• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Mad respect for that dude to just drop everything and go to a foreign country to help them fight a war.

Even moreso considering he has a wife and young child; I don't think I'd personally be strong enough to potentially leave my daughter without a father.
I feel as if some of these guys are just looking for a reason to get back to war. I mean, it makes sense. If you spend your your adult life fighting in war, then it might hard to find something else. That being said, it is selfish. The reality is, his wife is likely not happy at all about this decision.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Those were Canadian forces who also went over to fight against ISIS.

canadian-sniper-shot-world-record-mailonline-graphic-1.jpg

That shot also had to factor in the curvature of the Earth at the time of trigger release, and took approximately 10 seconds to arrive on target from that distance.

It was confirmed a couple years ago, when news first broke about the record shot, that a McMillan TAC-50 was the weapon of choice.
If I was a paranoid "patriot" I would be closing my curtains right now. I can see downtown Bmore from my house. Clean shot if he wanted to get me from one of those towers...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wali, which means "protector" or "guardian" in Arabic, is a veteran of Canada's Afghanistan campaign in Kandahar province.
Cool how we wasn't an invader in Afghanistan, he was a "protector", who did a "campaign".

Not sure what the point of these "And there it is" comments. This isn't a milkshake duck of some famous influencer. This guys job is literally to kill specific people. He's a trained hitman. No one is saying the guy is a good person or a great hero to be admired but he is extremely efficient at his role and will be a strong asset to Ukraine and protecting its people.
A sniper is not a hitman, and it's possible to be in the military without threatening to murder your ex girlfriend.
The dude seems like a psycho, and it's generally better to not have psychos running around in a war zone, even if they are on your side. Especially if the are on your side even.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an extremely impressive record and I hope he is successful in Ukraine. No one in here is calling him a hero though.
...the thread is created to celebrate this "DEADLY CANADIAN SNIPER" going to fight Putin's army. It is fucking pathetic and embarassing from Era honestly, celebrating these fake ass "heroes". First it was the GHOST OF KVYIV and now this guy. People treating the whole thing as a Call of Duty between good guyz and bad guys is nauseating.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he can go to Ukraine and kill more Russians then I'm all for it. Dude seems to be talented as hell. Helping the Ukranians is a serious priority.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel as if some of these guys are just looking for a reason to get back to war. I mean, it makes sense. If you spend your your adult life fighting in war, then it might hard to find something else. That being said, it is selfish. The reality is, his wife is likely not happy at all about this decision.
There was an article a few days ago talking to Veterans who were volunteering and a lot of them felt it was finally a cause they could be proud of versus the wars in Iraq etc. The Ukrainian people are fighting for their freedom and democratic rule and actually want them there.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There was an article a few days ago talking to Veterans who were volunteering and a lot of them felt it was finally a cause they could be proud of versus the wars in Iraq etc. The Ukrainian people are fighting for their freedom and democratic rule and actually want them there.

Yeah, a lot of people I served with joined to fight Al Qaeda and felt like they got used and abused when Bush started the war in Iraq. A few of them have talked about Ukraine as a chance to make up for what they feel was being forced to prosecute an unjust war.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
...the thread is created to celebrate this "DEADLY CANADIAN SNIPER" going to fight Putin's army. It is fucking pathetic and embarassing from Era honestly, celebrating these fake ass "heroes". First it was the GHOST OF KVYIV and now this guy. People treating the whole thing as a Call of Duty between good guyz and bad guys is nauseating.
If he can kill high value Russian targets, especially those involved in command and control, that's a good thing. Russian leadership is the bad guys. This guy might not be "good" — I get that — but I hope his effects are.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So uhhh...

www.lapresse.ca

Wali répond à l’appel de Zelensky

L’ancien tireur d’élite des Forces armées canadiennes se joindra aux soldats ukrainiens

Je ne suis pas très enjoué à l'idée de tirer sur les Russes. C'est un peuple chrétien et européen. C'est bizarre à dire, mais il y a une certaine affinité. Intuitivement, c'est du monde qui nous ressemble plus. Je ne les déteste pas.

My rough translation:
"I don't really like the idea of shooting at the Russians. They're a Christian and European people. It's weird to say, but I have a certain affinity for them. Intuitively, they're from the world that looks like us the most. I don't hate them."

