• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Screenshot_20190213-111103.jpg

Screenshot_20190213-110954.jpg

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Because some of us, like myself, grew up using those words as insults. I would never consciously use them now to put down someone else because I know it's just a hateful word. But there have absolutely been times in the past 5-10 years where if I got really angry at something, my brain just starts dumping out words and sometimes those sneak in there. It's not like I stop and think of the best combination of bad words, shit just comes out.

So to me, when I see people jump all over Deadmau5, calling him a racist and bashing his music, I see it as an overreaction. Because I've done it and I know who I am and where I stand. People say really stupid things when their angry.
Yeah there's plenty of people who have slurs ingrained in their vocabulary for one reason or another, or simply using the word "gay" or "homo" to describe something negative (or positive actually, it has happened in my language). And those slurs/words can be used even very casually, not just in anger. But people should then work towards dropping those words from their vocabulary, I really think we are way past the excuse of "I didn't know/realize" or "it wasn't ment to offend gay community". If Deadmaus or anyone else wants to defend themselves by saying that they didn't mean it in "homophobic way", be my guest. But don't get angry when called out on it, the fuck up is on you and you should admit to it. Like Jonah Hill who used it towards a paparazzi who was harassing and insulting him. He apologized, he wanted especially young people to take him as an example of what not to do when they get angry. Because words have weight and meaning. He didn't rant about people taking it in the wrong way and blowing it out of proportion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because some of us, like myself, grew up using those words as insults. I would never consciously use them now to put down someone else because I know it's just a hateful word. But there have absolutely been times in the past 5-10 years where if I got really angry at something, my brain just starts dumping out words and sometimes those sneak in there. It's not like I stop and think of the best combination of bad words, shit just comes out.

So to me, when I see people jump all over Deadmau5, calling him a racist and bashing his music, I see it as an overreaction. Because I've done it and I know who I am and where I stand. People say really stupid things when their angry.
To me, as a bi guy when I see someone drop slurs and not apologize for them they're basically waving red flags in front of their face saying they're homophobic.

Sure it's the same for racial/ethnic minorities as well.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this was a temp ban or not. If deadmau5 had apologized and shown some understanding of why people don't like that word, I think a short temp ban would've been fine.

Doubling down tells me he's not going to ever figure it out. So does the summary of past behavior from that EDM article.

I mean, sure, I get it. Things that used to be widespread generic insults are no longer so because now we have empathy for the groups that were the original targets for derision. Sometimes your memory goes back to it. We all make mistakes.

But you have to actually acknowledge and fix the mistake if you want credit for not being a horrible human being. You know what else people do when they're angry? They break shit. They yell at people. Ask me, I've done it plenty of times before. Me being angry or generally a good person otherwise doesn't excuse the bad shit I've done.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yes. Some people do say really stupid shit when they're angry.

Which does not mean that being angry is in any way a pass to say stupid shit.

If you start throwing out racist shit when you're mad, then you're a racist, plain and simple. Your emotional state doesn't suddenly make you not a racist. If someone doesn't want to be called a racist, then they shouldn't say racist shit at all. If they can't help it, then that either means that the racism is so deeply ingrained in them that it's a core part of who they are, whether they like it or not, or that they aren't really trying to change.

If you yourself are throwing out these words when you get upset, then it is fully on you to cut that shit out. No one is owed a pass to be a bigot for any reason, my god.

If I was dropping N and F bombs every time I got angry, then I would agree with you. I would consider myself a racist and a homophobic. If I said it 5 times over the last 10 years, I would consider that a fuckup where my brain was looking for something hateful and found this word in the dark corner of my brain and it just flowed out without a heads up.

As for Deadmau5. He streams a lot...A LOT. I don't know if he still does it but he would stream every day for hours while he was making music. Does he have a history of saying homophobic slurs like this? I have no idea.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought this person would be some random gamer streamer on Twitch. had no idea he was a popular music artist

shows how much I know about current-day music

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does he even make music anymore? He seems like a has-been.
Yeah. While he hasn't put out a full length album since 2016, he released an album featuring orchestrated versions of his tracks, and has mostly been releasing the mau5ville EPs which feature some popular singles like Drama Free and Monophobia (which was hyped up because it was another Rob Swire collaboration like Ghosts n Stuff). He also made the score for Polar, which was shit, but I guess the music was okay.

