• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
A humble bump but... did someone receive already their US order?
I sent mine to a PO box and will travel this weekend but the Arcsys webpage doesn't show where my order is!

May 30, 2018
A humble bump but... did someone receive already their US order?
I sent mine to a PO box and will travel this weekend but the Arcsys webpage doesn't show where my order is!
i did today via Best Buy! the pins look neat. haven't popped the game in yet but excited to do so - it'll be my first playthrough

Oct 26, 2017
BTW, they put out the 2nd patch back on Oct 23rd, I assume the crashes weren't fixed with this? What's the current patch number?

I just sent him a tweet mentioning the crashes. Hopefully those will be fixed in a hopeful 3rd patch.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry this is semi-off topic, but anyone here try the DP Board Game? Is it any good? I just found out it exists, but it seeme like it's outta print or something. I'm not seeing it sold anywhere.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm losing my mind trying to get Side Mission 5 done. Wtf does it take for George to be home after 9pm?

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
have the patches fixed most of the issues at this point?
I was initially waiting on my physical copy to arrive before I started it, now I'm just trying to find the free time to start a new switch game
I'm really looking forward to playing through this again though, its been a good few years since I played the director's cut on ps3

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone have the physical version of the game? what's the version that's on the cart? are there any updates or is it the latest version?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
anyone have the physical version of the game? what's the version that's on the cart? are there any updates or is it the latest version?

Pretty sure mine updated on the day I got it. I think its 1.0 on the cart.

have the patches fixed most of the issues at this point?
I was initially waiting on my physical copy to arrive before I started it, now I'm just trying to find the free time to start a new switch game
I'm really looking forward to playing through this again though, its been a good few years since I played the director's cut on ps3

The framerate during driving is erratic but seems to be the best its been? Sometimes its running at 60 (or just noticeably above 30 anyway). I mean, my PS3 copy was absolutely atrocious in comparison.

The only issue I've had is two separate crashes after 2-3 hours of constant play. Lost like 30 mins of progress on one because I didn't save regularly. Just make sure to save regularly and you should be fine.

What were the initial release issues again?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
could you please check what version you have now? i'm seeing some conflicting things online, saying the digital version is at 1.0.2 but the physical is at 1.0.1.
i've ordered a physical copy, i'm worried it's not getting the latest update.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
could you please check what version you have now? i'm seeing some conflicting things online, saying the digital version is at 1.0.2 but the physical is at 1.0.1.
i've ordered a physical copy, i'm worried it's not getting the latest update.

My version says 1.0.1.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
uh oh. i wonder why they haven't pushed the 1.0.2 update to the physical version, it came out a long time ago.

I had a look around and I think I've got down to the root of the problem.

According to Numskull Games, 1.0.1 is already on the cart, and you can download the 1.0.2. patch for it.

I'm assuming that it's appearing as 1.0.0 on the Switch OS, and the 1.0.2 patch for the physical edition is actually appearing as 1.0.1.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a look around and I think I've got down to the root of the problem.

According to Numskull Games, 1.0.1 is already on the cart, and you can download the 1.0.2. patch for it.

I'm assuming that it's appearing as 1.0.0 on the Switch OS, and the 1.0.2 patch for the physical edition is actually appearing as 1.0.1.

oh, so it's the 1.0.1 digital version that's on the cart (as 1.0), and the 1.0.2 update shows up as 1.0.1 on physical versions? that's good news, thank you for checking and helping me out.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018

The framerate during driving is erratic but seems to be the best its been? Sometimes its running at 60 (or just noticeably above 30 anyway). I mean, my PS3 copy was absolutely atrocious in comparison.

The only issue I've had is two separate crashes after 2-3 hours of constant play. Lost like 30 mins of progress on one because I didn't save regularly. Just make sure to save regularly and you should be fine.

What were the initial release issues again?

I'm not sure what the initial issues were, I just remember seeing people complain a lot and that they'd wait for patches and since I was waiting on my copy anyway I figured I'd join them - now I'm just wondering if its the time to finally begin.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not sure what the initial issues were, I just remember seeing people complain a lot and that they'd wait for patches and since I was waiting on my copy anyway I figured I'd join them - now I'm just wondering if its the time to finally begin.

Apparently audio cutting out in cutscenes and when entering the car. And the car had really REALLY bad performance. Can't say I've noticed anything like that but the crashes I mentioned so I'd say definitely most issues people had are fixed.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, obvious what the general opinion is going to be, but I've been delaying this game and it's on my wishlist since it came out.

