• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoes on or off in the house?

• On, I like dirt.

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • Off, I wasn't raised in a barn.

Votes: 863 90.1%
  • 1 shoe on, 1 shoe off

Votes: 23 2.4%
  • i don't wear shoes at all

Votes: 7 0.7%

• Total voters

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just do whatever you like. I can't remember the last time I was forced to take off my shoes in someone else's house. But I have seen houses where they're more shoe-averse. The whole custom still seems weird.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
General rule of thumb for me is off when inside.

If there's a hard floor, on is acceptable as long as you're not tracking in dirt. Carpets are always off.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
When the carpet is new shoes off when it's older I leave them on when I am just in for a short while or on my way out.

,I always take them off and leave them on the landing though, before going to the bedroom.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Off is the way I was raised. However, a good pair of comfortable slippers is a wonderful middle ground.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
where do you people live where you can actually track dirt into your homes? I would have to sweep the pavement for 10 minutes to get enough dust to step in to be able to track it inside.
The area around my current apartment can get very muddy, especially after heavy rain. Heck, if it's windy enough mud can actually slip under the door crack and seep into the front hallway.

I hate it and I can't wait to move out of here in 2.5 months.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
My mom used to yell at us if we were barefoot or wore socks while walking around the house. Slippers was the way to go.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
serious question. what floors do y'all have? carpet or no carpet just wood?

for me, shoes off on carpet/tatami, on if floor is hardwood/tiles.

my house has only hardwood floors ftr.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Off. I'm from Canada and pretty much everyone I know there is shoes off.

Here in the US it's a mixed bag. My Guatemalan mother in law is shoes off, my Peruvian father in law is shoes on.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Off before heading to the carpeted upstairs, for sure. Downstairs is fair game though. It's all tiled floors, so we don't enforce the no shoe rule as hard.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Shoes off make more sense overall but I admit it's pretty goofy at times. Throwing a party with 40 people and all their footwear left at the door. Weird.
Ideally society would just get rid of rugs and carpet in all homes.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Off. I wasn't raised in a barn.

Who wants to bring dirty shoes into their house and get shit from outside, like dirt or whatever, all over their carpets, furniture and floors? That's fucked up.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Shoes off make more sense overall but I admit it's pretty goofy at times. Throwing a party with 40 people and all their footwear left at the door. Weird.

It's pretty normal in a lot of places. I have Korean family friends and they have everyone do this at parties or gatherings.

Off for me.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Off, I live in the UK (wet weather) and its rare to wear shoes indoors.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
The entry way is tiled and there is shoe rack next to the door. Take your shoes off.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I leave my shoes on to walk around the house.

Taking your shoes off doesn't magically make your floors a sanitary dirt-free surface. If you walk around in socks or barefoot all the dirt on the ground is going to get on your socks or feet.

If you have tile or hardwood floors, it's a nice luxury to be able to wear shoes whenever and wherever you feel like it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Shoes and socks off when I'm home, regardless of company. Barefoot is the best feeling. If my feet get cold, I'll relent and wear slippers for a while until my feet warm up, then they're off again.

Even at work, I sometimes take my shoes off and just wear my thin dress socks if no one else is around. Feels good to let the toes stretch and breath.

But in general, I think my grandma is the only person I've ever met in my entire life that wears shoes in their own home. She has a separate pair of indoor shoes that she inexplicably wears instead of slippers.

This is how we did it. Just a big pile of shoes in the porch area. Nobody really cares whose shoes you're wearing if you need to go outside for a smoke or whatever at a house party. Just put on whatever and yell out "I'm borrowing someone's shoes!" Then 2 minutes later the actual shoe owner comes by and says "where are my shoes? Whatever, I'll just use these ones. I'm borrowing someone's shoes!"

But then I never partied with shoe-stealing randos, so it was never an issue.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Shoes off, always, unless you are my motherfucking godforsaken shitfucks of upstairs neighbors, in which case keep your shoes on and clomp through the house like a Clydesdale at all hours between 1 a.m. and 10 p.m.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Just use your brain. Obviously there are times when shoes off is better and there are times when keeping your shoes on is fine.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Just use your brain. Obviously there are times when shoes off is better and there are times when keeping your shoes on is fine.

Exactly, this.

But the only logical situation to put shoes on in the house is when you break a glass, and you take them off after the pickup is complete.

You needed to live in Japan for that?🧐

I'm originally from the states. Taking off your shoes indoors is, as I'm sure you've heard, not a thing unless you have white carpets or nice flooring, which we certainly didn't. You don't think about that kid of stuff when you're younger, so it wasn't until living it in Japan after college that I got to experience why it was better.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even about dirt and stuff. I don't understand how you can even feel comfortable in your own house if you're wearing shoes inside.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm originally from the states. Taking off your shoes indoors is, as I'm sure you've heard, not a thing unless you have white carpets or nice flooring, which we certainly didn't. You don't think about that kid of stuff when you're younger, so it wasn't until living it in Japan after college that I got to experience why it was better.
My family must be different because we never had shoes on in the house growing up. Alabama here.