• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What gun position do you choose, given the option?

• To the right

Votes: 237 82.9%
  • Centred

Votes: 34 11.9%
  • To the left

Votes: 15 5.2%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
DOOM 2016 was a great game. Non-stop action, lots of cool weapons, good music, but more on topic: it introduced me to this great feature:

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Instead of your gun taking up half the right side of the screen, you have the option to centre it like in the old DOOM games (and other shooters of course) and it works so much better for aiming to the point where you can easily disable the reticle and still be able to play just fine. The extra screen real state with a very wide FOV is just the cherry on top that turns the game's pace up to 11.

Now, as far as I'm aware the new DOOM games and Quake Champions are the only AAA games that let you choose the centered gun position, which is a pretty big shame. Indie games like Ultrakill or DUSK are better in this regard, but even on that scene it's not a guarantee. I'd love to see this option become more prevalent across FPS games because it makes playing them so much better for me; I guess the counterargument is that it makes ADS a bit redundant and most games have implemented that mechanic nowadays, but I'd love to see it in games like the first few Halo games where that isn't a thing. What do you think?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
That looks too weird for me. If you were to hold a firearm, like a shotgun, you wouldn't actually hold it out directly in front of you. It would go either to the left or right shoulder. Yes, I know its a video game, but it just looks weird.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Seems unnecessary to me (for 'realism') when the aim function in an FPS usually centers the gun. No one walks around with their gun perfectly centered in front of them even when they're not aiming/firing.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I have no strong preference, but I did center the gun in Doom 2016 and Eternal for nostalgia's sake. I'd be okay with having the option to do so in other FPSes.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Yeah I love center in Doom 2016. Felt like it made aiming subconciously easier.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Center makes me picture the character holding the gun awkwardly against their chest like a dumbass.

Please keep your weapon on the right side of the screen, thank you very much.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I always found that very weird looking, especially for anything bigger/ longer than a pistol. How are you supposed to hold a weapon that is 75cm long centered in front of you?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wolfenstien 3d started that in 1992. I think it's an option that only works well for certain games, I used it on my second and third playthroughs of Doom Eternal.

I feel like I've never seen a game with the game to the left though?
It was actually the default in the original mod version of Counterstrike. Plenty of players still do this today. Something about more screen space on the side of the monitor with the dominant eye.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Centered. Running and gunning is way more fun and feels more natural without crosshairs.
It's bonkers how well it works.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i wouldn't mind an option to remove the gun entirely from the screen, leaving just a reticle

but you'd have to plan for that if there is important ui information there, lots of devs love to have led or LCD screens for ammo counts on future guns

depending on how it's modeled having a center option could be a lot more work than you'd think

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
If the argument is you want the gun to not block your view, why not just ask for the option to not draw the model at all like the old Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six games?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Lant for this offense from now on your FPS games will be with gun on the left.

cheers.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If the argument is you want the gun to not block your view, why not just ask for the option to not draw the model at all like the old Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six games?
I still want to see the gun designs, especially on games like DOOM where they're all pretty unique

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Reading the thread title, I thought you were talking about the reticle (as many games since Halo 2 have adopted a lower one to have a bit more vertical space).

I was not expecting that. I think it's cool.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I love it in Doom, and I think it actually makes it register better in my head as a Doom game. I think 2016 and Eternal could easily be proud enough of that heritage to have it centered as default.

And likewise for games that try to evoke Doom, Heretic/Hexen, Quake, it makes a lot of sense and really completes the "contour" you expect from a classic shooter HUD.

But I don't agree that it should be a blanket thing across all shooters. It really requires that your game is either simple enough that gun animations don't need to be readable, or that the animators take both settings into account, which is a lot of extra work with dubious returns.

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
If you have the gun in the center, then you should not be able to aim. To me is like shooting from the hip.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Quake Champions and Ultrakill let you iirc, you can also use a console command to enable it in Counter Strike. But yeah, not a lot of games.
It was actually the default in the original mod version of Counterstrike. Plenty of players still do this today. Something about more screen space on the side of the monitor with the dominant eye.
Interesting, thanks! I wonder the reason why the standard became the weapon on the right

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Having it as an option is fine.

It feels weird to me, but some people like having the gun centered.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not call the disgrace that is Quake Champions 'AAA'. I would imagine the vast majority of the Quake community is praying that the proper id devs working on Doom give Quake the Doom 2016 treatment and bring it back. I actually hate Quake Champions for existing because it's a shit game and has no playerbase so I worry that the decision makers won't greenlight a proper Quake sequel with a proper budget given how poorly Quake Champions is doing.

Who even holds a gun like this?
This was a very popular feature in Quake back in the day. I know I used it. Just felt right for that game, especially at a time where screen real estate was much more scarce (4:3 monitors on small screens).

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That seems cool for doom in a throwback-easter-egg kinda way but not something I think I want anywhere else.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016's implementation of it looks absolutely awful

Tf2's quake rocket launcher looks way better

Or games can just stop making guns take up 75% of the screen. Sprinting in Destiny was literally like putting a blindfold on, I know this is a more extreme example cause its a heavy weapon but using my old DMR conditioned me to stop sprinting because you would hold your gun basically sideways across the whole screen block my view

Oct 27, 2017
It works for Doom if you're into it but I imagine it would be really awkward in every other game once you have to ADS or do stuff like laying on the floor.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or games can just stop making guns take up 75% of the screen. Sprinting in Destiny was literally like putting a blindfold on, I know this is a more extreme example cause its a heavy weapon but using my old DMR conditioned me to stop sprinting because you would hold your gun basically sideways across the whole screen block my view
This is my complaint.

I genuinely couldn't make it through Wolfenstein 2 because of this, especially during ADS. I don't know what it was specifically, but I remember not being able to see the enemies relative to where the crosshair was. And I saw a bunch of people just saying that ADS sucks and to hipfire because of it:

QREQmbn.png

I know the game's old, but it only recently came out on PC so it's a recent offender for me. Wtf is this? It's less bad than your Destiny example because it's not taking up as much of the center, but still.

11ASKTf.jpg

Last edited:

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Wolfenstien 3d started that in 1992. I think it's an option that only works well for certain games, I used it on my second and third playthroughs of Doom Eternal.

Even in CS1.6, the gun models are showing the right side of the weapon, so it's supposed to be on the left side of the screen.

Choco Momonga

May 24, 2018
I agree as the guns in Overwatch take up so much real estate on the screen. I'm not one to disable gun models completely but some choice would be nice.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Right is normal, majority of people are right handed. Left is a great option for anyone looking for some lefty representation.

No one holds a gun in the center of their body. No one. Ever. In the history of guns.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I know the game's old, but it only recently came out on PC so it's a recent offender for me. Wtf is this? It's less bad than your Destiny example because it's not taking up as much of the center, but still.

11ASKTf.jpg

I think for the H3 Rocket Launcher, its meant to be a trade off. You have a 1 hit kill with massive splash damage, but your view is impaired.