• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Oddly enough, the only websites I've seen that are aggressive about it are gaming websites. Other websites just allow you to close the popup and be on your way.
Except sites like Forbes which don't let you browse the site until you stop blocking their ads. They throw up a full-window mask that obscures the content and disables scrolling.

If you know CSS, you can use your browser's web inspector to disable the blocking mask, but it's something you'd have to re-do on every new page, making it more of a hassle than it's worth.

I basically run Ad-Block on every website but Era. If a site hassles me about it, I stop going to the site. Pretty simple!

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
DZrNNq5.png

Is that PC Gamer? This exact thing is why I stopped going there. I whitelisted them only to be bombarded by ridiculous amounts of ads, some of which being auto-playing videos.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is that PC Gamer? This exact thing is why I stopped going there. I whitelisted them only to be bombarded by ridiculous amounts of ads, some of which being auto-playing videos.

Yup, I occasionally get an interesting looking article from them in my twitter/facebook feed and then always regret clicking it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ads are annoying and I hate being assaulted with them but the reason I started using ad block is websites who showed zero care about the ads they displayed and getting lead to sketch sites with malware and other shit. I had enough and just used ad block. I dont care about a banner or some shit. That's totally fine.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This is always a touchy subject I find. Especially since I'm usually on the receiving end of trying to figure out an optimal solution.

My site is run on a dedicated server. This roughly costs me around €250 per month. We provide a huge amount of services (full card database, card tooltips for developers, full API, article writers who need to be paid and more) which made this a necessity. On top of that Cloudflare, Google Cloud Storage and a few other things add about €120ish to that per month for a total of around €370 which is rather expensive.

We absolutely need ads on the site to keep the site afloat. I have heavily looked into alternative forms of revenue (dontations, patreon, etc) but none of them are quite good enough to keep the site up. I have tried my absolute hardest to not make the ads on the site annoying or intrusive (more on that with my next point). I have a very small message on the homepage if ad-blocker is detected.

2whuEJu.png

At the start of 2019, I entered an advertising partnership with Fanbyte. They have taken over the ads on the site and they are in charge of the ads (but I still have the final say at the end of the day if I choose to).

We agreed on some ads and I disagreed and denied others (video that scrolls with you in the sidebar I said "no" to).

Now the hard part. I remember sharing an article from the site once and all USA based users were being ad-redirected to these malware giveaway sites. Needless to say, I was super pissed and not happy. Obviously this is not what I intended or wanted. I shot an email to the ad team and they had the redirects blacklisted and the advertiser blacklisted and fully apologized to me. I'm still a little annoyed at the situation but these things do happen and often happen unintentionally. They even happened when I was alone with Google ads and I had to report them to Google.

I'm not entirely sure what my point is (a lot of rambling) except that these things are a constant headache and sometimes very hard to directly control.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
The ad saturation of America is forced on everyone via the internet
Watching US tv is torture

I dont have tv service because it's insanely expensive, but i was sitting in the doctor's office last week and they had Dr Phil on the tv, and it literally felt like it was 3 mins of show followed by 5 mins of ads over and over. I dont understand how people can watch that kind of crap, especially when parts of the show itself are another ad as they give a product away to a guest and the audience with someone there to talk about it that ends up sounding like an extended live commercial.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This is always a touchy subject I find. Especially since I'm usually on the receiving end of trying to figure out an optimal solution.

My site is run on a dedicated server. This roughly costs me around €250 per month. We provide a huge amount of services (full card database, card tooltips for developers, full API, article writers who need to be paid and more) which made this a necessity. On top of that Cloudflare, Google Cloud Storage and a few other things add about €120ish to that per month for a total of around €370 which is rather expensive.

We absolutely need ads on the site to keep the site afloat. I have heavily looked into alternative forms of revenue (dontations, patreon, etc) but none of them are quite good enough to keep the site up. I have tried my absolute hardest to not make the ads on the site annoying or intrusive (more on that with my next point). I have a very small message on the homepage if ad-blocker is detected.

2whuEJu.png

At the start of 2019, I entered an advertising partnership with Fanbyte. They have taken over the ads on the site and they are in charge of the ads (but I still have the final say at the end of the day if I choose to).

