• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Is it still not up?! (Can't check myself right now)

Edit: I'm not convinced it's coming out in Europe for some reason. The eShop has already updated with new releases. Does the JP version have English? (Don't have a US eShop account set up)

Pretty frustrated myself, since I can't find any communication about that either. I might just grab the phone version for now.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it just now and saw one of the endings. I liked the actors, costume and set design but the story isn't very original. Definitely a movie with multiple choices more than a game. Gonna go for the other ending next.

Is it still not up?! (Can't check myself right now)

Edit: I'm not convinced it's coming out in Europe for some reason. The eShop has already updated with new releases. Does the JP version have English? (Don't have a US eShop account set up)
Yes, the JP version includes all of the subtitle languages.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, the JP version includes all of the subtitle languages.

Thought so, but wanted to double check. If the UK eShop doesn't have it up within the next few hours, I'll buy it on JP.

I was expecting mediocre reception for this, but can't resist checking out this sort of thing in any case.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I think I unlocked and watched everything in Death Come True on Switch, took me around 4 hours.

The first playthrough takes 2-3h. Quickly getting to the second ending with the skip function takes maybe 30 min.

After having cleared both endings a chapter select function unlocks that quickly lets you fill in the bad endings you missed (works like chapter select on a bluray or a flowchart in a VN). Most of them are just death scenes but a few of the bad endings are worth seeing.

Unlocking bad endings earns you coins, coins unlock the bonus features.

The story feels overly familiar but the good acting and choose your own adventure layer make the experience interesting enough if you're a FMV or VN fans. Interaction is limited to story choices and a few basic deduction scenes that have no fail state. I thought Death Come True looked good, like a modern TV show and not one of those older cheap FMV titles. At least on the handheld screen, the visual effects seemed well-made and they have a unique look to them. The user interface is slick and intuitive. You can skip forward or rewind 10 seconds at any point during a scene which makes going back after a bad ending or unlocking both final endings quick and painless. Really appreciate that they didn't artificially stretch the runtime. It's a 7/10 in my book.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game now. I went into it expecting it to be great, as I kept playing it that changed to "neat", and now I think this game is just OK.

Much like Bandersnatch, this does not revolutionize the genre in any major way, nor does it have twists you haven't seen before. The story is very thin when you consider everything that actually happens, and shares themes with other works you may have seen in the past (Source Code, To The Moon, and The Somnium Files, a game created not that long ago by Kodaka's current co-worker and it's weird that this game is using similar concepts are ones that come to mind right now).

I think this game was badly, or maybe falsely, advertised in multiple ways. First, it promotes a cast of 6 actors but only half of them are relevant to the story, and 2 of the other half only appear in a single bad ending for each character taking no more than 5 minutes of screen time, meaning you can totally miss seeing them at all in your playthrough. Secondly, like it was mentioned earlier in the thread it was told the game would have full subtitles in many languages but as of now none of the bonus content (that is meant to encourage you to go after all bad endings in order to unlock them) is subbed so only players that understand Japanese can appreciate them. And lastly, this is a linear game with all its branching paths leading to bad endings that don't give you any new information, while trailers implied that your choices mattered here.
If I knew all these things beforehand, I'd certainly have adjusted my expectations.

I don't think the main actor is good during emotional scenes, but I really liked the main actress here. Most characters acted in an unnaturally calm and casual way in sequences that should have been tense, and when you add the fact that all violent scenes were badly directed (no blood on screen, weapons/punches/kicks obviously not landing on the actors, sometimes going behind their bodies in relation to the camera and not on/through them as they should) it all took me out of these moments that were supposed to be scary.

The two things I can indeed praise about this game are its very user-friendly UI, so many FMV games fail on this part making seeing everything a hassle, and its soundtrack which I wished would appear more often as some tracks are very good.

