• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Just noticed you can buy the old, better version on the Microsoft Store again.
Is this a new thing or was it available before and I didn't notice?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it's been back for a while. it was put back up in 2020, then removed a day later, then a while later put back up for good.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
There are two versions of the game for Xbox 360. The link already posted was for the European version. The two versions have separate achievement lists if you are able to purchase both.

Buy DEADLY PREMONITION | Xbox

Welcome to Greenvale, a remote rural town where mystery and murder go hand in hand. Assume the role of Agent Morgan, and delve into Greenvale’s deadly secrets.

EU Version -https://www.microsoft.com/p/deadly-premonition/bx0bdkwnzc35?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
There are two versions of the game for Xbox 360. The link already posted was for the European version.

Buy DEADLY PREMONITION | Xbox

Welcome to Greenvale, a remote rural town where mystery and murder go hand in hand. Assume the role of Agent Morgan, and delve into Greenvale’s deadly secrets.

EU Version -https://www.microsoft.com/p/deadly-premonition/bx0bdkwnzc35?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Yup, just managed to purchase the EU version.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
So is this game good or not? I'm curious about it because the reviews are BAD but it seems to have developed a cult following over the years.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
So is this game good or not? I'm curious about it because the reviews are BAD but it seems to have developed a cult following over the years.

It's kinda like spam (the food): most people may hate it, but there are also a lot of unabashed fans of it.

As opposed to whether the game is good or not, that's up to you to determine. I enjoyed it, but a lot of my friends probably wouldn't. I'd watch some gameplay footage of it and see if it seems charming and/or intriguing enough that you'd want to explore it even with its technological limitations. If it catches your interest, definitely give it a shot. If you're a fan of Twin Peaks vibes/surreal elements, you'll probably more inclined to dig it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Wait, there are two Xbox 360 versions of that game?! I never knew. How substantial are the differences? Also XSEED hasn't published anything on Xbox since 2014, right? Interesting to see it back, hope this is not an error. It's been on my list ever since I played and loved Alan Wake.

Last edited:

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I really thoroughly enjoy everything outside of the combat segments, which are an absolute slog. Like, ABSOLUTE SLOG. And I say that while also just buying this, my fourth version of the game. So. It's something you play for the bizarre story and offbeat tone more than anything else but it also has a lot of interesting mechanics that they made instead of polishing things, which are largely very neat if sometimes gimmicky.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the old version better?
Because for the Director's Cut all the visual "improvements" they made tanked the already mediocre framerate badly. I put improvements in air quotations because the lighting system is definitely worse, the game is meant to be slightly washed out with a red filter because that's part of the atmosphere (much like Silent Hill's fog) yet it was removed. Other than that it's basically just a few extra costumes, slightly more detailed textures and more detailed bushes, really minor stuff you won't notice - no QoL improvements or anything. The Switch version seems to be a port of the 360 one but without the red filter.

It's a game you play for the story, the town and the characters, the gameplay itself is very rough (sub-PS2 level). I'll put it this way, if you consider Nier's gameplay to be perfectly serviceable but just outdated (which it is) then you'd find Deadly Premonition's gameplay to be rough. If you think Nier plays badly, you'd think DP is unplayable.

Personally I consider it worth experiencing and it is in my all-time top 10, you'll struggle to find a game as quirky, funny and engaging as it is. But go in armed with a guide so you can blast through side missions and unlock better weapons to make the combat tolerable, the starter pistol is woeful.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
The gun gameplay is awful, the car controls like shit and the graphics are terrible but the atmosphere, dialogue and characters are so incredible that I can get past the issues and still consider it one of my favourite games of all time. It basically depends if you think gameplay is everything or not.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
director's cut looks worse, runs worse, has missing textures, and the new story content (if you can call it that, it's like 10 minutes of new cutscenes) are nonsensical and were retconned in the sequel.

Yep, and PC version is a complete shitshow. Not only has all the flaws of the PS3 Director's Cut, also the resolution is capped at 720p (fixable using DPFix) and has a LOT of crashes, glitches and bugs. Hell, as a workaround (of many) for crashes, you have to set the game's exe in compatibility mode for Windows Motherfucking 98!!!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and PC version is a complete shitshow. Not only has all the flaws of the PS3 Director's Cut, also the resolution is capped at 720p (fixable using DPFix) and has a LOT of crashes, glitches and bugs. Hell, as a workaround (of many) for crashes, you have to set the game's exe in compatibility mode for Windows Motherfucking 98!!!
yeah, from what i hear crashes in the PC version are pretty much inevitable, it just varies from crashing every few minutes to every few hours.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
On a purely technical level it's bad, but the presentation, characters and overall vibe are very charming if you can get into it. It's hard to recommend without knowing what your tastes are in games/media. For example, do you like Twin Peaks? Because that will help a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's one of the all time greats for sure.

Edit:
Definitely know what you're getting into though. You have to be coming to this game for the adventure / detective gameplay and slice of life elements. As well for the town and incredibly memorable characters.
You do not want to pick up this game because you're looking for a shooter.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
You need to have a certain mindset in order to get the game. If you are on its wavelength it's probably one of the best gaming experiences you'll ever have. If not, you won't understand why people love it.

/edit: btw don't for a second think "eh I'll just try the sequel, it's gotta be better right?". It's not and it's almost impressive how much worse it is in every way. That one is only for die-hard fans and even then, prepare to be disappointed. Definitely try out DP1 though, it's something else.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do modern consoles fix the fps issues?
deadly premonition is pretty solidly locked at 30 fps on the 360. i'm not sure if it's BC enhanced when running on xbox one/series x|s tho. maybe a resolution increase but i doubt it runs at a higher frame rate.

the switch version has unlocked frame rate, and sometimes can run at around ~50, but it does occasionally drop to ~20, specially in driving segments. the driving overall is a mess in any version after the original.

if you can play the xbox version (on xb1 or xs), go for it. if not, switch version is a decent alternative.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is it better to get this version or the Switch version?
if it's convenient for you, get this version. switch version is pretty much the same, content wise. but it has the visual changes from the director's cut (which imo make the game look worse), and has less stable frame rate. it also crashes sometimes (crashed like 4 times for me in ~35 hours).

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
deadly premonition is pretty solidly locked at 30 fps on the 360. i'm not sure if it's BC enhanced when running on xbox one/series x|s tho. maybe a resolution increase but i doubt it runs at a higher frame rate.
Still 30fps on the Series X, and no evident resolution bump from what I could tell but loading times are nearly instant which is nice.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've noticed that it's been available on Series X|S despite not for the first month. Waiting for a sale though.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I got it the last time it was up. Purchased it immediately and I should still have it. I never did download the game (my XB1 is packed away), but they would have emailed me if it was refunded, right?

Anyway, just buy it if you are on the fence. Don't miss it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
if it's convenient for you, get this version. switch version is pretty much the same, content wise. but it has the visual changes from the director's cut (which imo make the game look worse), and has less stable frame rate. it also crashes sometimes (crashed like 4 times for me in ~35 hours).
This version definitely. Switch version was a disappointment.

Thanks, I'll snag this version now then. Appreciate the advice.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
so the EU version linked earlier is the best performing version of the game, and works on series x?
Just want to make sure before I buy wrong thing...

Buy Deadly Premonition | Xbox

Special Agent York must solve the mystery of the Red Seed Murders before his investigation is ended... permanently.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it just switched publishers from Ignition to XSEED/Marvelous which is what I was assuming was happening.