We agreed on some ads and I disagreed and denied others (video that scrolls with you in the sidebar I said "no" to).

Now the hard part. I remember sharing an article from the site once and all USA based users were being ad-redirected to these malware giveaway sites. Needless to say, I was super pissed and not happy. Obviously this is not what I intended or wanted. I shot an email to the ad team and they had the redirects blacklisted and the advertiser blacklisted and fully apologized to me. I'm still a little annoyed at the situation but these things do happen and often happen unintentionally. They even happened when I was alone with Google ads and I had to report them to Google.

I'm not entirely sure what my point is (a lot of rambling) except that these things are a constant headache and sometimes very hard to directly control.

A banner ad in a few places or even 2 or 3 ads across a page is nowhere near the kind of stuff I was ranting about.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
A banner ad in a few places or even 2 or 3 ads across a page is nowhere near the kind of stuff I was ranting about.

True but to be fair, places like PC Gamer probably have like 20x expenditure costs that I have. I wouldn't be surprised if they needed adblocker pop-ups everywhere to keep things going.

I do 100% agree that their ads are quite ridiculous but these things are hard unfortunately. There is such a stupidly fine line between "shitty ad that gives more revenue" to "good small neat ad that gives shitty revenue".

I really wish there was a complete alternative approach to these things. God knows I can't think of one though. At least one that would be sustainable in the long run!

Always an interesting conversation though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's getting ridiculous. The moment I get the pop-up to disable my adblocker, I simply leave the site and don't return. It's the internet, the info I want is gonna be somewhere else too.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
True but to be fair, places like PC Gamer probably have like 20x expenditure costs that I have. I wouldn't be surprised if they needed adblocker pop-ups everywhere to keep things going.

I do 100% agree that their ads are quite ridiculous but these things are hard unfortunately. There is such a stupidly fine line between "shitty ad that gives more revenue" to "good small neat ad that gives shitty revenue".

I really wish there was a complete alternative approach to these things. God knows I can't think of one though. At least one that would be sustainable in the long run!

Always an interesting conversation though.

Just a casual scroll on a PC gamer page with adblock off I counted at least 55 separate ads from top to bottom and I think I may have missed some because the page shifted down and some auto-play content appeared at a few points. It's an interesting conversation to have but this particular example seems far over the fine line and well into excessive at least to me.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
People mentioning PC Gamer are right but IGN is also horrendous too.

The Independent as well. And YouTube, of course. Soon as you turn off Adblocker you are having a miserable experience.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just, DON'T go on website stealing contents.

Just avoid reading them.

ADs means life for websites, that's it.

It is not THAT difficult to understand.

What is the difference for the website in this scenario? If everyone quits going at all then they are even worse off. If they don't crash my browser with 55 different ads and autoplay videos I'll still be visiting them and not have any qualms with disabling my adblock as I do for most sites I frequent.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
What is the difference for the website in this scenario? If everyone quits going at all then they are even worse off. If they don't crash my browser with 55 different ads and autoplay videos I may actually visit them and not have any qualms with disabling my adblock as I do for most sites I frequent.

At least you are not willingly STEALING an article.

That's the difference.

statha

Feb 15, 2018
Look, I get it you need ad revenue to support your website. I can wholeheartedly empathize with that. You put up a little plea "please we need to be able to run ads" and I think "alright, I visit this game site quite often the least I can do is let you run ads".

Then you attack me for giving you the benefit of the doubt, well over 1/2 the page content (top to bottom) becomes ads (in the image I posted that is not an exaggeration), you make an autoplay video follow me down the screen, you pull up a bar on the right side of the screen whose entire purpose is to host ads that show up no matter what part of the page I'm on, you animate these ads, you make me scroll through 37 (yes I counted) ads to see the comments, this kills my browser performance when I'm checking out your site on a lower end machine. This makes me completely deaf to your plight.
DZrNNq5.png

Rant over

This is gross, and the worst thing is that its getting to be a norm. Like trying to get as much ads on people that dont block them to compensate people that do.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped visiting PC Gamer because it's literally impossible to browse the website with all those ads

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Just avoid reading them.

Viewing a website with javascript disabled is not stealing, nor is it copyright infringement. Lets not do the crappy analogies.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I've honestly never been bothered by ads. It's so easy to ignore them. I've never used or believed in ad blockers, and I've never seen a website that bothered me with ads.

