• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 23, 2019
As someone who lived in El Paso, TX for almost 3 years, this is actually pretty common and makes me wish I understood Spanish.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It happens all the time and not only between Spanish and English. I live in a bi-lingual country and it's an everyday thing.

OP
OP
Thorakai

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any examples of it being done the right way? So as a non native speaker we can contrast.

I want to avoid saying the term the "right way", but some folks cited Life is Strange 2, Miles Morales, and Grim Fandango as examples where it resonated with them and/or had Spanish-speaker input in the process. I threadmarked a post with some videos that show off the diversity in Spanglish some more.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah lots of Hispanic folks do speak "spanglish" although I personally don't ( I'm mexican).It doesn't bother me much, but I do think it gets a bit overplayed.

Tbf I think it's getting worse. I see it in my nieces that are quadrlingual (one of them pentalingual), and English words always insert themselves on the other languages. More than ever now with social media.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I want to avoid saying the term the "right way", but some folks cited Life is Strange 2, Miles Morales, and Grim Fandango as examples where it resonated with them and/or had Spanish-speaker input in the process. I threadmarked a post with some videos that show off the diversity in Spanglish some more.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out but even after only listening to the NEO clips you posted, I know what you mean when it's bad.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf I think it's getting worse. I see it in my nieces that are quadrlingual (one of them pentalingual), and English words always insert themselves on the other languages. More than ever now with social media.
Generally speaking. English is too universal amongst the other languages I feel. I'm tri-lingual and I've come to learn how to use borrowed English words when speaking French, because that's what they do(at least the group of friends where I speak French).
By contrast I end up using French words when I'm speaking English but that's ONLY when I'm speaking to myself out loud. I'm way too conscious of my French to not do it randomly compared to my Spanish which is my first language so I genuinely never think about it, so it happens if I'm comfortable enough with whoever I'm speaking to.

My daughter is also part Greek and my wife is hellbent on her being fluent in it, so this whole thing is probably gonna be even more present for her as I'm also having her learn French and Spanish along with English right now.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking. English is too universal amongst the other languages I feel. I'm tri-lingual and I've come to learn how to use borrowed English words when speaking French, because that's what they do(at least the group of friends where I speak French).
By contrast I end up using French words when I'm speaking English but that's ONLY when I'm speaking to myself out loud. I'm way too conscious of my French to not do it randomly compared to my Spanish which is my first language so I genuinely never think about it, so it happens if I'm comfortable enough with whoever I'm speaking to.

My daughter is also part Greek and my wife is hellbent on her being fluent in it, so this whole thing is probably gonna be even more present for her as I'm also having her learn French and Spanish along with English right now.

The more languages the better I say. It's really enriching.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna disagree with this one. My friends and I sprinkle a *ton* of English words when speaking in Spanish, or Spanish words when speaking in English. It's absolutely a thing.

My family in the states goes as far as saying something is "ten pesos" when they mean ten dollars, which makes zero sense but it's the way they speak.

I'm not familiar with the specific examples you listed, and I'm sure there's ways to get this wrong. I guess it's a fine line between authentic and awkward with these things, because sometimes people authentically fall into awkward speaking patterns.

I also want to take this opportunity to chime in as someone who's actually from LATAM: "latinx" is a dumb word, I don't get why people are still trying to make it stick. I understand that Spanish being a gendered language is awkward for gringos, but at some point you just have to accept that it's a core part of the language and these attempts to whitewash it into a gender-neutral language are just terrible. Accept that genders in this context are fucking meaningless. Synonyms can have opposing genders - that's how little they mean. "La computadora" and "el ordenador" for example both mean "the computer". Nothing about a "computer" has any bearing about masculine and feminine in the sense that people who use "Latinx" are trying to avoid.
Some of you really need to stop speaking to NB people about how they should approach language regarding their own identities. There are people ITT who like the term and identify with it, stop telling them they are wrong.

Languages evolve all the time.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
My perspective on "Latinx": If LBGTTTIQ people of Latin American origin/ancestry want to use it to identify themselves, they are perfectly entitled to do so.

However, journalists and marketers from the Anglosphere should REALLY stop using it as a general catch-all term to refer to all Latin Americans.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you really need to stop speaking to NB people about how they should approach language regarding their own identities. There are people ITT who like the term and identify with it, stop telling them they are wrong.

Languages evolve all the time.
I had to Google for NB to figure out what you meant, and I apologize if I was treading into the realm of personal identity. I'll own my ignorance here: this isn't something I know how to talk about.

But it's also not what I meant, specifically. Like, if you refer to yourself as LatinX because you want to make a statement about your gender identity, I don't think anybody in the world should have the right to suggest that's a bad idea. It's a perfect usage scenario. I can see how my post can be read that way, which I apologize for, and is not what I meant.

But using LatinX to refer to us in a broader sense goes beyond personal gender identification, and seeks to make a statement about making the language itself gender-neutral. It suggests something is wrong with my language or something, and to make matters worse, it's legitimately unpronounceable in Spanish.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
My family does this a ton, but mostly with each other. I have never seen people outside of close friend/family units do it, but I can easily believe that they do.

I would argue that it is perfectly fine, but writers are too gratuitous.

I had to Google for NB to figure out what you meant, and I apologize if I was treading into the realm of personal identity. I'll own my ignorance here: this isn't something I know how to talk about.

But it's also not what I meant, specifically. Like, if you refer to yourself as LatinX because you want to make a statement about your gender identity, I don't think anybody in the world should have the right to suggest that's a bad idea. It's a perfect usage scenario. I can see how my post can be read that way, which I apologize for, and is not what I meant.

But using LatinX to refer to us in a broader sense goes beyond personal gender identification, and seeks to make a statement about making the language itself gender-neutral. It suggests something is wrong with my language or something, and to make matters worse, it's legitimately unpronounceable in Spanish.

In all fairness, a lot of languages are absolutely not able to properly give non-binary people a voice. Of the three languages I speak, English, Creole, and French, none of them have a good framework.

Haitian Creole manages to somehow do the best job by pure dint of not having good third-person pronouns. English is the most versatile if awkward, and French is pretty lol all around.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021
My perspective on "Latinx": If LBGTTTIQ people of Latin American origin/ancestry want to use it to identify themselves, they are perfectly entitled to do so.

However, journalists and marketers from the Anglosphere should REALLY stop using it as a general catch-all term to refer to all Latin Americans.
Pew research did a scientific poll where they found out only 3% of Latinos (yes THREE) identify with Latinx while 76% (!!!) have never heard of Latinx. And this is only with latinos in the US so i can only imagine how much lower it is in spanish speaking countries which I'd be amazed if they come close to 1%. I cannot understate how unpopular that term is with your average spanish speaking latinamerican, the reasons being many that have been discusses already. Let us figure this one out ourselves and, sure, if someone wants to call themselves latinx then by all means but know that if you use it to call on a large population you have the odds staked against you.

Oh and by the way: if you're a politician aspiring to get elected in the U.S. and want to cater (or pander) to latinos please, for the love of God, do not use "Latinx" unless you want a room full of eyerolls.

Source of said pewresearch that should be repeated and drilled into everyone's minds everytime Latinx is brought up in this site: here

OP
OP
Thorakai

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Pew research did a scientific poll where they found out only 3% of Latinos (yes THREE) identify with Latinx while 76% (!!!) have never heard of Latinx. And this is only with latinos in the US so i can only imagine how much lower it is in spanish speaking countries which I'd be amazed if they come close to 1%. I cannot understate how unpopular that term is with your average spanish speaking latinamerican, the reasons being many that have been discusses already. Let us figure this one out ourselves and, sure, if someone wants to call themselves latinx then by all means but know that if you use it to call on a large population you have the odds staked against you.

Oh and by the way: if you're a politician aspiring to get elected in the U.S. and want to cater (or pander) to latinos please, for the love of God, do not use "Latinx" unless you want a room full of eyerolls.

Source of said pewresearch that should be repeated and drilled into everyone's minds everytime Latinx is brought up in this site: here

The Pew research has some limitations. Chief among them is that the sample didn't include any meaningful segment (re: zero) of non-binary respondents, which would be the population that would theoretically be most accepting or receptive of a Latinx label. The study also didn't include any questions on attitudes towards non-binary identity or has any sort of control comparison with acceptance of, say, they/them pronouns. There isn't much there to disentangle to what extent non-adoption is due to an issue with term itself or level of exposure/acceptance respondents might have with non-binary identify itself.

The other thing is that estimates that I can find for transgender and/or non-binary identity (from what I can find—there seems to be little out there on exact prevalence) are low. Seems like there are estimates as low as 0.5% within the US for example, so a low number like 3% shouldn't be cause for dismissing it as a label outright since thats what it might come out to if latin decent NB come out in support of the term.

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My aunt does this, I think it's an ESL thing, because I know a couple of people that do this too, maybe it's like code switching.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Jackie in Cyberpunk is particularly egregious because if you play enough of the game (especially going to certain parts of its map) its clear CDPR worked with native Spanish speakers. They worked with native speakers of a bunch of languages -- there are characters whose dialogue is only in languages like Japanese, Russian, Korean, Spanish, and Hatian Creole if you're playing the game in English. I don't know to what extent those people or people from those cultures were involved in writing the dialogue, or if they just hired native speakers to do the lines they'd already written.

This is kind of odd considering like half the English language's vocabulary is borrowed from French. Though I guess technically a lot of it is Old French.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
I agree with OP more research is needed when designing such characters. To me, it really depends on context:
  • Are they talking to people not fluent in their language?
  • Is it a professional setting?
  • Are they talking to a friend or family? What is their family dynamic?
  • Is it someone under a lot of stress/exhaustion/anger?
  • Is it a greeting, a threat or just a filler word?
I work in game-dev and usually the designers will just ask their coworkers or friends to help design characters with different background than their own.
By using a sample of 1 or 2, results might be stereotypical, extremely skewed and obviously don't represent the whole population. I know that if you ask me to design a French hero or villain, they'll have an unnatural love for buttered baguettes and French insults. Might offend some people but I really think there's not enough baguette-wielding heroes.

Jun 24, 2021
The PEW research has some limitations. Chief among them is that the sample didn't include any meaningful segment (re: zero) of non-binary respondents, which would be the population that would theoretically be most accepting or receptive of a Latinx label. The study also didn't include any questions on attitudes towards non-binary identity or has any sort of control comparison with acceptance of, say, they/them pronouns. There isn't much there to disentangle to what extent non-adoption is due to an issue with term itself or level of exposure/acceptance respondents might have with non-binary identify itself.

The other thing is that estimates that I can find for transgender and/or non-binary identity (from what I can find—there seems to be little out there on exact prevalence) are low. Seems like there are estimates as low as 0.5% within the US for example, so a low number like 3% shouldn't be cause for dismissing it as a label outright since thats what it might come out to if latin decent NB come out in support of the term.
Like I said, let us figure this one out. I am not saying there shouldn't be a term. I am saying that Latinx not only does not work outside of a tiny, very online, mostly english speaking progressives but it will also never work because Latinx is incompatible with the spanish language. It kind of works when speaking english but not in spanish and this is its main issue and why it will never catch on.

When I say let us figure this one out I mean some spanish speaking progressives are trying to work with adding an "e" at the end like Latine which, unlike Latinx, would actually work within the confines of the rules of our language. Thats not to say its gonna be easy for them but at least latine has a chance of working, can be pronounced, and would fit with every other word: mexicane, colombiane, arquitecte, abogade could work while mexicanx, colombianx, arquitectx, and abogadx will NEVER EVER work.

They way spanish works is that everything has a gramatical gender (not necesarily a human gender). So for example all computers , walls, tables, windows, tvs, tshirts and chairs for example are female while floor, ceiling, refrigerator, socks, and pants to name a few are male. Like it or not spanish (and french, and german, and portuguese, and many others) are intrinsically gendered languages to their core and you cannot remove gramatical gender from them without inventing a whole new language. But not all group of people are by default used with an "o" at the end. Latinos goes with an "o" but if we say "Latin people" in spanish that is always female (gente latina).

The best bit of good news is that there is already a genderless term to refer to Latinos that works in English, is a word that already exists, and everyone has heard of and thats just "latinamerican" or "latin". Latino (or latina, or latinx) isn't even an english word so why use it when speaking english?

Sorry for my rambling. I knew if I gave this another hour I would be able to better edit this but I hope my feelings were properly conveyed.

Last edited:

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, not every Spanish/English speaker does it so no reason for games to make that assumption

OP
OP
Thorakai

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, let us figure this one out. I am not saying there shouldn't be a term. I am saying that Latinx not only does not work outside of a tiny, very online, mostly english speaking progressives but it will also never work because Latinx is incompatible with the spanish language. It kind of works when speaking english but not in spanish and this is its main issue and why it will never catch on.

When I say let us figure this one out I mean some spanish speaking progressives are trying to work with adding an "e" at the end like Latine which, unlike Latinx, would actually work within the confines of the rules of our language. Thats not to say its gonna be easy for them but at least latine has a chance of working, can be pronounced, and would fit with every other word: mexicane, colombiane, arquitecte, abogade could work while mexicanx, colombianx, arquitectx, and abogadx will NEVER EVER work.

They way spanish works is that everything has a gramatical gender (not necesarily a human gender). So for example all computers , walls, tables, windows, tvs, tshirts and chairs for example are female while floor, ceiling, refrigerator, socks, and pants to name a few are male. Like it or not spanish (and french, and german, and portuguese, and many others) are intrinsically gendered languages to their core and you cannot remove gramatical gender from them without inventing a whole new language. But not all group of people are by default used with an "o" at the end. Latinos goes with an "o" but if we say "Latin people" in spanish that is always female (gente latina).

The best bit of good news is that there is already a genderless term to refer to Latinos that works in English, is a word that already exists, and everyone has heard of and thats just "latinamerican" or "latin". Latino (or latina, or latinx) isn't even an english word so why use it when speaking english?

Sorry for my rambling. I knew if I gave this another hour I would be able to better edit this but I hope my feelings were properly conveyed.

No problem, you aren't rambling at all. I know there is a lot to unpack with Latinx. I didn't plan to jump into the Latinx discussion since its too big a topic to go along with the thread at hand, but I still felt need to interject around the limitations of the Pew study since I do see it cited by people a lot. The next time a thread on the topic comes up I'll share my stance.

Jun 24, 2021
No problem, you aren't rambling at all. I know there is a lot to unpack with Latinx. I didn't plan to jump into the Latinx discussion since its too big a topic to go along with the thread at hand, but I still felt need to interject around the limitations of the Pew study since I do see it cited by people a lot. The next time a thread on the topic comes up I'll share my stance.
Thanks for replying. I'll try to wrestle a "meet me in the middle" moment out of you. Can we agree we will both roll our eyes out of our sockets if we ever hear a democrat (because you'll never catch a republican alive saying it) trying to win a statewide election, a district in a battleground, or worse, a presidential candidate utter the word "latinx" in public? Can we agree that would be an unforced tactical error?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

All of this. You can't shoehorn into Spanish a word that is unpronounceable for Spanish speakers, period. It's really not going to happen. The vast majority of monolingual Spanish speakers can't even accurately pronounce stuff like Google, Netflix or Apple, so I'm 100% sure Latinx is not going to be an exception.

OP
OP
Thorakai

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for replying. I'll try to wrestle a "meet me in the middle" moment out of you. Can we agree we will both roll our eyes out of our sockets if we ever hear a democrat (because you'll never catch a republican alive saying it) trying to win a statewide election, a district in a battleground, or worse, a presidential candidate utter the word "latinx" in public? Can we agree that would be an unforced tactical error?

I'm not trying to be coy or shy away from my opinion on the topic to be upfront. If you make a new thread on topic I'll happy to respond and post my opinions, I just don't want to further derail my thread when I noted earlier I'd like to avoid intermingling this topic with the topic of code-switching. I'll just say that I included Latinx in the thread title because at least some people have indicated they use the label for themselves and I want to be inclusive, I learned from this thread to also learn how to use Latine and use that as well, and I do sympathize with concerns around imperialism that surround discussion on use and adoption of Latinx.

Jun 24, 2021
I'm not trying to be coy or shy away from my opinion on the topic to be upfront. If you make a new thread on topic I'll happy to respond and post my opinions, I just don't want to further derail my thread when I noted earlier I'd like to avoid intermingling this topic with the topic of code-switching. I'll just say that I included Latinx in the thread title because at least some people have indicated they use the label for themselves and I want to be inclusive, I learned from this thread to also learn how to use Latine and use that as well, and I do sympathize with concerns around imperialism that surround discussion on use and adoption of Latinx.
Fair enough.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the people I know that speak two languages (including me) do this pretty frequently. Never had an issue with it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
A lot of the people I know that speak two languages (including me) do this pretty frequently. Never had an issue with it.

Do you do it when speaking to someone you know doesn't speak anything but English?

The issue is the tendency to portray us Latin Americans as incapable of forming a sentence without splicing Spanish into it no matter who we're speaking with or the context.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Do you do it when speaking to someone you know doesn't speak anything but English?

The issue is the tendency to portray us Latin Americans as incapable of forming a sentence without splicing Spanish into it no matter who we're speaking with or the context.

Its just a habit sometimes, not something anyone really thinks about in the moment.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles

i do. You're so used to it that you don't realize it. And is not constantly the same word usage or language swap in sentences. Like sometimes it would be 50% English and Spanish to like 99% English with a Spanish word sprinkled here and there.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Its just a habit sometimes, not something anyone really thinks about in the moment.

Im not saying it's not something that can happen unconsciously.

It's just that it grinds my gears that it's always "Cabron", "Pendejo", "Abuelita" and "Joder" at the very end of a sentence in a way that feels "I'm Latino BTW" instead of actually portraying it as something subconscious or that is part of their personality or the classic spanglish conversations with your family that randomly switches from one to the other.

If I had to say a good example, that'd be Miles Morales in PS5 Spidey. There's always actual conversation being made in Spanish:

"Trajiste la leche?"
"Oh I'm on my way to get it"

Vs stuff like TLOU2 where it's like

"We're gonna kill that cabrón"
"Oh and then we're going to visit my abuelita"
"Follow that Pendejo"

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
The Pew research has some limitations. Chief among them is that the sample didn't include any meaningful segment (re: zero) of non-binary respondents, which would be the population that would theoretically be most accepting or receptive of a Latinx label. The study also didn't include any questions on attitudes towards non-binary identity or has any sort of control comparison with acceptance of, say, they/them pronouns. There isn't much there to disentangle to what extent non-adoption is due to an issue with term itself or level of exposure/acceptance respondents might have with non-binary identify itself.

The point being made is that Latinx should NEVER be used to refer to people from the various Spanish speaking countries and cultures for the various reasons already listed. It's an inclusive term for individuals that want to use it for themselves. It's not a label that should be used to refer to people outside that group.

If you don't understand the difference then we can go with a different word like "Mexican." If you look brown and you live in Southern Californian then you are "Mexican." My friend is originally from Guatemala and her entire family is from Guatemala. She absolutely hates being called "Mexican" and is always quick to correct people and let them know she is from Guatemala.

It would be as absurd as calling someone from Scotland an Australian.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Thank you. Everyone who's not an english speaker uses -e as for non binary pals. X is impossible to pronounce and fucks up text-to-speech. I don't know what's so hard to understand. Ella, él, elle vs Ella, él, ellx?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Everyone who's not an english speaker uses -e as for non binary pals. X is impossible to pronounce and fucks up text-to-speech. I don't know what's so hard to understand. Ella, él, elle vs Ella, él, ellx?
There are people ITT who speak the language who say they use Latinx for self identity, so no " Everyone who's not an english speaker uses -e as for non binary pals " is not true.

Again let's not try to tell others how to handle their identities please.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
people need to differentiate between the type of language switching games go for and just using english words in non english speaking countries. its two very different things. in the latter the english words are actually ingrained in the other language, the intent of using it makes sense for a native speaker and a native listener in the context of their conversation, there's no attempt to cross language barriers, the word might be foreign but its adjusted in the native conversation as a native significant equivalent.

kids using "cringe", "owned" or "random" while talking to themselves is not the same as a character in game saying "Hello friend can you help me? Oi amigo você pode me ajudar?", nobody fucking does that. multilingual people are not stupid and usually dont assume their listeners are stupid either, there's no logical reason to say the same thing two times in two different languages, i can see some people being so used to different languages that they mix words here and there, but unless they're used to mimicking parrots that repetition is still not natural for any human being

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
This always feels weird to me as well, but I have also seen Latin Americans using english words here and there where there's a clear spanish equivalent, so I can understand it as "something that might actually happen irl".

Context is key, too. I liked how it was used in LiS2 as a family bonding theme:
Life is Strange 2 had a fantastic use (or lack thereof) of this trope. Sean used it sparingly, mostly in the intimate space with his brother, as something passed down from his Mexican father. Then Daniel, the youngest one, never used a mix.
I also really liked how at a certain point of the game he got to have a full, normal conversation with people that clearly knew how to speak the language fluently.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of odd considering like half the English language's vocabulary is borrowed from French. Though I guess technically a lot of it is Old French.
I also thought it was odd but I wasn't really going to question my native speaking friends. I think the caveat, at least for the ones I've been told to use(like most simple being week-end) is you say it very French. I'm sure it's not actually part of the language more so accepted loan words spoken amongst the French, or at least their youth. Since I'm just learning to speak it, I'm not an authority.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

As you said, it's 3% but in the US

The biggest issue with both "Latinx" and the Spanglish topic is that latin america is such a diverse concept that any broad statement about how much acceptable it is or not will probably be wrong.

I've seen the x used in written text outside of white academy since years and years ago here in Chile (Todxs, Nosotrxs, etc). A lot of people hate it here, but then you need to start asking if they hate it because it's hard to use it in spoken spanish (a valid concern imo), or because it's gender neutral. The use of the "e" is starting to be used more broadly (Todes, Nosotres, etc.), and it gets a lot - and I mean A LOT - of pushback because it's a "profanity of language" and "we already have gender neutral, just use the o"

So when some people here say that the latinx it's just a white thing, I am baffled. Then it hits me, that's probably the case for Latino Americanos, as in, Latines that live in the US.

So that research shouldn't really be drilled into everyone's mind because that just alienates latines from the rest of the world because of an American thing.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
The whole discussion around the word "Latinx" always reminds me of this video:

It's rather curious how most of the people trying to push this term live in the USA. From my point of view, the biggest problem with the way this word is used is the huge influence USA has over the world. Give it some time and all the people from LATAM will be put in the same bag and referred to as "Latinx" and that sucks, because we are all vastly different when it comes to our cultures and languages. Hell, USA already imposed the term "Latino" on us and it's already impossible to change that. I don't think our way of speaking has to be bound to your linguistic approaches and your increasingly fixation on words.

Anyway, on topic. I have no problems with games including random Spanish words into character dialogue. It could be discussed it may sound unnatural, but what defines a natural way of communication anyway? I remember I used to visit a bar in Europe which was constantly frequented by people from LATAM. Although our conversations were held in Spanish, it was quite common to hear words such as "pendejo", "parcero", "obrigado" and I was using my local "weon" like if there was no tomorrow. We would constantly switch between a mix of English, Spanish and our local words, but we managed to understand each other just fine.

My point above is just a simple example of a particular situation; however, that's how languages work. They evolve and adapt to different situations with the final purpose of conveying a message. Games including characters using Spanish words is but a representation of how people speak and nothing else. It might be inaccurate sometimes, but it's never entirely incorrect.

God I wish I could visit that bar again.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Im not saying it's not something that can happen unconsciously.

It's just that it grinds my gears that it's always "Cabron", "Pendejo", "Abuelita" and "Joder" at the very end of a sentence in a way that feels "I'm Latino BTW" instead of actually portraying it as something subconscious or that is part of their personality or the classic spanglish conversations with your family that randomly switches from one to the other.

If I had to say a good example, that'd be Miles Morales in PS5 Spidey. There's always actual conversation being made in Spanish:

"Trajiste la leche?"
"Oh I'm on my way to get it"

Vs stuff like TLOU2 where it's like

"We're gonna kill that cabrón"
"Oh and then we're going to visit my abuelita"
"Follow that Pendejo"
Yeah this is my problem with it. Because of this it never sounds authentic or natural. It's never a full sentence or phrase. It's always a word at the end and that word is always cabron, pendejo, or some other generic shit. It's like they don't even try to spice it up. I've never heard someone in a game say something like "don't be a come mierda," "hijo de puta, or simple shit like "que tal" or "mira esto" or some kind of phrase or expression specific to where that person is from like "this guy lives at fucking "casa del carajo" (really far away). They never get creative with it. It's like it's the only words they know. A lot of people in this thread are saying they actually speak like Manny from TLOU2 and I'm having a hard time believing it. Generally speaking Spanglish or calling your grandparents abuelo and abuela is one thing, but do people really end their sentences with "cabron" and "pendejo" like these video game characters always do? No offense intended, in just very surprised.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
To be fair almost every entertainment media does this. I'm aware there's people who mix two languages when speaking, but if it doesn't sound natural, you've lost me.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
A lot of people in this thread are saying they actually speak like Manny from TLOU2 and I'm having a hard time believing it. Generally speaking Spanglish or calling your grandparents abuelo and abuela is one thing, but do people really end their sentences with "cabron" and "pendejo" like these video game characters always do? No offense intended, in just very surprised.
That's my confusion to some of the responses in this gaming discussion topic; some say "I like this because I talk like that/my friends and family talk like that" - which sure! I'm not gonna deny anyone that win - but many aren't bringing up examples of product/writing in which they feel a connection with the specific representation and my takeaway from the OP is that this is about perceived poor quality tokenism and how authentic Spanglish isn't coming from presumed white-majority creatives/leadership in AAA game industry designed firstly for a domestic audience that reflects as much.

I don't like settling for afterthought scraps, specifically when I feel like a game (or any piece of mainstream art coming out of such systems) has an Americana setting with the same models over and over as a token side character or filler NPCs. I dare a AAA production with an Americana setting to represent a wider range of Latin characters instead of one that's recognizable and palatable to the audiences that have always been catered to by the systems of entertainment media. I'm not saying that there aren't good examples or a trend towards progress (I hope Miles Morales is a great improvement over 2018 in representation of intergenerational Nuyoricans, between Miles and his mom! I haven't played it yet; I hope to feel seen by it!), but historically speaking I agree with OP's "Dear devs" as it applies to tokenism.

Speaking of NY, I look forward to see what Brass Lion Entertainment whips up in Corner Wolves, a game played from the perspective of Jacinte, a young Afro-Latina character, in mid-'90s Harlem.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It's great that you are taking the time to diversify your game cast by adding characters of Latin descent, but please I ask you to stop inserting random Spanish words into their largely English dialogue if you aren't going to put in the work to try and get it to sound natural. Code-switching (switching between languages within a conversation) and Spanglish are most definitely things that happen in real life, but getting this to sound right requires way more research and work than just having the character drop random instances of words like amigo, hola, cabron, or loco in a sentence. It sticks out like a sore thumb when its done wrong and it just contributes to an othering of the character.

If you are writing a piece of dialogue and you find yourself adding Spanish words, please stop and think about whether the situation the character finds themselves in is conducive to or necessitates some code-switching. Here are some good questions to ask yourself:
  • Is my character a first, second, or third-generation immigrant? If they are a first generation immigrant how long have they been in the country? The longer you've been in a new country the more assimilated you are, the less likely you are to see code-switching.
  • Who is my character talking to? Do they understand Spanish at all? If they don't understand Spanish, does it really make sense for my character to code-switch?
  • What situation is my character finding themselves in, is it a peaceful conversation at a coffee shop or is all hell breaking loose? The latter situation is a much more justifiable reason for someone to slip into speaking Spanish when in a panic than the former (as long as you've established that the character recently immigrated or has not had much time to assimilate, of course).
  • What subject matter is being discussed? Simple topics like how was your day are less likely to have much code-switching vs conversations that are more technical where it might be easier for the character to communicate in their native tongue.
  • What types of Spanish words is my character sprinkling into the conversation? Is it just basic words like hola and si? Or are they dropping idioms or phrases that flow better into a conversation vs their English translation/counterpart?
Above all, are there any native Spanish speakers on your team or external to your team that you are running this dialogue through? If you aren't involving someone with a lived-experience with code-switching to check your work, then its best to just stick to English only. There are other ways to communicate heritage if you think that is essential to the character.

I'm going to post some recent examples below that prompted me to make this thread—I would love it if others can highlight other examples of what to avoid or even good examples to work towards.

NEO: The World Ends With You
Motoi #1
Motoi #2
Motoi #3

Valorant
Reyna

RedFall
Remi #1
Remi #2

Cyberpunk 2077
Jackie

Edit: I'm editing to add a note that some posters have pointed out that Motoi's specific use of Spanish might be purposeful as a means to characterize them as a type of show-off. I'm holding off on condemning the character itself until full release of the game, but keeping the links as an example of the type of Spanglish that seem to dominate media.
Not sure if you played it and not sure if it's a better implementation, but in Miles Morales, Miles' mom was doing the opposite where she would mostly speak in Spanish when talking with him and sprinkle English words here and there iirc.