• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
https://deadline.com/2021/01/cinder...-2-uncharted-release-date-changes-1234678097/
The major studios waited until Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th U.S. President to make their release date changes official. Here's what Sony is doing:

Their Kay Cannon directed musical Cinderella starring Camila Cabello in the title role will open on July 16 instead of Feb. 5 as expected. Studio wants to keep the movie a theatrical release because they believe it's a real crowd pleaser.

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, like MGM's No Time to Die, is leaving Easter weekend April 2-4 behind and heading to June 11

Ghostbusters: Afterlife which the studio is also very high on, will now debut on Nov. 11 instead of June 11. Directed by Jason Reitman, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, follows a single mom and her two kids who arrive in a small town. They begin to discover their connection to the original ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind.

And their Tom Holland-Mark Wahlberg feature Uncharted based on the PlayStation videogame will open on Feb. 11, 2022 instead of July 16.
Welp, expected but still a bummer.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still expecting any movie target not set for next year is going to fall way below expectations in sales.

Oct 27, 2017
Jfc and here I was, looking forward to Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Oh well. I can wait a little more because bustin' makes me feel good 😏

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
uncharted just finished shooting in december. 6 months of post production for a blockbuster seems pretty short (if they had stuck to the july release).

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The Peter Rabbit sequel still hasn't come out? For some reason I thought it came out right before the shutdowns start going into effect.

Spidey hasn't moved which is the most interesting part.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
They're stalling and looking to dump that Cinderella movie on some streaming service.

Word is that it's very very bad.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Unsurprising. These movies need theatrical profits, and those aren't coming in any form until mid-Summer at the earliest. Curious what Disney's next move is. Do they keep Black Widow where it is, and do a Premiere Access release - or bump their entire schedule another six months?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think waiting theaters to be popular again will work.

But streaming also isn't working, so terrible situation for studios.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People were way too hopeful. I mean even back in like October I was telling family if we are lucky people in their 30s would be getting the vaccine by Summer 2021 the earliest in all likelihood. 2021 is a recovery year but not the kind for theaters etc. Just people recovery

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Between the Olympics, music festivals, and movies being moved back today feels a lot like that one week/weekend in March last year when everything changed overnight in terms of public reception of the virus.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Between the Olympics, music festivals, and movies being moved back today feels a lot like that one week/weekend in March last year when everything changed overnight in terms of public reception of the virus.
This is more dispiriting though because we're already a year in and vaccines are rolling out slowly. Movie delays are fine, we'll see them eventually, but I'm especially bummed about the outright cancellation of the Olympics.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Have they ever rescheduled quiet place 2? That was one of the first movies delayed and I don't feel like I have heard anything since.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So I'm guessing major movie theater chains are pretty much done unless a major intervention takes place...?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Have they ever rescheduled quiet place 2? That was one of the first movies delayed and I don't feel like I have heard anything since.
Still dated for April. Given how many other movies Paramount has unloaded onto streaming while still holding onto this one, seems more likely they'll try to stick to a theatrical release and just delay again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Why put Ghostbusters there? If theatres aren't safe the first week of October, they're not going to suddenly be safe a month later.

As an aside, putting that on, say, Netflix on October 31st would instantly make it one of the most watched movies of the year, due to ease of access and perfect thematic timing.

So I'm guessing major movie theater chains are pretty much done unless a major intervention takes place...?

Hopefully saving them can be in one of Biden's fixes, alongside stuff like museums and concert venues.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The AMC that was my go-to theater closed down for good a few months ago but was bought by a smaller chain of theaters. So we may lose on some bigger chains locations but I imagine theaters will survive in some form.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Theaters are a thing of the past why keep delaying them? What theaters will even be left to play at? lol.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Theaters are a thing of the past why keep delaying them? What theaters will even be left to play at? lol.

Theaters will probably get some sort of bailout. They aren't a thing of the past they will make adjustments. I don't see how they will make money off any big blockbuster title on a streaming service.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Nothing major is coming out before July unless its on streaming. And July is generous. It could be much further.

None of these delays are surprising in the least.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pahaha, you moving Peter Rabbit out of Easter Again? Oh that is rich. Just go for the home release on that one already.

You already gave up all pretenses it would be good due to hiring this guy.

giphy.gif

And movies ain't making money in the cinema at the moment unless you are in China. So why not cut the loses at this point.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
DIdnt Sony just sell that animated movie to Netflix? Wouldnt be surprised if Netflix bought some more.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Disney is going to make marvel release black widow on Disney plus.
Nobody is going to theaters this year even if there's vaccines.

im going to laugh so hard when Avatar gets delayed again

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Not sure if this can continue for as long as it's going to need to for the studios to be happy with the profits.

And they are going to continue to film movies and pile them up.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Variety was predicting a move for some films in piece published yesterday. One of those they listed was Black Widow which I see happening now after the other studios moved their Feb - May films.