• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
Wfm9LqB.png

I'm very much interested in a VR version of the original Mirror's Edge. Despite being a 10+ year old game, it's a game that really has withstood the test of time. It's a masterpiece, and one of DICE's greatest games in my opinion. Myself, and several others in the small community, have voiced an interest in a VR version for several years now. However, while it's easy to want/ask for things, how feasible would it really be?

------------------------------------
d5brjpp-2ac74e4f-5813-4f70-ada3-56fc7c0acedf.png

Why the original Mirror's Edge and not Catalyst?

The original Mirror's Edge is a cult hit and a fan favorite. Its game play and beautiful world captured the hearts of many fans. Not only that, it's a game created with First-Person in mind, which makes it a perfect candidate for VR.

MirrorsEdge-Banner.jpg

Why VR (Virtual Reality)?

I had my first taste of VR back in 2016, when the PSVR released. When I tried it, I instantly became a believer in what the technology could do. What I thought was impossible suddenly became the "what if's" and "what could be's". I had so many ideas and thoughts rushing into my head that it essentially revitalized my love for gaming. It really felt like I was being reintroduced to gaming again.

I never knew how bored I was with console gaming until I tried VR. There was an itch that I never knew I had, that suddenly got scratched. It made me realize that console gaming was a lot of the same, sometimes with a stronger iteration each generation but the way you would interact with them was always the same or similar. VR was new, it was fresh, it was different and I loved it. I'm currently a proud owner of an Oculus Rift CV1 and I will continue to invest in VR as I move forward.

VR has grown significantly over the years since the days of the old Oculus DK1 and Vive development kits. We now have higher resolution headsets with accessible controls. We have the Oculus Rift S, the HTC Vive Cosmos, the Valve Index and Windows Mixed Reality Headsets to name a few off the top of my head.

Despite VR being around for decades, we've already reached a point where VR is getting into the hands of the masses. There are a lot of great titles out there like Farpoint, SUPER HOT, Beat Saber, Sairento, Astro Bot, RAW DATA, Blade & Sorcery, Lone Echo, Echo Arena, MOSS, VRChat, Rec Room, and Pavlov to name a few.

Now while VR was not a massive success as we would have liked, given that its hard to market a VR headset, it's still a huge step forward. We still have a ways to go in terms of growth and technology, but what we have now is already pretty great in my opinion.

What kind of game play mechanics would Mirrors Edge VR have?

Honestly if I could combine 3 currently released VR titles into one game, they would be Climbey, Sprint Vector, and To The Top.

[Climbey]

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

[Sprint Vector]

ab55393a87b6e19a6f9e7832af88e1945f90abea.gif

tumblr_osxjxn5OWF1si4jeeo1_500.gif

[To The Top]

EDIT: I want to give an honorable mention to Sairento VR as well, for its wall-running and sliding mechanics.

For those wondering just how beautiful the world of Mirror's Edge is, I have two threads here filled with screenshots. I put a lot of love and care into the screenshots.

The environments are really a sight to behold that invoke a feeling of want. I want to be there, and what better way to do that? Virtual Reality.

www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge. (Warning: Image Heavy)

UPDATE: More screenshots from the first game added! I was a big fan of the original Mirror's Edge. I would play it every now and then throughout the years and the beauty of the game never ceased to amaze me. The sense of exploration, wonder and parkour elements is what made Mirror's Edge an...
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge #2 (Image Heavy)

For those that missed my first thread, you can find it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-beautiful-world-of-mirrors-edge-warning-image-heavy.70660/ With the year 2020 fast approaching, I've decided to start yet another playthrough of one of my favorite games, Mirror's Edge. This is...

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
i just ate a whole large pizza and the thread title alone was enough to make me feel queasy

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Problem is probably not in a port but to change stuff so it does not make you vomit without spending millions on that.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the amount of games with crazy locomotion methods I think it'd be pretty doable. Just dont have rolling lol

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Wfm9LqB.png

I'm very much interested in a VR version of the original Mirror's Edge. Despite being a 10+ year old game, it's a game that really has withstood the test of time. It's a masterpiece, and one of DICE's greatest games in my opinion. Myself, and several others in the small community, have voiced an interest in a VR version for several years now. However, while it's easy to want/ask for things, how feasible would it really be?

d5brjpp-2ac74e4f-5813-4f70-ada3-56fc7c0acedf.png

Why the original Mirror's Edge and not Catalyst?

The original Mirror's Edge is a cult hit and a fan favorite. Its game play and beautiful world captured the hearts of many fans. Not only that, it's a game created with First-Person in mind, which makes it a perfect candidate for VR.

MirrorsEdge-Banner.jpg

Why VR (Virtual Reality)?

