• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I feel like a lot of Facebook people, who don't get into online politics much, generally are okay with Barstool. They do have a few writers who are actually pretty good.

Unlike Deadspin, I have no reason to go to their home page or content directly.

My dad doesn't consume much Internet stuff but he loves the pizza reviews. That and PMT have done wonders for the Barstool brand.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Mass resignations. I wish them well. They should migrate all that talent to a new site. ResetSpin.

RedMageX

Banned
Aug 26, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
It may be a meme, but it's pretty accurate to how this all started. I'm not gonna shed tears for someone who decided to give a middle finger to their bosses.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
My counterpoint would be: if these sites were hemorrhaging money, and the history seems to indicate they are given they were all sold at literal fire sale prices to GHP by Univision, then how would it make sense to continue on a "nothing changes" path? Maybe there were better ideas and implementations and no doubt this new strategy is unlikely to work, but this weird idea that "why can't they just let them do what they want and how they know how to do it" doesn't make any sense if there was no path to profitability.

Univision paid $135m for Gawker/Gizmodo/etc (later turned into GMG) a few years ago after the Hulk Hogan lawsuit essentially bankrupted them (why Univision bought them is a mystery for the ages). They sold all the sites plus the onion and a few other things to GHP (Green Hill Partners, an equity firm) for well under $50m, possibly under $20m. Those kind of prices means the sites were in really bad shape, cash flow wise. There wasn't a single "gem" among them they could try to rescue.

I wonder if valuations of all these kind of media properties will continue to plummet, as people realize that there may not really be an effective way to run mid to larger sized journalist properties like this without essentially banking on a billionaire to view it as a charity project.

Ehh, just because the companies were overvalued doesn't mean they weren't making money. Deadspin by all reports is (probably now was) profitable.

The idea that market valuation = economic viability is bullshit, look at the beyond meat fiasco this week.

I don't doubt that this is in an attempt to make MORE money, but as usual its without having a clue of how that market works. Look at all this hubub for a fucking sports page, that should tell you about how passionate the audience is. You should be looking for ways to monetize it without alienating them. Like my point was, what's the use of buying a unique property only to make it as generic and as flavor of the month as other sites? We've been going in on Barstool but obviously they've found a unique (shitty) angle to make them stand out in the crowd, what's the use of a neutered deadspin that reads like yahoo sports?

I also am playing the worlds smallest violin for the private equity firm who now owns it and guaranteed has put an albatross of debt on top of these properties but now feels compelled to churn out a quick buck to earn their management fees

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
It may be a meme, but it's pretty accurate to how this all started. I'm not gonna shed tears for someone who decided to give a middle finger to their bosses.

I mean, just because your boss says to shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean you do it. You tell your boss they're an idiot and find a job that doesn't tell you to shoot yourself in the foot. And look what's happening.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean, just because your boss says to shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean you do it. You tell your boss they're an idiot and find a job that doesn't tell you to shoot yourself in the foot. And look what's happening.

I dunno, that guy seems like the sort of person who'd shoot himself in the foot just for the hell of it. See, for example, his post.

*extremely 'post on your main account' voice* yo twitter dipshit, why don't you aim the gun at your good foot

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
giphy.gif

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

It's not accurate. It's reductionist and juvenile but maybe shedding this strange "everyone is stupid but me" attitude is your first opportunity to grow into an adult.

RedMageX

Banned
Aug 26, 2019
No surprise someone who tags The Quartering proudly might not be smart enough to understand the things he's saying or analyzing. You're a shite red mage, tbh.

I get my news from multiple sources, Jeremy included, yes. I try and do my best to get sources with different viewpoints and opinions. When there's more than one side to a story, it would be a benefit to hear all sides and extrapolate what the truth is from somewhere in the middle.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get my news from multiple sources, Jeremy included, yes. I try and do my best to get sources with different viewpoints and opinions. When there's more than one side to a story, it would be a benefit to hear all sides and extrapolate what the truth is from somewhere in the middle.
👢👢👢👢👢👢 😛😛😛😛😛

Oct 25, 2017

Except the part where you openly sob about things leaning left and expose your true intentions quite easily and openly. Nobody's fooled except you. I might recommend hanging up the sword before you fall on it.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Imagine being this big of a mark for a corporation.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise someone who tags The Quartering proudly might not be smart enough to understand the things he's saying or analyzing. You're a shite red mage, tbh.
They just need both sides to a story which is why they also follow Vic Mignogna, Boogie, AlphaOmegaSin and TheQuartering.

It's really about ethics in gaming news.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yes we aren't allowed to disagree at all here

Except for all the times I've seen people disagree and post actual reasoned arguments and no one made terrible memes and self promotion the center of their argument

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
It may be a meme, but it's pretty accurate to how this all started.

9tNcK1Y.png

ab9LZQN.png

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Mods: follow the simple rules, don't do the thing
Troll: ignores and does the thing
Mods: you're banned
Troll: *pretends to be prosecuted and crucified*

Holy fuck at quoting your own cringe ass tweet.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
My shit-tier meme and enlightened centrism are not tolerated and when you get right down to it that is the actual authoritarian intolerance.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The unionization of online media companies can only be a good thing. Best of luck to all those who resigned.

I miss the good old days where the alts and trolls actually tried to be ambiguous. Now they basically shoot up a flare asking for a ban.
It's a dying art, they used to take weeks to integrate and be more subtle.

Oct 27, 2017

No one engaged with his original tweet about getting banned, so he had to glom onto some other miserable turd's ban!

EDIT: I won't boost anymore of his boring solo-crying, but these are just too sad not to share.