It frustrates the fuck out of me that Joel is such a shithead because he puts out a lot of quality productions, but I don't wanna support him. His lackadaisical attitude to his work makes it all the easier to pretend that he just sees music as a means to an end.

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from making music for the universally trashed "Polar" he mainly streams himself playing PUBG, making virtual cubes, and chainsmoking all day long. I'm not surprised by his "heated gaming moment" reaction or apology. He's always been known to be a complete douchenozzle and no amount of people telling me he has social anxiety excuses such behavior.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
The "heated gaming moment" excuse is hilariously stupid. Why the fuck are those words that readily in the chamber when you get angry? You can curse all you want, but slurs are completely unacceptable.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If I was dropping N and F bombs every time I got angry, then I would agree with you. I would consider myself a racist and a homophobic. If I said it 5 times over the last 10 years, I would consider that a fuckup where my brain was looking for something hateful and found this word in the dark corner of my brain and it just flowed out without a heads up.

As for Deadmau5. He streams a lot...A LOT. I don't know if he still does it but he would stream every day for hours while he was making music. Does he have a history of saying homophobic slurs like this? I have no idea.
Could check the OP or his apology i dunno

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

So you have zero idea on the context of this, but you're also claiming that people are overreacting to it?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure if he does under Deadmau5 but he has side projects. One is called Test Pilot I believe. He is still super talented. Just needs to watch what he says lol.

Honestly I think this would be much less of an issue if his apology was better. Everyone blurts shit out. I know I'm guilty of it. I grew up hurling those insults at my friends, people I didn't like, and people online. Sometimes in the moment you just forget and revert back.

Just say that is not who you are, deeply sorry, etc. Not this "WELL ACTUALLY FUCK YOU GUYS" response

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure if he does under Deadmau5 but he has side projects. One is called Test Pilot I believe. He is still super talented. Just needs to watch what he says lol.

Honestly I think this would be much less of an issue if his apology was better. Everyone blurts shit out. I know I'm guilty of it. I grew up hurling those insults at my friends, people I didn't like, and people online. Sometimes in the moment you just forget and revert back.

Just say that is not who you are, deeply sorry, etc. Not this "WELL ACTUALLY FUCK YOU GUYS" response
Can we not do this "everyone blurts our slurs when they're angry" thing?

Because that's not true at all.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Exactly this, it is words that were at one point acceptable and at 38, he would've used them with friends etc, not using words and changing habits is tough but doable

That apology is fucking awful though

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Excusing homophobic slurs
Can we not do this "everyone blurts our slurs when they're angry" thing?

Because that's not true at all.
ok

#notallpeople

I've made his same mistake before but I was never caught doing it. Does that make me an awful person that deserves to be publicly shunned and chastised?

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
The ting is, that kinda language was more acceptable back then as well, wrong but it wouldn't be condemned rightfully as it is now, that shows you the kinda man Ryan Davis was.

It was certainly more common, sadly. The gulf in maturity between Ryan Davis in 2012 and all of these Twitch streamers is staggering.

I will say, I'm very impressed with Trihex's apology someone posted earlier in this thread. Seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, too.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This insincere shit right here, this common as fuck rehearsed line of apology is why I don't really give a shit if someone apologizes or not anymore. They have shown me who they are. Don't say it's not who you are, the words came out of your damn mouth. Show through actions and time that you really sincerely want to change. And if you are influencer, streamer, whatever try to put some effort into positively influencing your own community and and don't stand for that shit in your own chats and speak out against it.

See how long that lasts...

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
ok

#notallpeople

I've made his same mistake before but I was never caught doing it. Does that make me an awful person that deserves to be publicly shunned and chastised?
Dude, if you say a slur out in public, then yes you deserve to chastised.

How the hell do you get to a point where you think otherwise?

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
I am supposed to be working with him on a project in relation to esports. But he's been hella quite about it with his team for a while about it. Makes me wonder if he's planning to do stuff with it still.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this, it is words that were at one point acceptable and at 38, he would've used them with friends etc, not using words and changing habits is tough but doable
Using "f**" hasn't been "acceptable" since at least like the 90s.

Let's not do the thing where we pretend nobody gave a shit about slurs until 2015.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"I say it as an insult, but I don't mean to demean people"

Really?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Whenever I see someone defending this or whataboutisming, all I see is "But I like calling people n*gger/f*ggot and I want to keep doing it".