I hope Too Kyo Games makes a more substantial game, with a more complex narrative, in the future and will keep following their output, but for 16 dollars that are better games out there than this one.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this on Switch in docked mode and the game almost seems like the FMVs are stuttering? It's hard to explain but something looks off. Also does the game intentionally rewind when the MC first opens a door? So far something about this game seems busted but I don't see anyone else mentioning it.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
The game should be out later today on the Nintendo eShop in EU finally!

In other news, Uchikoshi is hyping the game up on Twitter!

He was also a sweetheart and translated one of the messages where he wasn't sure if it was subtitled in EN, god bless him:

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this on Switch in docked mode and the game almost seems like the FMVs are stuttering? It's hard to explain but something looks off. Also does the game intentionally rewind when the MC first opens a door? So far something about this game seems busted but I don't see anyone else mentioning it.
I played it on the Switch Lite so I know my comment won't be very helpful, but I can say that performance was never an issue with it and didn't encounter these issues you mention; I was even surprised there was no buffering when you'd skip back and forth through the video.

So do the death tube movies ever get subtitles, or are those all only in Japanese?
As of now they're not subbed. Maybe they'd patch the game to add subtitles to the extra videos but there was no mention of that anywhere so don't keep your hopes up :/

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
just finished it, honestly loved it for how much it was. I really enjoyed it.

Really sad the bonus videos aren't localised, that sounds like a huge mistake. I'm guessing they didn't budget for it.

I hope someone subtitles them for YouTube.

my biggest critique is how Nene isn't used at all, she seemed pretty fucked up (and rather funny) so I'm surprised they just...... gave her one scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
My review:

Compelling and overall I had a good time but it's far from perfect. Honestly it feels like they had bigger plans that had to be cut back due to some combination of time/money/storage constraints. As mentioned above I completely missed Nene the first time because she's used in a single bad ending and literally nowhere else. Same with the newscaster; he's not relevant at all. The premise was highly compelling when I started, and I like how neither of the two endings is considered the "bad" ending even though leaving is probably the actual true end of sorts.

While the interactive movie angle is interesting, I can't help but feel this might have ended up as a more fleshed out story/game if they'd gone a more traditional VN route with artwork rather than live action. It would have likely taken less time/money to produce and likely less storage to boot. On the other hand I feel like Kodaka wanted to try something that both felt and *looked* different from the DR series, which I can appreciate.

Iceberg

Oct 28, 2017
I just played and got the first ending. Game feels ok, but the story is too short for my taste. The twist didn't make me feel surprised like the events in 999 or in Danganronpa. It's more a feeling of "ok, so that's all".

I found it funny that I have not met the other girl in the game, but I hope she appears in my second playthrough.

Version on Switch is 0.1 so it seems it's a game in progress, maybe the game is not complete till version 1.0?

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have they said anything about subtitling the extra content?

I just unlocked it. There's a lot. I can't understand any of it.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
No word on plans for the DeathTube subtitles unfortunately. Maybe a kind soul will offer some fan translations eventually.

In other news, Swery has also played the game:

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
No word on plans for the DeathTube subtitles unfortunately. Maybe a kind soul will offer some fan translations eventually.
Hope they add official subs at some point, maybe when the PS4 and PC versions come out.

I imagine the legal threats against uploading videos or even still images won't exactly help convince anyone to do their job for free.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Version on Switch is 0.1 so it seems it's a game in progress, maybe the game is not complete till version 1.0?

Games always release at 1.0, so that sounds like a silly oversight to me. I wouldn't say that's any indication of a patch or anything.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Some more reviews. No MC or OC score yet but the critical reception is pretty positive so far:

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5
If Danganronpa argued that Kodaka is one of the genuine thinkers around video game narrative, Death Come True has solidified it, and while this is a much more modest and experimental work in scope to that visual novel series, it's still inspired stuff and it does have a haunting quality that will remain with me for quite some time to come.

Touch Arcade - 4/5
Overall, Death Come True is one of my favorite FMV experiences for sure. While I was hoping for more polish in the localization with the lack of subtitles for many things, the story was excellent and I enjoyed my time across the game with its multiple endings.

