• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Man just finished the initial scene and the true opening is a wild ride. Was not expecting any of the live action footage used. Is it similar to true detective? (never seen it)

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Man just finished the initial scene and the true opening is a wild ride. Was not expecting any of the live action footage used. Is it similar to true detective? (never seen it)
Definitely inspired by it, but it reminded me even more of the True Blood opening (HBO vampire show, also set in Louisiana) mixed with a Bond opening. Here's the two opening credits:

edit: the True Blood video is somewhat NSFW

Last edited:

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Just watch some scene on stream. Holy shit the dialogue is even better than the first game.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I started playing it and i'm about 3 hours in, don't know what's wrong with the reviews, i'm loving it so far, it feels just like the first one with great characters, dialogues and story, of course performance and gameplay are bad but that's to be expected for the DP sequel

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything I read and see about this game makes me want to play it.

...but the performance just looks too rough for now. I'll wait for a patch, buy when it comes or get tired of waiting and buy anyway if it doesn't.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything is exactly what I expected. I agree with the user who said that the dialogue is even better this time around, I'm really enjoying every little conversation. However, I also need to be honest, the framework is worse than expected. I have a high tolerance for those things on consoles, but this time it really feels like a slideshow. I don't know how but they managed to dethrone Drakengard 3 in the bad framerate department.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Drakengard 3 dropped to 0 FPS for a second or two every time you dismembered a big enemy which was.......constantly so hopefully this doesn't have freezes like that but yeah even in the opening walking down the hall it was 20 FPS at most. People were not kidding the frame rate is atrocious

And oh my god literally everything shimmers

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only an hour in, and have barely gotten to the part where it's a video game, but I am loving it so far. Some really heavy D4 vibes at the beginning did multiple reasons. It's crazy to be nostalgic for both Deadly Premonition AND D4 at the same time, lol.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Drakengard 3 dropped to 0 FPS for a second or two every time you dismembered a big enemy which was.......constantly so hopefully this doesn't have freezes like that but yeah even in the opening walking down the hall it was 20 FPS at most. People were not kidding the frame rate is atrocious

And oh my god literally everything shimmers

Well, I'm so sorry to inform you, but it does freeze like that sometimes. It happened quite a bit while skateboarding, framerate goes down to 0 then back up after a split second.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got about 3 hours in. MAN the framerate is even worse than I thought, it on top of being low has frequent outright stutters and hangups for a second or so.

Been liking the conversations and general zaniness otherwise, but that's...beyond rough. The game seems finicky with conversations on the skateboard too, seems like if you collide into something it just cuts them talking completely.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for about 2 hours and definitely love it. The game runs rough in the open areas but it really doesn't bother me. The games dialogue seems to be an improvement over DP1 and really enjoying the characters I've met so far.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The frame rate is not great outside, but I haven't had any combat yet so it honestly didn't bother that much as I already know to expect it.

The dialogue is great so far, but genuinely a bit disappointed you can't do simple tricks with the skateboard though.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Probably not the best place to ask but was there a smash bros reference in the first game originally or was it added in the switch port because I just found it last night lol

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Cigarettes only pass time for 2 hours? Was trying to pass time for a longer period and it kept stopping after 2 hours don't remember it being that way in DP1

all the movies referenced in the game

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm still very early on (3 hours in), but I'm making this list of all the movies referenced in the game as I go along. It's obviously not complete and I'll keep updating it myself, but please let me know if there's anything I missed or of that you've seen referenced in a later part of the game.

letterboxd.com

Movies referenced in Deadly Premonition 2

A list of all movies mentioned by name in Deadly Premonition 2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still very early on (3 hours in), but I'm making this list of all the movies referenced in the game as I go along. It's obviously not complete and I'll keep updating it myself, but please let me know if there's anything I missed or of that you've seen referenced in a later part of the game.

letterboxd.com

Movies referenced in Deadly Premonition 2

A list of all movies mentioned by name in Deadly Premonition 2.
great job! threadmarked

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The tutorial about passing time begins with "In this game, time is a flat circle". It somehow just keeps getting more and more like True Detective.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A few hours in and I've had a big smile on my face for most of it. I guess that means I'm enjoying the game. Loving the dialogue, Patricia and Melvin are great and so far it's nailing the True Detective vibes just as much as the first game nailed Twin Peaks. I also read a few reviews that said the town feels lifeless and lacks atmosphere and I straight up disagree with that.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Super late to the party, but...

