• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking that calling someone a f-word is 'harmless shit' and it is somehow 'tone policing double standard'.
Fuck that guy, good riddance.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant stand people getting upset by streamsniping once i learned they have the ability to delay their streams. DELAY THE STREAM THEN

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when Ryan did this on a Giant Bomb stream. His reaction in the moment and his statement about it were very good. This is like the opposite.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Yes straight dude, please tell me more about how homophobic slurs are "harmless shit." You know so much better than the people who have been harmed by the word or viciously attacked while people have screamed it at them. šŸ™ƒ

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Never cared for him and yet I'm still disappointed.

The excuse is fucking dumb too. The person just shot at the giant target you paint on your back and didn't deserve any harrassment.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
He's an actual idiot, but I can agree on the stream sniping shit. It comes with the territory yes, but my god it must be so annoying to deal with.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Remember a few months ago when people found insults and racist remarks/jokes you said Danny?

Give me a break. Tons of people say dumb stuff in their younger years. Even very progressive people like Austin Walker admits to saying bad shit as a teen. You mature, you grow up, you learn from it. That's how life works. It's different to being 38 and still doing it.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Its obviously wrong to use these words and i don't even know who dreadmau5 is but Twitch definitely isn't applying the same punishments to everyone.

Streamer > CinCinBear < used the Word multiple times in different languages and got banned for 30 days reduced to a laughable 3 days just a while back.
Not the first time btw!

The moment she was back she said it again and made fun over twitch and staff too etc
I think this was her latest "accident" but also couldn't because she is known to not care and use these words.
https://streamable.com/wvavz > Around the 30 Second Mark
Said Maricon which means the F-word but obviously comes with the excuse that it doesn't mean it that way etc

Trihex for example got banned 30 days reduced to 14 days back then while heavily apologizing etc.
She continues to use these words because she doesn't care and doesn't face any problems at all and she isn't the only one.
Streamers like Alinity used the N-Word and nothing happened.

These are Streamers with like 5k Subscribers which are depending on deal alone are over AT LEAST 10 000$ income and thats without donations etc.

Twitch has a problem with playing "favorite child" these days and someone needs to call them out for it.
Amazon or whoever finally needs to get a ToS going that applies to everyone.
I want them all banned.

Yeah they have a weird thing with banning, the whole idea of reduced punishment also irks me. Of those 3 streamers only Trihex made any effort to mature and improve himself and his stream.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
By Ryan May 4, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen, during tonight's Lantern Run, I made a terrible mistake with my language, one that I immediately recognized as hurtful, embarrassing, and just categorically inappropriate both personally and professionally. Giant Bomb has certainly been known to "work blue", but that kind of language simply has no place on Giant Bomb--and, frankly, in the world at large--not now, not ever. I was shocked myself when it came tumbling out, and instantly felt like the worst piece of shit in the world. Context is meaningless, because that word comes with too much of its own hurtful baggage to ever possibly justify.
I want to be crystal clear here: I'm saying this not because of some corporate mandate or some fear for my job. I'm saying this because it's important to me personally that I acknowledge the significance of what was said, and to own it. I feel miserable because that's not me, and it's horrifying to me to think that someone would take that awful outburst as some sort of implicit approval to use that word. That shit is just indefensible. As such, the archived version of the Final Lantern Run will be edited, though I wanted to make sure that this message got out there first, and that people know that this isn't a cover-up.
All I can ask for now is forgiveness for my gaffe. If you can't manage that, I understand, and hope that you can at least give me a chance to prove that I am better than what you saw of me in that deeply regrettable moment of frustration.

Here's how a great person once reacted to a similar situation.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing the use of hate speech and slurs
if he wanted to call someone a fucking asshat why didnt he do so? doubt people would have a problem with that

there are thousands of swear words you can insult someone and yet people always get caught using the same few ones. how odd

Because some of us, like myself, grew up using those words as insults. I would never consciously use them now to put down someone else because I know it's just a hateful word. But there have absolutely been times in the past 5-10 years where if I got really angry at something, my brain just starts dumping out words and sometimes those sneak in there. It's not like I stop and think of the best combination of bad words, shit just comes out.

So to me, when I see people jump all over Deadmau5, calling him a racist and bashing his music, I see it as an overreaction. Because I've done it and I know who I am and where I stand. People say really stupid things when their angry.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch actually banned him? I'm really surprised, they wouldn't even permaban a piece of shit who hit his girlfriend on stream. Not to mention people like Ninja saying slurs, DrDisrespect being racist as fuck, and the list goes on sadly. Hopefully this is the start of Twitch not being tolerant of the intolerant.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rod Breslau chimed in by stating that calling someone a "fucking cock-sucking stream sniper f*g" should not be ban-worthy given the "context and intent", and that Twitch has become a "battleground" for what can or cannot be said.

qqsfdsfdf1uksk.png

Source

From NYC no less, get the fuck outta here

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's a high chance that anyone who slips these words out when angry uses them in their go to insult kit, or it wouldn't just slip out.

I know words like this, the n-word, etc... are hateful, hurtful, and do incredible harm. So I never use them, even when seething with rage. Not once in my entire life have these types of words slipped out of my mouth.

These people wouldn't think the words were wrong if others weren't telling them they are.

Of course, we all have our pasts. It's possible that a person has grown past behaviors like these, and slips when angry could happen. If that truly were the case then they would be far more apologetic, and it would be apparent they understand the use of the word is so hurtful.

The fact is, many people don't understand/believe these words are as bad as people tell them, and the only reason they avoid them is so they don't get called out.
tumblr_oro03kwqWg1tj8ifio1_400.gif

Exactly!

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Because some of us, like myself, grew up using those words as insults. I would never consciously use them now to put down someone else because I know it's just a hateful word. But there have absolutely been times in the past 5-10 years where if I got really angry at something, my brain just starts dumping out words and sometimes those sneak in there. It's not like I stop and think of the best combination of bad words, shit just comes out.

So to me, when I see people jump all over Deadmau5, calling him a racist and bashing his music, I see it as an overreaction. Because I've done it and I know who I am and where I stand. People say really stupid things when their angry.
Even if using the word could be forgiveable, the "apology" that is basically "I don't need to defend myself obviously it was harmless" is not an apology.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Because some of us, like myself, grew up using those words as insults"

And there you go. The words aren't appearing out of thin air, that was the person you quoted point. And if you still find yourself using those slurs regardless how "heated" you get when so many other people can get through "heated" moments then I'm not really believing said person has grown up and they are showing me their true self. It's not a Herculean task to not use hurtful specific slurs.

Couple that with a non-apology and a defense of its "not that big of a deal, it's not who I am, you all should just forgive me and move on" that frequently follows this shit, yea, not buying nor do I have to buy it. If it's not you, start proving it.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
Good riddance. It's always a good test to see how people react to certain things when they're angry. No one "accidentally" blurts racial, or in this case, homophobic slurs when enraged if they don't normally have that kind of mindset in their normal daily lives.

Sadly, even though these outbursts of self exposures have been rampant in these few past years, most of the time nothing changes. Shitty people continue to spread their toxicity after they go with the usual "Heat of the moment, sorry, blah blah...".

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Good move on Twitch's part. Its not just something you say or are expected to when when you get angry.

Its not acceptable and if you find yourself using it or have been for a long time without really thinking about why, its time to confront that.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

Yes. Some people do say really stupid shit when they're angry.

Which does not mean that being angry is in any way a pass to say stupid shit.

If you start throwing out racist shit when you're mad, then you're a racist, plain and simple. Your emotional state doesn't suddenly make you not a racist. If someone doesn't want to be called a racist, then they shouldn't say racist shit at all. If they can't help it, then that either means that the racism is so deeply ingrained in them that it's a core part of who they are, whether they like it or not, or that they aren't really trying to change.

If you yourself are throwing out these words when you get upset, then it is fully on you to cut that shit out. No one is owed a pass to be a bigot for any reason, my god.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Imagine not being able to find any other word to describe someone's shitty behavior than a slur. Shoulda left dead maul five in 2008.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
deadmau5 is almost 40, still acts like a 15 year old on Xbox live. I like the dude's performance, and his music, but his bully attitude has always been obnoxious. And I mean, if you can't grow up and realize why the word itself is inappropriate then you gotta just eat your ban.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Never heard of him but he sounds pathetic to self proclaim his actions as "harmless" and insult anyone who would think otherwise. Take responsibility, try to think of the victims instead of yourself and attempt to learn and become a better person like an actual adult. I wonder how people like this would ever hope to operate in society when the day comes where they can no longer make a living from playing video games in their bedroom.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Deadmau5 has been a massive douchebag for years, so this doesn't surprise me even a little bit.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing the use of hate speech and slurs

Yeah, we learned and used the word when we were younger (flemish translation anyways) but we never use them when referencing gay-people. Mostly politicians, or people who can't drive. That's why nobody bats an eye here when you say the Flemish word. I can understand when you say it to a gay person he could get offended, but i'm not sure Deadmaus said it to a gay person.

This post isn't meant to justify hateful speech in any way, but from my point of view it shouldn't be seen as homophobic

EDIT: not defending deadmaus. Don't give a shit about his music, i just now him from Goat Simulator. Just giving my opinion

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he wasn't saying anything out of place for Twitch UNTIL he spouted that last F word. That said, there's nothing wrong in apologizing, taking the L and learn from the experience in order to become a better person, but to each his own I guess.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't understand the mentality of using a slur as normal. Like, what kind of animal are you?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you buy the absurd argument that the worst itself isn't a homophobic slur in 99% of all cases outside of the UK, that doesn't really fly when it was preceded by "cock-sucking".

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Did they ban him because he's big enough to be noticed but not popular enough to lose a noticeable chunk of $$$ in doing so?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When it becomes so self indoctrinated that you no longer notice the ramifications of your own words. Or perhaps he merely didn't care as it seems quite evident with many who spew hateful slurs and normalize them.

It's 2019, this isn't something you slip out. He knew better, but he had to get that word out. Let him pay the price for his actions.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Fuck off homophobic garbage. No apology either. Bye.

He was right about twitch having double standards though so.

The result of a few generations of people conditioned to use homophobic slurs as edgy tough talk - and defending their usage while avoiding the truth that these slurs were adopted in the first place because they associated negative things with gay people.

The only reason you call someone a f**got or call something "gay" is exactly because homophobic culture equated being gay with weakness, perversion, and inferiority.