• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 85-100

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 36 3.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 160 14.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 274 25.2%
  • 65-69

Votes: 335 30.8%
  • 60-65

Votes: 102 9.4%
  • under 60

Votes: 128 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
So why are people hoping the game is as bad as the first? I'm sure some people are ironic, but I see many posts that are along the lines of "the worse it looks at plays, the better". Doesn't Swery now have the resources to make something more acceptable? I've read his tweet calling someone a troll for saying the frame rate is bad and needs to be fixed, and that's infuriating to me. If any other developer released a game in that state, he would be torn to shreds. But when Swery does it it's charming. Shouldn't fans of the first game want the sequel to actually accomplish what the first game couldn't, instead of asking for another bad game with good ideas?
Other developers don't make games like Swery does. I think that he himself knows best: They probably could spend more time on making the game run, look and play better, but they know that they don't have the resources to make a game that could be successful because of those metrics. He puts his effort into other places, trying to make his games as memorable and as unique as possible. And I think that works. Once you are done with the first game you don't remember the dull moments, you remember the charming character and odd details.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Are Suda and Swery fans the only gamers who don´t care about magic numbers from publications most of us likely don´t follow? Who else has been set free?
Yoko Taro arguably counts even if Nier 2 ended up winning GOTYs.

I can name auteur directors like Lars von Trier, Michael Bayham, Neil Breen or Zack Snyder who clearly moved above and beyond what film critics think and Swery´s main man David Lynch is in that very club. And how!
www.denofgeek.com

Looking back at Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

A box-office failure, David Lynch's Fire Walk With Me divided critics in 1992. James looks back at a surreal cult film...
When Vincent Canby famously described Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) as "…not the worst movie ever made; it just seems to be," the renowned US critic was merely reflecting the overwhelming response to David Lynch's big-screen prequel to his recently canceled TV show.
Put that on a VHS!
score.jpg

/10

Edit: A deleted scene from the flawed masterpiece. Traces of it are still in the 1992 cut. Movie making can´t get much wilder. Director´s Cut when?
I have the fury of my own momentum indeed. Fire Walk With Me was one of the most despised Hollywood films of the 90s for like 1,5 decades and killed its own sequels but TP S3 is heavily influenced by it. Art won in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I am able to finish rewatching Twin Peaks (still got the movie and the third season to go) and True Detective before the game comes out...

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably anywhere between 60/70, I'm on the lower end of that range. But lord I'm excited for it!

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I expect this game to review terribly yet I have never been more excited for a game. Like I expect garbage but garbage that I'll fall in love with.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There'll be fans of the original and Swery's other work reviewing the sequel, so I think there'll be a slight bump. It will probably be held back by complaints about performance.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I just know that it'll be woefully underrated, as I feel like a maximum of 100 might not be able to express the scores this game will deserve

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've talked with a couple who are reviewing it and a couple who are playing it who got it early (all who thankfully didn't spoil me on stuff, I just am curious as excited).

It probably will score similarly to the first game with one crevice. So the biggest problem of this game by far is the tech issues, it's definitely going to have to drag the game down. The frame rate is all over the place, some sections run a fluid 60fps, some fluctuate rapidly and the streets of Le Carre often are in the 15 FPS zone. Even people that like the game will probably take notice and will detract a bit for this as it sometimes gets in the way of enjoyment. I know many who enjoy the game can look past that, but especially when reviewing there is no ignoring how badly performing this game is.

Outside of that, I've heard from pretty much everyone the characters are endearing, the story is great and a near perfect continuation of the first game, and there is areas the game improves itself in, some in bigger ways and some in smaller. A few examples I've heard:
-The combat is a BIT better, it's still pretty standard but the actual levels are designed a bit better, there's a bit more mechanically going on (in a good way), there's no really annoying enemies like the crawlers in the first game. Nothing to write home about, but servicable and a slight improvement.
-Music is amazing, I've heard from nearly everyone it has a soundtrack that's possibly even better than the original.
-The mini-games are more involved and fun this time.
-Most mechanics people wanted to return (shaving, stinky outfit fun, people in Le Carre having their daily routines you can follow etc) are back.
-The game cut down on some of its bullshittier elements, like the really long QTE sequences (actually sounds like they cut down a LOT on QTEs in general).
-The map is thankfully much improved from DP1.

There's some areas some may see as positive or negative though:
-The town you explore is a lot smaller than Greenvale. That does mean it's more condensed as well, but this may be a pro or con depending on who you're asking.
-Skateboarding I've heard mixed things about, it's kinda' hilarious but the physics for it are very wonky.
-I've heard some back-and-forth things on the side-quests. that element I know less about.

I have heard the game length is comparable to the first, main story is a bit shorter (but not by much, and a big reason it's shorter may simply be because the time you spend in the town is shorter because it's more condensed), and there's a lot of extra content that can easily add a lot more to play time.

It sounds like people who like Deadly Premonition will like the sequel, maybe even love it, and there is improvements... Buuuuuut it's very much Deadly Premonition, the tech problems definitely will affect the score, and even though there's improvements, there's not a whole lot in earnest, so how a very similar game will be received a decade later? We'll find out I guess.

Of course, fans of the original probably just want another game like Deadly Premonition with a few improvements, so that may not be a problem for people interested in this anyways and might actually be a good thing.

Curious what I'll end up thinking and where reviews will land on this one (probably all over the place but skewed a bit worse due to the frame rate/crashing problems the game has), but hearing these four other people's non-spoiler opinions has been fun.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I've talked with a couple who are reviewing it and a couple who are playing it who got it early (all who thankfully didn't spoil me on stuff, I just am curious as excited).

It probably will score similarly to the first game with one crevice. So the biggest problem of this game by far is the tech issues, it's definitely going to have to drag the game down. The frame rate is all over the place, some sections run a fluid 60fps, some fluctuate rapidly and the streets of Le Carre often are in the 15 FPS zone. Even people that like the game will probably take notice and will detract a bit for this as it sometimes gets in the way of enjoyment. I know many who enjoy the game can look past that, but especially when reviewing there is no ignoring how badly performing this game is.

Outside of that, I've heard from pretty much everyone the characters are endearing, the story is great and a near perfect continuation of the first game, and there is areas the game improves itself in, some in bigger ways and some in smaller. A few examples I've heard:
-The combat is a BIT better, it's still pretty standard but the actual levels are designed a bit better, there's a bit more mechanically going on (in a good way), there's no really annoying enemies like the crawlers in the first game. Nothing to write home about, but servicable and a slight improvement.
-Music is amazing, I've heard from nearly everyone it has a soundtrack that's possibly even better than the original.
-Most mechanics people wanted to return (shaving, stinky outfit fun, people in Le Carre having their daily routines you can follow etc) are back.
-The game cut down on some of its bullshittier elements, like the really long QTE sequences (actually sounds like they cut down a LOT on QTEs in general).

-The town you explore is a lot smaller than Greenvale. That does mean it's more condensed as well, but this may be a pro or con depending on who you're asking.
-Skateboarding I've heard mixed things about, it's kinda' hilarious but the physics for it are very wonky.
-I've heard some back-and-forth things on the side-quests. that element I know less about.

I have heard the game length is comparable to the first, main story is a bit shorter (but not by much, and a big reason it's shorter may simply be because the time you spend in the town is shorter because it's more condensed), and there's a lot of extra content that can easily add a lot more to play time.

It sounds like people who like Deadly Premonition will like the sequel, maybe even love it, and there is improvements... Buuuuuut it's very much Deadly Premonition, the tech problems definitely will affect the score, and even though there's improvements, there's not a whole lot in earnest, so how a very similar game will be received a decade later? We'll find out I guess.

Of course, fans of the original probably just want another game like Deadly Premonition with a few improvements, so that may not be a problem for people interested in this anyways and might actually be a good thing.

Curious what I'll end up thinking and where reviews will land on this one (probably all over the place but skewed a bit worse due to the frame rate/crashing problems the game has), but hearing these four other people's non-spoiler opinions has been fun.
This is all great to hear (minus the tech issues). Super excited.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm just excited to see what Swery delivers. Expecting tons of True Detective/Rust Cohle references.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GOTY.

Shame about the performance issues, I might wait and see if they'll release some patches to try alleviating it before playing.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the info.

I guess it seems like it will be a worthy sequel. I can't believe a sequel is reality!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
*Reading Dusk Golem's summary

Awwwww yiiisssss I wil enjoy this game a lot. Friday can't come soon enough.