• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Justice League will...

• Return in the next comic

Votes: 94 18.4%
  • Return in less than three months

Votes: 155 30.3%
  • Return in about a year

Votes: 201 39.3%
  • Return before the next DC movie comes out

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Never come back. This is it!

Votes: 23 4.5%

• Total voters

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like they're still trying to use their discarded 5G plans but I don't know why. 5G sounded awful and it was rightfully canned so I have to question why DC is still trying to force this idea.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Defining the JL as the big 7 (or less based on the cover) is a good way to get around the lack of heroes such a story would suggest.

At least with Heroes Reborn they went for most of the maneline Avengers team + the entire FF.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
What a bad cover. The perspective is so messed up

The premise is really boring but I'd be very interested in a main JP team with no batpeople, superpeople, speedpeople, lanternpeople or wonderpeople.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
George Harrison: It's been done.

51TOaVw7tmL.jpg

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'll admit, it is nice to see Stephanie Brown in a big spread again. And Plastic Man.

They should really not have bothered with this. Just have them sucked into another dimension or do something less permanent. We know this isn't forever, lean into that and tell a cool story during their absence without the silliness. I thought Dick and Gordon as Batman was fun, and I don't recall that being presented as anything other than a neat twist until Batman came back.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Superman is currently getting his ass kicked by Mongul on Warworld and both Batman and Wonder Woman have crossovers soon.

This isn't doing anything outside of the JL book.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they are killing Superman on the 30th anniversary of "Death of Superman" says all you need to know about whether this will stick

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Superman is currently getting his ass kicked by Mongul on Warworld and both Batman and Wonder Woman have crossovers soon.

This isn't doing anything outside of the JL book.
A lot of times it feels like the JL has been its own timeline/continuity. At least during the Brian Hitch run.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I remember I was watching a movie and this dude killed half the planet which lasted around an hour and half or so of runtime until it was all reversed.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also Where is Guy? I assumed they killed him and not John. Also Where is martian manhunter and Can Dick be batmna again?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
"Comic books will be changed forever"

They'll be back soon enough. I'm reading "The Death of Doctor Strange" at the moment and I have no doubts he'll be back, probably by the time his next movie is out.

Heck, in general the "character dead/out of action" trope is wearing so thin these days... Iron Man died recentish, so did Cap, Spidey is currently recovering after being at deaths door a couple of times, all the mutants are now alive again for reasons...

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The day that they permanently kill off all of those characters is the same day that DC also dies for good.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they ordered the coffins by importance.
Imagine explaining to Mera that Batman's coffins needs to bring slightly above Aquaman's

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
DC is in a really weird place right now, and these hackneyed death stories are so lame. JUST TELL GOOD JUSTICE LEAGUE STORIES.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it's just due to the lighting emphasis, but is Damian darker skinned in the mainline comics now too?

Wayne Family Adventures continuing to be the best thing DC has done.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
But have they brought Wally back yet?

(Every Young Justice convo ever)

To their credit, the production team behind this series have previously killed heroes, villains, and even innocents without retracting their deaths later. That alone has given the show more credibility and gravitas, especially in Season 4's current running plotline about one of the series' primary protagonists dying in action.

Of course, we have yet to see IF they'll reverse course and Wally will return, but I want to have faith that Greg Wisemen and co. won't do this and will stick to their guns.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Also forgot to mention that Aquaman is going to be starring with Jackson in the upcoming Aquamen book and is also about to be in an Aquaman crossover with Jackson, Black Manta, and a few others.

These deaths are not going to exist outside of this arc.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I generally like super hero deaths in comics even though the execution in this particular instance is pretty awful.

Removing an iconic character from one of the big cape universes for a time, and replacing them with a new version of that character, almost always produces fertile ground in which new themes and concepts can be explored and allows a lot more license to experiment within that book. It can be exciting, the audience will tolerate more outside the boundaries of what they usually accept and if it's a promotion for a sidekick or what have you, it can bring a lot of enduring growth, change and history to that character, even if they end up reverting to their classic role.

I actually dislike comic deaths that are intended to feel permanent, because they're never *actually* permanent and I think it's bullshit for people who truly love those characters to have to put up with them being "dead" for ten or twenty years. Jean Grey I'm not your biggest fan but I'm talking about you.

I'd also challenge the notion that having the character drop through a portal or whatever for a couple years is significantly different or somehow less objectionable, like it's practically exactly the same. I don't think it matters at all how they cleared the board for some other character provided it's always temporary

StargazerXL

Jun 11, 2018
Surprise! The heroes in the coffins are actually their counterparts from the next Earth over in the multiverse. Status quo preserved!

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know cause OP makes it notable like the Death of Superman in the 90's which was HUGE.

No one even remembers the time Batman died then well came back eventually pretty quick

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Bold if DC goes through with it.

I guess they will become titles now like Captain America, maybe they are not exactly like them but will uphold and improve on the ideals that made them heroes.

Who ever is close to a power house and somehwat a boyscout will be the new superman, someone from the bat family will take up the title Batman, etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Bold if DC goes through with it.

I guess they will become titles now like Captain America, maybe they are not exactly like them but will uphold and improve on the ideals that made them heroes.

Who ever is close to a power house and somehwat a boyscout will be the new superman, someone from the bat family will take up the title Batman, etc.
We're already past that. Barry and Wally are both Flash. Arthur Curry and Jackson Hyde are both Aquaman (or will be by time this arc starts), there's 4275 human Green Lanterns, Jace Fox is Batman along with Bruce Wayne, Jon Kent is Superman of Earth while Clark is out getting tortured by Mongul, and Wonder Woman is literally about to become a team book because that's how many of them there's about to be.

In fact, all of this shit is happening while this arc happens, which goes to show that this arc isn't going to be some permanent change.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
I read tons of comic books from the 90s and after stuff like Azrael Batman, Electro Supes, Ben Reilly Spider-Man, Heroes Reborn, Hal Jordan becoming Parallax and others you can already tell they are doing this for shock value and bring the OG gang back a few months/ within a year later. LIke others have said, Batman "recently" (like 5-10 years ago?) died and came back rather quickly. I am not falling for this stuff :D

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I read tons of comic books from the 90s and after stuff like Azrael Batman, Electro Supes, Ben Reilly Spider-Man, Heroes Reborn, Hal Jordan becoming Parallax and others you can already tell they are doing this for shock value and bring the OG gang back a few months/ within a year later. LIke others have said, Batman "recently" (like 5-10 years ago?) died and came back rather quickly. I am not falling for this stuff :D
Fuck Batman, Wonder Woman has only been alive for a single story arc.

They're not about to kill her again. Not even the X-Men have this kind of turn around and they've lmass produced reincarnation.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol they're not gonna kill Batman. I'd believe any other person on that list, but there's no way they're gonna kill Batman.