• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Aw shit. I live in the Toronto Area. One of my jobs is in retail where I interact with hundreds to thousands of people in a given day.

I know I've gotten infected by customers and fellow employees before. Even with me washing my hands with alcohol cleanser after every transaction.
I'm in the exact same boat lol

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Given that this seems about on par with a seasonal flu outside of being "novel" when it comes to how easily it spreads and how lethal it is, what is like the prime candidate of virus for causing a catastrophic pandemic?

Basically, when talking about it from a worst case scenario standpoint and what this thing might be good practice for, are we more afraid of something very virulent turning more deadly, or something that's already quite lethal turning very virulent, or some other type of virus?

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I have people around me driving into the boonies to buy masks, which don't work. It's insane

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Given that this seems about on par with a seasonal flu outside of being "novel" when it comes to how easily it spreads and how lethal it is, what is like the prime candidate of virus for causing a catastrophic pandemic?

Basically, when talking about it from a worst case scenario standpoint and what this thing might be good practice for, are we more afraid of something very virulent turning more deadly, or something that's already quite lethal turning very virulent, or some other type of virus?
Something that kills fast isn't as dangerous because it would burn out quickly. The most dangerous ones are the ones that have high incubation time, slow to show symptoms, slow to kill, highly contagious, high mortality rate. Worst case would be a virus with these things plus one that kills by over working a strong immune system, like the Spanish influenza, which killed a lot of young adults with healthy immune systems.
Just to put it in perspective, the seasonal flu kills around 200000 to 600000 a year worldwide.

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Something that kills fast isn't as dangerous because it would burn out quickly.

Yup! This is why ebola was never a catastrophic threat. For one, it's actually easy to contain and treat provided you have ready access to the sorts of healthcare in developed nations. But mainly, when it does kill it kills way too quickly. It doesn't have time to really spread, and its symptoms are so egregious that people avoid those who noticeably have it.

Furthermore, the numbers and stories coming in fast and hard is actually reassuring, especially those coming from more developed countries than China. Any stories that may emerge from Japan, Canada, the US, and Europe detailing 1, 2, or 3 patients here or there are a sign of the system working. The CDC and their global and international counterparts have incredibly linked networks that can identify trends, enact containment protocols, and minimize spread in a very efficient manner.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

I think virulent turning more deadly is always the biggest fear, namely our friend the flu and its siblings. Anything that has a long incubation time is always bad because that's more time to spread; even the old Pandemic flash game gave an advantage to you having high spread but not showing symptoms until everything was infected. The games where you went full lethal early always ended quick.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
And another update not even an hour later: 1975 infected, 56 dead. That's 600+ new infected confirmed within a day.

I think that might be because a week ago most people didn't even know about the virus. Before that a lot of people stayed home and recovered fine. Now everyone with a slight fever is slamming the hospitals.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
It was mostly a joke, I have a personal horror story with bats :(
How can you be afraid of those cute little creatures :)

wha1Tk0.gif

wait til people find out that smallpox killed anywhere from 350 to 500 million people in a hundred years but we still eradicated it

and even ignoring that event,
in 2017-2018 season the flu killed about 61K people just in the US alone (or ~167 people per day, and since flu is seasonal - on peak this number was much higher)

influenza-burden-chart2-960px.jpg

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is bat really that bad? It's traditional cuisine from Manado, Indonesia. My mom cook it a couple times a year for special occasion. And not for any health reason either but because it taste pretty good...

Although the way we cook it is not like that bat in a soup video. We used a lot of herb and spices, and the bat need to be prepared by blowtorch to get rid of all the little hair on the skin.

Me myself do like it, although to be honest, the spices probably add a lot of the taste, we actually sometimes cook chicken with the same method and it taste just as good.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
This is 100% China's fault. From SARs and this, this was/is preventable. Ban sales and eating of wild animals and the markets that cause this. Not only for their citizens and those worldwide.

Also, any other countries citizens and governments that participates in these practices. Why should their citizens and people abroad suffer if this can prevented in some cases? Whether in the East or West food exports and consumption should have safeguards so these things are prevented from happening.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Social media has really amplified people's fear, people in general seem to be a lot more hysterical and paranoid when compared to the SARS and MERS outbreak.