Now then:

- Silent Hill is on of my Top 3 franchises ever
- Twin Peaks is one of my Top 3 shows ever
- Usually don't like driving sections in adventure games
- Performance issues don't exactly matter to me

will I like Deadly Premonition lol?

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now then:

Those all describe me, and Deadly Premonition is frequently my answer for my all time favourite game

Games wise, it'll likely track with people who like, Suda's works, Silent Hill titles, Shenmue, Dead Rising, Yakuza and uh Mizzurna Falls.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, obvious what the general opinion is going to be, but I've been delaying this game and it's on my wishlist since it came out.

Now then:

Fuck yes

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Now then:

You should just play it. There's a high chance you'll like it, but DP is a game that I'd say is worth trying if you're remotely interested in it.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
My game is crashing at a really wrong time
My game crashes when it is revealed that Kaysen was working with George. It crashes after it shows the photo of them together in George's home. I Want to finish!

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
So I started this recently on Switch. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure on what this game actually was and whether or not I'd like it. From what I could conclude from reactions online, it was either 1) a bad game that was cynically and ironically beloved just because of the jank, weird cutscenes/characters and the fact it was so egregiously poorly made almost like a video game version of The Room, or 2) a good game with genuinely great moments with a huge lack of polish, with the above mentioned jank and characters. The first two chapters did not come across well, but after a few more (where I'm at) it's holding up better and I think it's going to end up in the latter category for me. I've obviously been entertained by the absurdity of the game, but also am genuinely scared with some some of the tense moments too...

We'll see how it goes.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
So I started this recently on Switch. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure on what this game actually was and whether or not I'd like it. From what I could conclude from reactions online, it was either 1) a bad game that was cynically and ironically beloved just because of the jank, weird cutscenes/characters and the fact it was so egregiously poorly made almost like a video game version of The Room, or 2) a good game with genuinely great moments with a huge lack of polish, with the above mentioned jank and characters. The first two chapters did not come across well, but after a few more (where I'm at) it's holding up better and I think it's going to end up in the latter category for me. I've obviously been entertained by the absurdity of the game, but also am genuinely scared with some some of the tense moments too...

We'll see how it goes.

Your issue is you left out a variable: 3) it's a bad game with lots of jank and desperately needing 1 or 10 more polish passes, but also genuinely loved for its genuinely great moments and charming character writing

Last edited:

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Your issue is you left out a variable: 3) it's a bad game with lots of jank and desperately needing 1 or 10 more polish passes, but also genuinely loved for it's genuinely great moments and charming character writing

Yeah, this too. I'm just glad it's not a game enjoyed solely through a lens of snark.

Also, I've had that goddamn whistle theme stuck in my head all day.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Switch Version Described Below

So I may have accidentally glitched a boss battle in a kind of hilarious way, but now the game crashes every time that I try to continue from my save. I tried replaying the boss battle chapter and saving, but the crash seems to persist.

Anyone have any miracle fixes so that my 16ish hour save can be saved?

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am not sure which platform I should play it on... I started it both on Switch and PC.
I like both version, Switch might be more stable and doesn't have the DC stuff. PC would be my main choice but not so sure anymore.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure which platform I should play it on... I started it both on Switch and PC.
I like both version, Switch might be more stable and doesn't have the DC stuff. PC would be my main choice but not so sure anymore.

I've got both the PC and physical Switch release. Switch is my preference, partly because I love being able to just pick it up and play whenever/wherever I want, and partly because the first time I tried playing the PC version, I hit a progress blocking bug where it would crash during a transitioning cutscene out of the A&G Diner which I could never figure out how to circumvent.

The Switch version on the other hand, while still buggy and crashed about 2 or 3 times during my whole play through, seemed much more stable overall, which was ultimately more important to me.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally picked this up and looking forward to diving in.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a game breaking bug that can be avoided? Anyone know about this? I could be wrong, but it might have something to do with a key.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally picked this up and looking forward to diving in.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a game breaking bug that can be avoided? Anyone know about this? I could be wrong, but it might have something to do with a key.

Don't use chapter select unless you've finished a chapter. If you use it mid chapter, it'll remove key items and they can no longer be used again.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
jesus fuck, I picked up the switch port and started replaying (my first since the original 360 version) and it looks so much worse than I remember I almost think my download fucked up. There's like an aura surrounding Yorke and only when objects get right near him do the (slightly) better textures load, going around the open world is actually giving me a headache because everything on the screen is such a blurred and jagged mess.

