• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay my Twin Peaks wall got ready in time! Deadly Premonition 2, here i come!

09e2e9cf-ad2f-48f5-937j99.jpeg
Just want to say that this is wonderful.

Captain_Cold

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently the option is just plain missing despite the message

Damn, really? I fully expected jank and technical issues - some of which add to the charm - but this is another level. I can't play games that don't include the option to invert the camera.

I was looking forward to starting this after work but now I'll just have to wait for a patch, whenever that may come.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I just finished Cat People 1982 as it is the inciting incident of the plot. Holy shit is it a slog. Not recommended but at least I finally saw it. Paul Schrader movies are so eclectic in range and I can kinda see why York views it as "realistic". Malcolm McDowell sucks in the film but looks like a young Michael Shannon. 5/10
It´s theme isn´t Bowie´s best but good. So strange.
www.youtube.com

David Bowie - Cat People

A great David Bowie song

The game has many of the old tracks deathsaber. Some are diegetic. The new soundtrack is actually good good and not bad good.

Forgot: The original Cat People (1942) ain´t bad. Nothing special but very influential on the genre. I wonder if York saw it? Probably too artsy.

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm really tempted to get it. At the same time, I have a feeling it will be on sale. Still, I have to wonder how hard it will be to find a physical copy in a few months so I'll probably but the bullet. But I won't touch it for a while. Out of any other game out this year, it's a miracle DP2 exists.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
So I got the radio from Melvin early on but it's not in my inventory and can't use it.

I assume it's similar to how it's used in the first game. Anyone know what I might be missing?

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
If anyone else is having 3+ minute load times, switching the install location from my microSD to system memory cut mine down a lot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I got the radio from Melvin early on but it's not in my inventory and can't use it.

I assume it's similar to how it's used in the first game. Anyone know what I might be missing?
key items are in a different menu, look around in the red room and you'll find it. and:
Fast travel isn't the radio this time around. it's activated via another side mission that automatically unlocks when you return to the hotel after you visit the Clarkson's food supply. It involves those tires you see with the balloons.

If anyone else is having 3+ minute load times, switching the install location from my microSD to system memory cut mine down a lot.
thanks for the tip. i need to do that.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I think I'm going to put this aside for awhile and hope for a patch that improves performance. I'm sort of enjoying it but the current state of it is taking a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Cat People 1982 as it is the inciting incident of the plot. Holy shit is it a slog. Not recommended but at least I finally saw it. Paul Schrader movies are so eclectic in range and I can kinda see why York views it as "realistic". Malcolm McDowell sucks in the film but looks like a young Michael Shannon. 5/10
It´s theme isn´t Bowie´s best but good. So strange.
www.youtube.com

David Bowie - Cat People

A great David Bowie song

The game has many of the old tracks deathsaber. Some are diegetic. The new soundtrack is actually good good and not bad good.

Forgot: The original Cat People (1942) ain´t bad. Nothing special but very influential on the genre. I wonder if York saw it? Probably too artsy.

That's a harsh take on Cat People but York also takes an early shot at 2001 in favor of 2010. He's a weird dude with weird opinions.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Must have missed the thread. And only 5GB? Is this game really short?

Here's the thread combining everything:

www.resetera.com

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise | Review Thread

Metacritic (56) OpenCritic (61) Jim Sterling (no score, video review) Whitney Plays (no score, video review) Polygon (no score): Kotaku (no score): Eurogamer (no score): The Verge (no score): Nintendad (no score, video): DEAD XP (no score): Entertainium (no score): Digitally...

No idea on length, I've stopped playing after two hours until they patch it.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Here's the thread combining everything:

www.resetera.com

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise | Review Thread

Metacritic (56) OpenCritic (61) Jim Sterling (no score, video review) Whitney Plays (no score, video review) Polygon (no score): Kotaku (no score): Eurogamer (no score): The Verge (no score): Nintendad (no score, video): DEAD XP (no score): Entertainium (no score): Digitally...

No idea on length, I've stopped playing after two hours until they patch it.

Okay. Thanks. And yeah I'm seeing a lot of people complain about performance. Shame.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Okay. Thanks. And yeah I'm seeing a lot of people complain about performance. Shame. And digital only? Ugh.

Performance was really bumming me out, I have to say, but I was gritting my teeth and getting through it. Then the game crashed and I was like, you know what, I legit love so much about this right now that I just can't continue for the moment. I'll wait to see what the patches look like and make a dent in my Switch backlog in the meantime.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Only played an hour, barely scratched the surface, but boy is it a joy to be back with Agent Morgan

That's a harsh take on Cat People but York also takes an early shot at 2001 in favor of 2010. He's a weird dude with weird opinions.
His monologue about how Michel Bay's The Island going to change cinema had me dying

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
A side mission is supposed to open up after I return to the hotel from inspecting the food supply. But I just got to the hotel and don't see it. Where should I be looking?