I don't understand why people on this site get worked up by them. They wont hurt or kill you to see them. It's so easy to just keep moving along.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As someone who runs a gaming website, this frustrates me too because it affects all of us. I fully understand why people turn to AdBlock when they're forced to deal with bad experiences on other sites. But of course, if you leave it on then we're penalised as well. :(

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I needed to setup a DNS level blocker for my mom because she keeps falling for those tech support scams.

I much rather have a paywall because I only visit a handful of sites regularly.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I miss the early days of Gmail when the ads were text-based and contextual. Ads now are just disgusting, both in how aggressively they appear and in how they put users at risk for malware. I also don't see how anyone who has any pride when it comes to designing a Web site can trash their design by stuffing ads in every bit of blank space. For me, though, it's most irritating when sites block Incognito or Private windows, as I use those at work to ensure that I don't accidentally leave myself signed into my accounts.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I hate ads also, but the alternate option is paywalling more content online.
Or websites and ad networks could regulate their shit better so that people don't feel the need to block them.

If everyone followed some rules, I'd be more inclined to turn mine off.
- No autoplay with sound
- Nothing that follows the page as I scroll
- Limits on data size and CPU usage
- No javascript or other kind of embedded code that could potentially host malware

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
To repeat myself from another asblock thread:

jx6mMMK.jpg

Every damn time. I see you news site with 2 pop-unders and an auto-play commercial that consumes all my memory.

At least you are not willingly STEALING an article.

That's the difference.

Now all I can picture is an Ocean's 11 heist movie about lifting the entire back catalogue of articles for the WSJ.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I get it you need ad revenue to support your website. I can wholeheartedly empathize with that. You put up a little plea "please we need to be able to run ads" and I think "alright, I visit this game site quite often the least I can do is let you run ads".

Then you attack me for giving you the benefit of the doubt, well over 1/2 the page content (top to bottom) becomes ads (in the image I posted that is not an exaggeration), you make an autoplay video follow me down the screen, you pull up a bar on the right side of the screen whose entire purpose is to host ads that show up no matter what part of the page I'm on, you animate these ads, you make me scroll through 37 (yes I counted) ads to see the comments, this kills my browser performance when I'm checking out your site on a lower end machine. This makes me completely deaf to your plight.
DZrNNq5.png

Rant over

Yahoo has been doing this bullshit for awhile now. It's even worse. Sometime when I scroll down their news on my phone, the ads extends to full page!, leaving almost no empty space to scroll without touching their ads. Oh, and their fcking auto-play video at the corner is the worst. If you try to close it, 9/10 chance you will Pop up the ads page.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
When I go to a site that forces me to turn off adblock, I like to manually stop loading the page quickly so that the anti adblock shit doesn't get to activate. Doesn't always work though, or only works temporarily.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Youtube and twitch are brutal these days too.

Twitch especially. Every time you click a stream you get an unskippable 30 second ad, even if you just spent a minute in one stream and them clicked over to another. I used to like browsing around on twitch a lot but for the past few months I've basically stopped using twitch at all because of of the unskippable ad every time I click a new stream.
Yup. Twitch is browsable now and it keeps me from even going to the app.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Scrolling past such ad is like a milisecond. I don't mind. I just hate loud video-ads. Anything without video or sound? I don't care. I don't and won't use adblock, ever. Yes, call me naive and stupid, I think people who get salary from ads should get a "view" from me if I'm on their site.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Do you really need to spend ~€400/mo? I don't mean to criticize offhandedly -- as someone who works in infotech I'm very familiar with the concerns sites like yours have -- but I bring it up because increasingly I feel this is a question that needs to be addressed (by the industry in general) for content creators/providers such as yourself: How to efficiently distribute information without having to succumb to advertising.

For example Google claims its mission is to "organize the information of the world". I think that's a very important and useful mission, BUT, in trying to achieve it they are also simultaneously polluting the information sphere with their advertising schemes. Even they can't figure out how to operate without advertising, and it's very sad because the promise of information organization (and access to it) is affected.