Nintendo Insider - 8/10
There are some flaws and it's too straightforward in parts, but if you're looking for a fun way to spend a night then this is an easy recommendation. Even with those issues and how simple it is, Death Come True is a really cool game and upon reflection, I only find more small touches that make me like it even more.

Noisy Pixel - 8.5/10
Death Come True is an experimental piece of media that tells an incredibly intricate tale, which is only enhanced by the way it chooses to tell its story. The game aims to bridge the gap between visual novels, games, and film so that fans of all three forms of media could enjoy it.

www.youtube.com

Death Come True Review - Noisy Pixel

Read the full review here: https://noisypixel.net/death-come-true-review-switch-ios-android/ A review code was provided by the publisher for review purposes....

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Is the game still missing English subtitles for a lot of stuff? And if so, is there any word on the game being updated?

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Is the game still missing English subtitles for a lot of stuff? And if so, is there any word on the game being updated?

There's subtitles missing for a text message and an e-mail shown in game, also all the bonus content is missing subtitles.
The main game otherwise is completely subbed, so depends on what you mean by "a lot of stuff". I guess the bonus content is a lot of stuff, but the game is perfectly playable without that, if you were worried it wasn't.

No word on adding subtitles for the extra stuff yet, regarding the text message and the e-mail some people tweeted the translations (like Uchikoshi himself lol).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
There's subtitles missing for a text message and an e-mail shown in game, also all the bonus content is missing subtitles.
The main game otherwise is completely subbed, so depends on what you mean by "a lot of stuff". I guess the bonus content is a lot of stuff, but the game is perfectly playable without that, if you were worried it wasn't.

No word on adding subtitles for the extra stuff yet, regarding the text message and the e-mail some people tweeted the translations (like Uchikoshi himself lol).
I mean the bonus content really. One or two quick messages are easy to look up, but having all the extra stuff not translated is a deal breaker for me.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Hopefully subtitles are added to the extras at some point. Or some fans make a document containing translations so they are in one place versus various Tweets.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this. Very short and not many paths to choose from though. Hope they make more of this with a longer story and more choices. Maybe adding a "Notes" menu that you can open at any time with character files, emails messages...so you can actually do some detective work to make better decisions, as well as actual invesigation work walking around some rooms or something.

Regarding the message, I'm glad I can read jp a bit and was able to know what it said, but they should've really added some subtitles for that...

Also, I liked seeing Yūki Kaji in this :D

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I played through it twice and unlocked everything, and I really enjoyed it. It's short for a game but the right length for a movie (and the right length for the scope of the story it was telling). I will say the lack of blood seemed odd, especially given the game's tone and death itself being a key factor in the narrative. (It's even in the title!) I'm not a gore hound so it didn't bother me, but it felt less like an artistic choice and more like them holding back in order to get a friendlier rating.

While I do wish the bonus content was translated I can see how they overlooked it - out of the 25 bonus videos, only 5 (the news segments) require knowing Japanese. The rest are just behind the scenes, fly on the wall footage of costume tests, the cast and crew rehearsing/setting up shots, filming scenes, etc. Those videos have no interviews or commentary of any kind, so there's really nothing worthwhile to translate in them. That said, I do hope the five news segment videos get translated eventually.

All in all I was invested and engaged in the story, I liked the performances, and the soundtrack was great. I had a good time with it!

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I finally managed to play through it too (I know, I know...), only did one of the endings, but I'll check out the other choice too.

I also really enjoyed it for what it was, but just to stress the complaints again:
There's not really a branching narrative, just a bunch of (sometimes pretty whacky) bad ends and an alternative ending.
The story wasn't super mindboggling and more contained, but I liked it for what it was. It's a bit like a reduced cast theater piece (don't know if EN has a word for that, DE calls it a "Kammerspiel"), and it was pretty well done, but maybe not what people expect when they sign up for Kodaka's wild ride.

I was pretty impressed by some of the visual effects, but maybe I just don't go to the movies enough to be up to date with what CGI can achieve nowadays...

