• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
queue the image macro of a guy choosing a button and its fem byleth vs adding another fire emblem character

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Shantae please!
latest

I'm happy to have her in my party for the upcoming Indivisible, and I'll be estactic if this lovable dork comes to Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My point is he hasn't appeared on a Microsoft system

My comment was in reference to his appearances outside on Nintendo since he's obviously on the Switch
Ah, alright then.

queue the image macro of a guy choosing a button and its fem byleth vs adding another fire emblem character
I'd personally press the button that gets us Edelgard. My misgivings towards Female Byleth's design aside, I'd have the same concern of Male Byleth being the default.

I'm happy to have her in my party for the upcoming Indivisible, and I'll be estactic if this lovable dork comes to Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter.
She's in Indivisible?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't see Tracer happening. If Sakurai decides to start letting in fully-Western characters (so not characters designed by Western studios owned and overseen by Nintendo) in the next pass, Tracer is still way far down the list. She'll be in line behind Doomguy, Crash, Ray-Man, Lara Croft, and Masterchief.

She ain't getting in.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Terry Bogard needs to have his female version available as a skin from SNK Heroines.
We got alternate skins for Joker and even more on Hero, so it can definitely happen!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I totally agree. I mean, even if there isn't much to choose from, they're currently choosing some pretty off the wall or deep cut characters anyway. Whether he likes it or not, Sakurai is in an important position for representation.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cmon FE fans, FE is one of the series with the most female reps in smash, it has Lucina, Female Corrin, Female Robin and Tiki and Lyn as AT
It has 0 non white characters, Claude be the first and last non white lord of the series, it might be the last chance to have a FE rep that isnt a white character with weird hair color.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always unironically want Shantae.
Shantae was, is, and will continue to be my number one pick for an indie rep for smash. The games go all the way back to the GBC. While she may not be as much of an indie icon as Shovel Knight or Sans (ffs I still can't believe that's a thing) I genuinely believe she'd make a fantastic fit to the series.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Diversification = Fulfillment of 'Quota'. Minorities apparently have no reason to exist in games other than to fulfill quotas.
That's exactly how people who are complaining about the fighter pass are acting though. Instead of wishing for their favorite character or such, they are complaining that we can't have an all male fighter pass

V-Mac

Banned
Jul 4, 2018
User banned (permanent): troll account
You people have ruined so many franchises (like Battlefield) with absolutely infuriating, insane demands like this. Stop. Just stop. Let the developers make the game they want without having to worry about following some irrelevant social justice agenda.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That's exactly how people who are complaining about the fighter pass are acting though. Instead of wishing for their favorite character or such, they are complaining that we can't have an all male fighter pass

Wait, are you suggesting that there are no worthwhile and/or illustrious women from other franchises who can be part of the Smash ultimate's roster?

You people have ruined so many franchises (like Battlefield) with absolutely infuriating, insane demands like this. Stop. Just stop. Let the developers make the game they want without having to worry about following some irrelevant social justice agenda.

"Irrelevant social justice agenda".... fuck right off mate. Once you think you have fucked off enough, fuck off some more.

Edit: Also, such a fitting avatar.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
In the other thread I made a list of my most wanted first party characters and 4.5 of the 5 were women. And no, I didn't "reach to fill some quota", I literally just listed 5 awesome Nintendo characters that should be in Smash.

Edelgard, Rex and Pyra, Elma, Impa, and Isaac.

Hell, Twintelle and Dixie, who I have no attachment to, sound like great choices too, and are popular fan demands.

In fact, not adding these female characters at this point would be an active choice and more forced than "inclusion for inclusion's sake". They're all extremely important or main characters in successful series that would represent unique fighting styles in Smash Bros. I hope to see most of them in.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In the other thread I made a list of my most wanted first party characters and 4.5 of the 5 were women. And no, I didn't "reach to fill some quota", I literally just listed 5 awesome Nintendo characters that should be in Smash.

Hell, Twintelle and Dixie, who I have no attachment to, sound like great choices too, and are popular fan demands.

In fact, not adding these female characters at this point would be an active choice and more forced than "inclusion for inclusion's sake". They're all extremely important or main characters in successful series that would represent unique fighting styles in Smash Bros. I hope to see most of them in.
It's 3.5 out of 5 for your list, seeing as Isaac is there. With that said, yeah, it'd be very concerning if the next wave of characters are all guys.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Cmon FE fans, FE is one of the series with the most female reps in smash, it has Lucina, Female Corrin, Female Robin and Tiki and Lyn as AT
It has 0 non white characters, Claude be the first and last non white lord of the series, it might be the last chance to have a FE rep that isnt a white character with weird hair color.
Though neither Robin nor Corrin have their female forms as the default. With that said, I wouldn't say no to Claude.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Shantae is a great character. To say people only want her because fan service is messed up. True Pirates Quest is probably her only great game but I think all the others are at least good as well. Not only that but she's a fairly high requested/talked about female, with dark skin, with fantastic moveset potential, would bring some great music, and her developers would gladly allow her to join.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae should definitely get in. I know the chances are slim because now I'm inclined to believe spirits deconfirm new characters if their series is already there. She'd be fantastic and a friend of mine would probably die from happiness.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Male Robin is the most popular one so it makes sense
And I also think being default or not matters very little
In Male Robin's case, I understand. Not so much Corrin's, as mentioned in the OP.

The reason I argue so heavily in favor of defaults is because those are the ones that are prioritized in marketing as well as Amiibos. Female Corrin was lucky that she was surrounded by AC Cloud & Bayo 1 Bayonetta, but the others weren't so fortunate.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing about Byleth is I would much prefer the male design be the default because it's much better than the female one. But I'm stanning for Edelgard if we got a new Fire Emblem rep anyway.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The sad thing about Byleth is I would much prefer the male design be the default because it's much better than the female one. But I'm stanning for Edelgard if we got a new Fire Emblem rep anyway.
That's basically where I stand regarding Byleth, right down to me pivoting towards Edelgard.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna mainly hope for Sora again!
Dante/Layton/Ace Attorney/Rayman/Travis Touchdown have been my other main wants.

Other mentions in my head right now..., of which I'm not sure would all fit or make sense in the game exactly, Rex from XB2, Elma from XBX, Twins from Astral Chain, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Doomguy, Master Chief, Shovel Knight, Wolflink + Midna, Waluigi, Cuphead

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm gonna mainly hope for Sora again!
Dante/Layton/Ace Attorney/Rayman/Travis Touchdown have been my other main wants.

Other mentions in my head right now..., of which I'm not sure would all fit or make sense in the game exactly, Rex from XB2, Elma from XBX, Twins from Astral Chain, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Doomguy, Master Chief, Shovel Knight, Wolflink + Midna, Waluigi, Cuphead
I think you're in the wrong thread. This might be the one you're looking for.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

But the thing is, sakurai wants to go crazy for the rest of dlc now. None of those characters add to the insane legacy of the roster like some historic 3rd parties do.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
For the people suggesting Lara Croft, which Lara? Are we talking original, or reboot? I guess you could just simply do alt costumes so you can pick either, but I wonder if the idea of the reboot and redesign is something that would actually hurt her chances at being "invited"...
It definitely would be classic Lara (anything from Tomb Raider 96 to Underworld 2008) ideally it'd be her Anniversary design.

Reboot Lara is stupidly gore and... "realistic" to work properly in Smash.
Although I could see one of the alt costumes using her outfit from that game.