• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure it ultimately matters, as I still don't know at this point if I even want to play this game any more, and I also don't know how to make games (or why it might make a difference) but is there any footage of the new patch in town itself? I've seen the clip in OP from skateboarding by the cemetery but is there anything from within the more urban area? Not sure it'll make a difference really, just interested if more complicated geometry and increase in npcs has any effect.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I see it when I put them back to back. I just never thought the framerate was that bad. It was 15fps in the first one on PS3, maybe 10fps when looking at the forest, and this is where it first launched as the Director's Cut, and it should be okay to have the same framerate here, dammit. It's all part of the experience.
The 360 original ran almost at a locked 30fps though... The framerate being piss-poor has always been inexcusable and was never intended to be part of the experience.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The framerate being piss-poor has always been inexcusable and was never intended to be part of the experience.

Must be annoying for some people to see the devs improving the framerate and thus obviously ruining what was intended to be part of the experience.

I'm joking of course.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I see it when I put them back to back. I just never thought the framerate was that bad. It was 15fps in the first one on PS3, maybe 10fps when looking at the forest, and this is where it first launched as the Director's Cut, and it should be okay to have the same framerate here, dammit. It's all part of the experience.
Not this awful argument again...

That's like saying that Bayonetta PS3 was the original experience. Deadly Premonition 360 was great on that side.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not this awful argument again...

That's like saying that Bayonetta PS3 was the original experience. Deadly Premonition 360 was great on that side.
This is not a proper comparison.

The awful performance fits with DP's awfully crafted level design and stilted animations and "homemade" feeling. It's unintentional but it fits. Bayonetta is a AAA-ass game with high production value and a desire for precision and seamless action. That performance-struggle does not fit with that game. That's the difference.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Does 2 have the issue Origins does on Switch of the physical and digital versions being separate releases and thus not getting the same patches at the same time? I want to get a physical version but not if patches are released for it months later, if at all.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
This is not a proper comparison.

The awful performance fits with DP's awfully crafted level design and stilted animations and "homemade" feeling. It's unintentional but it fits. Bayonetta is a AAA-ass game with high production value and a desire for precision and seamless action. That performance-struggle does not fit with that game. That's the difference.
So the game running fine on 360 was somehow not in Swery's vision? The awful performance doesn't fit, dude. Just because there's animation jank doesn't make it feel "homemade" to run at garbage framerates. There are many games that feel small and indie without running like shit.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Any word on whether this patch (or even a prior patch) addresses the issues regarding your controls ceasing to respond at times? Also, does the game still hitch when you shoot a crate for the first time in an area?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was called "Director's Cut". It was an improvement.
it isn't
- it has worse performance
- it has objects and models with missing textures
- it has some useless (and sometimes offensive) DLC
- it has some new cutscenes that make no sense, make the story worse, and are disregarded and retconned in the sequel
- it looks generally worse than the 360 version because of its color tone
- even the HUD is made uglier for some reason

on the positive side, it has lowered difficulty and some small QoL improvements

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does 2 have the issue Origins does on Switch of the physical and digital versions being separate releases and thus not getting the same patches at the same time? I want to get a physical version but not if patches are released for it months later, if at all.
no, the patches are the same among digital and physical versions
the patch disparity is an issue of the origins having different publishers for digital and physical versions, 2 doesn't have that issue

Last edited:

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Sure, and so was RE1 Director's Cut Dual Shock. "Director's Cut" doesn't mean jack shit, lmao.

FYI, Swery didn't even touch the Director's Cut on the technical side. It was ported by ToyBox Inc and published by Rising Star Games, hence the shit performance. Do your research.

Last edited:

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017

Director's Cut was never on the 360. We're talking about the original release, which ran at a consistent 30 fps. The Director's Cut ports ran significantly worse and introduced a whole slew of new issues both in performance and in content. When people talk about the original Deadly Premonition's jank, they're talking about its production values, its sound mixing, its character models, its weird sense of priorities. Perception has warped to ALL aspects of Deadly Premonition but writing to be bad, but a game releasing at 2 fps and with this amount of locks and issues is inexcusable. ESPECIALLY at fucking $50.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Am I correct in assuming that there will be no more story patches? Or is there still some stuff Swery plans on doing?
I thought they were going to do some patches for the story content of the game regarding trans portrayal. Is that still happening?

