• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Avoiding the "it's a gacha" answer, there are a few other reasons I can think of for some of those dragons:

Siren, in both of her incarnations, was released as a part of (and is a major character in the story of) the Summer events. Gacha tradition is that summer characters show a ton of skin. Furthermore, Pop music is a part of Dragalia's DNA, so they interpreted the mythological Siren as a pop star, and so she dresses accordingly. I thought it was a kind of clever interpretation? Very fitting for a game with pop music playing almost 100% of the time.

Looking at the wiki page for Freyja from Norse mythology, she's a goddess associated with love, sex and fertility (among other things). So she's got big tits I guess lol. I don't know if that necessarily justifies it (and I don't really want to get into whether you always need to justify a character having large breasts), but I will say that I find her design to be coherent and cool. She's one of my favorite dragons.

Cerberus's design is lifted pretty much wholesale from Granblue Fantasy's Cerberus, so that's why she looks as she does. I definitely think it's a pretty shit design in games.

These are interesting interpretations that take several factors, both in-universe as well as outside of the game, into account, thanks. But they also partially feel like thermian arguments because the developers made a conscious effort to also include humanoid dragons. Basically, the game has all these elaborate backstories and lore about dragonpacts but also expects the player to accept some dragons that don't really look like dragons at all but are drawn from other parts of mythology. Maybe the Japanese have a different conception of what a dragon is...

No the issue is that you feel your opinion is morally superior to people that may enjoy these designs. This is implied buy the way you titled the thread and your responses.

You don't have to look at what you feel is implied. I explicitly spell out what my issue with this is: That the developers stretch the definition of what a dragon looks like for the express purpose of titillation which is also heavily lopsided towards female characters. If I wanted to make a thread about the questionable designs of the game in general, I could have found plenty of examples among the adventurers. But I didn't.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dragons in the Dragalia Lost universe take on whatever forms they want, the most prominent example being Mym of course:
Gala%20Mym-5-star.png

There is no hard rule on what a dragon is and I think that is perfectly fine for giving a good diversity of designs.

The one in the summoning banner right now is a very stereotypical dragon

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite get why cis men keep equating cleavage with dick bulge when its been clear that is not the case at all. Even more when you watch/read media made for women by women.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I was expecting reptiles with boobs from the title, but this is just shitty anime loli garbage ew
Furry races aren't that popular with the gacha/anime crowd, as Japanese people didn't grew up to the extent western audience did to shows with animal protagonists. Like the only tv anime I can think off with an animal protagonist is Silver Fang and Sherlock Hound.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
2 words: Otaku Culture

More words: Japanese Otaku are often sexually repressed perverts(i.e. Virgin manchildren with creepy fetishes) with money to burn.

Since around the mid-2000s, from what I've seen, this pandering has skyrocketed in anime, games, manga and light novels.

Dragalia Lost, in terms of fanservice is G-rated casual fare compared to other gacha games. Fate/GO, Granblue Fantasy, Azur Lane, etc are the most egregious examples.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
There is no hard rule on what a dragon is and I think that is perfectly fine for giving a good diversity of designs.

The one in the summoning banner right now is a very stereotypical dragon
I think the only consistent rule is they need to have horns and tails, and aside from that anything goes (and for Cereberus, I guess horns on Coco and Mimi along with having twintails counts).

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like scalies are almost always drawn like that. Sometimes people give them belly buttons too, which doesn't really make sense for a reptilian type species.

Edit: oh shit there are human forms. Can't help you there

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this is a really cool design! I love it!

Here is one I think is pretty cool as well.

Edit: Also, I don't get the point of this thread if the answer is already known. Is this supposed to lead to a discussion? What is there to discuss?
Both Marishiten and Holloween Silke are really good (and wholesome) Dark Unit dragons.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if the premise is that "dragons" need to look more like actual "dragons", then I got serious questions right up front on what an actual "dragon" looks like.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
2 words: Otaku Culture

More words: Japanese Otaku are often sexually repressed perverts(i.e. Virgin manchildren with creepy fetishes) with money to burn.

Since around the mid-2000s, from what I've seen, this pandering has skyrocketed in anime, games, manga and light novels.

