• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My laptop has a 144hz display but could only run Titanfall 2 on 100fps. I generally do not like FPS but damn I got addicted to that responsiveness.

Reaching 144fps even in 1080p is still a huge task by today's standards.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's hard to go back to 60hz. Right now I'm getting back into Witcher 3 B&W and I can't decide between 1080p/120hz or 1440p/60hz. I mean most of the time I would argue that you don't need a high refresh rate in a game like that.....it's just hard to go back.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
When TVs can reliably to 60fps+, that's when I'll migrate to higher refresh rates. I don't want a new monitor because it'd impact my living room, console sized PC dream.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
144hz + Gsync is the biggest upgrade possible. Its game changing (hehe). But seriously, if you have the horsepower to back it up, 144 gsync is just another level of gaming goodness that you won't be able to live without once you see it.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's surpsing that even the smallest increases are very noticeable, like 75hz over 60.

Before I got my main monitor I also played on 75 for many years and when reverting back to 60, so it felt wierd.

Btw if you ever want to cap some's game's framerate since you can't hold 75 fps make sure you set it at 38 since that's the proper half.

30 on 75 looks and feels like garbage.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
144hz + 1440p is the sweet spot right now. So smooth, especially multiplayer games.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand those comments... I have a 144Hz screen on my laptop and while it's great, I can easily go back to my 60Hz monitor.

But 30 FPS is horrible now.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I got 144hz and g sync with 1440p and the shit blew my mind. Playing stuff like Monster Hunter World or Devil May Cry V and seeing all of the particles and effects just flowing around so smoothly was ridiculous. Gears 5 looks great and everything does. It's just lovely to look at. It takes me a bit to adjust to 30/60 fps when I'm on my other consoles. Sometimes it looks like my games broken lol. The only downside on PC is when games lock cutscenes to 60 fps (or use lower res video). It looks very jarring sometimes.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
After a certain point (90+fps), you need to just about double your fps to see identical returns.
You've seen 75hz, great. Go 144hz.
If you've partied at 120hz for a long time at 1080p, go 240hz.
At higher resolutions, you start to run out of options. 1440p144hz and over is a small category.

If you care about colors and contrast, don't get a TN.
If you value maximum smoothness, don't get a VA or IPS panel. DON'T.

Your best bet for high frame rate gaming is to get one of the new ELMB panels. That's basically G-Sync compatible/Freesync and ULMB strobbing put together.

TFT did a review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg27aq.htm
Fantastic input lag. A little dim in terms of brightness, no HDR. Sync stuff is basically PC only, no real current gen Xbox/One X support.

I've seen reports that the ELMB causes severe ghosting artifacts at higher refresh rates. I have never used it so I can't say one way or the other but I would love for both to work simultaneously as you would need significantly higher refresh rates and framerates to reduce motion blur better than strobing can. It's a shame that strobing backlights are not a feature of many gaming displays because if you can maintain high framerates they really help for image sharpness.

As for panel type like said they all have their pros and cons. I used TN for years happily but having moved to a VA display now the contrast and colors are significantly more pleasant thanks to its much higher contrast. Even though the TN panel was accurate for sRGB the low contrast ratio vs VA is a factor. In terms of responsiveness I have no complaints with the Samsung CRG9 I have now, don't notice any black smearing issues on it. Both VA and IPS panels are getting better when it comes to response time and while they may never reach the fastest TN they are getting into the "I don't care, looks good" category already.

For refresh rates I agree with your assessment. In my experience 60-100 is a huge difference, 100 to 120 is minor and 120 to 144+ is insignificant. I aim at 60+ framerates in most games depending on the type of game because I favor resolution and visuals over framerate yet at the same time I want to have the capability of exceeding 60 Hz refresh rates where possible. G-Sync/Freesync allow to keep the experience smooth despite framerate variance.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
My 144Hz G-sync monitor was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. The only issue is I really struggle to play PS4 games that aren't at least capped at a stable 30fps. I really hope next-gen consoles have options for frame-rate over resolution. I think the Project Scarlett announcement talked about having the option for variable refresh and frame-rates above 60, hopefully that's actually a reality in both the new consoles.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier this year I made the decision between a 4k/60 monitor or a 1080p/144 FreeSync one after years of having my monitor overclocked to 75hz. I went with the latter and didn't regret it one second, glad others see the light too! :D

