• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Pretty nice video. More evolutionary than revolutionary, but it looks polished and solid. I probably won't play it as I do not own a PS4, but I've been morbidly curious about this game, and overall it seems that Kojima will deliver a good product.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Some combat:
p4LZkBB.gif

GkUhHy1.gif

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The SC planetary tech itself is out and playable right now. Wether the game properly release one day or not is not really relevant in the context.

Think it is relevant if its not even finished. Very relevant.

Anyway back OT, wonder what the extent of building structures etc is? And seen people say that highways can be built? Did Kojima say this on the stage?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Era had me convinced this would be a boring game, so it's nice to see some good reception over here. I'll wait for the reviews though, but I'm optimistic.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused, why would anyone expect the world to NOT be mostly empty?

Are yall just completely ignoring the entire setting of Death Stranding? I mean, the world has basically ended and is mostly in ruin, with rain that accelerates time killing off anything with a short life span within seconds and terrorists with the power to destroy entire cities, just to mention a couple of the crazy things going on in the world.

Sep 28, 2018
While star citizen is impressive, the planet(s) in it don't have that much detail and topography. Very little rivers and water for example. Feel free to provide a concrete example, and not just the lazy look it up yourself drive by post.

I've got to work.

I dont even know if this landscape IS procedurally generate, but I can't imagine a designer would come up with something so dull and lifeless on purpose.

Like I said, it reminds me of FF15s world. Huge but bare and lifeless feeling. Like a computer generated artwork.

My point was the landscape looks barren and boring. If you dont agree that's fine with me.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks really good hopefully we'll get an english version of this.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I still don't know what to think if it's for me but this gameplay did help me somewhat. It's rather unique and intriguing so it stands out. I just hope it's not a bore fest if it's too slow paced.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Are yall just completely ignoring the entire setting of Death Stranding? I mean, the world has basically ended and is mostly in ruin, with rain that accelerates time killing off anything with a short life span within seconds and terrorists with the power to destroy entire cities, just to mention a couple of the crazy things going on in the world.
At this point it hard to tell who is serious or not.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn this is def not for me. More in the line of a No Man's Sky maybe. The music and the visuals are stunning though

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Any confirmation on whether we need PS Plus for the online functionality?
There are quite a few single player games where even when you don't have it, and can still use all the online features in the single player campaigns.
Nier Automata for example.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I've got to work.

I dont even know if this landscape IS procedurally generate, but I can't imagine a designer would come up with something so dull and lifeless on purpose.

Like I said, it reminds me of FF15s world. Huge but bare and lifeless feeling. Like a computer generated artwork.

My point was the landscape looks barren and boring. If you dont agree that's fine with me.
The problem is that you seem to be completely ignoring the context of the world situation. It is all super tied into the story and such.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Not gonna watch these since I'm getting the game Day One anyway. I do have a lot of doubts and I'm getting a bit tired of the constant "GOAT" references (mainly because they take away from the actually-released work of other people) but I'm willing to give this a chance. Despite the thousands of strawmen that people have lined up for those who aren't 100% hyped for the game I'm actually interested in a more non-violent title that focuses on traversal.
The problem is that you seem to be completely ignoring the context of the world situation. It is all super tied into the story and such.

Unless Kojima was legally obliged to make that setting and let it influence the game's design arguments that boil down to "the game justifies the game," will never work.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
wouldn't be surprised if vol 2 of the presentation will show the ww2 hellworld gameplay

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

We've seen this before with many games. People overhype it to sin because of one bloke on the project only for it to never meet the loft expectations.

The combat looks standard. Punch, punch, kick. Shoot, shoot, shoot. There's no innovation or that special "something" in the way that the combat works. We've seen it before, and that is just the way it is.

A lot of animation and gameplay elements seem a little janky. For a game focused on "movie" like elements, it sure looks less fluid than many of 2019's titles.

Yes, the gameplay looks a little boring. There appears to be a lot of micromanagement. Whilst this is superb for some people, it isn't what a lot of people were hoping for.

I am not a person who enjoys shooty shooty bang bang games, so I do not come at this with a preconceived notion that the game "mUst Be ActIOn PaCkEd!" to be good, but I was expecting more than this.

