• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
I like a lot of Deadmau5's music and ive been to see him live and it was a good time but god damn for someone with all that money, fame and talent he is such an unimaginable pissbaby. He can't even apologise properly. Here Joel, let me do it for you:

"I understand that calling someone a derogatory term for homosexual is offensive and should not be in my vocabulary, nor should it be tossed out as easy as i did. To the LGBTQ+ community i would say this: I honestly don't harbour negative feelings towards you and i can only apologise for this incredibly poor choice of words spoken out of anger and frustration. It's not an excuse to say it was down to getting angry and frustrated from playing a videogame. There are people who have heard those words much, much more often than they ever should have to and i'm so sorry that you have now heard it from me. Bla bla bla i shall work to better myself bla bla bla here's a donation to the Trevor project bla bla" there you go, job done.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

He appears to now release an apology for the previous statement and hold himself responsible for the ban.

Just read this update too. I wish he started with this attitude instead of the stupid rant, he went from "heated gamer moment" to another "heated moment". While it's good that he managed to do better apology, he already did damage to it with his prior rant and getting defensive. Live and learn hopefully.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadmaus seems to be nose diving his career every year, wonder why the guys so angry and wreckless all the time

Dec 24, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Homophobia; Account in Junior Phase
Oh no, he said a bad word while he was angry. Obviously he shouldn't have said it, but completely banning him over it is an excessive move by Twitch.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, he said a bad word while he was angry. Obviously he shouldn't have said it, but completely banning him over it is an excessive move by Twitch.
First post and everything.

giphy.gif

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I used 'cock-sucking fag' to insult an individual" and "I didn't mean to imply that being gay was bad in general" are pretty much mutually exclusive. Anyone with half a brain should realise that. The only way it can be an insult in the first place is if you think there's something inherently negative about it. Otherwise, it'd be the equivalent of using other perfectly neutral words like "hopeful employee" or "food-eating pedestrian" as insults. The reason nobody does that is because nobody thinks that those words have negative connotations. Now, it's possible that a person has divorced the word so much from its meaning that they use it as an empty swearword without realising the implications but then they should at least be able to understand those implications in retrospect, not double down.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
User Warned: Use of the word "retarded" is not allowed on ResetEra
Yikes dude.

R*tard is also a slur.
My brother is severely "retarded" or both mentally and physically disabled. And i've never seen it as a slur. Ive heard it used in so many ways that unless I hear it actually be used towards a disabled person it doesnt bother me or anyone else in my family, really. Less so now but it is a legitimate word you can use in regards to a person or a condition, it just matters on the context its being used in.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My brother is severely "retarded" or both mentally and physically disabled. And i've never seen it as a slur. Ive heard it used in so many ways that unless I hear it actually be used towards a disabled person it doesnt bother me or anyone else in my family, really. Less so now but it is a legitimate word you can use in regards to a person or a condition, it just matters on the context its being used in.
No, please don't use it just because it doesn't offend you or your family personally. There's no need for the word, whatever you want to say you can say without it. It hurts people, no matter who it's aimed at.

Nov 1, 2017
Still hear it all the time in the LGBTQ community and it boggles my mind.

A lot of LGBTQ+ people reclaim offensive words like say the one that deadmau5 used. If you can reclaim something and it no longer holds any power over you it's pretty useful for getting through life. Those words cant hurt me anymore. Really it's all about context. When joking around with friends they can call me every name under the sun cause i know it doesn't come from a place of hate, but if a stranger was to come up to me and spew derogatory words at me it would be a whole different matter. Now you could argue that it wasn't deadmau5's intent to cause offence to LGBTQ+ people, that it was just really poor choice of words, but honestly i dont think that excuse can ever really wash with straight people. It's well known the power those words have and it's the first choice for most people who do intend to cause what they would consider the most offence.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
User Banned (5 Days): Defending Ableist Language; Ignoring Mod Warning
No, please don't use it just because it doesn't offend you or your family personally. There's no need for the word, whatever you want to say you can say without it. It hurts people, no matter who it's aimed at.
Except my brother, doesnt hurt him and others that can use the word in a context where its appropriate. Like I said as long as your not calling a disabled person that word as an insult or way of putting them down, it doesnt bother me who says it. It just isnt, and it never will.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Still hear it all the time in the LGBTQ community and it boggles my mind.

I think it being used within the LGBTQ community is a little different. They are allowed to 'own' the word more than straight be people are. Hopefully doesn't mean those using it have internalized homophobia, but they could.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
User banned (3 days): inappropriate joke
I mean I hate cigarettes as much as the next guy but come on man!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If a word has been used to beat down, harass, hurt, humiliate, dehumanize, and/or abuse a community, the members of that community are well within their right to do what they want with the word, whether that's reclaiming it or throwing it in the trash. As for everyone else: DON'T USE IT.

It's really that simple. Put in a modicum of effort to delete slurs from your vocabulary if you were ever crass enough to have used them.