Am I misremembering the original game, did the port botch this, or did something with my download go weird?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth using a guide when playing this game to get the full experience? I don't normally like using guides but I know sidequests and stuff are pretty important in this and I wouldn't really want to miss out if they're easy to miss or timed in some way.
Also, I already own the game on PC but I've never played it, is the Switch version better if I'm not super bothered about portable play? I've heard the PC version crashes a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just bought this on Switch and I'm getting a lot of sound crackling, particularly with thunder - is there anyway to fix this? I've checked the version and it doesn't need anymore patches.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Since the game was on sale I bought it Sunday and pretty much played it straight through, with some Animal Crossing sprinkled here and there. I'd wanted to play since it got ported to Switch, but the sale is what finally made me jump. I finished the game yesterday.

I went into this game not knowing it was "horror". I didn't read anything about it until I played, and then saw the zombie like enemies. One thing about me, I don't do horror. I couldn't even make it through Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS. Though, for some reason Deadly Premonition just wasn't scary to me. Less times than I could count on one hand was I startled by the enemies. I absolutely hated the combat sections, especially early on. Luckily the game is quite easy (I hear the previous versions were not) so I didn't ever need to grind for the quest weapons and I never ran out of ammo. Yeah I know I missed out on a lot of side quests and have mostly recapped that content by looking online because I was thirsty for more lore when I finished. I did love the characters and world but I was mostly impatient to see how this all would end. But my point is that, I've seen a lot of people around the internet refer to this game as horror when I just don't see it that way. The normal enemies were not scary at all, just annoying. Sure a lot of stuff in the game was disturbing and unsettling but I never felt like it was a horror game, if that makes sense.

Anyway I really enjoyed the game even though I have some mixed opinions on it, and I came out of it feeling quite sad. I also haven't been able to stop thinking about it, even though it's been over 24 hours since I finished.

I was disappointed that the killer was George even though in hindsight it was obvious, and I even saw the foreshadowing of his plate and was curious about him not letting me enter his house yet I still wanted to believe he was a good guy. I liked the dynamic that George, York, and Emily had, especially once they started warming up to him and wanting to do things as a team. Speaking of Emily, her death really hit me hard. I sobbed. It also made me upset though, I hate when sexual assault is used as a trope and the line about being soiled left an awful taste in my mouth. It seemed out of character for her to even say. With it also being a play on words with her having a literal tree sprouting out of her womb, that made me even more unsettled. I don't know how I feel about it entirely, I mean I certainly wish it hadn't happened, but it also was handled better than expected somehow. In hindsight her death was also foreshadowed. I kept wondering if they would go that far as to kill her off or not, and at one point I was even hoping it would go there just for the shock value, but of course once it happened I immediately regretted it because it broke my heart. I keep thinking about that.

I was also really sad about Thomas. I'm unsure as to whether or not Thomas was trans, I kind of think they were, because in the "afterlife" they were a goddess of the forest. I will use they to refer to Thomas though since I can't remember if the game ever uses anything other than he. From the beginning I felt it was pretty obvious that they were queer and possibly attracted to York, but it hurt to see how deep Thomas was into the whole case, and how their love for George made them resent Emily, and it was just very sad. I keep coming back to the fact that I really felt like I grew close to the team, eating lunch with them that Thomas had made, and now everyone there is gone. Even York is gone. If I, as the player, am Zach, then I'm the only one left after it all. I enjoyed those cutscenes so much.

I never really suspected Kaysen, I was too busy wondering how he was able to be in a sexual relationship with a woman like Diane, lmao. Though I did find it very suspicious that when York was going to confront George, he told Kaysen to take Emily to the hospital and it was kinda a big deal moment. I thought to myself, I bet she doesn't make it to the hospital. Kaysen as a villain goes kinda anime hammy, even though I despite him and his methods, I feel fascinated by him because of his mysterious origin and background that I guess at this point will always be half speculation. It's interesting how the game gives us one villain in George, who is pretty human and despite all the awful things he did, still can be felt sorry for because of his abusive childhood. And another villain in Kaysen who is quite the opposite, a being that might just exist outside the human realm, basically delightfully carrying out the will of the Red Tree. And when Willie comes into play, and the fact that the town is shaped like Willie, it's just cosmic horror scales of villainy.

I feel confused about Harry Stewart/Woodman. Why would he leave his son to be abused by his wife? I also wonder if he knew George was a killer but not the main evil in town. He implies that if he had been able to shoot his wife or himself when Kaysen planted a seed in his wife, that it would have saved George. How would it have saved George if the seed killed his wife, and George had already endured years of abuse at her hand already? I guess it's vague but I don't understand the relationship that George's and York's parents may have had with Kaysen. Why did he target their families? Was George being abused with tree branches related to Red Tree or was it more just run of the mill child abuse that happens every day in the real world? I don't understand the timeline of his family either. George's mother is dead in his house. If that is his childhood home then Harry just lived in a mansion and let George think he didn't have a father. Yet somehow still visited his wife sometimes because Harry was there when his wife had a fuckin tree sprout from her insides. Is it actually true that George doesn't remember/know his father or could he have been lying? I keep trying to wrap my head around this and almost want to consider that the George who was abused by his mother was actually also somehow being abused by the dead tree corpse of his mother. I've gotta be missing something here.

I know it's a common trope in fiction but it was unbelievable to me that York and Emily were "falling for" each other after barely knowing each other. In real life, it would be called a crush or being attracted to, or infatuated with, someone. Liking the potential you'd have together and wanting to explore that. Not actually falling in love. I did like them together and would have loved if they could have properly gone on a date (when she came to his hotel room that night in that dress I expected them to have sex and I feel like if it were a western developed game they would have lol) but one of my lighthearted thoughts after beating the game was, "So now Emily is with York for eternity. What if they realize they don't even make a good couple? What then?"

I am interested in the sequel but if they up the "horror" then I won't be able to play, I'll probably watch an LP in that case because for some reason I can watch people play horror games, i just can't play them myself.

Anyway all questions that don't really demand answers from anyone reading this, just venting a bit! Thanks for reading, if you happened to.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the game was on sale I bought it Sunday and pretty much played it straight through, with some Animal Crossing sprinkled here and there. I'd wanted to play since it got ported to Switch, but the sale is what finally made me jump. I finished the game yesterday.

I went into this game not knowing it was "horror". I didn't read anything about it until I played, and then saw the zombie like enemies. One thing about me, I don't do horror. I couldn't even make it through Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS. Though, for some reason Deadly Premonition just wasn't scary to me. Less times than I could count on one hand was I startled by the enemies. I absolutely hated the combat sections, especially early on. Luckily the game is quite easy (I hear the previous versions were not) so I didn't ever need to grind for the quest weapons and I never ran out of ammo. Yeah I know I missed out on a lot of side quests and have mostly recapped that content by looking online because I was thirsty for more lore when I finished. I did love the characters and world but I was mostly impatient to see how this all would end. But my point is that, I've seen a lot of people around the internet refer to this game as horror when I just don't see it that way. The normal enemies were not scary at all, just annoying. Sure a lot of stuff in the game was disturbing and unsettling but I never felt like it was a horror game, if that makes sense.

Anyway I really enjoyed the game even though I have some mixed opinions on it, and I came out of it feeling quite sad. I also haven't been able to stop thinking about it, even though it's been over 24 hours since I finished.

I was disappointed that the killer was George even though in hindsight it was obvious, and I even saw the foreshadowing of his plate and was curious about him not letting me enter his house yet I still wanted to believe he was a good guy. I liked the dynamic that George, York, and Emily had, especially once they started warming up to him and wanting to do things as a team. Speaking of Emily, her death really hit me hard. I sobbed. It also made me upset though, I hate when sexual assault is used as a trope and the line about being soiled left an awful taste in my mouth. It seemed out of character for her to even say. With it also being a play on words with her having a literal tree sprouting out of her womb, that made me even more unsettled. I don't know how I feel about it entirely, I mean I certainly wish it hadn't happened, but it also was handled better than expected somehow. In hindsight her death was also foreshadowed. I kept wondering if they would go that far as to kill her off or not, and at one point I was even hoping it would go there just for the shock value, but of course once it happened I immediately regretted it because it broke my heart. I keep thinking about that.