Does this mean he was more okay with the idea of shooting the non-Christians and non-Europeans he actually killed? And If he loves Christianity and Europe so much, why did he pick an Arabic tagline?

Also, I just saw this bit in the OP article
The UK Ministry of Defence warned British soldiers that they are banned from going to Ukraine.

The Sun said the 19-year-old Coldstream Guardsman wrote a goodbye letter to his parents before travelling to Poland. Authorities were racing to try and intercept them.

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, urged people not to fight in Ukraine, threatening them with the prospect of a court martial for desertion – despite foreign secretary Liz Truss initially saying she backed the idea.
Seems like a more appropriate headline might be "racist, domestic abuser war veteran ignores his government's recommendations, prepares to kill more people overseas"

"racist, domestic abuser war veteran prepares to kill more people overseas"

Edit: you are correct below, IDK why the article threw in those UK-specific details. That said, I have no idea why it would be a good idea for any government to pursue a policy of letting their civilians fight in foreign wars they are not officially involved in.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
He's from Canada not the UK, and I'm fine with people ignoring their government and going.

Look he is a bad dude, but he can kill. Especially high value targets. So I hope he does well at his job. The end goal is Ukraine defeating Russia.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a nut but I guess if he's on the right team… go get 'em? My step dads uncle was a sniper for the Canadian army many decades back. He was this hobbled old man when I met him but my step dad told me when he was a kid the uncle was the most intimidating person he'd ever met. Dude killed a lot of people apparently. Seems par for the job.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound like a great guy at all but if I had to choose between him and ISIS or Russian officers who are invading Ukraine then I'll be rooting for him.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
So uhhh...

www.lapresse.ca

L’ancien tireur d’élite des Forces armées canadiennes se joindra aux soldats ukrainiens

My rough translation:
"I don't really like the idea of shooting at the Russians. They're a Christian and European people. It's weird to say, but I have a certain affinity for them. Intuitively, they're from the world that looks like us the most. I don't hate them."

Does this mean he was more okay with the idea of shooting the non-Christians and non-Europeans he actually killed? And If he loves Christianity and Europe so much, why did he pick an Arabic tagline?

Seems like a more appropriate headline might be "racist, domestic abuser war veteran ignores his government's recommendations, prepares to kill more people overseas"
hmm-thinking.gif

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uhhh...

www.lapresse.ca

My rough translation:

holy shit

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The guy is an extremely effective killer. I'm glad he's on the right side but let's not celebrate him too much.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Another thing thing I just realized is that this dude is ex-military. Both the racist statement and the abuse allegation happened well after he left the military. IDK too much about what the behavioral standards are for the Canadian military, but I would hope that the combination of those two would prevent him from being deployed to a combat zone if he was still a soldier fighting officially for the government. It seems like the standards for getting involved in this conflict unofficially are lower, which pretty much always spells bad news when it comes to giving people guns.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

White People and cultural misappropriation - name a more iconic duo.

As someone of Asian descent I see that shit all the time.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Edit: you are correct below, IDK why the article threw in those UK-specific details. That said, I have no idea why it would be a good idea for any government to pursue a policy of letting their civilians fight in foreign wars they are not officially involved in.
Ya, it's weird especially since he served in the army. Here you are looking at up to a life sentence if you go and fight for wars the government isn't involved in

Mar 10, 2018
I sware these dudes just like killing for fun and war gives them an opportunity to do that without moral or legal repercussions.
I don't know if I'd go this far, but I will say there's a weird, glorifying tone to this thread… Like, the dude's great at blowing people's brains out. Badass, I guess? I understand it is needed, given the circumstances, but still… life ain't Call of Duty

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Thats how it reads to me and it makes me a bit uncomfortable. I guess he's got an outlet at least.
Its really something when we have an approved enemy we sanitise bloodlust.

Love how we're celebrating someone who likes the idea of shooting brown people who aren't Christian or European.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't know if I'd go this far, but I will say there's a weird, glorifying tone to this thread… Like, the dude's great at blowing people's brains out. Badass, I guess? I understand it is needed, given the circumstances, but still… life ain't Call of Duty
We'll lock it on this. Well said.

Oh, and make sure the subject of your OP isn't a racist psycho domestic abuser next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.