Dragalia Lost, in terms of fanservice is G-rated casual fare compared to other gacha games. Fate/GO, Granblue Fantasy, Azur Lane, etc are the most egregious examples.

what does them being a virgin have to do with any of that? I'm a virgin and im not into or go looking for crap like that, not really a fan of virgin shaming (I'm also super socially awkward because I have autism spectrum disorder=(

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And so I am once again reminded that this is still not out in Europe, or at least the country I'm in.

Seems like I'm not missing out on much though. Nintendo continues to displease with their pandering to this type of crowd.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These are interesting interpretations that take several factors, both in-universe as well as outside of the game, into account, thanks. But they also partially feel like thermian arguments because the developers made a conscious effort to also include humanoid dragons. Basically, the game has all these elaborate backstories and lore about dragonpacts but also expects the player to accept some dragons that don't really look like dragons at all but are drawn from other parts of mythology. Maybe the Japanese have a different conception of what a dragon is...

Yeah, obviously their designs are all conscious decisions. We pretty much all accept the premise is that they're fan servicey because that's what sells in the gacha space, so I think we can still discuss what they may have been going for thematically, given the constraints and expectations of the genre.

If we look at this sort of design as being a necessary evil for a gacha, I think it's interesting to compare, say, Siren and Cerberus. Both are unique takes on mythological creatures. Siren has become an idol, while Cerberus has two doggie mitts instead of three heads. Beyond those mitts though, I can't think of any reason why Cerberus has to be dressed as she is. Siren, on the other hand, lives near the sea, aspires to sing for people, and her events ultimately culminate in an actual concert. So her being dressed as an idol feels consistent thematically with both the summer events and the game as a whole, while still being the kind of design that usually gets people pulling.

Beyond this, I'd say DL definitely has a broad definition of what a dragon can be. You've got traditional dragons, people, birds, imps, bears (including a panda), etc. I think it's safe to say they mostly design whatever the heck they want and then slap a tail on it lol.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most bishounen are rated by the size of their bulges. Probably a good reason why Dragalia's male dragons don't tend to generate decent sales.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean if the premise is that "dragons" need to look more like actual "dragons", then I got serious questions right up front on what an actual "dragon" looks like.

Merriam-Webster's definition seems like a good starting point:

1archaic : a huge serpent

2: a mythical animal usually represented as a monstrous winged and scaly serpent or saurian with a crested head and enormous claws

Although these vary from culture to culture, "scaly serpent or saurian" seems to fit most.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Came in expecting dragons with human female breasts, got run-of-the-mill waifus with scales instead.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
All it seems to me is that you're making a thread so that people can join up with you and agree on the thing that you've already agreed on. I'm not sure what you are trying to get out of posting this, if you already know why they do this other then just to show us an example.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Because boobs are nice and boobs sell. Gacha is the future of gaming, I suggest you prepare for the worst.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For reference this is also a dragon:

400px-210080_01_portrait.png

Anything can be a dragon in dragalia. Even pandas.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, obviously their designs are all conscious decisions. We pretty much all accept the premise is that they're fan servicey because that's what sells in the gacha space, so I think we can still discuss what they may have been going for thematically, given the constraints and expectations of the genre.

If we look at this sort of design as being a necessary evil for a gacha, I think it's interesting to compare, say, Siren and Cerberus. Both are unique takes on mythological creatures. Siren has become an idol, while Cerberus has two doggie mitts instead of three heads. Beyond those mitts though, I can't think of any reason why Cerberus has to be dressed as she is. Siren, on the other hand, lives near the sea, aspires to sing for people, and her events ultimately culminate in an actual concert. So her being dressed as an idol feels consistent thematically with both the summer events and the game as a whole, while still being the kind of design that usually gets people pulling.

Beyond this, I'd say DL definitely has a broad definition of what a dragon can be. You've got traditional dragons, people, birds, imps, bears (including a panda), etc. I think it's safe to say they mostly design whatever the heck they want and then slap a tail on it lol.

Of course, however, extending the fanservice to the dragons and mainly the female ones seems to be extra cynical. Especially when for example Garuda is based on a (seemingly?) male Hindu deity.