It looks like an average game. No need to get upset over it. If you're excited, then honestly I really hope you enjoy the game. Personally, at this moment in time, I'm only in it for the story but even then it seems like it'll be one of those stories where it over promises and under delivers due to the sheer complexity of it all.

Please, enjoy the game!

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Is this a serious question? The world, lore, the science fiction, the systems based mechanics, the online Meta gameplay, the fantastic fidelity, the eccentric approach to traversal, and most importantly-the game being something completely new and fresh.

I'm in the same boat really. The more I see of the game, the less excited I get. It's been an exercise of smoke and mirrors in a way. I was really hyped for all the obscure story based trailer stuff, but nothing of gameplay has me particularly excited. Kojima is a bugger for saying things like "I'll have to invent new words to describe my game because there is no genre invented for this yet"..then you see it and it's an open world action game.

Character animation looks slow and clunky, as has been mentioned. The world looks very empty too.

That said, I have always found Kojima somewhat over-rated. A great creator, yes. But not head and shoulders above others. MG5 was great mechanically, but the world often felt dead (as it looks here), the treatment/visualisation of Quiet was borderline creepy and the script was an abomination. He's doing strange things with female characters again in this game too (Mama and Fragile as character names? Really?! Might as well call them Dishwasher and Baby-maker).

I'm looking forward to it, but I'd take Sam Lake over Kojima from a personal point of view.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
Looks OK. I can't understand people finding it the greatest thing ever. Then again, I'm not sure I understand the social part of it.

Could go either way. Still more interesting than 99% of games out there.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna watch these since I'm getting the game Day One anyway. I do have a lot of doubts and I'm getting a bit tired of the constant "GOAT" references (mainly because they take away from the actually-released work of other people) but I'm willing to give this a chance.

Unless Kojima was legally obliged to make that setting and let it influence the game's design arguments that boil down to "the game justifies the game," will never work.
This plain silly and you know that

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
One thing that stood out during this was that the AI doesn't seem as good as what you'd expect from a Kojima game. The AI in the MGS games was pretty damn good, but it's not particularly impressive here.
You also don't know what difficulty this is being played on. This could be the easiest mode for all you know which would explain the AI. It really isn't fair to be making judgements like that when you don't have the full story.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Any confirmation on whether we need PS Plus for the online functionality?
There are quite a few single player games where even when you don't have it, and can still use all the online features in the single player campaigns.
Nier Automata for example.
On the bottom of the PlayStation blog post:
"*Internet connection required for asynchronous multiplayer features. "
So still unclear regarding PS Plus

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
We've seen this before with many games. People overhype it to sin because of one bloke on the project only for it to never meet the loft expectations.

The combat looks standard. Punch, punch, kick. Shoot, shoot, shoot. There's no innovation or that special "something" in the way that the combat works. We've seen it before, and that is just the way it is.

A lot of animation and gameplay elements seem a little janky. For a game focused on "movie" like elements, it sure looks less fluid than many of 2019's titles.

Yes, the gameplay looks a little boring. There appears to be a lot of micromanagement. Whilst this is superb for some people, it isn't what a lot of people were hoping for.

I am not a person who enjoys shooty shooty bang bang games, so I do not come at this with a preconceived notion that the game "mUst Be ActIOn PaCkEd!" to be good, but I was expecting more than this.

It looks like an average game. No need to get upset over it. If you're excited, then honestly I really hope you enjoy the game. Personally, at this moment in time, I'm only in it for the story but even then it seems like it'll be one of those stories where it over promises and under delivers due to the sheer complexity of it all.

Please, enjoy the game!

If you don't want to upset people, then don't call something average when it's clearly not. If you want something to call average, take it out on Anthem or something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like an average game. No need to get upset over it.

I'm not upset, it's just hilarious to me how transparent you are. It's one thing to think a game looks average (I certainly think a bunch of otherwise praised Sony and Nintendo exclusives are average as fuck), it's a completely different thing to pre-emptively lament (whine about, even) the scores it might or might not get.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I put it on a random minute and saw Reedus character running down a mountain and that E3 trailer music

SO FUCKING GOOD

Will watch later today

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Well, I've watched the entire thing now. I guess the social strand system refers to the async multiplayer elements in here? Saw the character pull out a "strand" item to choke out a dude. Don't know what that means. The enemies also seemed to be knocked out when he shot them with the Dead Space-like beam weapon. The boss fight looked pretty impressive, but mechanically it didn't seem super fun. I wonder if the ghost that appeared and helped out was another player or a NPC.