Well it's because any Doctor Joe/Joanne out there can easily make a 20+ tweet "thread" saying how this could be the end of times if not properly contained. You won't find that kind of sensationalist hogwash in the Washington Post.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is bat really that bad? It's traditional cuisine from Manado, Indonesia. My mom cook it a couple times a year for special occasion. And not for any health reason either but because it taste pretty good...

Although the way we cook it is not like that bat in a soup video. We used a lot of herb and spices, and the bat need to be prepared by blowtorch to get rid of all the little hair on the skin.

Me myself do like it, although to be honest, the spices probably add a lot of the taste, we actually sometimes cook chicken with the same method and it taste just as good.
The issue here is believed to have been that there were sick wild animals at a market that had a lot of people and other animals in it. Though as far as I know it was never confirmed for this one or even for SARS.
I had it in Laos and I think Vietnam (that was ages ago). It was fine from what I remember.

Anyway, I have no idea if you can consume it safely, but I honestly think at least in China there is no way to justify those bush meat stalls. They are all pretty much illegal, it's just that the laws weren't really enforced, at least not everywhere. I think most of the Chinese people are going to be very much behind that too. Talking to my friends and reading shit online I'm seeing mostly people being pissed that they're still people doing it and that the government haven't shut those things down already.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I know it's nowhere near this point yet, but my girlfriend works at one of the best hospitals in the US with patients from all over the world and I can't help but be a little nervous every time she goes in for a shift.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
How can you be afraid of those cute little creatures :)
I find fruit bats adorable too, but rabies. It's rabies. Get scratched or bit by a rabid bat without realizing it and/or following up and you're going to go through excruciating pain and then die. Bats are unfortunately pretty common carriers of the disease. There's not many cases per year in the US, but the majority acquired locally are from bats.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I know it's nowhere near this point yet, but my girlfriend works at one of the best hospitals in the US with patients from all over the world and I can't help but be a little nervous every time she goes in for a shift.

No need to worry though. It's in China where things are (still) out of control. Every other country has been dealing with each new reported case in the best possible way.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to get more concerned, the next couple of days with the footage in Wuhan, and if any international cases spread, could be interesting. As the official Chinese numbers are likely low, a city bigger than NY has been quarantined (WaPo says 48 million, would be the 30th largest country) and the Chinese gov seem more openly concerned.

Many people like to downplay things as much as possible, like the 737 Max thread, but always good imo to keep reassessing.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beijing is doing a "snitch on your local government" app.

Good luck reading through all of the bitching though.

I find fruit bats adorable too, but rabies. It's rabies. Get scratched or bit by a rabid bat without realizing it and/or following up and you're going to go through excruciating pain and then die. Bats are unfortunately pretty common carriers of the disease. There's not many cases per year in the US, but the majority acquired locally are from bats.
I feel flight and rabies is a combination that should be fucking banned.
Though honestly, fuck rabies in general.

Mar 26, 2018
My wife showed me the plane that was found to be the one with the Toronto guy and says it said for the ones on board to stay inside for 14 days or something. Not sure as it was in Chinese and the plane was C something.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I might recommend getting masks even if there is no cases in your current city. Here in Toronto they were entirely sold out everywhere days ago, and amazon orders are all backed up.

I understand they do very little but it's better than no mouth/nose protection, from what I understand.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Aw shit. I live in the Toronto Area. One of my jobs is in retail where I interact with hundreds to thousands of people in a given day.

I know I've gotten infected by customers and fellow employees before. Even with me washing my hands with alcohol cleanser after every transaction.

Well news said that guy didn't walk around after arriving in Toronto. Unfortunately I have zero confidence that the people on the same plane will self isolate themselves. A few of them will just ignore it and go dim sum or whatever and proceed to infect 10 times more people.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cleaning? Did you not scroll down and see the accompanying 20 videos? It's a timeline.
Oh I guess not. Just saw the first one them cleaning the stalls lol.

Edit: just watched them, a big problem is who really knows what's even a recent video, what's related to the virus, and what's random internet videos spreading that have nothing to do with it. If you spend any decent amount of time in china you've seen scenes like in all these videos firsthand plenty of times. For example,the town I live in had dengue fever scare a few months ago and the local hospital was also completely overwhelmed and crowded same as in these videos. They had to set up an annex with tons of people giving out vaccines or whatever. Just take all the videos you see with a little bit of skepticism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.