Them trying to put some more effort in rooting the newer dragons in the themes and lore of the universe, like they did with Siren and Freyja, is at least something.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
"This gacha game went for shallow sex appeal in its character designs" shouldn't be surprising or really even noteworthy. I don't play them myself, but do people really even consider them to have any artistic merit to speak of? My impression is that most people think of them as cynical cash grabs or at best decent time wasters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So a thing that is fictional creature and can be whatever people really please? Got it.

damn heckin bamboozled

"This gacha game went for shallow sex appeal in its character designs" shouldn't be surprising or really even noteworthy. I don't play them myself, but do people really even consider them to have any artistic merit to speak of? My impression is that most people think of them as cynical cash grabs or at best decent time wasters.

As others have mentioned, the game isn't as "bad" as others in its genre and there's plenty to enjoy outside of that. It's obviously not The Witcher 3 but it has entertaining stories from time to time.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some gatcha games have incredible art, Dragalia Lost in particular has great and interesting looking characters of both genders and a wide variety of dragon forms that yes do include some that look like women (and men)

I'm sure if you looked through the character and dragon lists youd find designs you like, that's one of the appeals of gatcha games, large casts of likeable characters

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong, but I think that's a question you ask after you ask why they have humanoid dragons at all.

In other words: "Why do you have humanoid dragons?" followed by "Why did you feel the need to sexualize your humanoid dragons so much?".

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the obvious answers, I'm guessing humanoid dragons opens the possibly for them to be made into adventurers later the same way certain summons in Granblue Fantasy went from summons to characters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the obvious answers, I'm guessing humanoid dragons opens the possibly for them to be made into adventurers later the same way certain summons in Granblue Fantasy went from summons to characters.

Oh. Ohh.

I guess this is a good point. How did those characters change? Got any examples?

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
what does them being a virgin have to do with any of that? I'm a virgin and im not into or go looking for crap like that, not really a fan of virgin shaming (I'm also super socially awkward because I have autism spectrum disorder=(
It's probably the idea that their otherwise unfulfilled sexual urges attract them to games where they can look at and have a shallow relationship to sexual objects.
I also remember an article which implied that addictive behaviour is related to a lack of intimacy, while men also are conditioned to be intimate only at most with a SO.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I'm very confused why this thread exists and I'm very afraid =(
All it seems to me is that you're making a thread so that people can join up with you and agree on the thing that you've already agreed on. I'm not sure what you are trying to get out of posting this, if you already know why they do this other then just to show us an example.
Stop being obtuse, this is clearly a rant thread.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the main two audiences for this game ATM from my experience are straight male otaku and gay male furries. And pleasing the furries just involves releasing things like Shinobi, Vayu, and, perhaps more blatantly, Pazuzu. Chthonius and some others are also fairly popular among furries since we want, like, actual dragons for our men, man. :P They can then spend the rest of their efforts focusing on the bigger straight male otaku audience which involves, well...

Boobs.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I honestly came in to this thread with the assumption this was about why people draw breasts on a reptile.

Avoiding the "it's a gacha" answer, there are a few other reasons I can think of for some of those dragons:

Siren, in both of her incarnations, was released as a part of (and is a major character in the story of) the Summer events. Gacha tradition is that summer characters show a ton of skin. Furthermore, Pop music is a part of Dragalia's DNA, so they interpreted the mythological Siren as a pop star, and so she dresses accordingly. I thought it was a kind of clever interpretation? Very fitting for a game with pop music playing almost 100% of the time.

Looking at the wiki page for Freyja from Norse mythology, she's a goddess associated with love, sex and fertility (among other things). So she's got big tits I guess lol. I don't know if that necessarily justifies it (and I don't really want to get into whether you always need to justify a character having large breasts), but I will say that I find her design to be coherent and cool. She's one of my favorite dragons.

Cerberus's design is lifted pretty much wholesale from Granblue Fantasy's Cerberus, so that's why she looks as she does. I definitely think it's a pretty shit design in games.

The cross-characters are a CyGames thing. There's been a lot of characters that migrate in the CyVerse. Like Olivia in Shadowverse, Cerberus, Grea in Shadowverse, Rage of Bahamut etc. They usually cross over as summons. Granblue Fantasy seems to be like the dumping ground for everyone though.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Ohh.

I guess this is a good point. How did those characters change? Got any examples?
Tiamat Summon

Tiamat Character

Yggdrasil Summon

Yggdrasil Character

That's two of like a dozen summons turned characters. For Dragalia Lost it would probably just be new art with their specific weapon and they would be sized down.