• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why you guys keep engaging with efr. Dude is clearly trying to troll everyone here and divert the thread off topic for lulz or whatever.

This whole thing sucks. Magary could go anywhere and work but I think he just left one of his jobs so I would imagine he wants to find something before quitting. Roth is another guy that I'm surprised hasn't left (though certainly happy I still get to read his stuff.)

Really if I was Simmons I would snatch up all these guys and spin off a Ringer-adjacent site and let these people do video, podcast and write. Doubt he'd do that because they torch him as well but yeah.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: ableist slur
Not really, sports can get political, but unless the Superbowl MVP becomes president it's not really straight politics
The entire point isn't that sports are inherently political, it's that rich assholes only have a problem with sports becoming a political cudgel when it's used against them or things they like. Notice none of those trust fund babies or their mongoloids sycophants in their MAGA hats have any problem teeing off on the NBA over the China stuff.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really if I was Simmons I would snatch up all these guys and spin off a Ringer-adjacent site and let these people do video, podcast and write. Doubt he'd do that because they torch him as well but yeah.

This is where I disagree. None of these individuals do anything other than blog. They don't do any of the above items which Simmons would want.

Also, they have shown a penchant for fighting hard against authority which is a tough pill to swallow as a hire when you need to get big ad deals to support a big team. Plus he already has the team doing similar stuff. What is he actually hiring?

I can't imagine Ringer touches anyone here.
Most likely outcome is some of them try and start their own website or maybe a few go to the daily beast.

There aren't many sportswriting gigs that will pay what deadspin did and didn't require you focus on just one sport as a beat writer. Deadspin was one of the last surviving ones doing what they do.

I respect their integrity on quitting, but I have a feeling we will not be seeing the whole team end up getting jobs quick unless they try and do it themselves. Writing on the internet and making money isn't easy

A bit more, none of these writers have a network or special access like Jason which gives you a leg up when searching for a new job. They just blog and complain. A lot of them out there no matter how skilled.

Oct 27, 2017
This is where I disagree. None of these individuals do anything other than blog. They don't do any of the above items which Simmons would want.

Also, they have shown a penchant for fighting hard against authority which is a tough pill to swallow as a hire when you need to get big ad deals to support a big team. Plus he already has the team doing similar stuff. What is he actually hiring?

I can't imagine Ringer touches anyone here.
Most likely outcome is some of them try and start their own website or maybe a few go to the daily beast.

There aren't many sportswriting gigs that will pay what deadspin did and didn't require you focus on just one sport as a beat writer. Deadspin was one of the last surviving ones doing what they do.

I respect their integrity on quitting, but I have a feeling we will not be seeing the whole team end up getting jobs quick unless they try and do it themselves. Writing on the internet and making money isn't easy

A bit more, none of these writers have a network or special access like Jason which gives you a leg up when searching for a new job. They just blog and complain. A lot of them out there no matter how skilled.

There is no evidence that anyone in the GMG Union has ever fought against ads overall. They were doing just fine with ads and branded content prior to all the Great Hills fuckery.

Also, the Deadspin staff did video and audio content alongside written editorial.

And Diana Moskovitz is a prime example of someone doing more than "just blog and complain".

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Did you read Deadspin? They're bloggers. Simmons likes long-form stuff, I don't really see a fit.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did you read Deadspin? They're bloggers. Simmons likes long-form stuff, I don't really see a fit.
Did I even read it? Please. Have my own Kinja handle and everything lol.

But that's why I'm saying he would spin it off and not integrate it with Ringer as it is

But the Deadcast with Magary and Roth is as good of a show as anything they've got in their network, and that's where the money is coming in from.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, definitely can't see that happening. Their coverage of him is already one of the biggest strikes, but then on top of that he's already busy dealing with the Ringer's newly formed union.

1243226861633605193.gif

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely can't see that happening. Their coverage of him is already one of the biggest strikes, but then on top of that he's already busy dealing with the Ringer's newly formed union.

1243226861633605193.gif

Yep. There's not much out there for them to fall back on. They called out most of the establishment and there aren't many little guys left.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Massive respect to those who left. That takes a lot of guts and I applaud them for sticking up for themselves.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
One of the issues with unions is that in order for them to work the owners have to actually care if the company goes out of business or not.

With these strip mining equity firms, they don't care one way or the other. It is fucking disgusting.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following since the Leitch days so this one hurts to see happen but I understand. I'll be keeping tabs on the folks that have left and perhaps a new home will spring up.

Nov 18, 2017
Deadspin is a sports site right? The same site that outed a GM, dox people they dont like, makes up sex rumors of ESPN personnel as news, and post nudes of people who have them leaked to them, right?

A sports site is told to stick to sports, and they all quit? I don't understand why some of y'all are on their side? They try to be TMZ and they arent.

Jason Schrier is great, but he doesn't work for Deadspin. He works for 1 of the 20 sister sites that all keep failing and being repurchased and sold off over and over.
^^^^^^

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
As someone who works for the largest broadcast media company in the country........ mad props to these people. I feel you.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Deadspin is a sports site right? The same site that outed a GM, dox people they dont like, makes up sex rumors of ESPN personnel as news, and post nudes of people who have them leaked to them, right?

A sports site is told to stick to sports, and they all quit? I don't understand why some of y'all are on their side? They try to be TMZ and they arent.

Jason Schrier is great, but he doesn't work for Deadspin. He works for 1 of the 20 sister sites that all keep failing and being repurchased and sold off over and over.

This was my understanding. I'm confused by people loving these writers up. Isn't Deadspin unethical trash? I'm all for unions and frankly I never read their work much at all, so is that reputation undeserved?

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Drew's gone.

I resigned from Deadspin this morning. That was a fun time you and me had there all those years, wasn't it? Let's do it again sometime.

And if you're shopping around for free agent bloggers and want to host Funbag-like things on YOUR site, I ain't hard to find.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
Drew's gone.

I resigned from Deadspin this morning. That was a fun time you and me had there all those years, wasn't it? Let's do it again sometime.

And if you're shopping around for free agent bloggers and want to host Funbag-like things on YOUR site, I ain't hard to find.

WOW , well that site is dead , hope they reorganize and get their own site going asap

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I only learnt through this that Deadspin was originally a sports blog. I don't think I've read anything sports-related on it before.