• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 85-100

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 36 3.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 160 14.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 274 25.2%
  • 65-69

Votes: 335 30.8%
  • 60-65

Votes: 102 9.4%
  • under 60

Votes: 128 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
65. Like the previous game and going by the gameplay footage, it seems to be pretty janky which I think is going to put a lot of people off. Probably going to be yet another cult hit that i'll probably love.

Edit:

I've talked with a couple who are reviewing it and a couple who are playing it who got it early (all who thankfully didn't spoil me on stuff, I just am curious as excited).

It probably will score similarly to the first game with one crevice. So the biggest problem of this game by far is the tech issues, it's definitely going to have to drag the game down. The frame rate is all over the place, some sections run a fluid 60fps, some fluctuate rapidly and the streets of Le Carre often are in the 15 FPS zone. Even people that like the game will probably take notice and will detract a bit for this as it sometimes gets in the way of enjoyment. I know many who enjoy the game can look past that, but especially when reviewing there is no ignoring how badly performing this game is.

Outside of that, I've heard from pretty much everyone the characters are endearing, the story is great and a near perfect continuation of the first game, and there is areas the game improves itself in, some in bigger ways and some in smaller. A few examples I've heard:
-The combat is a BIT better, it's still pretty standard but the actual levels are designed a bit better, there's a bit more mechanically going on (in a good way), there's no really annoying enemies like the crawlers in the first game. Nothing to write home about, but servicable and a slight improvement.
-Music is amazing, I've heard from nearly everyone it has a soundtrack that's possibly even better than the original.
-The mini-games are more involved and fun this time.
-Most mechanics people wanted to return (shaving, stinky outfit fun, people in Le Carre having their daily routines you can follow etc) are back.
-The game cut down on some of its bullshittier elements, like the really long QTE sequences (actually sounds like they cut down a LOT on QTEs in general).
-The map is thankfully much improved from DP1.

There's some areas some may see as positive or negative though:
-The town you explore is a lot smaller than Greenvale. That does mean it's more condensed as well, but this may be a pro or con depending on who you're asking.
-Skateboarding I've heard mixed things about, it's kinda' hilarious but the physics for it are very wonky.
-I've heard some back-and-forth things on the side-quests. that element I know less about.

I have heard the game length is comparable to the first, main story is a bit shorter (but not by much, and a big reason it's shorter may simply be because the time you spend in the town is shorter because it's more condensed), and there's a lot of extra content that can easily add a lot more to play time.

It sounds like people who like Deadly Premonition will like the sequel, maybe even love it, and there is improvements... Buuuuuut it's very much Deadly Premonition, the tech problems definitely will affect the score, and even though there's improvements, there's not a whole lot in earnest, so how a very similar game will be received a decade later? We'll find out I guess.

Of course, fans of the original probably just want another game like Deadly Premonition with a few improvements, so that may not be a problem for people interested in this anyways and might actually be a good thing.

Curious what I'll end up thinking and where reviews will land on this one (probably all over the place but skewed a bit worse due to the frame rate/crashing problems the game has), but hearing these four other people's non-spoiler opinions has been fun.

Welp...now i'm sold for sure now. Hyped!

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've talked with a couple who are reviewing it and a couple who are playing it who got it early (all who thankfully didn't spoil me on stuff, I just am curious as excited).

It probably will score similarly to the first game with one crevice. So the biggest problem of this game by far is the tech issues, it's definitely going to have to drag the game down. The frame rate is all over the place, some sections run a fluid 60fps, some fluctuate rapidly and the streets of Le Carre often are in the 15 FPS zone. Even people that like the game will probably take notice and will detract a bit for this as it sometimes gets in the way of enjoyment. I know many who enjoy the game can look past that, but especially when reviewing there is no ignoring how badly performing this game is.

Outside of that, I've heard from pretty much everyone the characters are endearing, the story is great and a near perfect continuation of the first game, and there is areas the game improves itself in, some in bigger ways and some in smaller. A few examples I've heard:
-The combat is a BIT better, it's still pretty standard but the actual levels are designed a bit better, there's a bit more mechanically going on (in a good way), there's no really annoying enemies like the crawlers in the first game. Nothing to write home about, but servicable and a slight improvement.
-Music is amazing, I've heard from nearly everyone it has a soundtrack that's possibly even better than the original.
-Most mechanics people wanted to return (shaving, stinky outfit fun, people in Le Carre having their daily routines you can follow etc) are back.
-The game cut down on some of its bullshittier elements, like the really long QTE sequences (actually sounds like they cut down a LOT on QTEs in general).