I was also really sad about Thomas. I'm unsure as to whether or not Thomas was trans, I kind of think they were, because in the "afterlife" they were a goddess of the forest. I will use they to refer to Thomas though since I can't remember if the game ever uses anything other than he. From the beginning I felt it was pretty obvious that they were queer and possibly attracted to York, but it hurt to see how deep Thomas was into the whole case, and how their love for George made them resent Emily, and it was just very sad. I keep coming back to the fact that I really felt like I grew close to the team, eating lunch with them that Thomas had made, and now everyone there is gone. Even York is gone. If I, as the player, am Zach, then I'm the only one left after it all. I enjoyed those cutscenes so much.

I never really suspected Kaysen, I was too busy wondering how he was able to be in a sexual relationship with a woman like Diane, lmao. Though I did find it very suspicious that when York was going to confront George, he told Kaysen to take Emily to the hospital and it was kinda a big deal moment. I thought to myself, I bet she doesn't make it to the hospital. Kaysen as a villain goes kinda anime hammy, even though I despite him and his methods, I feel fascinated by him because of his mysterious origin and background that I guess at this point will always be half speculation. It's interesting how the game gives us one villain in George, who is pretty human and despite all the awful things he did, still can be felt sorry for because of his abusive childhood. And another villain in Kaysen who is quite the opposite, a being that might just exist outside the human realm, basically delightfully carrying out the will of the Red Tree. And when Willie comes into play, and the fact that the town is shaped like Willie, it's just cosmic horror scales of villainy.

I feel confused about Harry Stewart/Woodman. Why would he leave his son to be abused by his wife? I also wonder if he knew George was a killer but not the main evil in town. He implies that if he had been able to shoot his wife or himself when Kaysen planted a seed in his wife, that it would have saved George. How would it have saved George if the seed killed his wife, and George had already endured years of abuse at her hand already? I guess it's vague but I don't understand the relationship that George's and York's parents may have had with Kaysen. Why did he target their families? Was George being abused with tree branches related to Red Tree or was it more just run of the mill child abuse that happens every day in the real world? I don't understand the timeline of his family either. George's mother is dead in his house. If that is his childhood home then Harry just lived in a mansion and let George think he didn't have a father. Yet somehow still visited his wife sometimes because Harry was there when his wife had a fuckin tree sprout from her insides. Is it actually true that George doesn't remember/know his father or could he have been lying? I keep trying to wrap my head around this and almost want to consider that the George who was abused by his mother was actually also somehow being abused by the dead tree corpse of his mother. I've gotta be missing something here.

I know it's a common trope in fiction but it was unbelievable to me that York and Emily were "falling for" each other after barely knowing each other. In real life, it would be called a crush or being attracted to, or infatuated with, someone. Liking the potential you'd have together and wanting to explore that. Not actually falling in love. I did like them together and would have loved if they could have properly gone on a date (when she came to his hotel room that night in that dress I expected them to have sex and I feel like if it were a western developed game they would have lol) but one of my lighthearted thoughts after beating the game was, "So now Emily is with York for eternity. What if they realize they don't even make a good couple? What then?"

I am interested in the sequel but if they up the "horror" then I won't be able to play, I'll probably watch an LP in that case because for some reason I can watch people play horror games, i just can't play them myself.

Anyway all questions that don't really demand answers from anyone reading this, just venting a bit! Thanks for reading, if you happened to.
great post, and i felt a lot of the same things while playing and after finishing the game. shows how good the game's story and characters are when it can make you truly care about them.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I did not realize DP 2 was coming out so soon, so I went ahead and grabbed this on the Switch right now. I own it on PC, but $15 is a good deal and I'm way more likely to actually finish it on Switch. Looking forward on getting into it.

About how long would you say this game is? I'm deep in on DQ11 right now, but I want to finish DP before the sequel comes out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About how long would you say this game is? I'm deep in on DQ11 right now, but I want to finish DP before the sequel comes out.
depends how you play it. if you just focus on the main story i'd say ~20 hours, but if you also do the side stuff (which i think everyone should), that adds another ~15 hours or so.

Oct 26, 2017
Ec3OXNCUYAAQ-jE

👀

It's now at 1.04!

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I just started this game yesterday. I have a few questions.

Should I grind for extra money when enemies keep respawning?

How important is time? Not the games fault, but I keep nodding off while playing it.

Can side missions be missed?

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
Time is not important. Anything you miss you can do the next day. Money is not important enough to grind for.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Juat finished the last chapter before the epilogue

very very heartbroken that emily is dead, like, it bummed me out for the rest of the day which is bad because i need to finish my deck for work tomorrow and i need to play with my son as well