I had my first taste of VR back in 2016, when the PSVR released. When I tried it, I instantly became a believer in what the technology could do. What I thought was impossible suddenly became the "what if's" and "what could be's". I had so many ideas and thoughts rushing into my head that it essentially revitalized my love for gaming. It really felt like I was being reintroduced to gaming again.

I never knew how bored I was with console gaming until I tried VR. There was an itch that I never knew I had, that suddenly got scratched. It made me realize that console gaming was a lot of the same, sometimes with a stronger iteration each generation but the way you would interact with them was always the same or similar. VR was new, it was fresh, it was different and I loved it. I'm currently a proud owner of an Oculus Rift CV1 and I will continue to invest in VR as I move forward.

VR has grown significantly over the years since the days of the old Oculus DK1 and Vive development kits. We now have higher resolution headsets with accessible controls. We have the Oculus Rift S, the HTC Vive Cosmos, the Valve Index and Windows Mixed Reality Headsets to name a few off the top of my head.

Despite VR being around for decades, we've already reached a point where VR is getting into the hands of the masses. There are a lot of great titles out there like Farpoint, SUPER HOT, Beat Saber, Sairento, Astro Bot, RAW DATA, Blade & Sorcery, Lone Echo, Echo Arena, MOSS, VRChat, Rec Room, and Pavlov to name a few.

Now while VR was not a massive success as we would have liked, given that its hard to market a VR headset, it's still a huge step forward. We still have a ways to go in terms of growth and technology, but what we have now is already pretty great in my opinion.

What kind of game play mechanics would Mirrors Edge VR have?

Honestly if I could combine 3 currently released VR titles into one game, they would be Climbey, Sprint Vector, and To The Top.

[Climbey]

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

[Sprint Vector]

ab55393a87b6e19a6f9e7832af88e1945f90abea.gif

tumblr_osxjxn5OWF1si4jeeo1_500.gif

[To The Top]

For those wondering just how beautiful the world of Mirror's Edge is, I have two threads here filled with screenshots. I put a lot of love and care into the screenshots.

The environments are really a sight to behold that invoke a feeling of want. I want to be there, and what better way to do that? Virtual Reality.

www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge. (Warning: Image Heavy)

UPDATE: More screenshots from the first game added! I was a big fan of the original Mirror's Edge. I would play it every now and then throughout the years and the beauty of the game never ceased to amaze me. The sense of exploration, wonder and parkour elements is what made Mirror's Edge an...
www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge #2 (Image Heavy)

For those that missed my first thread, you can find it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-beautiful-world-of-mirrors-edge-warning-image-heavy.70660/ With the year 2020 fast approaching, I've decided to start yet another playthrough of one of my favorite games, Mirror's Edge. This is...

ME1 is one of my favourite games, I'm right there with you in wanting this in VR. Lost count the amount of times I and others have brought this up on Reddit.... I think I've given up now. Pretty please Dice?

EA don't give a shit about VR
Respawn left them then?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It would be interesting, that's for sure. The closest I've come to playing something like it in VR is Sairento's tutorial section, which introduces you to double jumping and wall running and crouch-sliding, while above a pit of nothingness. It's surreal and a little uncomfortable.

I don't know how well I'd handle Mirror's Edge, or the other parkour-style games listed above. I've also never gotten motion sickness in VR, just been thrown a little with regards to large amounts of movement.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Pretty much this. I got a bit sick from Subnautica VR let alone drop kicking parkour moves
The difference is that Subnautica doesn't use a physical cause-and-effect for movement where you perform physical actions that then move you in-game, like the arm swinging in Sprint Vector. VR games that include parkour need to include systems like this, which in turn massively reduces motion sickness issues.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
OP, have you tried the latest update for Rec Room? They've basically done the prototype for something like this:

It's actually pretty decent.

Oh wow, that's really cool of the Rec Room devs to do that. They've been making some really cool mini-games.

Honestly, I'm tempted to make a Rec Room account now but seriously though, this shows that Parkour can be done in VR.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Blade and Sorcery and Boneworks also show off how parkour can be physics based which gets really interesting.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Blade and Sorcery and Boneworks also show off how parkour can be physics based which gets really interesting.

Yeah, which is why I'm very excited for Boneworks. I've always supported Physics in VR games. It's hard to do, but once implemented it really makes VR games so much better. It literally gives immersion, steroids.

With that said a lot of VR games unfortunately use floating VR hands too. This for me breaks the goal of VR headsets, which is, immersion.

So I support games like Lone Echo, Boneworks, Until You Fall, VRChat, Ancient Amuletor, Farpoint and etc that go the extra mile and implement a VR body, arms, and hands.

However, Lone Echo/Echo Arena still remains king when it comes to how your hands interact with the environments. I wish more games could replicate this.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I played it on [recreational narcotic] and my brain filled in all of my field of view, even though I was just staring at the monitor. Recommended.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I know some people have experienced super well tracked VR like the Index or Vive and know they suffer from VR induced motion sickness, so I'm not talking about those people, but... I can't help but suspect that some of the more intense reactions in this thread are from people who have never actually used a high quality VR headset. I've played all of the games in OP's post and never experienced even a stitch of VR sickness from them in either my Vive or Index.

To OP: It'd be cool, but I'm not sure we'll ever see a new Mirror's Edge game again, let alone one in VR. The reactions in this thread alone exemplify the type of kneejerk response a lot of people would have about a Mirror's Edge VR game, and it would be sure to be inundated with tons of memery that would sink that ship before it even left drydock.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy it day one. It'd be no worse than playing Sprint Vector or Windlands, and I don't feel sick playing either of those. The vertigo would be there, though, and that's what's so amazing about it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EA takes their sweet time to anything untested or not mainstream.

They feel so rich (or bogged down by top-down decision making) that VR products from EA will come 5 years after VR is mainstream. Maybe not even then.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
This is a great idea. God, I love Mirror's Edge. I hope some of the good people who I know are at EA can try and bring this dream into form one day.

Unfortunately corporate EA is just a shitty microtransation excuse factory these days and will probably never greenlight it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This is a great idea. God, I love Mirror's Edge. I hope some of the good people who I know are at EA can try and bring this dream into form one day.

Unfortunately corporate EA is just a shitty microtransation excuse factory these days and will probably never greenlight it.

I was gonna reply to this thread, but oh well. :)

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
smfh.

I love Mirror's Edge, the series means the world to me and I can still jump in both games to this day and it's such an amazing experience for me each and every time. It's my go to when I'm stressed.

so easy

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
smfh.

I love Mirror's Edge, the series means the world to me and I can still jump in both games to this day and it's such an amazing experience for me each and every time. It's my go to when I'm stressed.

so easy

Yeah, I deal with a lot of work related stress myself. I find VR to be a great way to get rid of the stress, with games like Blade & Sorcery where you can take out your frustrations on physics based enemies. :P

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
after catalyst, i dont know if there is much interest in mirrors edge at all honestly. But would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This.

OP had to be joking.
Not at all. Not everyone gets sick from VR, and using physical movement to get you around also is different compared to be propelled by a control pad in different directions.

May not be something you can do, but I'd love to play Mirror's Edge in VR and enjoy climbing / flying / etc. in VR (even jet boosting across chasms in No Man's Sky is pretty dang fast).

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Based on the responses to this thread you'd think Big Ipecac would be in danger of going out of business due to the existence of games like Climbey.

Mirror's Edge VR is basically a dream game for me (and OP clearly).

I just think it might be hard to justify greenlighting what would be a potentially costly product that lots of people would be predisposed to clown on, and never even give a chance. That's not EA's fault though, so people shouldn't be blaming them for that.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Perfectly fine with the wall running and flipping in Sairento as well. I'd be super excited for a new Mirror's Edge VR game.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Knew you two would pop in here. Apparently they aren't aware of the Mirror's Edge theme magic that happened last month (or was it July??)

OT: As much as I love Mirror's Edge...and how little I've used VR, I immediately thought "Motion sickness: The Game" when I read the title. I could be completely wrong though

I mean we have faster paced games like Sairento above, and it's a massive seller.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
This.

OP had to be joking.

;)

Perfectly fine with the wall running and flipping in Sairento as well. I'd be super excited for a new Mirror's Edge VR game.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I mean we have faster paced games like Sairento above, and it's a massive seller.

Ah yes, Sairento is also a VR game I should have mentioned. It has wall-running and sliding mechanics.

I think its pretty cool how you can Slide just by crouching a bit IRL. I think that would work pretty great in Mirror's Edge VR, it would give you the feeling of actually sliding under a gate, or a bar or something while your running away from the PK's.

Knew you two would pop in here. Apparently they aren't aware of the Mirror's Edge theme magic that happened last month (or was it July??)

OT: As much as I love Mirror's Edge...and how little I've used VR, I immediately thought "Motion sickness: The Game" when I read the title. I could be completely wrong though

You're not wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. :)

It would need some good comfort options that's for sure. I understand that VR isn't for everyone, and people have their own preferences when gaming in VR.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Based on the responses to this thread you'd think Big Ipecac would be in danger of going out of business due to the existence of games like Climbey.

Mirror's Edge VR is basically a dream game for me (and OP clearly).

I just think it might be hard to justify greenlighting what would be a potentially costly product that lots of people would be predisposed to clown on, and never even give a chance. That's not EA's fault though, so people shouldn't be blaming them for that.
Yeah, I can quite easily confirm that almost everyone in this thread mentioning sickness hasn't used VR before. I even recognize an anti-VR troll actually.