• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god I would DIE

Tbh I'm kind of disappointed none of the DLC characters are women (so far). I understand that there necessarily isn't a lot to choose from in terms of Nintendo-exclusive IPs, but they've shown that they're not afraid to get characters from Sony and Microsoft, etc., so I don't see what's holding them back.
Just due to how vocal Sakurai has been before about being a fan of FE you know he is making time for it. Shes so prominent in the game shes the logical choice and the game is fantastic you know hes super tempted to champion for a character from it. I can already see the monastery stage with the vocal theme playing in the background.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Edelgard and Claude are ready to go -- I've got my fingers crossed against boring ol' Byleth. Elma and Twintelle are waiting, too, though the former seems like a longshot as the Xenoblade X series inches closer to being forgotten.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
But who could they add?

latest

*cough*

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
She defies every complaint people have about the Fire Emblem characters except being another Fire Emblem character.

FE characters being from FE were never the problem its that they keep picking the same kind of FE character. Its like adding Axe, Lance, Bow, or Magic users are beyond their ability to do. And even then they could have varied it up as all sword users arent the same.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Just due to how vocal Sakurai has been before about being a fan of FE you know he is making time for it. Shes so prominent in the game shes the logical choice and the game is fantastic you know hes super tempted to champion for a character from it. I can already see the monastery stage with the vocal theme playing in the background.

The logical three houses character is Byleth

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
shantae is literally 16yo and yet she looks Like That

why do yall enable this (it's pretty easy to tell why from mousing over avatars)
That tweet is almost 5 years old I doubt it hold any relevance.

Even besides that her games are obviously popular that there still getting made so people like the series. Plus she already got a spirit in Smash, so may as well call out Nintendo for "enabling" as well.

BUt no just make a crack about avatars and be done I guess.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Dixie Kong, Elma, Petra, Shanoa, Lenneth Valkyrie, Shantae, Terra. I want all of them in Smash.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
That tweet is almost 5 years old I doubt it hold any relevance.

Even besides that her games are obviously popular that there still getting made so people like the series. Plus she already got a spirit in Smash, so may as well call out Nintendo for "enabling" as well.

BUt no just make a crack about avatars and be done I guess.
sorry i don't have a boner for sexy teenage girl

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm glad we're gonna have to go another 2 years where people unironically want Shantae in Smash. I thought the end was in sight after Terry.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's an industry problem.

It'd feel weird and out of place to start including secondary characters over icons just for the sake of diversity.

The SNK rep was never going to be anyone but Terry Bogard.

Fingers crossed for Lara Croft and Jill Valentine? They're about the only viable candidates.

SNK isn't well known and got in smash. Maybe it's time to stop saying smash is limited to icons. You know that's never been true.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it's not exactly much representation but i would verymuch like marina liteyears, not that anyone under like 28 would give a shit

WaterBen

Apr 4, 2019
The main reason characters should be added is how much of an icon they are to their respective franchises.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i see extremely little merit in the shantae games as games (and, yes, i've played 1-3 in full; they were super mediocre)
therefore, i am of the belief that people largely like the character because she's sexualized
Well you're wrong and I say that as someone who's played all of them but the original.

Risky's Revenge was kinda meh but Pirate's Curse and 1/2 Genie Hero(with DLC) are both great games IMO and Seven Sirens looks to be making even more improvements.

So maybe stop being so judgmental and acusitory to people because they like a game you don't.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you, OP. I just lost faith in video games ever trying to represent me or someone who looks likes me. The people who make most of these games don't look like me so I just don't expect it.

Still love the commitment though, the day Smash has just an ounce of some change in character selection I'll have y'all to thank

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Considering we are getting more characters, I'd say Shantae has become a front runner for being the "First female DLC character." We can say "Spirits debunk characters" as much as we want to, but it does seem like a possiblity that Sakurai can easily throw that right out the window at anytime. Hell, with the new Shantae gaming coming up, that could be the best time if any to have her brought in at that same time.

Otherwise, any female character would be nice and I doubt anyone would raise any hell over whoever the first one would be. Not to mention that for some, they still think Overwatch isn't exactly off the table yet.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Lara Croft and Chun-Li should be in, also either Athena or Mai should've made it instead of Ken 2

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The thought of sakura and nakoruku being in the game instead of ryu and terry bogard is ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Your issue is a gaming issue, not a smash/sakurai issue
It's a bit of both, & it's why I equated Smash's situation to Dragon Ball FighterZ. While true, there aren't as many options for women & even fewer for people of color, options do exist that would be great inclusions to Smash.

Lara Croft and Chun-Li should be in, also either Athena or Mai should've made it instead of Ken 2
Mai's design would have to be......modified, but we do have another option in Nakoruru (who was honestly done dirty in the trailer).

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
It's a bit of both, & it's why I equated Smash's situation to Dragon Ball FighterZ. While true, there aren't as many options for women & even fewer for people of color, options do exist that would be great inclusions to Smash.

Mai's design would have to be......modified, but we do have another option in Nakoruru (who was honestly done dirty in the trailer).
Just make her breasts not ridiculously big, give her an actual leotard and she should be fine

Wealthydave3

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Lara Croft makes no sense in smash. I'd rather have elma or shantae as they have good history with nintendo.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Claude please, I want a non white character that isn't the incarnation of all evil

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ayumi Tachibana! She has a chance!

Twintelle, person of color and woman!

Tracer, gay and woman!

I'd love any of the above.
I'm kinda sad that Sakurai didn't go through on adding Ayumi back in Melee. Now that it's post-Lucas, I'm not sure if she'd have much of a chance. With that said, Twintelle would kill 2 birds with one stone (a woman & a person of color) on top of bringing a unique moveset with her & all the benefits of a new franchise (music, stage, spirits, etc.).

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm kinda sad that Sakurai didn't go through on adding Ayumi back in Melee. Now that it's post-Lucas, I'm not sure if she'd have much of a chance. With that said, Twintelle would kill 2 birds with one stone (a woman & a person of color) on top of bringing a unique moveset with her & all the benefits of a new franchise (music, stage, spirits, etc.).
She is getting a remake for the Switch so I think she's got a chance. Not high, but still a possibility now.

Open to adding #RepresentationForSmash to your avatars
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
She is getting a remake for the Switch so I think she's got a chance. Not high, but still a possibility now.
Hopefully it gets localized.

Also, I'm more than happy to alter your avatars in the same way as mine (possibly in creative ways if requested) if any of you so choose.