The world seems surprisingly empty, but I guess it'll be populated by stuff players leave around. I hope that will include vegetation and animals. That would be cool. The general vibe I got about what I saw is that certain areas are post-civilization while others seem like they're pre-human civilization, kind of like this ancient earth where there's just nothing but rock, gases and liquids.

The mailman assignments don't seem super compelling. How does the WWI/II gameplay that we saw even fit into this? Maybe the world is just kind of a sandbox and the story stuff happens in instanced zones? I look forward to seeing how it all comes together. Still very vague so far.

Lots of mechanics, meters and menus it seems. Something about stamina, perception as well as carrying capacity. Then there's the hot springs stuff, playing harmonica for the baby to boost some meter. Whenever someone complains Monster Hunter is impenetrable, I'll point to this lmao.

Also, did people notice how the camera "blinked" at certain times? At the very beginning in the convo with that skull face dude.
And also during the monster fight after he used abilities/items.

Yeah I noticed the blinking but you can tell Kojima added it in during the editing of the footage.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be trending in the US and France. Where else are you seeing it trend across the EU?

RN5wA3S.png

GRUsBuY.png

Also it was in the top 10 in the UK and other countries. Which is impressive considering that DS gameplay came out while most Europeans were asleep and gamers there have yet to see it. It's also trending in other countries outside of the EU

TBpHiLo.png

I17FNgk.png

Etc etc

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not upset, it's just hilarious to me how transparent you are. It's one thing to think a game looks average (I certainly think a bunch of otherwise praised Sony and Nintendo exclusives are average as fuck), it's a completely different thing to pre-emptively lament (whine about, even) the scores it might or might not get.

You know how it goes these days. Game is overhyped, it is scored extremely high by the media and then a couple of weeks later, the medicority of it is identified by the players.

For example, Super Mario Odyssey. It is hailed as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. Is it? Hell no. It's overrated and pales in comparison to most Mario games.

It's a common cycle with games. It's overhyped, people hail it as the second coming, it reviews well and lets people down in reality.

If you don't want to upset people, then don't call something average when it's clearly not. If you want something to call average, take it out on Anthem or something.

You cannot call something 'clearly not' average.

Me saying something looks average is subjective. You saying it is 'clearly not' is very much objective and, thus, incorrect.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing other users

They shit posts in every DS thread, what do you expect?

Oct 27, 2017
The complaints of 'it looks empty' does not make any sense. The purpose of the game is to actually rebuild stuff in that landscape with other people online.

Its like saying you dont like mario maker before the levels gets build lol.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
We have a kojima productions discord if anyone wants to join, just pm me if you're interested.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I really want to like this, really, but Kojima seems to be doubling down on MGSV's weaker features (traversing barrren environments) while ignoring its strenghts in favor of survival elements, which to me is very disappointing.

I wish he and his studio would decide between making a gamey-ass open-world game or a purely narrative-driven experience. MGSV wasn't able to weave those design philosophies successfully, and nothing I've seen in the presentation suggests DS is going to fare much better.

You know how it goes these days. Game is overhyped, it is scored extremely high by the media and then a couple of weeks later, the medicority of it is identified by the players.

For example, Super Mario Odyssey. It is hailed as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. Is it? Hell no. It's overrated and pales in comparison to most Mario games.

It's a common cycle with games. It's overhyped, people hail it as the second coming, it reviews well and lets people down in reality.
I can't help but agree with this. I'm getting serious Phantom Pain pre-release vibes from all this, and I find it weird other people don't.

The complaints of 'it looks empty' does not make any sense. The purpose of the game is to actually rebuild stuff in that landscape with other people online.

Its like saying you dont like mario maker before the levels gets build lol.
We can only judge what we see, and some people just don't trust strangers to carry the game for Kojima. Besides that, what are players supposed to build anyway? I see a lack of authored content in the open world, and players dropping new traversal methods and survival kits here and there isn't going to help with that.