• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I would also agree that it is too early. We are about to get into a year of Marvel related content. In my case, I couldnt care less for the looter shooter stuff but I am holding off to play it on PS5 which I cant buy yet.

That video is a bit ropey though. Seems like a lo-fi version of Matt McMuscles "Wha Happen" but not funny and with less insight / details.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I would say too early but that would mean i had hope for this game
Unless they do a major overhaul the game is dead

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I can't really comment very much about the game itself, but I found this video itself to be pretty poor and not very informative. He spends a lot of time on pre-release and focuses on things which aren't really important. Like, who cares that the Marvel Avengers game has merchandise attached to it? It was also funny that the game's characters didn't look like the MCU versions but I don't buy for a second that it impacted the game's success.

He also seems to suggest that the game putting focus on Kamala hurt the game as well which I also don't buy at all. His criticisms of the gameplay itself also seems shallow to me. I think this video would benefit by comparing this game to other more successful live service games to get a better idea of where this game drops the ball. He has brief comparisons to Destiny 2 and Anthem but nothing significant.

I'm not very familiar with this channel but it seems like this is an ongoing series for him and they all seem to be of similar length which would explain why this video feels so rote and perfunctory. I was hoping that this video would be much more in depth and offer more insight.

This is spot on. It is a shockingly poorly researched video. The game has GLARING issues which are low-hanging fruit for videos such as these (the bugs, the massive delays to post-launch content, the Spider-Man exclusivity controversy, the perfect storm of COVID-19 and wildfires on a studio based in California), but instead there's focus on... Hawkeye? The number of "prequel novels?" It's bizarre. He spends almost a minute of the video just saying "Marvel Avengers." There's very little of substance here at all.

I've seen a few of this channel's videos before, and I've never seen one in such a sad state. A few were quite good, in fact. Is he so desperate for clicks that he has to beat journalists to the punch, and make a 20+ minute video out of a series of misunderstood, regurgitated headlines, just because this game is the hot topic du jour?

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I love the channel and the time they seem to spend in the videos and i understand talking about avengers might bring views in a month like december but this is really rushed the game has been a disaster so far but until they try to launch it in next gen and how that does there is a lot that can happen around what is a very powerful brand.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cynical about but this doesn't seem like a great video probably why you should wait before making a video i guess zzzz5zzz5

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That was an informative video except for the elements about Kamala Khan, that was unwarranted given that she was the saving grace of the game.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How do you release a game like this with only 3 supervillains?
None of which are even remotely A list.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
With this game it's spot on. As a GaaS it's dead as they get. After this first late content drop they'll see the numbers that came back and then how much of them they've retained, and the numbers won't add up. New story missions are a nice treat, a sweetner for people already engeged in an ongoing game, they are not something that will convince anyone to keep playing when the post-game is as piss-poor as they come.

I really dont agree with much you said as I quite enjoyed the game. I think its definitly too early to call anything on this game.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I really dont agree with much you said as I quite enjoyed the game. I think its definitly too early to call anything on this game.
You're free to disagree with anyone's opinion. What aspects of the post campaign do you enjoy? I found it to be buggy, uninteresting, boringly repetitive and ultimately pointlessly self-defeating to engage with. I have 98 hours with the digital deluxe version of the game, so about 85 post-campaign GaaS hours. EDIT: I also totalled 30 hours in the beta over 3 weekends. The only true enjoyment in this time was mucking around with my son in co-op; actually engaging with the content was all very standard and routine. That's my experience. As for going forwards, they can twiddle settings, fix bugs and add more stuff on top, but it's not going to change the underlying problems of a deeply flawed GaaS game.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
This game pulled an Anthem. Crazy when you consider how big a franchise it is.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
You're free to disagree with anyone's opinion. What aspects of the post campaign do you enjoy? I found it to be buggy, uninteresting, boringly repetitive and ultimately pointlessly self-defeating to engage with. I have 98 hours with the digital deluxe version of the game, so about 85 post-campaign GaaS hours. EDIT: I also totalled 30 hours in the beta over 3 weekends. The only true enjoyment in this time was mucking around with my son in co-op; actually engaging with the content was all very standard and routine. That's my experience. As for going forwards, they can twiddle settings, fix bugs and add more stuff on top, but it's not going to change the underlying problems of a deeply flawed GaaS game.

I like the story and gameplay loop of this game. Its as simple reason as that for me personally.

They fixed a lot of stuff that was wrong at launch by now. I do agree with the criticism that it needs more varied content.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to nitpick but:

It's Marvel's Avengers not "Marvel Avengers." It wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't say it every other sentence.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play won't do shit when there is no content and the loot system is so bad it not even worth trying to make a well built hero.

