• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's killing people who are already weak and ill which is unfortunate but it's not going to kill a healthy person.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Whew, Thank God my Japan trip in not til Oct. They will get this shit sorted before the summer games

Stay safe everyone else

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that'll probably get some mild attention/concern at work, tourism and all. Here's hoping to its containment.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason to panic, but the posts in here saying this is nothing at all are off base. The WHO don't label things on basis of hysteria, so until they conclude this is nothing to worry about (which they haven't - they've convened an emergency meeting), I'll withhold judgment. I work in healthcare, and this is potentially a big deal.

Pandemic viruses are not a joke, and they don't only harm the elderly or immune-compromised (as if that were a reason not to care)

Spanish flu (which killed 50 million people):
W_curve.png

The only reason you all feel so assured is because there are hard working public health folks all over the world whose systems have probably staved off recent pandemics. There's evidence to suggest this one will be similar - the fact that we've sequenced the virus already - but ultimately we're currently in a position where we need to see what happens and let them do their work. Don't panic, but it is definitely a potentially serious situation.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update 9 dead in China

The Wuhan coronavirus has killed 9 people and infected 440 people across mainland China, according to China's National Health Commission Minister, Li Bin.

Li ended by saying the National health Commission would not be holding any press conferences until the end of the Chinese New Year holiday next Monday.

No Chinese pressers till next Monday.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the TSA will do a great job.
Do they even have enough Mandarin speakers at every airport?
They don't need to speak Chinese to you to do the temperature scan

Edit: most international arrivals already do a simple health check /temp scan anyway... maybe not in USA but across Asia for sure. Can't remember if I've seen it in USA but probably not since our airports are all decrepit piles of shit from the olden days.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I live in China maybe 200 miles from Wuhan, no ones overly worried. It's s freaking huge country, 2000 odd people and 14 deaths is really nothing. Keeping an eye on it but unless the spread rapidly increases because of CNY I'm not going anywhere.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Boy am i glad I'm spending half of this year in Japan!

I'm not overly worried, but still.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
While people shouldn't be freaking out or canceling trips, everyone needs to be aware of the virus.

And it should be taken seriously. It will continue to spread and could overload the system. Maintaining a low infectious environment is hard.

To be honest, the rate of infection seem to be higher than what's probably thought/reported.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
South, actually it's closer to 500 miles, Wuhan is quite a bit further north than I thought. It was bought up at work and we were told to take precautions and not go to Wuhan but that's it so far. cny will be the real test of it's spreadability.

Guangxi somewhere? I should check a map lol. As far as I know, no flu yet in yunnan where I'm at. We don't have high speed rail so that helps probably.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just find panic and hysteria in these situations ridiculous. It's like million times more likely to get any other serious illness on your trip (or accident) than this flu and yet people start to cancel their trips based on this. Sure if it becomes real pandemic with tens of millions of infected the situation changes.

This. This seems to be far less lethal than SARS, and that killed 700 people worldwide (which, while sad, isn't quite the apocalypse it was made to be in the media).

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of my friends are freaking out about it. Living in Xi'an I'm a bit scared of it, it's close to Wuhan.

Let's hope it goes away quickly...

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the title states Japan as if it isn't already part of Asia.

The outbreak started in Wuhan, China. So if you want to avoid any risks, don't go to China especially since a lot of people will travel during Chinese New Year.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just find panic and hysteria in these situations ridiculous. It's like million times more likely to get any other serious illness on your trip (or accident) than this flu and yet people start to cancel their trips based on this. Sure if it becomes real pandemic with tens of millions of infected the situation changes.

This needs to be added to the OP.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Going to Thailand next month and everything is booked.

RIP me
You'll be fine, but I am glad I cancelled the trip I had booked for this period. Lunar New Year is insane in BKK, two years ago it took me 5 hours from deboarding to getting in my taxi at the airport. Literally thousands of Chinese tourists pouring into the place.
Suvarnabhumi is hardly the cleanest airport at the best of times, my anxiety would be at peak point with this mystery virus on the go too. Wash your hands and buy some handwash, you'll be fine.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What lovely news to read as I have been getting progressively sicker since bar hopping in Sydney on Friday.
Very minor so far, but the minor fever/headache and body weakness carries that "I'm gonna wreck this mans whole career after the sun goes down" feeling.

Nausea on the weekend (attributed to hangover)
Nausea subsided on Monday, replaced with lump in throat.
Throat better today, but now feel feverish, getting slightly worse over the day

Probably just the flu.

if it were the flu or coronavirus, you would know.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm in Pakistan right now where there's issued a public health warning. I don't wanna get paranoid but me and most of the family have developed really nasty coughs since a couple of weeks ago (they're all back in the UK now, it's just me out here).

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
if it were the flu or coronavirus, you would know.
Whatever It was, almost certainly not corona, and I was joking about that (mostly), I'm recovering now, and symptoms are fucking off slowly.

Last night was so much fun!
When I laid in bed It felt like laying in an oven, and everything was drenched in sweat!
And when I got out of bed to go to the bathroom or get water, I started shivering uncontrollably!
I also had these weird ass surreal dreams as I laid half unconscious.
That time I had mononucleosis aside, I hadn't felt that shit in years.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever It was, almost certainly not corona, and I was joking about that (mostly), I'm recovering now, and symptoms are fucking off slowly.

Last night was so much fun!
When I laid in bed It felt like laying in an oven, and everything was drenched in sweat!
And when I got out of bed to go to the bathroom or get water, I started shivering uncontrollably!
I also had these weird ass surreal dreams as I laid half unconscious.
That time I had mononucleosis aside, I hadn't felt that shit in years.

I had the flu over the week of Christmas, and it was basically that for five days straight. Absolutely horrible.

Glad you're recovering. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.