... That's kind of an important thing, given my roommate is trans and Deadly Premonition is one of his favorite games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were going to do some patches for the story content of the game regarding trans portrayal. Is that still happening?

... That's kind of an important thing, given my roommate is trans and Deadly Premonition is one of his favorite games.
there previous patch fixed one particularly bad scene, but a lot of the issues regarding the trans character are still in the game

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there previous patch fixed one particularly bad scene, but a lot of the issues regarding the trans character are still in the game
I'm both happy they addressed the worst scene then while being disappointed they failed to address the rest.

It being what it is now, I guess I'll let my roommate know the current version is the "best" version.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Director's Cut was never on the 360. We're talking about the original release, which ran at a consistent 30 fps. The Director's Cut ports ran significantly worse and introduced a whole slew of new issues both in performance and in content. When people talk about the original Deadly Premonition's jank, they're talking about its production values, its sound mixing, its character models, its weird sense of priorities. Perception has warped to ALL aspects of Deadly Premonition but writing to be bad, but a game releasing at 2 fps and with this amount of locks and issues is inexcusable. ESPECIALLY at fucking $50.
The director's cut is the improvment and it took it to 15fps. Creative Choice.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the new options:

e873a9dd-8ff0-4ca5-8gpkso.jpeg

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
You can't be serious. If the buggy, horrible performance was all artistic intent and not caused by time and budget restrictions, why would they be slowly improving it now. Swery said he wouldn't make any more changes to the story despite heavy criticism and he justified it with his artistic intent. If this level of performance was intended by the artist, then he would have told us so instead of slowly cleaning up this mess.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You can't be serious. If the buggy, horrible performance was all artistic intent and not caused by time and budget restrictions, why would they be slowly improving it now. Swery said he wouldn't make any more changes to the story despite heavy criticisms and he justified it with his artistic intent. If this level of performance was intended by the artist, then he would have told us so instead of slowly cleaning up this mess.
Swery has abandoned his artistic integrity.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Might have to finally jump back in. I'll probably start over since I only played a couple hours when it came out because of the horrid framerate.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Swery has abandoned his artistic integrity.
Still not sure if you're trolling or not, but let's say he did. His new intention would be to sell more copies and make the game more palpable to the mainstream at the expense of his artistic integrity.

Why wouldn't he also sand down the parts that people have called transphobic, racist or ableist if he truly is a "sellout" now?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling and derailment; long history of trolling
Still not sure if you're trolling or not, but let's say he did. His new intention would be to sell more copies and make the game more palpable to the mainstream at the expense of his artistic integrity.

Why wouldn't he also sand down the parts that people have called transphobic, racist or ableist if he truly is a "sellout" now?
HE got bullied by gamers to reduce the frameskipping.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My point still stands.

It really does not.

It's always such a treat to watch someone be so wrong but keep doubling down as if they know what they're talking about.

Or you're just a troll, which given your posting history on other topics I think might be the real issue here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
HE got bullied by gamers to reduce the frameskipping.
To me, the basic technical presentation of a game (framerate, resolution, tearing or v-sync, etc. // not models, textures, etc.) are more like the museum that presents the art or a window through which you see the art and not part of the artwork itself. There are edge cases like Cave Story where one person is responsible for the whole game where my argument might now work, but in general games are a collaborative effort. Swery didn't make DP1 or DP2 all on his own and optimizing perfomance and fixing bugs probably wasn't his responsibility on either game. In these team situations, compromises have to be made every day to get a game out. At some point, something went wrong with their time management or budget or probably both and the end result is the rushed, unfinished mess we got to play on day one.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people are even bothering to reply, Asbsand is just trolling

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people are even bothering to reply, Asbsand is just trolling
Probably, but there was more than one person in the OT who made the same arguments at release. Heck, one reviewer that's listed on MC gave the game a 5/5, made the same excuses and called it a:

"Dali painting breaking the rules to deliver a wild surrealist vision rather than a beginner's art class' floundering efforts to recreate the Mona Lisa"

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
yeah. obviously cuz they no longer make sense considering the direction they've taken with a character in 2.
I never cared for the cutscenes added in Director's Cut. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the story unfolded in the original, so I don't understand the need to change the narrative flow with those cutscenes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one bug that still hasn't been fixed: the play-time still counts the time when system is in standby mode :/

I never cared for the cutscenes added in Director's Cut. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the story unfolded in the original, so I don't understand the need to change the narrative flow with those cutscenes.
i think it was just an excuse to sell the game again to the dedicated fanbase who had already played and enjoyed the game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
that's the improved clip?
oh, ok.

this game has the weirdest discourse around it I've seen in a bit

Mr Pricklefingers

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 4, 2017
Can confirm the mini game results screen bug is fixed. I can finally progress in the game.

Framerate is noticeably improved, but obviously still very bad. And I'm sure the loading screens got a little quicker.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually finished this before the patch. If the game wasn't so incredibly ugly in just about every way, I might be tempted to try it out. But I think I'll pass. I wasn't thrilled with their "fixes" for the transphobic components of the game, but it's also deeply racist and problematic in other ways, too -- mostly not fixable ways, or certainly not on the budget this game has/had. From top to bottom the thing is pretty rotten, and the only thing that really gets it any positive marks are the nostalgia it produces from the first, far, far superior entry, and one or two standout story beats. I suppose for the sake of people who are playing it now, though, I'm glad they have improved performance -- it was nearly unplayable in earlier states, and I'm kind of shocked I was able to finish the game at all like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To me, the basic technical presentation of a game (framerate, resolution, tearing or v-sync, etc. // not models, textures, etc.) are more like the museum that presents the art or a window through which you see the art and not part of the artwork itself. There are edge cases like Cave Story where one person is responsible for the whole game where my argument might now work, but in general games are a collaborative effort. Swery didn't make DP1 or DP2 all on his own and optimizing perfomance and fixing bugs probably wasn't his responsibility on either game. In these team situations, compromises have to be made every day to get a game out. At some point, something went wrong with their time management or budget or probably both and the end result is the rushed, unfinished mess we got to play on day one.
I think there are potentials for utilizing poor frame rate, res, tearing, etc in an artistic manner. I do not think Deadly Premonition 2 attempted that, but I could see experimental or abstract horror games playing with poor performance to achieve some kind of emotional or other response from the player.

I haven't played it, but I'm aware of a horror game where you explore a long since dead and shuttered mmo. I could see such a game accomplishing something in the atmosphere by presenting a more rugged performance for the player to navigate and investigate in.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are potentials for utilizing poor frame rate, res, tearing, etc in an artistic manner. I do not think Deadly Premonition 2 attempted that, but I could see experimental or abstract horror games playing with poor performance to achieve some kind of emotional or other response from the player.

I haven't played it, but I'm aware of a horror game where you explore a long since dead and shuttered mmo. I could see such a game accomplishing something in the atmosphere by presenting a more rugged performance for the player to navigate and investigate in.
That's a good point, there are definitely cases where the technical framework and the artistic vision are used in concert like that. And you're right that separating the two is overly simplistic and probably impossible, it's just my way of enjoying a game that has technical issues.

But I don't think there's any way to argue that that was the intention behind the state in which DP2 released, especially now that they are changing it step by step via patches. The game would have referenced it in some way if that was Swery's vision and it's nowhere in the text of his work.

To pick up on that one reviewer's take, to me the launch version of DP2 is a beautiful, original painting that's worth seeking out. But it hangs in an old rundown museum on the top of a huge, poorly accessible mountain. The museum has random visitor hours that aren't publicized and the normally friendly staff could kick you out without warning at any point during your visit. They also only let you watch that painting through a tinted, broken glass and sometimes activate strobe lights for no reason.

I guess one could make the argument that DP2 runs so much worse outside than indoors to symbolize the sweltering Louisiana heat that's giving York headaches and the constant feeling of uneasiness because he's being watched in a town owned and run by the suspicious Clarksons. One could make the argument that Swery chose to make the player feel that way through the horrible framerate and stuttering, but I'm not gonna be that person, haha.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not shitting on the technical side of game development. It's an art in itself that is most successful when it frames the game content in the best light possible and slowly bleeds into the background during the experience. And in some cases, the tech is the magnet that pulls you to a game more than its content (e.g. Shinen games on Wii or 3DS). The core technical presentation is the architecture and layout of the museum in my admittedly super reductive way of thinking about this.

Last edited: