you couldn't really train with your staff, it was just an empty shell that people walked around and cut-scenes periodically occurred at.

There have been too many games at this point that have shown how a hub city/base should function whether it be RPGs like Mass Effect or even action games like Assassin's Creed. I just hope the cities in DS aren't just pretty looking shells where we can't actually interact with any people except contract givers through a hologram. I want to explore these still thriving sites and speak with the people there and see how they actually live. This is another thing that made MGSV feel really barren, there were only enemy bases in the open world, no actual NPC settlements to interact with.

I want this game to be what MGSV should have been.

That's me, basically. I don't need a full rpg city but my main gear is that all the cities and settlements are just glorified menus with no individuality.

I also gear that it might be beyond their scope but on the other hand, they are not an indie dev.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Watched roughly 10 minutes... Resisted my urge! I want to go in blind. Enough people seem to confirm what I've been suspecting - This game is for me!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The French publisher of the Death Stranding artbook gives more details about the trailer, the game and Kojima's vision:

This is very interesting thanks :)

So the publisher of the artbook obviously has access to it, and says the demo didnt show a lot of things on purpose that he saw in the artbook. He says hes under nda but he clearly says that there are much more different landscapes and terrain types, and teases the moon again.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Took this post off deathstranding subreddit made by user BNNKNG. The guy wrote up whatever details he noticed and its a pretty good read up. Some of these are guesses as well.

"I'll just assume you've seen all the previous trailers, including the latest Briefing trailer.

Note : all the demo takes place in the real world with Sam. No Hades, no Beach, No Cliff or other characters except a bit of Die Hard Man. This is only about delivery, travel mechanics, multiplayer and what kind of stuff you can find in the world.

Lore details:

• Civilians live underground, in buried shelters or whole cities. Above is too dangerous, that's why they need a delivery man. Port Knot City for example has more than 50,000 inhabitants.
  • Connecting the chiral network allows Bridges not only to connect with settlements but also to somehow recover data about history and life on Earth before the Death Stranding. Maybe they are looking for Wikipedia pages.
Being Sam:

• Many gauges : Movement Speed; Stamina/Fatigue Resistance; Balance; Carrying Capacity; Rugged Terrain Resistance; Resistance to falling unconscious; Sync Level; Lung Capacity; Battery Capacity
  • If you find a hot spring you can bath to recharge your stamina and other gauges (depending on the hot spring)
  • Walking progressively destroys your boots (on rugged terrain even faster). When they are out you'll start losing stamina and blood.
  • Drinking from the Canteen allows Sam to recover Stamina. The canteen refills automatically when it rains (even Timefall) or when crossing a river by filtering the water. Water has been replaced by Monster Energy drink though, for dubious marketing purposes.
  • Sam can jump on a Floating Carrier and use it like a Hoverboard from Back to the Future. That's rad.
Private Room:

• In every Bridges facility you get access to your private room.
  • You can choose your suit : Blue, Orange, Red and even a Black one. What's specific to each color is still unknown.
  • You can use a fancy 3D printer to fabricate equipment. The printer needs connection to the Chiral Network.
  • You can fabricate Tools (ladders, ropes and even dummies), Gears (boots, exoskeletons), Weapons and Vehicles.
  • Every equipment has a Resources cost : Resin, Metal, Ceramic, Chemical substances, Special Alloys or Chiral Cristals (those golden hand-shaped things that grows in Timefall areas).
  • You can take a shower and use the toilet. This may be a way to refill your EX grenades, but need confirmation on that.
  • You can check your miniatures collection (same green figures used to illustrate Amelie's story in the Briefing trailer).
Cargo:

• Once you have selected your delivery boxes and equipment, you need to load them all on Sam (there is a weight limit).
  • You can stack on the backpack, shoulder pads, leg pads or carry it by hand. Some equipment can also be carried without the box (like boots, ropes) or spread into small pouches (like grenades, repair sprays).
  • To help you balance the cargo a yellow circle on the floor shows how Sam is leaning. An unbalanced load will make Sam prone to fall and require the player to shift the weight more often.
  • Sam has to transport various items, from weapons to medical stuff but also cryogenized sperm and eggs.
  • You can have up to two Floating Carriers to carry more stuff. They just follow you like drones.
  • You can find lost cargo in the world and decide to pick it up and deliver it to the owner. Doing so will get you special rewards.
  • Timefall progressively damage cargo, except those protected by a Chirallium layer.
  • The Likes you get upon delivery depends on the state of cargo, time and other factors.
Controls:

• Keep balance : sometimes Sam will loose his balance when running or going up/down a slope and the player has to quickly shift the weight left or right using L2 or R2 buttons. Failure was not shown in the demo.
  • Crossing a river: the scanner shows the water level. Blue is knee to waist deep and fine to cross; yellow is waist to chest deep and will drain Stamina to fight against the current and keep your balance; red is too deep, Sam will be washed away and will have to recover by paddling left or right (L2/R2) until he reaches low level waters and be able to stand up. Cargo can be washed away and recovered.
  • Touch panel is the Communication button. This allows Sam to call in order to locate and/or activate communal objects dropped or built by other players (see Multiplayer).
  • Take a rest to save the game. While resting you can massage your shoulders or stretch your legs (but it doesn't seem like it does anything). You can also sleep to slowly regenerate blood.
  • While grabbed by BTs you need to push Square to try and shake them off, as well as L2/R2 if they put you off balance. If you fall, they get you.
Scanner:

• When looking at a point it shows not only the distance but also the elevation graph.
  • The scanner shows wet terrain in blue, slippery terrain in yellow and rugged terrain in red. It also shows the depth of the rivers: blue, yellow and red.
Map:

• You can trace a route on the map by placing checkpoints.
  • The map features a basic 3D mode to check elevation.
  • Signs placed by other players appear on the map (see Multiplayer).
Combat:

• MULES try to steal you equipment and gear. They'll even take your shoes. Their camps are full of Resources.
  • MULES area is marked with red poles. They won't chase you beyond that.
  • Non Lethal take out is possible using the Strand item: sneak up to a guy and tie him up unconscious. The Bola Gun does the same from a distance, but is loud.
  • You can hijack vehicles GTA-style. However a Shock spear will shut it down immediately.
  • You can throw cargo boxes at the enemies to stun them, but it will destroy the content.
  • BTs are vulnerable to bodily fluids. You can use blood grenades against them.
  • The Bola Gun can also be used to immobilize BTs. And then pissing on them until they vanish is probably an option, but that was not shown in the demo.
  • When BTs grab you, they drag you to the mini-boss nearby. This area is a potential crater, should Sam end up being eaten and trigger a Void-out.
  • To defeat the mini-boss, just dodge the attacks and shoot as many blood/piss ammo you got at it.
Multiplayer:

• When connecting an area to the Chiral Network you get to see and use items built or dropped by other players.
  • You can "Like" an item and see how many Likes each item received.
  • For big constructions like bridges or repair towers, many players can help building or upgrading by spending Resources on the build.
  • Players can place signs. Danger signs, info signs, all kind of signs.
  • Players can build shared lockers (Postbox) and put items inside other players can take.
  • Players can dismantle communal items for Resources but not take and re-use.
  • Players can find other players lost/dropped cargo, repair it, and deliver it to a Postbox to see what's inside. You can then leave it there or take it.
  • It was not stated if you can tweak the number of communal items you see, limit to Friends only or even turn the whole multiplayer system off to avoid your surroundings being littered with garbage and signs.
  • During combat against BTs, a player can call for help. Other players can answer by giving items or cheer. They'll show up as white characters in the black substance.
  • I could be wrong on that one, but I think white strands in the sky point to communal builds and black strands point to where a player is fighting a mini-boss and may require help.
Cameos:

• I'm pretty sure Edgar Wright is Nick Easton in the game, manager of the Capital Knot City distribution center.
  • Daichi Miura is the Musician (just a civilian, like the Ludens Fan).
  • Patrick Claude is Viktor Frank, manager of the Port Knot City distribution center. Note that Patrick Claude was a Corpse Disposal Team member in the third trailer. No idea if that's the same character later in the story or if there was a cast change."
Do note this is all conjecture made by one viewer watching the clip shown. Stuff can be wrong since the clip wasn't even in English like his view that piss could also be used to harm enemies like blood was used. If this is true... I wanna throw piss on bosses at near 0 health as a finisher for sure.

Thanks. I don't have time to watch the video yet.

Sounds exactly like my type of game. In open/semi open world games, I prefer the quiet moments before the shoot-bang sequences.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if you eventually build a raised road from the Bridges base to key locations on the map for quick travel.

Retrieving Amelie, successful or not, is probably only 'Act I'.

