• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Rod Breslau chimed in by stating that calling someone a "fucking cock-sucking stream sniper f*g" should not be ban-worthy given the "context and intent", and that Twitch has become a "battleground" for what can or cannot be said.

qqsfdsfdf1uksk.png

Source
Every time I see this kind of reasoning I can tell the person saying it probably uses those type of words in private. What "context and intent" could there ever be to justify saying stuff like this? Either you understand why you should not be using this kind of language or you understand that people don't like it when you use this kind of language so you never do until it slips out like in this incident.

"Context and intent" to shout bigotry over a fucking videogame....my word.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There are ways to insult somebody without resorting to homophobic or racist insults.
I wouldn't condemn somebody for using "gay" as an insult but I certainly wish they would stop using it and think it's incredibly insensitive to use it as such. My sexuality isn't something to be ashamed of, thank you.
Regardless this guy sounds like a perpetual edgy 14 year old.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
You'd be surprised at how good some are at stream sniping in BR games. But it's fairly simple you essentially change to their region, wait for them to que up and then figure out from stuff like the kill feed or the fly over path if you're in their game, if not repeat.
If only there was a way to prevent this like manually delaying the stream. If only...

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Remember a few months ago when people found insults and racist remarks/jokes you said Danny?

there's a very stark difference between discovering shitty content said years ago in comparison to that other person saying shitty nonsense like, a week ago

I have more faith in Danny maturing over the years and knowing when to not use slurs (as in, not using them at all lmfao!!!!!!) over fucking Dead Mow Cinco but hey if you like his dusty house equivalent of boom bap more power to you

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding hate speech; previous severe infractions

Calling someone a fucking idiot and calling someone a fag. Should any of those two be tolerated more than the other?

"Should using hate speech be different from swearing at someone?"

How have you lasted this long on ERA?

So you immediately assume that me honestly asking someone where they draw their lines equates to somehow downplaying a homophobic slur? Kinda sad, bruv. I'm just curious as to where people stand is all. I haven't even begun sharing my personal take on all this.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude has been a known shitlord for a while. Not surprised in the slightest. Look up this guy's past controversies.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Slasher was literally combing through the likes of tweets that were critical of Total Biscuit after he passed away so he could call out and shame prominent personalities and journalists but when someone says a universally reviled slur he pulls out the "free speech" card

He sucks

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's why I saw so many #Free
in a couple Twitch chats.

I find the ban to be reasonable and it's good that even more prominent people are being affected. Sets a good example.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there's a very stark difference between discovering shitty content said years ago in comparison to that other person saying shitty nonsense like, a week ago

I have more faith in Danny maturing over the years and knowing when to not use slurs (as in, not using them at all lmfao!!!!!!) over fucking Dead Mow Cinco but hey if you like his dusty house equivalent of boom bap more power to you

Oh I'm not comparing, I just think some people should keep their opinions to themselves especially when they've been caught out doing/saying stuff similar in the past

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
What I don't get is how these people don't just say something like "stream sniping piece of shit" - like, they have to string together a long combination of slurs and curses?

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yo you really wrote this as if you cracked the poneglyphs lmfao

tell me if the negative connotations of calling someone a fucking idiot is more severe than the negative connotations associated with homophobic slurs such as f*g. I gotta know about this.

Is one more severe than the other? Absolutely. But that wasn't my question. My question was whether either was necessary.

Yeah it absolutely should. Not that I'd encourage anyone to swear on others or call them by names, but slurs which are toward opressed minority groups are even worse. Since these minorities have to deal with a lot of shit people usually don't.

And I agree. People here are immediately running to the defense of homophobic slur being much worse than a petty insult which is true. But that was never the question.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Oh I'm not comparing, I just think some people should keep their opinions to themselves especially when they've been caught out doing/saying stuff similar in the past

isn't that just a meaningless whataboutism meant to demean the quality of the message being pushed

you can be a garbage ass person and still manage to say something well intended, broken clock etc etc

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Is one more severe than the other? Absolutely. But that wasn't my question. My question was whether either was necessary.

No, it wasn't. Your question was whether there should be any difference between hate speech and inflammatory insults.

And the answer is yes, there should be a difference.

Edit: nevermind... he was banned.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Was this just a temp ban on his account, or a permanent one? I feel like Twitch should use temp bans and account strikes in situations like this. Give people a chance to learn before giving the boot.

His Reddit post makes him seem like a complete tool though...

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a dumbass, the standard 'heated gaming moment' bullshit I see.
Twitch is where Z-listers careers go to die. It was only inevitable for this dude to crack.
Lets not pretend he wasn't extremely successful this past decade and still is to this day. He's an idiot but his career is far from dead.
Was this just a temp ban on his account, or a permanent one? I feel like Twitch should use temp bans and account strikes in situations like this. Give people a chance to learn before giving the boot.
Almost certainly a 1 week or so ban. Twitch almost never perma ban their money makers.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017

His Reddit post makes him seem like a complete tool though...

I believe it was more of a "suspension" and he reacted by deleting his channel.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that he said that and I'm not surprised that he's defending himself and what he said. I stopped listening to his music years ago because he's always been a prick.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That has to be the single worst "apology" I've ever read. Doesn't even reach the level of "I'm sorry if anyone was offended."

What a tool.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing this asshole is right about is how Twitch is inconsistent as fuck on this subject.

I'm 100% ok with a lifetime ban for using a slur, but not if you only give them to select people and allow other users (with higher viewer counts) to do so repeatedly and still have an account.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Man, I love Deadmau5, but fuck him if he's just saying that shit in the "heat of the moment."

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That has to be the single worst "apology" I've ever read. Doesn't even reach the level of "I'm sorry if anyone was offended."

What a tool.
Unfortunately this is probably the average quality you'd receive from most streamers apologizing for a similar scenario if their main source of income wasn't Twitch, like Deadmau5 here who is already too rich af to give a shit about saving face.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit it is the real deadmouse, I haven't heard about him in years. And now i can understand why

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
"Screen sniping" just seems to be the modern day screen looking, so I'd call that a totally legit tactic. It's also easy to counter; just don't stream your location lol.

So not only were they banned for being a bigot, they also want to hold gaming back. Basically the industry as a whole is better off without them.

Also lol @ the ending sentence of that Reddit post. Are they six? What's with all the Shadow the Edgehog f-words being thrown about?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
he complete misses the point about what that slur could mean, like the normalization of making homosexuality as something offensive and undesirable.. same happens with the N word

they always use that stupid argument of saying something they don't believe. Then don't fucking say it, otherwise you are just spreading the same bullshit you are getting banned for.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well, I am not happy about his behavior and whole situation, because his music creating videos were good. Not that I cannot live without them and not that I with him on using slurs, totally not. But him creating The Veldt (as a celebration of Ray Bradbury) with other people was pure magic. Sadly he became more and more of an asshole lately and I don't even know he broadcast games, like why? Probably just cause, since he definitely does not need those Twitch money.

Joel, I am disappointed.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
He articulates himself like he never outgrew browsing 4chan.

Imagine unironically using the heated gaming moment defence.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
if he wanted to call someone a fucking asshat why didnt he do so? doubt people would have a problem with that

there are thousands of swear words you can insult someone and yet people always get caught using the same few ones. how odd

Oct 25, 2017
"Screen sniping" just seems to be the modern day screen looking, so I'd call that a totally legit tactic. It's also easy to counter; just don't stream your location lol.

So not only were they banned for being a bigot, they also want to hold gaming back. Basically the industry as a whole is better off without them.

Also lol @ the ending sentence of that Reddit post. Are they six? What's with all the Shadow the Edgehog f-words being thrown about?
It's not a "totally legit tactic" to go out of your way to a third-party site to harass streamers until as you put it they literally end the stream and the people enjoying the stream no longer get it and the streamer no longer gets to stream. "Stream sniping is OK" should not be your takeaway because some idiot cannot stop from saying slurs.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Always been a 4chan edgelord. He sucks out loud just as often or more often than he seems like a decent person.