Oct 28, 2017
I upgraded to a 100Hz ultra-wide a while back and it completely blew me away, almost equal to my Voodoo 2 upgrade back in the day in terms of wow factor, it's amazing how much difference it makes, if I go back to 60fps now it genuinely feels stuttery, I think for many PC gamers like myself that have been gaming on the PC since the early 90's we have had the "60 fps is the pinnacle" mantra drummed into us for so long we couldn't imagine there was better, well I was wrong, 60 fps feels so limiting now.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
My 144Hz G-sync monitor was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. The only issue is I really struggle to play PS4 games that aren't at least capped at a stable 30fps. I really hope next-gen consoles have options for frame-rate over resolution. I think the Project Scarlett announcement talked about having the option for variable refresh and frame-rates above 60, hopefully that's actually a reality in both the new consoles.
Doesn't the Xbox One X already have something like that?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I know right? Buyinhg a 144hz monitor with freesync was mindblowing. It's amazing I can now feel framedrops into the 60s, and that shit is still smooth

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Me playing Rocket League at 144 fps, seeing frames drop to 142: "GAH, I'M DROPPING FRAMES, UNPLAYABLE!"

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I think for many PC gamers like myself that have been gaming on the PC since the early 90's we have had the "60 fps is the pinnacle" mantra drummed into us for so long we couldn't imagine there was better, well I was wrong, 60 fps feels so limiting now.
But if you were gaming on PC in the early 90s you were doing it on a CRT screen that could go up to 100Hz or higher. It wasn't until the mid 2000s when LCD screens became popular and console gaming stuff started to bleed over that 60 fps became a standard on PC.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 27" BenQ 1080p VA monitor that allowed me to set a custom 1080p resolution with a 75hz refresh. Immediately noticed a difference playing Borderlands 3. So thank you OP for the inspiration to do this.

Unfortunately I like to have my cake and eat it too so I won't be moving to a higher refresh monitor until I can get the same contrast and color as my current monitor without costing an arm and a leg.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 144hz ultrawide and feel like I have never gotten this "come to Jesus" moment that everyone is talking about.

I know it's set up right but am I basically not getting any benefit if I can't hit 144fps? The only game I have that hits that fps solidly is Rocket League and it plays and looks very smooth but I'm not seeing anything mind blowing.

Everything else I play can usually hit 60 and a bit higher but not by much. Am I basically wasting this monitors potential?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
You know what, you are absolutely right. I'm starting to think twice before buying games without full graphics customization. Crash won't let me go above 60fps and this as a big letdown to me

Really is but games like that I play at 4K/60 on my TV but others I'll play at 144 FPS like overwatch.

Seriously though, 144 FPS is so damn buttery smooth. I can max out Witcher 3 and hit 120 almost. It really is a crazy improvement.

But for the really technical people. ULMB or gsync? I love gsync so much but I've tried playing with ULMB on and just wow.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't notice the difference above 60fps though I'm sure I'm getting a responsiveness boost. My monitor only goes up to 100 though.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I will order a 144hz monitor next month. To be honest I don't know what to expect, I have never seen anything above 75hz (not kidding). My pc is also hooked up to a 4K TV so at least I got that covered...

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah once you start utilizing higher refresh rates, you can easily see the difference between 60 and 90+. Even something as simple as moving your mouse doesn't feel nearly as smooth at 60 compared to 144fps.

Much like going from 60 to 30, going from >60 (75/90/120/144/165) back down to 60fps takes a minute to get used to again. I reserve 144fps only for competitive games otherwise I'll be spoiled if I try to hit it for every game.

I'm using a Acer Perpetrator XB271HU for the last 10 month and it's a nice monitor. It cost me about $500USD to buy

That's what I have too and it's excellent.

For anyone looking at this monitor: keep in mind that this particular model is the gsync version, so you can't use Freesync on it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
90fps is my sweetspot.

60 to 90 is night and day whatever the game, 90 to 120 I only really notice in racing games or super fast-paced FPS.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Relatively fresh 144hz freesync owner. When I first booted up a game in 144 it was a true next gen moment. Feels bloody fantastic playing games at that refresh rate.

I was blown away the moment I moved my mouse in Windows!

Because of this thread I tried to overclock my monitor and successfully got to 74Hz. My monitor can't handle 75Hz :(

Even 74 will already make 60 feel like meh and technically without VRR 74 is better than 75 because you can evenly divide it to 37fps if needed, 37.5 is iffy.

Oct 28, 2017
But if you were gaming on PC in the early 90s you were doing it on a CRT screen that could go up to 100Hz or higher. It wasn't until the mid 2000s when LCD screens became popular and console gaming stuff started to bleed over that 60 fps became a standard on PC.

Well if they could I wasn't aware of it, was that really the case? all CRTs could be overclocked to 100Hz or higher? I remember having a 17inch flat screen CRT that was amazing at the time and moving onto the early LCD's really did feel like a big step back.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If you think that's good, go for a 144Hz freesync monitor, you will love it. High fps games feel like a dream on one~

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for there to be GPUs with HDMI 2.1 support.
As soon as there are, assuming they're new GPUs and not a refresh of existing ones, I'll almost certainly be upgrading to one, along with a new OLED TV that has a 120Hz Variable Refresh Rate. Sure, it's a compromise being 16:9 but they seem to have given up on the idea of ultra-wide TVs.
HDMI 2.1, and TVs officially supporting 120Hz VRR now is such a big deal for gaming. Expect there to be a lot of noise about it once next-gen consoles are released.

I've been playing it at 90 FPS on PC.
You can use SpecialK to force the game to run at your display's maximum refresh rate rather than 60Hz, and the game's frame rate is tied to that (100Hz in my case, and I cap to 90 FPS).

Details here:

Yep, I got the C9 and am excited for HDMI 2.1 cards and the Gsync update. I will be playing COD MW at 120HZ 1440p I think.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I got the C9 and am excited for HDMI 2.1 cards and the Gsync update.
Same with me, I decided to get a C9 instead of a new monitor and the differences OLED HDR @ 120 HZ makes even at just 1080p are outstanding.
I'm eagerly waiting for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to start coming out.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Well if they could I wasn't aware of it, was that really the case? all CRTs could be overclocked to 100Hz or higher? I remember having a 17inch flat screen CRT that was amazing at the time and moving onto the early LCD's really did feel like a big step back.
Every CRT I ever used could go above 60Hz without doing anything special. I thought most people set them higher even for non-gaming because 60Hz was headache-inducing

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a 144hz ultrawide and feel like I have never gotten this "come to Jesus" moment that everyone is talking about.

I know it's set up right but am I basically not getting any benefit if I can't hit 144fps? The only game I have that hits that fps solidly is Rocket League and it plays and looks very smooth but I'm not seeing anything mind blowing.

Everything else I play can usually hit 60 and a bit higher but not by much. Am I basically wasting this monitors potential?

I don't know about ultrawide, I'm still on 16:9, but you don't necessarily need to fully reach 144 fps to get benefit from your monitor. The difference between consistent 60 and 65 Hz may not be very perceptible, but 80, 100, 120 fps? Should look and/or feel smoother than baseline 60. But if you're not going much above 60 in most of your games, then yeah, having a high refresh rate monitor won't yield much benefit, at least for gaming. Doing other tasks like navigating your desktop or webpage scrolling should still feel better, though.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Cant wait. Finally got my 2080ti FTW Ultra, next step is to rebuild the rest of the rig with a 3950x in November, and right now its hooked up to my 65' Curved 4K Samsung in the living room. (Don't get me wrong, this is awesome) at 60hz max.

Then the final and most expensive step, sometime before Cyberpunk 2077, which is really what is making me build this rig, I will buy the PG35VQ.

200hz, HDR 1000, G-Sync, Quantum Dot, 35 Inch Ultrawide.

I have never experienced higher refresh rate than 60hz in anything but my HTC Vive. So I am super pumped for that. Also, I should be able to net higher framerates with the Ultrawide due to it resolution than I do with my 4KTV.
jsl6FXr.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
In eSports titles, sure.

I know, I was mostly kidding that's why I had the smiley there :P Though to be honest now I still get 80-120fps easily even in newer games like Borderlands 3 and BFV though it helps that I have no interest in games like Metro that are really pushing graphics. That's the beauty of G-Sync/FreeSync though, I basically stopped caring about my framerate at all aslong as I am over above my 48hz VRR limit.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this thread, I managed to overclock my monitor to a refresh rate of 75 Hz. This better not awake something within me. I've been playing Sunset Overdrive and it runs a lot smoother. (And also realized I can actually run it at 110 FPS with V-sync off...)

EDIT: I can't believe I could have been playing this way all along.

Last edited: