• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough, I can still play on the TV with just 60hz although I have been playing at 144hz on PC for probably 10 years now IIRC.
I threw a bit of hyperbole in there. I've only had my 100hz for about 3 years and I've become extremely accustomed to it in multiplayer shooters. Apex Legends on console looks very strange to my eyes. I fully admit its a 'me' problem.

It really only bothers me in a few games. I played Control on PC recently with some raytracing turned on around 40-50 fps. With the smoothness of Gsync I didn't notice it at all after a couple hours.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I plan to stick with consoles in the future so I feel I don't want to ever get used to such a silky smooth framerate haha. I bet it's amazing though! My brother has seen the light.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten really interested in getting a 144Hz display lately but am kinda put off by the lackluster graphics card advancement in the last bunch of years (price/performance anyway) and I really worry about pixel-response-time or what exactly it's called. Where even if I were to buy a high refresh IPS display (can't with TN nowadays) some of those high framerate benefits are negatively affected by a smear of sorts because the individual pixels don't really change fast enough? Dunno how severe this actual is, but you read so many reviews and impressions of people absolutely hating it that I'm really hesitant.

In general, there seem to be so damn many important display attributes that it seems near impossible to get sth that doesn't have a potentially always aspect without also costing an arm and a leg.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
It's too late, your eyes are ruined. Once you break 100hz, 60fps will never be enough.
I just can't believe some action games are released on PC and still locked to 60-fps cap.

All of Tecmo Koei PC ports are still capped to 60fps and those games are like the pinnacle of needing to go above 60fps. Many enemies, screen panning everywhere, action etc. The next One Piece musou had better be open framerate on PC because nothing else they released have (Warriors Orochi 4, Dynasty Warriors 9, Attack on Titan 2 etc).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Really no going back from 144hz monitors +

Even more so, there's no going back from Gsync / Freesync combined with high refresh rate monitors! Absolutely one of the best purchases you can make for your PC!
Currently rocking an IPS 144hz Gsync monitor w/ 10 bit, wide gamut. No turning back!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note (because it seems to be not well known) - you can overclook PC screens pretty easy within few seconds and most 60 FPS screens can usually reach 70-75 FPS without any issue. So if anyone has a 60Hz screen and wants to test the difference: just OC your screen and you'll see the same difference as the OP.

Edit: was already mentioned

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing pseudo retro shooters like Dusk at 120hz on PC CRT and it would blow your mind.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I made the jump to 144Hz a few years ago, because I was primarily playing Overwatch and my GTX 970 could handle that game without an upgrade necessary. I've never regretted it for a second, the monitor I bought (VG248QE) is still the same price now that it was when I bought it, so it's held its value very well as an entry-level high-refresh monitor.

It hasn't made it impossible for me to go back to low framerates, though, I'm playing Metal Wolf Chaos XD locked to 30fps and it's not the worst thing in the world.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I have a hard time noticing frames higher tan 120HZ, but the jump from 60 to 120hz is a game changer. There's a lot I don't love about PC gaming, but the jump in frame rate makes it impossible to go back to consoles for most games.

Nov 8, 2017
I game on a 144hz 1440p display. It's nice for sure. Since I have gsync I tend to cap games around 80-100fps, which imo is the sweet spot range. I like to cap at whatever level I can get consistent, stable performance, which I prefer to a fluctuating framerate (even with VRR!).

Apr 21, 2018
...I'm still okay with 30. Am I part of the problem?

One day all of our grandkids will be disgusted we played games in the 20fps range. It'll be the equivalent of movies without sound.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 165hz monitor, and I have to say the difference between 60 and 165 fps is noticeable but it isn't as big as you'd think.

I think the jump in resolution made all the difference for me, 1440p is infinitely better than 1080p.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I have my eyes on the LG 27GL850-B 27, but seems like LG only made like 10 of them or something.

My only concern with buying a new monitor is the so called panel lottery.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
For all of you 144hz guys and girls, what sort of hardware do you need to run that, and how often do you have to make cuts to visuals to retain it? With a GTX 1070 I often struggle to maintain 60fps at 1080p in modern games like AC Odyssey. Curious about the potential of high frame rates though - I want a new monitor next year with a 3000 series RTX card.
it depends on the resolution of the monitor and the game you're playing. AC ody is very demanding even on the best gpus of today. you're just not getting 144 ultra with that game on anything really.

Just get the best GPU you can afford and the best monitor you can afford.
Are you telling me 144hz is smooth as eggs?
even smoother, my dude.

even.

smoother.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
For all of you 144hz guys and girls, what sort of hardware do you need to run that, and how often do you have to make cuts to visuals to retain it? With a GTX 1070 I often struggle to maintain 60fps at 1080p in modern games like AC Odyssey. Curious about the potential of high frame rates though - I want a new monitor next year with a 3000 series RTX card.

i have a 970 and a run 144hz 1440 monitor. i just turn everything down until i get the frame rate i want

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
true gamers only play at 999FPS but seriously is it that much better? i have never seen a difference but it does feel smoother

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Relatively fresh 144hz freesync owner. When I first booted up a game in 144 it was a true next gen moment. Feels bloody fantastic playing games at that refresh rate.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've got a 144hz monitor and a (full screen) monitor that's 75hz as a second monitor and the difference is pretty big on the smoothness. You'll love if you go more.

