• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Looks like it was a Trump supporter. Theres a video of it out there not sure if i should post.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A man was shot and killed Saturday as a large group of supporters of President Trump traveled in a caravan through downtown Portland, Ore., which has seen nightly protests for three consecutive months.

The pro-Trump rally drew hundreds of trucks full of supporters into the city. At times, Trump supporters and counterprotesters clashed on the streets, with people shooting paintball guns from the beds of pickup trucks and protesters throwing objects back at them.

A video that purports to be of the shooting, taken from the far side of the street, showed a small group of people in the road outside what appears to be a parking garage. Gunfire erupts, and a man collapses in the street.

The man who was shot and killed was wearing a hat with the insignia of Patriot Prayer, a far-right group based in Portland that has clashed with protesters in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thread rebooted. The story linked through twitter in the second post in the original thread adds context which we thought was useful enough to add to the OP.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Portland PD could have stopped this from escalating. Instead they chose to side with the white supremacists.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Sadly with so many guns and militias in USA it was a matter of time. I hope the protesters organize security patrols, a perimeter for the protest or something because I can see all the 4channers getting riled up and demanding blood (well, they are always demanding blood but this time they sound more serious).

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not banning someone for telling people to stop protesting getting murdered is also a weird choice. But w/e

I don't think that user was calling for an outright stoppage of protests because they're callous and don't care about injustices. You're blatantly misrepresenting where they're coming from. That user is worried about a continued escalation of violence, thinks protests should continue, albeit toned down, and puts an emphasis on voting.

You can disagree with their take, that's fine, but you're being very uncharitable in your reading of their post.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't think that user was calling for an outright stoppage of protests because they're callous and don't care about injustices. You're blatantly misrepresenting where they're coming from. That user is worried about a continued escalation of violence, thinks protests should continue, albeit toned down, and puts an emphasis on voting.

You can disagree with their take, that's fine, but you're being very uncharitable in your reading of their post.
The only people toning up the protests are the police and the Nazis they're protecting.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Are any of our leaders actually capable of framing this properly?

The right wing noise machine is determined to make far-right violence a problem for Biden. Is he or any of his peers actually capable of fighting back?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It's hard to tell from the video, but it looked like the person who got shot aggressed first by using some kind of spray.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
This thread was rebooted due to the last one lacking pertinent information, as a result we lifted any bans given. Please refrain from continuing arguments from the last thread.

Keep in mind that this thread is on a sensitive subject and we will be keeping an eye on it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Without proper oversight this was always going to happen.

Unfortunately the oversight was the cops, who love one side only.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Not the first time this year I've thought this, but time to go to bed and hope I don't wake up to martial law tomorrow.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
If it really is a Trump supported we are fucked. The media and Trump are about to go hard on this

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
If it really is a Trump supported we are fucked. The media and Trump after about to go hard on this
Well, Trump may, but it's going to bring up some interesting questions after the stupid kid from the other night, namely, why is the bar for self defense so low for the kid but so high in Portland? It'll be an interesting spin the usual right wing pundits will have to concoct here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The amount of people getting shot and killed at protests is quite frankly disturbing.

Dec 31, 2017
The general increase in violent encounters during protests is not surprising as there are militia now patrolling them. Especially after what happened in Kenosha.

I'll wait to see what the details are but this is really not good for anyone. Let the right have the violent crazies, the protesters don't want to be associated with any of this.

Do we have any details/vids?

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Fuck, this outcome is exactly what Trump and his supporters wanted. They will make this guy a martyr and the dog whistles will sound louder than ever before.

They will spin this to portray BLM in as bad a light as possible, then next thing you know, Trump will be declaring BLM a terror group.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, this outcome is exactly what Trump and his supporters wanted. They will make this guy a martyr and the dog whistles will sound louder than ever before.

They will spin this to portray BLM in as bad a light as possible, then next thing you know, Trump will be declaring BLM a terror group.
The right already thinks they're a terrorist group. I dunno if Trump wants to make them a terrorist group right before the election, I think that has way too high a chance of backfiring, but, there's tons on the right that'd totally welcome that move and would support it. I imagine he'd do it after the election if he wins to be honest.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I'm honestly terrified of the ramifications of this. This could be the final straw to get our law and order president reelected.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Friend of mine is there on the ground. Says the white guy drew and fired first but wasn't as good of a shot obviously.
The media will have to frame this conversation. If this is true this will all fall on Trump and the Right as inciters of violence. I don't know how accurate your friend is, but no one in the media has said anything like this.

Nov 2, 2017
The media will have to frame this conversation. If this is true this will all fall on Trump and the Right as inciters of violence. I don't know how accurate your friend is, but no one in the media has said anything like this.

Yeah, this is second hand information. I'm not even in the same country. He does a lot of work in the Portland protests.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Has America ever been this divided? I don't even watch videos anymore because they scare me. This is what you get with a President that riots up people.

Also ban your fucking dumbass guns jezus christ.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike that murdering piece of shit in Kenosha, this actually sounds like a case of self defense.

I don't expect the media will frame it that way of course if this was some Trumper. Expect this to be used as justification for every brutal act inflicted on innocent protesters going forward as Trump hails this guy as a hero.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe that there are actual fights and killings across America in the 21st century over the idea that police shouldn't be allowed to just kill nonaggressive people withput repercussions.

Beyond fucked up when you think about it. But I guess this is just how it's always been, beneath the weak veneer of decency.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
This is awful, there's not much else I can say. I guess I'll wait for more details to see how this shook out.

Edit: where is the evidence of this bring clear and cut self defense coming from? So far, we've heard that the right wing guy used spray and some hear-say that he had a gun. From what I've seen so far, there isn't enough to justify this yet. Is there video or eye witness accounts that haven't been posted in here yet?

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Has America ever been this divided? I don't even watch videos anymore because they scare me. This is what you get with a President that riots up people.

Also ban your fucking dumbass guns jezus christ.
Right to bare arms. It's gonna take a lot of political capital that just doesn't exist to wholesale ban guns. Look at how hard it is to push even regular gun control.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I feel like I'm riding up a roller coaster, and I still can't see the peak before it plummets to the earth.

These past few weeks I feel a tightening in my jaw. The tension of what's happening right now in the US is palpable from across the ocean.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the hero worship of the Kenosha shooter is going to lead to a lot more of this as folks hoping to play hero dive into these unstable situations and find themselves over their heads.

Assuming that's the situation here.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Are any of our leaders actually capable of framing this properly?

The right wing noise machine is determined to make far-right violence a problem for Biden. Is he or any of his peers actually capable of fighting back?

Real answer: in my opinion, not many of our leaders will handle this properly. Everything will have an anti-left bias (unless it's a leader that's already truly on the left).

The opposition will tell us one thing, while lying to themselves. I pray for a good outcome that doesn't set the movement back.

The funny thing is they don't actually care that he is dead, they only care about using his death for their own gains which we can already see happening.

That's just too sad.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
What a terrible thing to wake up to seeing that this long national nightmare has continued to escalate. Do we have any hope left at all that America will learn from this the catastrophic consequences of irresponsibly voting in an obvious fascist incompetent grifter as leadership? 🤦‍♀️

I feel sick to my stomach. Again.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The right already thinks they're a terrorist group. I dunno if Trump wants to make them a terrorist group right before the election, I think that has way too high a chance of backfiring, but, there's tons on the right that'd totally welcome that move and would support it. I imagine he'd do it after the election if he wins to be honest.

They will downplay it, similar to how the video of a bunch of BLM protestors arguing with a woman outside of a home was framed as them roaming around harassing people...when she was the one who hopped out if her home wearing a swaztika yelling trying to pick a fight.

Its going to be three paragraphs on what a great guy he is, and one vaguely worded sentence describing his link. Hell, they might not even explain its an alt right group considering how the name plays into their image of a 'good' American