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
His monologue about how Michel Bay's The Island going to change cinema had me dying

York continues to be a gloriously engaging protagonist. The dialogue in this might be even better than the first so far. They front load a lot of the lunchtime discussion writing style from DP1 into the actual intro and act 1 gameplay this time around instead of starting with awful combat.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Whats wrong with performance? Is it sub HD and under 30fps with pacing problems?

It feels like sub 15fps and looks hideous in the open world. "Pacing problems" makes most people think of Bloodborne where a more apt comparison is flipping through screenshots. This is the first time since 1998 I've been able to count frames in real time.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
It feels like sub 15fps and looks hideous in the open world. "Pacing problems" makes most people think of Bloodborne where a more apt comparison is flipping through screenshots. This is the first time since 1998 I've been able to count frame in real time.

Ouch. I'll wait on a purchase then. Hope they bother with fixing it.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Finding the water valve was a confusing quest

but finding the spinach !!! oh my god

And i have two more items to find for sidequests and not a single walkthrough in sight for it ;_;

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first game where the frame rate + perspective while skating have teamed up to just make me feel unwell. I really hope they address it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the horrible framerate (it's even worse than the oriignal game) I really enjoy it. It's 100% Deadly Premonition. Still on the first day, though.

I'm trying to do the hotel shower side quest and it tells me I should talk to the bell boy. But I can't ring the bell at the bell boy desk as Dave is standing only at the other desk. What am I doing wrong? How I can summon him? Does anyone know?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) starts off pretty good but loses itself toward the halfway mark Net_Wrecker. 6/10 The book is better but Clarke liked the film even if he wasn´t involved with it. Both versions of 2001 are a 10/10 with the "companion novel" by Arthur C. Clarke explaining everything in detail. Including the ending. Clarke co-wrote the screenplay and his explanation of the 3rd act is confirmed canon by Kubrick.

deadlypremonition.fandom.com

Film References in Deadly Premonition

Deadly Premonition's charm partly comes from its awareness and discussion of 1970's, 80's and 90's cinema. This is a list of films mentioned in the game: A Clockwork Orange (1971) Alligator (1980) An American Werewolf in London (1981) Arachnophobia (1990) Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1978)...
York´s cinematic opinions in DP 2 are much more out there this time. He was just a hardcore movie buff like me last time but he is full-blown critic jail worthy this time. I love it. He was rambling about the Cat People remake and Blue Thunder even in the first game btw. At the very end:
www.youtube.com

At the Movies with York AND Zach (Deadly Premonition)

York discusses some of his favorite films with Zach.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it turned out the game order wasn't delayed and they sent me a message to pick it up.

I have played it for a while and it is great to return to the world of Deadly Premonition and meet York again. I gotta say though, the first game was more interesting compared to this so far. It was way more magical and paced better.

The standout characters so far are Patti and Aaliyah.
I felt really sad seeing the state Zach was in. Seems he had it really rough after York left him. Poor guy.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Outside of the horrible framerate (it's even worse than the oriignal game) I really enjoy it. It's 100% Deadly Premonition. Still on the first day, though.

I'm trying to do the hotel shower side quest and it tells me I should talk to the bell boy. But I can't ring the bell at the bell boy desk as Dave is standing only at the other desk. What am I doing wrong? How I can summon him? Does anyone know?
How do I get the bellboy to appear so I can fix the shower

It only counts when you talk to them without using the bell i think
You gotta be in the hotel at specific time frames, bellboy appears sometime in the morning, chef in the evening

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
It only counts when you talk to them without using the bell i think
You gotta be in the hotel at specific time frames, bellboy appears sometime in the morning, chef in the evening

Ah, thank you very much! Figured it must be a time thing. Good to know, thank you!

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game so far. Is there any way to mark side quests on the map as in the original, though? I don't know where I have to do most of them.

And...do characters go to diferent places depending on the time (as in the original)? I have played up to the bowling alley, but nothing appears on the map, unlike DP1, where every character was marked on it.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Even attempting to ignore the atrocious performance ruining the experience, I'm pretty disappointed in this so far.

Every character being so extremely wacky makes it feel more like D4 than DP. York feels kinda flanderized with every second line being a movie reference, it also kinda lacks all the attempts at atmosphere of the original, with boring long-ass static conversations without even auto advancing dialogue.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even attempting to ignore the atrocious performance ruining the experience, I'm pretty disappointed in this so far.

Every character being so extremely wacky makes it feel more like D4 than DP. York feels kinda flanderized with every second line being a movie reference, it also kinda lacks all the attempts at atmosphere of the original, with boring long-ass static conversations without even auto advancing dialogue.
I really hate that most of the dialogue doesn't auto play/continue unless there's an option I'm missing
I really wish they would auto play. I hate having to press to continue and the fully voiced (atleast so far) dialogue makes the auto advancing feel missed.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played for a few hours now, dunno how I entirely feel just yet. Makes me feel weirdly nostalgic for the first game in a way? DP1 just kind of throws you into everything while here it took what felt like forever to actually take control. Framerate is atrocious, I don't know how they thought they could launch it in this state. I'm hoping for the story to grab me since I heard mostly good things, but right now the writing isn't vibing with me as much as the original.