There's no going back to lower. I've got a 1080p TN panel and I'm fine with it when combined with my 2070. I can push high framerates in many games, even newer ones, since it's lower res. My 6600k CPU is the one holding me back nowadays.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017

When you get a monitor with a defective display (like having dead pixels) while others don't have any issues at all, even though they are same monitor. It's more of a quality control issue. You just have read reviews and user feedback on which ever monitor(s) you're looking to get.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I have a 120Hz monitor, but I do just fine with lower FPS games, on PC or on consoles. It did kinda sucked that the PC port MGR didn't allow for over 60FPS, I double dipped just for that reason but didn't inform myself before.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
144fps and 1440p is the sweet spot. With gsync even if you fluctuate from 70-140fps it'll look smooth.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I want a 4K 100Hz+ screen just for desktop use. Mouse movement, text scrolling, everything feels so much better. It's like you got a faster computer, it gives you that impression. What's out now is too expensive and not that good. Gotta stay with 1440p for now.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Literally me seeing 62 FPS

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
Getting a 144hz refresh rate monitor makes a huge difference in gaming. Specifically faster paced games like competitive games like FPS. I highly recommend getting one along with a G-Sync or Freesync capabilities.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've been thinking about getting a 144hz monitor for a while now and this thread is not helping my wallet.... anyone got good recs??
I'm thinking about one of them LG OLED VRR TVs because I play PC games on my couch anyway, any reason not to?
Edit: is it even worth it on a 1070?

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, and here I am at 90-110 fps on the regular being like "...maybe there's a difference?(between it and 60)" Some one could explain I'm feeling placebo and I'd believe it honestly, it hasn't felt like that radical of a change, but I've never been too cognizant of fps typically.

I will say though, moving from 1080 to 1440 was incredibly noticeable for something I was initially worried would feel like a half step. It does look so much better.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
165hz has been the biggest upgrade I've experienced in my 20+ years of gaming only behind broadband and SSDs.

High refresh rate > resolution or HDR

Luckily, though, on PC you can have it all :)

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Bruh
Im on over 200fps
Git gud OP

3440x1440 UW 120fps+ is godly.
Ive noticed i even outright suck on the console versions of games like in say gears 5.
Its 60fps and in 4k..but the lack of fov makes it feel like sluggish shit to me compared to 120fps+ mav fov on my pc.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a monitor that could do more than 60 before. Are there stores in the U.S. where you can test higher-FPS displays? I'm still super skeptical about whether or not the difference will even be perceptible to me.
Recently I was playing Path of Exile while multitasking so I capped the framerate to 60 since it was just in the background doing nothing. When I was done I forgot about the cap and it felt bad, I could no longer read the text on the loot that dropped while in motion like I used to, so I noticed right away since stopping to read was slowing me down. That advantage was gone. It's things like this that you notice.

I was excited to see what the fuss was about and my first game was Warframe, it was crazy to me the first time. Now I'm used to it and going to 60 is the thing that I notice for that game.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
A 144Hz Gsync monitor is 100% worth the money imo. Before getting my PC I didn't think I'd care about anything higher than 60 FPS, but higher framerates definitely feel noticeably better. And with Gsync I can go from 144 FPS down to around 90 and not even notice.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I threw a bit of hyperbole in there. I've only had my 100hz for about 3 years and I've become extremely accustomed to it in multiplayer shooters. Apex Legends on console looks very strange to my eyes. I fully admit its a 'me' problem.

It really only bothers me in a few games. I played Control on PC recently with some raytracing turned on around 40-50 fps. With the smoothness of Gsync I didn't notice it at all after a couple hours.
Ha, now that you mention it, I have a hard time playing Rocket League on consoles compared to PC.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
But I want better colors/contrast too!!
IPS and VA panels SUCK!
That's the one major area where PC gaming is lacking.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Because of this thread I tried to overclock my monitor and successfully got to 74Hz. My monitor can't handle 75Hz :(

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I just personally downgraded from a 144hz monitor because it broke thanks to my idiocy. Using my spare 1080P monitor with DRS but I can't turn Vsync off because the screen tearing at 100+ frames for any game is terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Please, if you had the same experience tell us about what do you think about higher frame rates.
After a certain point (90+fps), you need to just about double your fps to see identical returns.
You've seen 75hz, great. Go 144hz.
If you've partied at 120hz for a long time at 1080p, go 240hz.
At higher resolutions, you start to run out of options. 1440p144hz and over is a small category.

If you care about colors and contrast, don't get a TN.
If you value maximum smoothness, don't get a VA or IPS panel. DON'T.

Your best bet for high frame rate gaming is to get one of the new ELMB panels. That's basically G-Sync compatible/Freesync and ULMB strobbing put together.

TFT did a review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg27aq.htm
Fantastic input lag. A little dim in terms of brightness, no HDR. Sync stuff is basically PC only, no real current gen Xbox/One X support.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I have a 165hz monitor, and I have to say the difference between 60 and 165 fps is noticeable but it isn't as big as you'd think.

Yeah no. going from 60 to even 120 was eye opening in fast paced games. The motion clarity in racing games and online shooters is king.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
After doing 144hz gameplay it takes me a few hours to get used to 60 and a bit more to get used to games that are 30.