-The town you explore is a lot smaller than Greenvale. That does mean it's more condensed as well, but this may be a pro or con depending on who you're asking.
-Skateboarding I've heard mixed things about, it's kinda' hilarious but the physics for it are very wonky.
-I've heard some back-and-forth things on the side-quests. that element I know less about.

I have heard the game length is comparable to the first, main story is a bit shorter (but not by much, and a big reason it's shorter may simply be because the time you spend in the town is shorter because it's more condensed), and there's a lot of extra content that can easily add a lot more to play time.

It sounds like people who like Deadly Premonition will like the sequel, maybe even love it, and there is improvements... Buuuuuut it's very much Deadly Premonition, the tech problems definitely will affect the score, and even though there's improvements, there's not a whole lot in earnest, so how a very similar game will be received a decade later? We'll find out I guess.

Of course, fans of the original probably just want another game like Deadly Premonition with a few improvements, so that may not be a problem for people interested in this anyways and might actually be a good thing.

Curious what I'll end up thinking and where reviews will land on this one (probably all over the place but skewed a bit worse due to the frame rate/crashing problems the game has), but hearing these four other people's non-spoiler opinions has been fun.
That's really exciting. Was fearing that this would be more of a budget title than the first with a considerably shorter length, but it really does sound like a full fledged sequel.

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like I made the right decision of getting this instead of TLOU2 (lots of toxicity surrounding that game so I'll get it later when things calm down).

Curious about the story. I was expecting a self-contained storyline/"Agent York investigates yet another weird murder case" but it sounds like DP2 is a direct follow-up to the original. Is it a case of "you must play DP1 first otherwise you won't understand a thing"?

Oct 25, 2017
This might not be the best thread for it, but I want to replay Deadly Premonition on Switch, and I remember to really get the most out of the first game there were a few no brainer tips (ie do this to get fast travel, beeline to this melee item to make some enemies trivial, etc). Does anyone have a resource that had all these tips together?

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

200.gif

Sounds like Swery might've nailed the tone of the first game again.

Nov 8, 2017
If it gets more than a 70 I'm going to ask for an eShop refund. I don't even want to play it if it's not at least semi-bad.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I had to stop playing the PS3 version or the original due to the nauseatingly horrid frame rate and instead painstakingly got the PC version to run at a smooth 60 FPS. I love the first game, but if the frame rate is anything like the original on consoles, I'm gonna have to skip it.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I voted 75-79. Most people are now aware of the game's cult status and find the jank endearing, which makes me think it'll fare a bit better than the original.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I made the right decision of getting this instead of TLOU2 (lots of toxicity surrounding that game so I'll get it later when things calm down).

Curious about the story. I was expecting a self-contained storyline/"Agent York investigates yet another weird murder case" but it sounds like DP2 is a direct follow-up to the original. Is it a case of "you must play DP1 first otherwise you won't understand a thing"?
To my understanding, it's very directly connected and is a case you'll probably need to play the first game to play this one. Again I asked for no spoilers and I got none, but it was definitely suggested this is a sequel/prequel to the first game through and through.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not gonna be able to replay the game before Friday, is there a good video summing it up somewhere?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Hard one to predict. My normal guess would be 60-65 but this feels like the kind of game where reviewers are likely to going in with an idea of what to expect, so maybe... 70-74? Who knows.

Regardless, I'm pumped.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I hate Jim Sterling's content, but I'll forever be greateful for his review of the original game

I would have never played that masterpiece if it wasnt for him. Thank you, Jim!

Very excited

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first...
If you put out the junk (and oh boy there's a lot of it) its a amazing game omg
i really want to play the sequel now

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the year incoming let's fucking gooooo! Amazon will definitely be delivering late but I can't wait!

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

This sounds like almost exactly what fans of the first were asking for

Curious to see what Jim Sterling thought if he is doing a review

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly if you're getting upset about FPS, textures or other jank, save yourself time and energy... this ain't the game for you.

personally Friday can't come soon enough, DP1 is one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, I'm only worried this won't hit those highs again.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

im fully ready for performanceEra to come in this thread upon reviews and tell us this game is officially unplayable and "actually a little -too- bad" this time.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
As a massive fan of the first game 15 FPS isn't acceptable to any degree and acting like horrible performance had any part in what made deadly premonition great is idiotic. Same shit used to be pushed with the edf series and then they got 60 FPS on ps4 and pc and it was like wow a great game under the technical mess.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if in this he goes on about other stuf similar to the Tom and Jerry,tremors stuff?

ACTUAL SPOILERS, early spoilers, like the one actual spoiler I know and heard from two people (it's early in the game, but it's a moment those wanting to go in blind probably won't want to know ahead of time, and though no real plot spoilers, it's a moment I kinda' wish I didn't know about even if overall it's quite minor).

When York gets his "finger gun" with his hand tearing apart to his bone and his skin peels back on his hand, instead of horrified or anything, he is amazed, literally commenting this is just like a David Cronenberg film, and then goes on a tangent of Cronenberg, what his hand is like, and the possible science/application of his newly acquired torn flesh/mutated finger gun.

So from this one example, I'll take it that yes, there will be some weird tangent stuff from York.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
ACTUAL SPOILERS, early spoilers, like the one actual spoiler I know and heard from two people (it's early in the game, but it's a moment those wanting to go in blind probably won't want to know ahead of time, and though no real plot spoilers, it's a moment I kinda' wish I didn't know about even if overall it's quite minor).

When York gets his "finger gun" with his hand tearing apart to his bone and his skin peels back on his hand, instead of horrified or anything, he is amazed, literally commenting this is just like a David Cronenberg film, and then goes on a tangent of Cronenberg, what his hand is like, and the possible science/application of his newly acquired torn flesh/mutated finger gun.

So from this one example, I'll take it that yes, there will be some weird tangent stuff from York.
Awesome to hear thanks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might not be the best thread for it, but I want to replay Deadly Premonition on Switch, and I remember to really get the most out of the first game there were a few no brainer tips (ie do this to get fast travel, beeline to this melee item to make some enemies trivial, etc). Does anyone have a resource that had all these tips together?
check out the tips in this post.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Oh no, i thought the game was releasing tomorrow, but it's actually the day after

my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been using this gamefaqs guide
It goes through all the essential stuff to get and even tells when you when you've done all necessary stuff to make things easier for yourself in the switch version.

Big tip though, save everytime you can and enable auto-save in the options, ive had some unfortunate game crashes that lost me over an hour or two of progress on the switch version.

And try and do everything you can during your first run-through of a chapter (the guide helps with that) because if you are doing a chapter replay you cant save.

The constant fear of crashing made the game extremely tense for me trying to do the stuff to make things easier haha.
That being said, the game had an update yesterday and during my entire 4-5 playtime yesterday the game didn't crash which is anecdotal but maybe the update helped

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Already got my alarm set for 4am on Friday morning so I can play some before the family gets up, the things I do for gaming haha.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The FPS can be 1 as long as the game doesn't:
A) Consistently crash
B) Fuck up your save file

Legit have been trying to play the original game for over a year, the furthest I got was last time I played, where I got to Chapter 6 and then I had some problem (don't remember exactly what it was) with the main quest not progressing.
I'm going to try it again one more time on the PC version with DPFix 0.9.5. Really want to play it myself, I watched an LP a few years back and I don't really remember much of the game, I think the LP I watched largely skipped side quests too.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
surely all reviews of dp2 will give it 90+ for its innovative 23fps

i know as a fan of the original i certainly will

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using this gamefaqs guide
It goes through all the essential stuff to get and even tells when you when you've done all necessary stuff to make things easier for yourself in the switch version.

Big tip though, save everytime you can and enable auto-save in the options, ive had some unfortunate game crashes that lost me over an hour or two of progress on the switch version.

And try and do everything you can during your first run-through of a chapter (the guide helps with that) because if you are doing a chapter replay you cant save.

The constant fear of crashing made the game extremely tense for me trying to do the stuff to make things easier haha.
That being said, the game had an update yesterday and during my entire 4-5 playtime yesterday the game didn't crash which is anecdotal but maybe the update helped
Thank you both! :)