• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is why I don't truck with white moderates. I get the electoralist arguments for it, but I feel deep down there is a lack of respect for struggle.

Its a real shame the Sanders campaign could not turn out the votes it needed but I will never agree that Third Way moderation represents the future.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Is she trying to suppress Biden voters?

Regardless of her connection to Biden or lack of, she invoked his name, so he kinda needs to address it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
giphy.gif

What else is there to say?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's a stretch for Bernie to call her Biden's surrogate. That's all I'm really getting at. She's hot trash. Doesn't mean her hot trash talk speaks for Biden.
Surrogate isn't an official paid position. I think I overstated the relationship. It's basically anyone with perceived influence who goes out and campaigns on behalf of the candidate. Other politicians, celebrities, or just people who go on TV to push the campaign (sometimes as employees of the actual news station).

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Cuomo commented about this exchange tonight with Mehdi Hasan.

Essentially said they shouldn't be arguing about MLK and focus more on unity and beating Trump.

Frustrating.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You can make your point without generalizing millions of people, man.

White people arent a monolith so dont include the ones who do care in your critique of those who don't.
You're doing that white person getting sensitive when a black person makes a general point instead of listening to what the black person is actually saying that black people hate thing.

They weren't pointing directly at you so why get offended on the behalf of all "good" white people?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's such a well known quote from MLK, too. I don't know if that white woman works for some democrat campaign or what, but if she does the wise thing would be to fire her, because I can guarantee even dumber shit will come spilling out of her mouth in the (probably near) future.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
just because you call it a hot take doesn't mean it isn't true.

go ahead, tell me Biden's main selling point
I'm not going to derail the thread so I will leave it at this: you saying Biden "telling uppity blacks what they can't do" is in brand for him is not only based on 0 factual evidence, it's damaging. Especially when he's most likely going to be the nominee. If you have facts or evidence to actually back up your claims, I'd love to see them. Until then..you should probably stop perpetuating your false narrative - especially since Biden is getting majority of the black vote.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want to comment that I hate this video but also admit that I can't bare to actually watch it because I know it will ruin my peaceful lunch time

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not going to derail the thread so I will leave it at this: you saying Biden "telling uppity blacks what they can't do" is in brand for him is not only based on 0 factual evidence, it's damaging. Especially when he's most likely going to be the nominee. If you have facts or evidence to actually back up your claims, I'd love to see them. Until then..you should probably stop perpetuating your false narrative - especially since Biden is getting majority of the black vote.

He opposed "busing ordered by the Department of Education" , in his own words.

He didn't think the federal government should be enforcing desegregation "with busing", in the 1970s

is that a false narrative that I'm perpetuating?

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

Black people are constantly given bad options to vote for and told to pick the least worst. Having Politicians point out how great their segregationist / anti abortion / anti poor/pro police buddies are reeks. That's not a swipe at Biden but our whole system that allows well to do politicians to think the guys on the other side are good people despite those positions.

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, he shouldn't be the focus of the thread. However, it's not like it's completely irrelevant either. They're talking about Biden, Nina Turner is Sanders's head surrogate, and even the CNN title in the vid includes Sanders's name. It's not central, but it's still relevant.

That said, I'll shut up about it now. People have already brought up that even Bernie's not perfect on those issues (though certainly way way way better than Biden, and, apparently, this lady), and I feel uncomfortable going too hard down this lane given that I'm not Black myself.
Honestly we shouldn't even bring up democrats or Biden or Bernie.

This is a white people failing category. We need to do better, and my advice to fellow whites would be simple.

Sit down.

Shut up.

Listen.

Shut up.

It worked wonders for me.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's not just white dem, moderates/centrists, this is just a remixed 'low information voter' controversy from the progressive side. There's a 'We know what's better for you' that's pretty universal in the political spectrum in America and a leftover from Jim Crow and by extension slavery. It's why race issues != class issues. In the deep dark subconcious of America they cope with the unexcusable (and eternal soul damning if we want to talk that Christian/Puritan talk) horror of slavery is a failing not of the white Americans, but of Black Americans so they don't have to feel the guilt.

America's modern racist structures are built to keep capital in the hands of the few as a primary point (even to rip off poor white folks) and as a coping mechanism for their guilt

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're doing that white person getting sensitive when a black person makes a general point instead of listening to what the black person is actually saying that black people hate thing.

They weren't pointing directly at you so why get offended on the behalf of all "good" white people?
Well, as a black person, pardon me if I laugh out loud at that bullshit being thrown anywhere near my direction.

Youre not talking to a white person here so feel free to bypass that, "but why cant you just listen and understand how we feel" stage.

If a person says "white people shouldn't do x, y or z" then that is exactly what the fuck they are saying. If they want to convey something different, they should say something different.

Its IMPOSSIBLE for them to have been pointing at me, but I still think talking about any races in monolithic terms like it's alright to do is bad.

I wouldn't like it if anyone said that about black people, and I'm sure as fuck if I came in here ignorantly parading around, talking about how "black people should just xyz", I'd have a load of people including mods ready to shut me down.

The worst thing?

You're out here literally doing the thing accidentally racist people making ignorant statements do with your, "oh no, i didnt mean you", "well I wasnt talking about the good ones" line.

Basically every minority knows how that bullshit feels so WHY the hell would we be doing that shit and then even make excuses for it?

And the original point was rubbish aswell. Saying white people shouldn't use MLK is dumb.

I understand being annoyed at the BS that happens all the time and making blasé throwaway statements that reflect the frustration, but that doesn't mean theres no reason to do things differently or behave in a way that we would like others to behave towards us.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
She gets paid by a political consulting firm that is run by Biden's campaign strategist. Tweet is from an Intercept employee.

Joe Biden's campaign is run by Anita Dunn, whose consulting firm SKDKnickerbocker (the D is for Dunn) lobbies right now on behalf of Amazon. Here's the lobby disclosure filing. Hilary Rosen, Biden surrogate recently in the news, also works for SKDKnickerbocker.

So not directly working for Biden, but definitely a connection (and vested interest in supporting him) nonetheless.

That's a pretty big connection, and I don't see what's wrong on Bernie asking for an apology based on that.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm actually astounded that someone managed to miss the point of that Dr. King quote by that much. Even if you ignored the entire thing except the last line that mentions a "quiet peace," then you should still have all the context you need to know that no, he didn't mean "white moderates should be loud and talk over black people."

This sounds like something she got from one of those meme images that get spammed by an army of Russian Twitter bots.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
just because you call it a hot take doesn't mean it isn't true.

go ahead, tell me Biden's main selling point
As far as I can tell, Biden's main selling point is that he's not Trump and that you don't have to worry about white people voting for Trump over him in the election
Probably
Maybe
We'll see...

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Well, as a black person, pardon me if I laugh out loud at that bullshit being thrown anywhere near my direction.

Youre not talking to a white person here so feel free to bypass that, "but why cant you just listen and understand how we feel" stage.

If a person says "white people shouldn't do x, y or z" then that is exactly what the fuck they are saying. If they want to convey something different, they should say something different.

Its IMPOSSIBLE for them to have been pointing at me, but I still think talking about any races in monolithic terms like it's alright to do is bad.

I wouldn't like it if anyone said that about black people, and I'm sure as fuck if I came in here ignorantly parading around, talking about how "black people should just xyz", I'd have a load of people including mods ready to shut me down.

The worst thing?

You're out here literally doing the thing accidentally racist people making ignorant statements do with your, "oh no, i didnt mean you", "well I wasnt talking about the good ones" line.

Basically every minority knows how that bullshit feels so WHY the hell would we be doing that shit and then even make excuses for it?

And the original point was rubbish aswell. Saying white people shouldn't use MLK is dumb.

I understand being annoyed at the BS that happens all the time and making blasé throwaway statements that reflect the frustration, but that doesn't mean theres no reason to do things differently or behave in a way that we would like others to behave towards us.
I think the larger point is that a white person isn't really inconvenienced in any way by a statement like that. Anyone who understands it will know that they can in fact say the word "MLK" and anyone who doesn't isn't going to have to worry about some large culture of rich influential black people potentially agreeing with said statement and barring them the right to speak about MLK. Like you said, it's a throwaway statement in the truest form, it doesn't negatively effect any white person in the same way it would if it was said the other way around because as evidently shown in this thread we DO have to worry about large groups of rich influential white people attempting to manipulate our ability to talk about MLK.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
We're so fucked now.. the Dems have no solidarity anymore. We just want to eat ourselves before the general.

Who ever booked these guests shouldn't have... invoking Dr King and telling a black woman she's wrong is a horrible fucking look. She should be ashamed. Cable news was a mistake.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That woman is straight up racist. That was too infuriating to watch, and the 'apologies' did nothing to help.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The worst thing?

It doesn't matter what race you are though. My statement still applies.

If the person made the statement because they've experience the misuse of MLK's legacy so much, that they feel that white people should just completely avoid invoking his name in discussions to minimize the chance of it happening, there is no need to show any concern for how the white audience is going to take the declaration.

We can the statements without literally meaning that every white person misuses MLK, that isn't the point in a literary sense.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The fact that Biden's campaign ignored this completely and how every forgot that this even happened shows how deeply rooted racism is in politics and how a high position of power will grant you certain privileges such as getting off scot free for something so incredibly blatantly racist such as this. I could tell Nina wanted to talk sense into her but couldn't because CNN wouldn't let her. What a shitshow.