I'm finally playing though the original game (which I bought before the sale like a chump) and I already want to get this one. It's so inexplicably engaging, and unlike what I was led to believe by its reputation of being so bad it's good and comparisons to The Room, I actually think it is a legitimately well-realized game with a great story and characters whose reach massively exceeds its grasp often and yet is all the better for it.

The townspeople didn't need to have their own daily routines and York didn't need the ability to peek into nearly every house or building like a creep, but they do and you can. It's ambitious in a way that's still admirable, and the good and the bad aspects of it are so intertwined that they just become part of the same weird endearing experience that just exists outside any form of regular criticism. So far I'm really, really liking it.

I just hope I'm not completely burnt out by the time I finish it so that I can jump right into the second one. It looks great despite the framerate.

Oct 25, 2017
This went from a day one to a wait and see/likely cancel due to how badly this game handles race and trans topics. Only saw two reviewers mention it, so I believe it's there but am looking for more info and context on just how bad it is. Hopefully I can get my $15 Best Buy reward certificates back.
Apparently it's there in a story context (At least from what I heard from other people playing the game further than I have), but for what it's worth at least the first mention of the character in question (an NPC refers to them as "not a normal woman") York immediately chastises them for their prejudice.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's there in a story context (At least from what I heard from other people playing the game further than I have), but for what it's worth at least the first mention of the character in question (an NPC refers to them as "not a normal woman") York immediately chastises them for their prejudice.
Yeah, this lines up with what I heard from Jim Sterling's review but that it unfortunately gets worse from there. Still waiting and seeing, appreciate the response!

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Is there a day limit or I don't need to worry about that? I don't like the feeling of letting a full day go by doing almost nothing but some of the time frames for the quests leave me no choice.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a day limit or I don't need to worry about that? I don't like the feeling of letting a full day go by doing almost nothing but some of the time frames for the quests leave me no choice.
if it's anything like the original, you can ignore the mission time frames and just do them the next day

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Noo!

GameStop Ireland cancelled my pre-order today that I made months ago, apparently they won't be stocking the game(!).

No Irish retailers seem to be stocking the game actually.. I fear this game might have gotten silently banned by the Irish Ratings Board similar to other games like AI: Somnium Files. (pure speculation on my part).

UK importing the physical edition instead now. Man I was looking forward to this game so badly and GameStop as of yesterday was still taking pre-orders for the game. I want the physical copy.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon says my copy is out for delivery tomorrow! Excited to check it out in all its glory, just hoping the writing is solid.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Noo!

GameStop Ireland cancelled my pre-order today that I made months ago, apparently they won't be stocking the game(!).

No Irish retailers seem to be stocking the game actually.. I fear this game might have gotten silently banned by the Irish Ratings Board similar to other games like AI: Somnium Files. (pure speculation on my part).

UK importing the physical edition instead now. Man I was looking forward to this game so badly and GameStop as of yesterday was still taking pre-orders for the game. I want the physical copy.
It's still available digitally in Ireland (unlike AI the Somnium files, which was very frustrating!) so I doubt it was banned. That is very odd though.

Edit: Swery loves you https://twitter.com/swery65/status/1281552263157178368?s=21

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Just got out of the hotel and walked around a bit. It's definitely Deadly Premonition! York is great as always, and his somewhat more upbeat vibes make him feel even more like Dale Cooper. Everyone in this town is weird as hell but Patty seems pretty cool. The intro with Aaliyah and all was also great. Raised SO MANY questions. Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

I will say, I had one really strange soft lock before even leaving the hotel. I at one point had I guess two copies of the same cutscene running on top of each other. All the dialog was doubled and one man had another copy of himself inside him following his movements. When I loaded out of the cutscene the screen was black, though I could press A to hear York interact with things. Luckily there was an autosave at the end of the cutscene so it wasn't a big deal. Save frequently, folks!

Mar 19, 2020
Played a little bit more on my lunch break. The open areas are incredibly rough. Much worse than I remember the original being. It really needs to be patched.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Ok after playing for about 4 hours I've ran into 2 bugs where I can no longer continue and had to restart. One was transitioning into a cutscene but froze and the other wouldn't let me complete the mission as the UI was stuck. Needs a patch