• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting if you look at story trophies, something like only 30% of players got past chapter 3, at least on PS4.

Looks like ~42% finished episode 3, and ~30% of players completed the game.

[...] I happened to notice (from the completion rate stats) that quite a few folks just stopped playing, after completing the section you mention above:
  • There was a relatively big dropoff (1.0%) between completion of Episode 13 (30.3% of all players) and completion of the final episode, Episode 14 (29.3% of all players).
  • For comparison, looking at the preceding completion rates: the Ep11=> Ep12 dropoff rate and the Ep12 => Ep13 dropoff rate are both much lower than 1.0% (0.3% and 0.4%, respectively), even though the final episode is actually shorter than the two that came before it.
Perhaps a lot of folks didn't realize that there was another mission to complete, after all that running (and seeing the credits).

A bit unfortunate (that KojiPro decided to roll the credits prematurely), since the final episode was comparatively well-received by a lot of players: I noticed that even people who disliked the majority of the game's cutscenes still ended up liking the final episode (for example: one / two), and many even found it deeply moving at the very end. My guess is a lot of players turned the game off before...

...before regaining control of Sam here, for the final mission:

[Episode 14] Order 70: Cremation: BB
  1. Objective: Delivery BB to the incinerator.
  2. Tips: This mission has you take BB to the local Incinerator - the same as the one you took Bridget's body to in the very mission mission. In case you forgot, head left once you leave Capital Knot City, and follow the river up into the mountains. There's a ladder and ropes that can help you across the river and up the cliff as you go - so don't worry if you don't have them on you. As you approach the facility, Sam will stop for a cutscene. After that, head inside and access the terminal for another cutscene - and the ending. Enjoy!.
  3. Unlocks: 'Not Around' sound data, 'I'll Keep Coming' sound data, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight Sound Data, BB's Theme sound data, Almost Nothing feat. Okay Kaya sound data, Please Don't Stop (Chapter 2) sound data, Please Don't Stop (Chapter 1) sound data, new features added to Private Room: 'Change Color Scheme', 'Memories of Cliff'

Some other notes on the ending, from a previous thread:
And a note about about the elder that I've mentioned before, which has some thematic resonance for some folks:
  • The Elder is skeptical of the UCA: "...I'm an immigrant, you see. Nothing special about that—whole country was built by immigrants. Right off the bat I could see it wasn't quite the land o' the free I'd been led to believe, but for a while there, it wasn't so bad. Even bought into the American Dream for a minute. I mean hell, they let a black guy and a woman take a shot at the presidency, you know? Didn't last, though. Somewhere along the line, people became so damned...intolerant. [...] We even elected a guy right before the Death Stranding that wanted to build a wall along the whole border—stop anyone like me from coming in. Once that talk started I reckoned that was that. How could I expect a goddamn thing from a country that didn't want me? How could I hope to get by in land where the weak and needy got fucked over for profit and peace of mind?"
  • But he does eventually join the UCA: "...Borders, countries, governments – it's all bullshit. Least that's how it was, and maybe always will be, but…if you really believe that there chiral network of yours can bring people together, no matter what walls stand between 'em, then spread it all over. But you damn well better make sure that you do right by each and every American – only then can you ask them to do right by the UCA. That's the social contract, and don't you ever forget it. I'm taking a chance on you, Bridges, not because I believe in you and yours, but because I want to. Don't let me down again..."
  • The Elder says later: "...Rebuild the roads, and you rebuild the dream, is that it? That old American classic, the belief that success and prosperity are within everyone's reach? Well, I may not be much for your UCA and your plan to rebuild the country, but if you can finally make that one work, I'll raise a glass to you, that's for sure..."
  • Just incidentally, Die Hardman had similar reservations about the UCA at one point, expressed in one of the interviews: "...Every time a new state joined the union, they had to add another star. It was easy to believe the country would keep on growing forever, end up taking over the world. Hell, most people believed just that. Good old manifest destiny—the mantra used to justify countless atrocities centuries ago. You can believe I told the president we damn well better not carry on that particular legacy..."
However:
  • NPCs will live or die depending upon your decisions in Death Stranding: "We have a character who lives deep underground. He is sick and needs medicine, and Sam can deliver it," Kojima told the crowd (thanks wccftech via Reddit). "Since this happens at the beginning of the story, this is a must. After completing this quest, the player himself chooses the following actions: you can constantly go to the old man and carry medicine; you can deliver other items; You can listen to his stories from the past. But the player is constantly moving forward and moving away from the character. And I'm sure that there are gamers who forget about this old man. And then they will remember and return to it. Since they have not carried medicine to him all this time, he will die by this moment. Through such actions, a connection arises with the character. We really hope that the significance of the connection between people - how it is formed, how it develops - will be revealed, and it will be interesting for you to play it."
  • See also: https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/So_Long,_Sam
  • Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVFKukB3P6E
I think for most folks the elder died, but some indicate that they reached the open-ended post-game (Episode 15), and managed to keep him alive:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece. The only AAA game that actually tried to do something different this gen and probably the most memorable experience. While the reception was mixed, I think this game will be fondly remembered in the future.