At first I thought the twist would be the same as in the movie "Identity" (if you haven't seen it, it's pretty good, check it out without reading up on it if you can). The movie is also set in a mysterious hotel with a killer on the lose.
It was a bit more straight forward in the end, but I'm not mad.

Looking forward to more from Tookyo Games soon, and I hope the experiment paid off for everyone involved!
(Still can't believe they put Yuki Kaji in this. The Akudama Drive anime will also feature TakeP in the cast, so the seiyuu choices at Tookyoo Games are on point if nothing else.)

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Still no news on when this will hit other platforms?

I'd rather play on PC but I'm getting tempted to just play this on my iPad.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
No news on release dates for the other platforms yet unfortunately.

Here's some more Japanese creators sharing how they liked the game on Twitter:
Ryohgo Narita (Durarara!! author)

Hiromichi Takahashi (Producer of Last Labyrinth - VR game that came out last year)

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Just finished this game. Yeah...that was honestly disappointing. Heck even the twist felt flat and underwhelming. Maybe my expectations were too high. I honestly kept thinking to myself that this game could have been way better if it wasn't FMV but that's my personal opinion. I would give it a 5/10.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version of Death Come True will launch via Steam on July 17 at 1:00 a.m. PT / 4:00 a.m. ET, Izanagi Games announced.

www.gematsu.com

Death Come True for PC launches July 17

The PC version of Death Come True will launch via Steam on July 17 at 1:00 a.m. PT / 4:00 a.m. ET, IzanagiGames announced.

The game was just updated on Switch. Did they subtitle the extra content?
Just did a quick check (Ver.1.2, Switch), no subtitles yet.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting that the PS4 version's release date is still TBD while it is released or dated for everything else.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
I am glad I supported that type of games as I want more of the same kind but in the end was underwhelmed. Maybe my expectations were too high? I hope their next project will be bigger in scope now that they got their feet wet!

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

Subtitles added to the iOS version, it seems. Hopefully the other platforms are updated soon.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Updated OT with the PC release date, thanks for alerting me!

Getting subtitles for the bonus stuff soon would be really neat, let's see how quickly they can roll out a Switch patch.

Here's Megumi Ogata (best known for being the voice of Shinji Ikari in Neon Genesis Evangelion) posting about the game on twitter:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I thought this was abysmal, and this is coming from someone that adores Kodaka and Danganronpa :(

It was only around 2 and a half hours so it didn't feel like a huge waste of time, I guess. The reactions here and everywhere else seem positive so I guess it's just me.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought this was abysmal, and this is coming from someone that adores Kodaka and Danganronpa :(

It was only around 2 and a half hours so it didn't feel like a huge waste of time, I guess. The reactions here and everywhere else seem positive so I guess it's just me.

I've pretty much only seen mediocre/negative reception for it (even in this thread I thought?). Enough to have dissuaded me from buying it for the time being at least. :/

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I've pretty much only seen mediocre/negative reception for it (even in this thread I thought?). Enough to have dissuaded me from buying it for the time being at least. :/
Most of what I've seen ranges from "it's good" to "it's meh," whereas I...uh, I really did not enjoy this. I thought it was really, really...not good.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Idk if buying it for $8 (yes, local prices) on Steam is worth it... it's almost like paying for a movie, might think later on the day.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Idk if buying it for $8 (yes, local prices) on Steam is worth it... it's almost like paying for a movie, might think later on the day.

That's a good approach in my view, I really enjoyed it, but it's not much of a game even compared to other FMV games.

Reminder that this is out on PC - TODAY!

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been playing this again and noticed the missing subtitles have been added on Switch now.

OP
OP
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
So they originally announced that there would be news on the PS4 release this week, however the global/digital release still has no date für PS4.

However they announced a physical edition for Japan which will launch on October 15th, so it's possible that they will wait for the physical release with the digital as well?
Apparently the physical edition also comes with a bonus footage Blu-ray disc while supplies last.

I'll keep the OP updated.

News via Gematsu.