• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Since they uploaded this stuff in the middle of the night and I just woke up and have to go straight to work, someone give me a cliff's notes.

What are the key moments/takeaways from the video? Is there anything worth finding in the environment? Has someone edited all the bland walking out and made a highlight reel yet?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All those Monster™ brand energy drinks on the table at the beginning. I wonder how much product placement will be hidden about.

I don't understand this whole "I looks weird and therefore boring" comments. The fact that it's weird and different is what's interesting about it. No way i'd be excited to play another open world 3rd person shooter

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Since they uploaded this stuff in the middle of the night and I just woke up and have to go straight to work, someone give me a cliff's notes.

What are the key moments/takeaways from the video? Is there anything worth finding in the environment? Has someone edited all the bland walking out and made a highlight reel yet?
Key moment for me is Reedus putting his hair back in an impossible ponytail given his length of hair. He'd need clips to hold back the bangs and he doesn't have them. Kojima has lost his touch for detail, sorry to say.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not at all, you don't need to fight in every game, but walking in empty fields nonstop is not very appealing, at least for me.
It's not really empty, you can do the scan thing and see point of interest all over the map like resource gathering, onsen that you can mark so other people find it, as well as any location other people mark for you to discover.

I doubt you'll be literally walking for 20 minutes with nothing to interact with

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

I made a post on it over here

Kojima stated that Volume. 1 (what we just saw) was meant to give us a look at the basic 'gameplay flow' as he described it. We saw Sam tasked with delivering items from Capital Knot City to Port Knot City. On the way, we ran into MULE forces, a Musician prepper and BTs initiating a bossfight. Weapons and tools such as Strand and the Bola Gun were used to deal with conflicts. We got a good look at the Social Strand System with players placing ladders, rest stations and other useful things in the environment as we eventually made our way to Port Knot City and established another strand.

KojiPro will show another 30 minutes of gameplay on Saturday. I think this one will take a look at what happens when you 'die' (note: Death Stranding has no traditional game over system, if you die, you're tasked with getting back to your body which ends up causing a Voidout in the environment). I'd imagine we'll get to see what Kojima means about the first-person perspective being important in this bit.

I think Voidouts and the 'death' aspect of this will be the next gameplay focus. Also, we've gotten a better look at how the Beached Things (BTs) look with the BRIEFING trailer. Is that an umblical cord?

5wbb79nm93m31.png

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a version of this video without the "oooooohhhhh, uuuuhhhhh" every 5 seconds?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Skipped around the video. Caught some exploration, cutscnes, combat, and amazing visuals. I'm not worried.

Feb 5, 2018
Ahhh, I thought the area the BTs take you (with the monster that you fight) was also Hades, but Sam didn't actually die there. I'm curious about Hades now.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Looks absolutely intriguing, my type of game.

Looks to be a relaxing/calm experience with a massive world and amazing vistas all wrapped in a scifi package. Very cool.

But did anyone actually HEAR the game ? ...wow

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Judging by some of the reactions online and in here, the game is really going to be polarizing for a lot of people that are fans of Kojima.

Hmmm....not really. Outside this forum i'm reading nothing but excitement for the game with a few constructive criticism. It's only here that has the usually Kojima hate and walking simulator post.

As if every game is suppose to play the same. It's ironic coming from this place that complains about most western AAA games. Then goes on and gives those games the most attention.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I have to laugh because after years of "what do you do" it looks exactly as advertised/imagined through previous trailers.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that the original plan was to show very little of the actual game, but someone either Sony or KojiPro got scared and did this weird blowout.

Edit: Image quality is bordering on last gen. Where is the TAA?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The scene with him washing off and singing to the bb was cute

My guess is that the original plan was to show very little of the actual game, but someone either Sony or KojiPro got scared and did this weird blowout.

You think they showed gameplay because they were scared? Lmao, come on now.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how many people that play a lot of video games can truly think that the gameplay looks "fun" with all of that slow butt lumbering around and janky looking combat, but I guess that if you are into strange for the sake of strange or getting on a pop culture bandwagon then it may be good.

People with a limited perspective/taste in gaming struggle to understand the appeal of a game that doesn't appeal to them.

What a shock.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Image quality is bordering on last gen. Where is the TAA?

I think they were always going to show stuff off. No developer is stupid enough to hide their game wholesale until launch.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Watched some of the video and then skipped around. Will there be a video released in English?
Probably.

I'm just not seeing the fun here. A ton of walking. And even that boss battle looked BORING! Lobbing grenades until it dies. And I know I won't enjoy the story as I don't care for Kojima's writing. Gonna be too weird.
Lol what even is this critique? Watch more than just snippets and you might learn a thing or two. People complained they didn't get to see much gameplay and here's 50 minutes of relatively spoiler-free truly dynamic gameplay on a platter that shows lots more than many people even suspected, and plenty of new stuff for those who are already knowledgable, but you still don't actually want to know about the game. That much was clear long ago.

It is interesting that Kojima is showing so much of the game now to the public after being so tight lipped. I know someone (Benji maybe) said he was confident this would be the best selling Kojima game ever, but I dunno. It seems like they're showing so much now to try to drum up interest.
More baseless, fear-mongering conspiracies? Thought you'd either be bored of those or have learned your lesson by now.

This is the game. This is it. You say no notable gameplay YET. There isn't going to be any big surprises gameplay wise that weren't shown in this 50 minute presentation.

No, this is different. This is not some canned presentation or edited together. This is just Kojima playing the game to show what it's like. Because a lot of people didn't know what this game was. Now they do. This is it.

Will be interesting to see sales once this releases. I have no idea how it will do.
Barely any of what you wrote here is correct, and worse, much of it is misleading - but can anyone really expect differently from you?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Hmmm....not really. Outside this forum i'm reading nothing but excitement for the game with a few constructive criticism. It's only here that has the usually Kojima hate and walking simulator post.

As if every game is suppose to play the same. It's ironic coming from this place that complains about most western AAA games. Then goes on and gives those games the most attention.
In fact people complain all day about 'derivative' not original, samey, tired of open world ubi style and Kojima tries something different and usual suspects go for the jugular.
I mean it is fair to not to like what shown, or not being convinced, i still don't know if will buy or wait, but some are really trying hard.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
As a huge MGS fan I'm having a mixed reaction, I trust Kojima and I will play this game for sure, but MGSV soured me a bit, the gameplay on a mission and when you're actually -doing- things was amazing, but there was a lot of empty space and "time wasters" (Get to the chopper... Wait for it to land... etc), I loved it regardless of that, but I fear that DS may keep some of those elements. Still, very hyped for a new IP from Kojima and will be there day one, most of what I skimmed through from the video looked great!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how many people that play a lot of video games can truly think that the gameplay looks "fun" with all of that slow butt lumbering around and janky looking combat, but I guess that if you are into strange for the sake of strange or getting on a pop culture bandwagon then it may be good.
I imagine people who "play a lot of video games" probably have a pretty wide perspective of what games can offer. I mean, Journey, Edith Finch, Inside, Burnout, Super Hexagon, AC Odyssey, The Witness, SpaceChem, Rocket League, Titanfall 2, and Last of Us are all very different forms of fun gameplay

Or people who are excited by this just want to hop on a bandwagon

Whichever makes more sense

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Amazing visuals on display the best I seen this gen.

If this is a walking simulator like a lot of posters on here say it is than its the best walking simulator to ever be created. No other walking simulator can ever top it from what im watching. Nov 8th cant come soon enough

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
A lot of people like no mans sky(I do)......A lot of people love traversing BOTWs world(I do).

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
People with a limited perspective/taste in gaming struggle to understand the appeal of a game that doesn't appeal to them.

What a shock.

I think that I have a have a rather wide taste in games, even more so now with Game Pass where I have tried different genres. Some of the games that I have played over the last few years have included BOTW, God of War, Spider-Man, Red Red Dead Redemption 2, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4, Nier Automata (was my GOTY), Crackdown 3, What Remains of Edit Finch, Blair Witch, Cuphead, Ori, Hellblade, and so on.

I have really enjoyed some of the shorter games that I would call more experiences such as What Remains of Edit Finch and Hellblade, but it doesn't appeal to me to be spending so many hours in a large world experience type of game where the actual gameplay doesn't seem to be top shelf.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the revolutionary gameplay system that will birth a new genre is actually asynchronous multiplayer from Dark Souls, a game that came out 10 years ago?

The landscapes and animations are mind-boggling good. It's not really a question of tech, but a vision. It just looks amazingly natural. I'm actually hoping the world map is FULL of negative space so traversal ends up being the biggest enemy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge MGS fan I'm having a mixed reaction, I trust Kojima and I will play this game for sure, but MGSV soured me a bit, the gameplay on a mission and when you're actually -doing- things was amazing, but there was a lot of empty space and "time wasters" (Get to the chopper... Wait for it to land... etc), I loved it regardless of that, but I fear that DS may keep some of those elements. Still, very hyped for a new IP from Kojima and will be there day one, most of what I skimmed through from the video looked great!

Yeah. MGSV's biggest problem bar none was all the dead space between missions. Riding the horse around, running to objective markers, calling Pequod - all of that shit was a chore that wasted the player's time.

By comparison, the missions were insanely fun. I really hope this game doesn't end up the same way as V did but with the balance skewed heavily in favor of the between-missions dead space.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do so many of you ppl gotta be some goddamn condescending like how old are we on this site truthfully? What's the age bracket? It's ok to say you don't like something without some childish ass remarks just say ah not for me if you wanna be nice throw in alil hope y'all enjoy tho but like damn the bolded is so damn unnecessary it's annoying

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not at all, you don't need to fight in every game, but walking in empty fields nonstop is not very appealing, at least for me.

Well, you said people should be hating this because it only had 5 mins of fighting.

I think they made traversal as varied, challenging and full of gameplay elements as they could.
It's very different from "keep pushing stick forward 10 minutes" we've seen elsewhere.
There is actual gameplay to walking this time.
I understand it not being your (and in fact a lot of people's, i'm expecting) cup of tea, absolutely.
And others should accept people are genuinely excited for what they have seen

Not just because it's Kojima's (although, there is absolutely nothing wrong or unusual with that) or because "they haven't played many games".
A lot of people just really like what they're seeing here, and the concept of the community working together to make things better for the people who will play next I think is amazing and has a lot of significance.