• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had drills were we would lock the door, turn off the lights and stay out of sight from the windows on the door but we didn't move furniture and stuff

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nope.

Evacuation drills, yes, quite regularily. For stuff like fire or gaz leaks.

But "lockdown" drills ? Never.

Well, i've been through a few "student lockdowns" where students locked down themselves in the university to protest about some random stuff. But that's not the same. (France, you know... protesting shit is something we learn early)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No, I went to school in The Netherlands during innocent times.

The only drills we got were fire drills.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I went to school from 1985-1997, so of course not. Columbine didn't even happen until I had already been in college for a couple years, so school shootings weren't much of a thing back then. We just had fire drills and (when I was in high school) earthquake drills.

Yeah, this exactly. I was in my first or second year of college when Columbine happened; school shootings just weren't a thing before then.

Also I'm fairly convinced that these lockdown drills are mostly bullshit. If the shooter wants to get into the room, he or she is getting in. If it's a school situation, and the shooter has specific targets in mind, that shooter probably knows exactly where those targets should be at that time of day, and will find a way in. It's a modern day "duck and cover."

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I recall having them at some point when I went to high school back in the early 00's, yes.

RiB

Nov 6, 2017
I'm 26 at went to school in the metro Detroit area. We had them since elementary school. Only time we had to actually use it is when some one robbed a bank nearby and everything in a 5 mile radius with kids shut down.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Earthquake drills when I lived in CA.
Did have a couple of "emergency drills" (basically just rapid evacuation) when I lived on a foreign military base after the bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and US military bases elevated their security status en masse.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Canada, yes. We're talking early 2000s here.
Exactly. I mean, I'm American, but lockdown drills are nothing new. Before school shootings became what they are today (not that they didn't exist back then), bomb threats were a common scare, along with other other intruder threats.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, nothing of the sort. My education was mostly in England, then in Canada for the last couple years of high school. My high school did ban trench coats after the columbine massacre, but that's it.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Went to school from 1986-2002 in the UK.

We had fire drills, and in my time in the school's cadet force we did hit the tail end of advice on the IRA (Vary your route to school, check under the car in a morning for car bombs, report suspicious activity, don't change into uniform before arriving etc.)

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. I mean, I'm American, but lockdown drills are nothing new. Before school shootings became what they are today (not that they didn't exist back then), bomb threats were a common scare, along with other other intruder threats.

I might be misremembering, but I think they only put them into place for us after Columbine.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I might be misremembering, but I think they only put them into place for us after Columbine.
Yeah I don't recall them before that. Also, some schools are just much more secure than others. Like my school, even back then, had full time, on duty, uniformed campus police.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
no, when i was in highschool the only school shooting that was prevalent was columbine.

my fucking 3 and 4 year old kids have active shooter drills at their fucking day care and it pisses me off that they have to live through this shit.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I live in Australia we got rid of the guns and now we don't have mass shootings.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
No, even though we had a couple of school shootings when I went to school in Germany. Additional firearm restrictions were put in place and we haven't had a shooting in quite a while. Whether that's the only contributing factor I don't know, though.

Fire drills we had a couple of, even one with actual smoke because our physics teacher wanted to make it more realistic. Me and a couple of other pupils went through the smoke because we knew of it beforehand. It was fun but probably not the intended outcome...

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the US and nope never had them. I was in 8th grade when columbine happened and i don't ever remember having lock down drills in high school. I work with a school district and so far I have had to participate in one lock down drill.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I started High School in 2013 and we had at least 2 per year. One semester we had a bunch because we had like 5 or 6 bomb threats.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We had weather drills for like tornados and such (which looking back on it was dumb cause we lived in WV where there are never tornadoes lol). We also had fire and bomb drills like once every year or two. The bomb part was only because some stupid dude left a note in the school as a joke ("I thought it would be funny to see how the principal reacted" was his line of defense. Moron). Dude got slapped with jail time, IIRC cause he was 18 and a senior in HS.

But lockdown drill for a shooting or something? No. We did have campus alert drills at college tho. We just got a text or phone call saying it was a test and saying what we should do if it happened.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Wasn't a thing when I was in school. Then again back then school shootings were rare and mostly gang related. The only on campus shooting I'm aware of doing my high school time happened when they sent a bunch of gang members from my high school to another high school.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In america, only in high school and it wasn't very often. Also, the teacher only had to lock the door and we didn't have to do anything. Unlike the picture OP posted. This was after 9/11 and I think this was for one year and not really enforced the year afterwards. So yeah it was the drills but not to the extreme like there is today.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't have them when I attended school, but we did practice them when I started working at one. It was locking the doors, turning off the lights, putting a red paper on the window and hiding underneath the desks.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
We had lockdown drills when I was in elementary in the 90s. This was well before Columbine happened. I think I may have had some in high school in the early 00s, but only teachers took them seriously.

I recall some teachers in elementary making us move away from the door and others just letting us sit at our desks in attempted silence. One being real because someones parent didn't check in with the front office.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too young to do bomb drills, and too old to do shooter drills.

We had fire and tornado drills. It boggles my mind that the school my son goes to emails us information about doing lock down drills near the end of the school year, and what they do during them.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Only had fire drills here in the UK and I went to school before/during/after Dunblane.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
There's an American flag in every American classroom. You have to know where to face when you stand up to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning.
This is false. Also, we stopped doing the pledge in like the 4th grade and I grew up in a blood red part of the country.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Panama, and no. Thankfully, guns are regulated here and only few people can legally own at least one firearm.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
No but we had a bunch of bomb threats in the late 90's so there was a lot of hanging around in the parking lot smoking weed waiting hours for us to go back in.

Fire drills was the only drill

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I made a similar thread a while ago.

Never had any lockdown drills in school, although I attended high school after Columbine happened. We had semi-regular bomb threats the last two years I was in school.

As an adult, I've had active shooter drills at several workplaces. Particularly after the Washington Navy Yard shooting.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was in 7th grade when Columbine happened. I think we had them in high school, but I honestly remember tornado drills and fire drills more. I did live in Colorado at the time.