Sep 17, 2020
GOTG-tier and almost GOAT
I did nothing on my free time but play it straight till the 100 hour platinum
It was amazing and beat all my expectations
I will replay it next year on PS5

Whatever Kojima does next, maybe it'll be more sucessful, but I doubt it will be as good.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
GotY 2019, and one of the best games of the generation. It's one of a very, very small list of games this gen that do something meaningful with their open worlds alongside The Outer Wilds and Breath of the Wild.

My issue now is I can't stop dreaming about what a Death Stranding 2 might be like with full utilization of the DualSense.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to make this thread when I saw this tweetthe game's themes resonate with me even more today than they did a year ago.

Sure the story isn't executed perfectly by any means, but the earnest theme of human connection without physical interaction and overcoming loneliness of an isolated and quarantined world was, once again, EEIRLY accurate in a way MGS2 was. Not only due to COVID, but also due to the massive tensions and conflicts the US has had this year all while dealing with COVID. Then even more on the nose was the importance of the postal service this year.

The gameplay loop was brilliantly crafted for a first attempt and something so different from the usual AAA fare, although I didn't like it as much as MGS (I'm a sucker for well designed Kojima bosses). And really emphasized the themes as well.

It's not a Top 5 GOTG or anything for me, but it's an extremely special game and I'm so glad we have it

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
GotY 2019, and one of the best games of the generation. It's one of a very, very small list of games this gen that do something meaningful with their open worlds alongside The Outer Wilds and Breath of the Wild.

My issue now is I can't stop dreaming about what a Death Stranding 2 might be like with full utilization of the DualSense.
completely agree about the open world, the brilliance of the world design itself, just like BotW, has once again has slipped under the radar when having discussions about it.

Very different uses of open world, but brilliant uses all the same.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The loop for the first hours really sucks. Do what feels like the exact same delivery mission over and over and watch a 20 minute cutscene in between each. It just felt like it should've presented itself faster by what you guys say about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Game is unironically great. My first Kohima game. It's has some missteps for sure but the gameplay loop was so rewarding. You were constantly being given new toys, upgrades, etc. IIRC I spent the better part of a month playing that game everyday

im one trophy away from the plat and the only reason I haven't gone back to get it is because I'm afraid of logging on and finding a bunch of holes in my infrastructure that I'm not interested in plugging :(

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's been a year?? yeesh

one of those "that's cool.. lemme get back to it in a bit" games i buy at launch. i ]need to quit buying games full priced at launch :/

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
its one of those games that the more time passes and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Its a special one

though its still not one of my recent favorites, I find it to be bloated with unecessary content at times amd Kojima's writing was to campy for me in some instances as well

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this unique game and I wish they make 60fps PS5 port with DualSense support. This game could be enhanced by quite a bit with some controller features.

Oct 25, 2017
Really special. The moments the game creates are unlike anything else, and it still retains the Kojima signature of giving you options and variety, if you want to use them. Loads of flaws in the storytelling and mechanics that I'm sure all in this thread are aware of but when everything is working it's brilliant, and those scenes with Mads and Die Hardman are something else.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I bought the game upon PS4 release but didn't get much time with it in 2019, completing it over January and February this year. It's not without its faults but I loved it and in retrospect it was definitely my 2019 GOTY. If there was more content and achievements I wouldn't have stopped at the 130 or so hours I reached and would still be playing it now. That gameplay loop got me good.

Oct 27, 2017
I found it.. alright? The game lost me at something like the 17-20 hour mark as I was losing interest and going through the motions with it. I expected to either loathe or love Death Stranding, but instead just found it a bit of a boring plod.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's the modern day Shenmue. Groundbreaking and thoughtfully crafted and realized and both some of my favorite games of all time. 100% it on PlayStation and again on PC.

but I get why some people don't like them....

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Really liked it, played about 120h until I gave up on the platinum due to putting every kind of delivery at 60.
Ever since then I tried to comeback but I just can't, don't know why but I feel it's a one and done game

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding made fetch quest entertaining.

Boss fight is surprisingly lacking and not fun for a Hideo Kojima game, but everything else is great. There's something absolutely fun trekking trough mountain with a stack of box on your back.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
I loved DS so much, one of the best games ever for me if not the best. I love how positive it is about humanity, it's a game I always come back to in dark moments. Here's hoping it gets some PS5 support, playing it with the Dualsense and with the knowledge of how prophetic it has been for the whole 2020 should make for a nice experience.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Only Kojima can make a game about fucking delivering stuff to strangers fun.

It was rough around the edges (the boss fights are meh at best) but I had an amazing time with the game.

Let's see what they cook up next

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
What a game this was, nothing else quite like it.

Yeah the story got a bit silly towards the end but it was quite an experience.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I still want to give it a shot. I'm a bit worried I'll get bored of it quickly and so I'm waiting until it's cheaper, but I definitely want to try it.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the most unique games in a long time. I really loved it, except for one or two segments of the story.

Can't wait to see what the studio is up to next.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
My GOTY for 2019 and I really didn't expect to like it after the reviews were so flat.

I found that game to be almost meditative, and I got the same sort of feeling while playing BOTW, being alone to your own thoughts with chill music.

It was awesome

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Truly enjoyed it; such a great experience (much covered by the OP). The notion of gameplay being about navigating the terrain while bearing crazy loads, tied in so nicely with the thematic content. Wonderful.

The social aspects were also integrated so well, and I had a lot of fun building roads and skyline paths, and seeing others complete them with me. That feeling when you're up a hard path and you see someone left a rope that can help you...you *want* to give them some 'likes'.

Definitely up for a replay, esp. (as others have mentioned) if there are next-gen enhancements.

I don't keep up on awards and stuff like that, but I'd give it a GOTY or two.

Last edited:

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Loved it to Death. Platinumed it within a week of release, I had a lot of free time and I basically lived in Death Stranding's world for the whole week. Would like to replay the whole thing when I have the free time, its a bit difficult now since I've started working.

I think it's tied with Sekiro as my favourite game of 2019.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing and really impactful game. Sometimes i still thinking about it and its been a year

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Unique but a chore.
I understand why people could find it fun but it wasn't my case.
And the story really wasn't my cup of tea, especially the ending.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I ranged from mildly to extremely disappointed by the story, bosses, and characters. The story and characters especially which is what I was excited about going in.

Despite that though I out over 90 hours into it and enjoyed it immensely, the gameplay was surprisingly really fun and addictive.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't finish it after 15 hours I was bored.
I can see that this game has its audience but I'm not part of it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it really slowly since the steam launch, up to 27 and a half hours according to steam and I just reached Chapter 6. Played it a bit on PS4 when it initially launched but I had a ton of other games I was more invested in and fell off of it pretty early in and just decided to double-dip on PC where I'd actually play it through.

Even though I haven't finished it, when it comes to gameplay, it impresses me on how well all of its systems come together to make a game about delivering packages extremely fun, I absolutely love its ambition and originality. It always impresses me when a game like this comes around with a team that isn't afraid to be unconventional here and there and try new things to try to accomplish their goal.

Obviously no comment on story so far, but I've been enjoying it so far. Pretty sure I haven't hit the meat of the story just yet.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Amazing game. It has a very special place in my heart.

I would definitely play it all over again if DualSense support was implemented.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this game despite the story being not so great at times. Loved the gameplay a lot and I'm usually not super into open world games.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I love the game like how I love the last guardian. Both can be annoying to control but there's something magical about them which make them stay in my memory

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Best game of the generation for me, absolutely loved it from the beginning. Just a fantastic experience all around.

misterb2001

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't get away with the game after the first 2 or 3 hours. But seeing ziplines and shit in the GIFs above makes me think I didn't give it enough of a chance.

It'll be one of 4 PS4 games that I'll give another chance to complete when my PS5 arrives while I wait for Cyberpunk.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

love it lol

It was certainly one my favorite experience of this current gen. Just the idea of the delivery packages sounded so ridiculous until I delivered that first one.
Between the terrain being your worse enemy, the strand gameplay of building bridges and sharing items and that batshit storyline. I'm very grateful that Sony allowed Kojima to bless us again with another one of his wild rides, the man really is one in a million.

Also shoutout to some of the best gameplay items of this current gen:
EuphoricScaredGrasshopper-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

OptimisticSmallBunting-max-1mb.gif
mind blown about the ladder! how didn't i think of that.

Lmao at the zipline, i've ridden a few troll ones myself.
Really love this game, i haven't been able to play anything else since i started and that says a lot for me, apex new season is out with a new map and i still haven't booted it yet.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love it. It's one of the best games of the generation for me and I'll always cherish this was the last pre-pandemic game I played :/

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I got to chapter 3, really love the mechanics and traversal. Some stuff came up in real life so had to stop but I will definitely revisit it and complete this game as the time I did play was enjoyable. Just hope they do a PS5 patch asap.