Increasingly I feel advertising has no place in a world where information is sought on demand and without corruption. People shouldn't have their senses and cogitation assaulted when they are trying to access and process data for whatever reason. It is a vestige of a past era when information was broadcast as a "push" (e.g. via television), rather than the world we live in today where information is increasingly "pulled" or requested on demand.

Ads in this age are just friction, nothing else.

EDIT:

Ahem, anyway, getting back on point -- have you looked at your initial assumptions? E.g. needing a "dedicated server"? Can you not get by with some VMs on AWS and scale horizontally as needed, etc.? I don't bring it up to "show off" my tech prowess or anything, but just to highlight that considerations around these very elements may be what needs to be addressed by the larger web community to ensure people can distribute information without relying on an advertising infrastructure.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Just avoid reading them.

I'll make sure to click on every ad to support the sites I love and patiently watch every auto-play video because this is the price for watching/reading content on the internet. I will also make sure not to opt out of submitting personal browsing info to ad networks so they can know as much as possible about me to surface targeted ads. It's nice of them to know me better than I do and show me stuff I didn't know I needed yet. Really, they're like little friends telling me how to best spend my money.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube and twitch are brutal these days too.

Twitch especially. Every time you click a stream you get an unskippable 30 second ad, even if you just spent a minute in one stream and them clicked over to another. I used to like browsing around on twitch a lot but for the past few months I've basically stopped using twitch at all because of of the unskippable ad every time I click a new stream.
I'm using Mozilla with Adblock+, Ublock Origin, Adguard Adblocker. I don't have any ad using Twitch, it's just a little slower. I was in the situation you described, it was really insufferable. If we could skip it after 3 or 5 seconds like many other sites, I would have endured. But too much is too much, fuck Twitch.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this recently in a thread on a similar topic but I got a message begging to turn off adblocking on a gaming site (I think it was Fire Emblem-related) and same thing happened; I thought "ok this site has been a good resource so I'll help support them", whitelisted them and BAM instant fake Adobe Flash (yes, in 2019) download page pop up. It's a security issue at this point.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Do you really need to spend ~€400/mo? I don't mean to criticize offhandedly -- as someone who works in infotech I'm very familiar with the concerns sites like yours have -- but I bring it up because increasingly I feel this is a question that needs to be addressed (by the industry in general) for content creators/providers such as yourself: How to efficiently distribute information without having to succumb to advertising.

For example Google claims its mission is to "organize the information of the world". I think that's a very important and useful mission, BUT, in trying to achieve it they are also simultaneously polluting the information sphere with their advertising schemes. Even they can't figure out how to operate without advertising, and it's very sad because the promise of information organization (and access to it) is affected.

Increasingly I feel advertising has no place in a world where information is sought on demand and without corruption. People shouldn't have their senses and cogitation assaulted when they are trying to access and process data for whatever reason. It is a vestige of a past era when information was broadcast as a "push" (e.g. via television), rather than the world we live in today where information is increasingly "pulled" or requested on demand.

Ads in this age are just friction, nothing else.

Do you have a good alternative for them though as sites do need money to keep running? The problem with sites that rely on Patreon support etc is that people won't pay for all content. A lot of us are already paying monthly for internet, streaming video and music services, maybe throwing some money at our favorite game streamers. Those add up until you are no longer willing to pay more for a website you visit occasionally.

Where a lot of websites fail is that they succumb to dark patterns for handling advertisements. Instead of trying to make their ads more relevant to their audience or have whatever partners they have make better ads, they have decided to pester you with autoplay videos, ads disguised as content, barrage of modal dialogs requesting you sign up to newsletters etc. When that starts driving people away or using adblockers they instead double down and put more ads on the site until finding content between the ads becomes nearly impossible. There is a sweet spot where people won't mind seeing adverts and so many sites have crossed it to the point that I am surprised they are still up and running.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I typically dont like to use adblock because I understand the struggle as a youtube creator.

But if youre blowing my shit up with intrusive ads, get ready to guilt trip me.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've found that Ublock Origin with "Adblock Warning Removal List" enabled is pretty good at avoiding this guilt-inducing bullshit. On Firefox btw, migrated to it the very same day Google announced their plans to limit adblockers functionality on Chrome.

Oooh, where do you see this option? I'm not seeing it. I would love to have that feature.