They need focus on real problems and not stupid PR grabs that nobody is playing the game for. Cap's shield reflects lasers now? That'll be useful when I'm still not seeing a point to playing the game because the loot sucks and barely any content.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
While I would not call the video great ( the harping on Kamala seems really out of place) I have to also say that calling it premature is a bit optimistic, even with recent bumps the game lost most of its player base and I do not see any signs pointing towards a recovery that would justify the amount of resources it would take to fix the game.

steamdb.info

Marvel's Avengers · AppID: 997070

Assemble your team of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, embrace your powers, and live your Super Hero dreams. Marvel's Avengers Steam charts, data, update history.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I have 0 interest in the GAAS part of the game, and overall I thought the game felt like it was being developed by 2 entirely different teams that were fighting for just what they wanted the game to be. I think the more linear story-oriented segments feel real good
loved that part where Kamala first runs into Hulk and he's chasing her through the Jet, for example
, even if the enemy variety is extremely lackluster. Then you hit the levels that are trying to push the GAAS aspect on you, and the game falters quite a bit, it just feels bland. Those more open-world levels just felt unnecessary.

I think something was certainly there, but it sure ain't the GAAS-oriented stuff. I didn't hate the game, but it's definitely around a 6/10 in that it's pretty average.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are just desperate for this game to fizzle out, but after this latest content release (and generous black friday sales) it seems to be in good health actually. I want to finish the campaign soon so I can play Kate's missions.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-play won't do shit when there is no content and the loot system is so bad it not even worth trying to make a well built hero.

They need focus on real problems and not stupid PR grabs that nobody is playing the game for. Cap's shield reflects lasers now? That'll be useful when I'm still not seeing a point to playing the game because the loot sucks and barely any content.

The loot is bad? Destiny Exotics don't do half what most random 130 gear pieces do in Avengers.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Why is no one talking about the insane load times for this game? I tried with the game guys but the load times didn't do it for me... nope

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
No, that's the biggest problem, you can't actually see it because they want to sell skins.

The joke is... none of the skins are worth buying.
Yeah, I figured that much. Seriously do not know how the fuck they thought that would be a good idea for an arpg. Honestly impressed at how they crashed with such an IP, hopefully, though it makes people realize that creating a successful destiny close is tough

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
It was always a silly complaint. The game is clearly a disaster but that never made much sense.
To be fair I think it does make sense as far as public perception of the Avengers goes. When people think of the avengers, they think about the recent movies and so having a triple a game, that's supposed to be a huge tentpole, come out with different interpretations just sticks out.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
The game is very fun, the launch and the lul between to fix bugs was bad sure, but they are still on for continued dlc, story missions, and characters. Kate Bishop is a beast. They did a lot better with gear for her and I'm expecting them to update the previous character's unique gear too. I didn't expect to be using Kate as if she's Loki + Magik or some cosmic level superhero, all thanks to two pieces of gear that work well for being pretty tanky while allowing for a lot of ability resources. This is just the start, I only just started searching for max gear score equipment for her so it's all temporary pretty much.

đź‘€ She actually looks pretty damn fun. I returned the game a while ago but if they continue in this direction with future characters I might drop back into it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
To be fair I think it does make sense as far as public perception of the Avengers goes. When people think of the avengers, they think about the recent movies and so having a triple a game, that's supposed to be a huge tentpole, come out with different interpretations just sticks out.

Yet we had a hugely successful Spider-Man game, which they changed to look like Tom Holland after the fact.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, the Game Informer reviewer that gave Marvel's Avengers an 8.75/10 is the same guy that gave Cyberpunk 2077 a 9/10. It all makes sense now.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest issue for me is the lack of enemies and bosses. They don't need to add new heroes every time. They need more of everything else.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They are only going to bring back a portion of the player base with Spider-Man so idk how they are going to get everyone else to come back. This game went from needing a Destiny Taken King relaunch next September to needing a Final Fantasy Real Reborn relaunch really fucking quickly.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I will never understand the "They don't look like the actors" complaint

I think it's a little misrepresented. The problem people like me had with the revealed designs wasn't that they didn't have actor likenesses. It's that they looked like they tried to look AS CLOSE as possible to MCU, while fudging designs just slightly so they don't infringe on stuff they don't have rights for. Thus it looked like bootleg MCU.

Basically, you either get likeness rights and go full MCU. Or you do your own thing. This game's art direction is indistinguishable from MCU, minus actual actors.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Death of a Game is a typically solid channel but it's way too early for this. This is coming from someone who didn't even buy the game after being put off from the beta.

The launch has been pretty disastrous for such a popular IP and I know he's probably just trying to get some easy views before the Holidays, but it's only been 3 months. There is potential for turning it around and impressions have been positive for the Kate Bishop DLC.

Granted, it's going to be a massive uphill battle for Crystal Dynamics, but I still say give it some more time.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have just made a good co-op game, without the GAAS. Hope they have learned lessons from this

EDIT:
Death of a Game is a typically solid channel but it's way too early for this. This is coming from someone who didn't even buy the game after being put off from the beta.

The launch has been pretty disastrous for such a popular IP and I know he's probably just trying to get some easy views before the Holidays, but it's only been 3 months. There is potential for turning it around and impressions have been positive for the Kate Bishop DLC.

Granted, it's going to be a massive uphill battle for Crystal Dynamics, but I still say give it some more time.
The game has lost over 90% of it's playerbase, how is it too early? Kate Bishop is not going to get people playing this again.

Spiderman DLC will gain some traction but I think it will be too late by then.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
New story content and occasional new characters are not what's lacking and they're never going to stimulate or reinvigorate a post-campaign playerbase to keep them coming back and start spending (which is the whole point of a service game).

The post-campaign game is terrible. It wants desperately to be a Destiny or Division, but simply lacks anything resembling a fun sandbox/open world that's enjoyable to be out and about doing things in (even vs Destiny's limited destinations of semi-open areas linked by tunnels and corridors, that out-does this game's menu-driven cramped and limited destinations handily). Even Anthem had it beat for that. The vareity of missions in nonexistent. Destiny has Patrols, Lost Sectors, Strikes, Raids, Exotic Quests, various PvP modes, a PvEvP mode and more besides... Marvel's Avengers has the same old stuff in various boxes with different labels. The approach to invisible loot and paid/earned skins was a good attempt in some regards, but feels utterly hollow as a player. The combat itself is good to great depending on the character you're playing, but the scenarios and destinations are limited, checklist and repetitive.

They can add characters X, Y and Z every month for a year and all it'll result in is a small wave of people dipping in and out just as quickly; it would interest some but it's not the kind of userbase cultivation that's required to get people in or keep them invested and prompt their spending.

3 months on, 12 months on, it makes no difference unless the fundamentals of the post-campaign change drastically. It's not too soon to call it. The game in its current form is dead and can't be reanimated with just more of the same. That's why this game is dead now and will remain so until they pull the plug on the servers without a hefty rethink.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
New story content and occasional new characters are not what's lacking and they're never going to stimulate or reinvigorate a post-campaign playerbase to keep them coming back and start spending (which is the whole point of a service game).

The post-campaign game is terrible. It wants desperately to be a Destiny or Division, but simply lacks anything resembling a fun sandbox/open world that's enjoyable to be out and about doing things in (even vs Destiny's limited destinations of semi-open areas linked by tunnels and corridors, that out-does this game's menu-driven cramped and limited destinations handily). Even Anthem had it beat for that. The vareity of missions in nonexistent. Destiny has Patrols, Lost Sectors, Strikes, Raids, Exotic Quests, various PvP modes, a PvEvP mode and more besides... Marvel's Avengers has the same old stuff in various boxes with different labels. The approach to invisible loot and paid/earned skins was a good attempt in some regards, but feels utterly hollow as a player. The combat itself is good to great depending on the character you're playing, but the scenarios and destinations are limited, checklist and repetitive.

They can add characters X, Y and Z every month for a year and all it'll result in is a small wave of people dipping in and out just as quickly; it would interest some but it's not the kind of userbase cultivation that's required to get people in or keep them invested and prompt their spending.

3 months on, 12 months on, it makes no difference unless the fundamentals of the post-campaign change drastically. It's not too soon to call it. The game in its current form is dead and can't be reanimated with just more of the same. That's why this game is dead now and will remain so until they pull the plug on the servers without a hefty rethink.
Great post. Yes, there's so much that needs to be changed and added that it probably won't happen. They royally fucked up with the way they designed post-campaign missions to recycle small environments for near identical missions. That's all they got and it totally sucks.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the "They don't look like the actors" complaint
It's because the game has always looked like it was attempting to copy the MCU visual style, so instead of looking like just another take on the characters, like MvC or Ultimate Alliance, it makes the characters look like store brand versions of the MCU actors

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the posters saying that it's too early to declare the game dead.
The game as it is right now without a significant amount of post game support is going to just keep flopping around with the same tiny barely growing player base. A small player base like that is going to make publishers less likely to commit to pulling the game out of the hole because at that point it becomes a gamble.

Meaning whatever post launch support the game may have had planned is slowly gonna start getting axed once the higher ups realize the numbers arent improving, and the key update that may have helped set the game on the right path will never get launched.

It's why GaaS titles never work unless the title is basically 90% of the studios identity the investment needs to be there on both sides.