May 30, 2018
Not spoiling myself, beyond the gifs posted, but all it needs are the classic wacky Kojima bosses, and then it will be cemented as GOTG

It's already shaping up to have an insane story judging from the trailers I saw

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
  • Once you have selected your delivery boxes and equipment, you need to load them all on Sam (there is a weight limit).
  • You can stack on the backpack, shoulder pads, leg pads or carry it by hand. Some equipment can also be carried without the box (like boots, ropes) or spread into small pouches (like grenades, repair sprays).
  • To help you balance the cargo a yellow circle on the floor shows how Sam is leaning. An unbalanced load will make Sam prone to fall and require the player to shift the weight more often.
  • Sam has to transport various items, from weapons to medical stuff but also cryogenized sperm and eggs.
  • You can have up to two Floating Carriers to carry more stuff. They just follow you like drones.
  • You can find lost cargo in the world and decide to pick it up and deliver it to the owner. Doing so will get you special rewards.
  • Timefall progressively damage cargo, except those protected by a Chirallium layer.
  • The Likes you get upon delivery depends on the state of cargo, time and other factors.
Not sold on this as the gameplay loop - I hope there is more to it.

In any event, I'll be waiting on reviews and impressions and hoping it meets expectations as I could use something to sink my teeth into this winter (other than Pokemon).

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
You're Not The Only One Exploring This World
While we're pretty sure you won't be bumping into direct contact with other players in this world, it seems you may come across things they've built or left behind.* There are clear signs of other travelers like yourself using equipment to cross gaps and scale mountains, making you the benefactor of their generous intrepidness. Be sure to leave them a like for their troubles — it's not yet known what purpose that serves, but at least it will make them feel deservedly appreciated.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I'm in awe, but I'm kind of baffled too. I could see it end up playing awkwardly, like the open world Skull encounters and Sahelanthropus in The Phantom Pain, but the ambition here blows my mind.

I think those encounters are scripted and happen in specific spots of the map.
The enemies dragging you there and the black goo probably ensures you cannot leave the area.

Similarly I don't think craters can just happen anywhere and wipe out any part on the map just like that.
That would be far too complex to handle, both technically and from a game design point of view.

Would be great, but would also mean massive headaches in planning stages to make it work.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Can we not appreciate just how great the music is? From Aslyums For The Feeling to the amazing synth track at the beginning. (and also in the briefing trailer)

Absolutely love the soundtrack so far. Also I love how 1:1 scale the world is as this is something a lot of games generally don't go for; the river and mountains look enormous.

Agree with both points. Music and world scale is on point.

My opinion os based on the trailers released so far, not the TGS gameplay footage.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone said on Reddit that Edgar Wright is the manager of the Capital Knot City distribution center and I think he's right. Can anyone check?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kojima said you basically create weapons in bathroom. Your piss, shit, the dirty water after Sam takes shower can all be used as weapons.
So far we saw Sam's blood working as weapon against BT (The red grenade), and Sam's dirty shower water also used as weapon (the white grenade which slows down BT's movement). Wonder what piss and shit will do.

That's actually pretty clever. Gives extra incentive to rest and maintain yourself, beyond just re-juvination, stamina or health.

Jan 11, 2018
Looks like the logical continuation of MGS V. What I saw looks to be a combination of a lot of tediousness, mixed with a lot of really cool stuff, just like MGS V. I just hope it has an actual story.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Player signage hints should only appear in regions you've already been through sparsely to establish a stronger comms link. When you first enter a new region (or something blocks comms) you should be dark from assistance.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I didn't know what to make of it really despite being thoroughly interested but just watching a minute or two randomly clicking around in this video sold me 100%.

I think it looks really promising and fresh overall, like an evolution of MGSV which is one of my favorite games of the last two gens. I actually think it looks quite exciting in that I'm really psyched to dig into how everything works in practice.

I also noticed some of the music cues that happen in the environment when he sits down etc. have a really nice wistful atmosphere to them, gave me a really cool vibe seeing the distant landscapes with that and all.

I hope you can turn off all of the HUD

I would think so. I played MGSV without all the red markers etc. if it's anything to go by.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Player signage hints should only appear in regions you've already been through sparsely to establish a stronger comms link. When you first enter a new region (or something blocks comms) you should be dark from assistance.

That's how it works.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
In BOTW, the loop is curiosity/traversal/reward
They give all the tools and you're empowered from the start.
Here, you have a similar objective start: traversal
But you don't have all the tools to access all the world from the get-go.
We will only be able to access it by collaboration.
So the loop is traversal/curiosity/collaboration/rewards

Edit: plus, lots of survival/traversal elements that are arcadey in BOTW here are presented in a way more realistic manner.