• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Making the NYPD officers watch Joker instead walking around harassing people is probably for the best.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this! I haven't seen anyone talking about shootings at Joker except the media. Nowhere else have i seen anyone concerned or scared about this.

The NYPD and the FBI and the US Military are not "the media."

They all have suggested there are credible threats and have been taking precautions.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
This doesn't make sense. Wouldn't an incel with malicious intent simply cause chaos at something totally opposite The Joker? Like, wouldn't the Joker audience be full of people like themselves, or, at least potential converts? Not saying that is who the movie is targeting, or that audience comprises all of, or most of, who is interested in seeing the movie. I'm saying that with all of the attention on Joker, wouldn't incels assault during ANY other movie for maximum dreadful impact?

Constantly signal-boosting the potential for disaster at The Joker isn't only self-fulfilling, but makes it easier to shift course and do even more damage elsewhere.

Nov 1, 2017
My question about this whole thing is that if Joker is supposedly romanticizing/giving a voice to incels, why would they attack something that is being interpreted as justifying their beliefs?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly this! I haven't seen anyone talking about shootings at Joker except the media. Nowhere else have i seen anyone concerned or scared about this.
Lol. No offense but where are you hanging out either online or irl where you'd hear someone talking about a mass shooting? If there are rumblings that the FBI caught wind of I'm assuming threats were made on a dark web chan board of some sort.

Better safe than sorry when guns are so available.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The article literally said that the NYPD didn't have a credible threat.
they are just reading websites and see all the "for the lulz" stuff. it's credibility is that a lot of shooters have done this, so if the trend is a shooter is in that site audience then it's possible for this to happen. i just see it as law enforcement sort of getting what online radicalization is because every shooter is full of it so this is there way of a preemptive measure. there isn't a lot they can do to determine if an individual is a shooter unless, well, someone who knows them reports the signs, but as we know a lot of parents think their kids are good kids, so... this is what you get.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there was a credible threat to a movie theater in NYC. Such a shame. People should be able to go to the movies and just enjoy it without having the worry. Same with kids going to school.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The NYPD and the FBI and the US Military are not "the media."

They all have suggested there are credible threats and have been taking precautions.
Lol. No offense but where are you hanging out either online or irl where you'd hear someone talking about a mass shooting? If there are rumblings that the FBI caught wind of I'm assuming threats were made on a dark web chan board of some sort.

Better safe than sorry when guns are so available.
People are dumb and talk about crimes on social media all the time. What I meant by this is that I think this is probably going to amplify someone doing this. The thought of a shooting at this particular movie didn't even cross my mind. When you continue to see this in the media someone that might be a little off could get the idea that this WOULD be a good time to do it. That's what I meant, this being magnified is probably going to cause someone to get the idea to do exactly what they are warning about.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The military should put out a warning that armed police will be profiling people at the cinema. They have a much higher body count than the incels.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

You must have missed the Era threads. I've also seen people express the fear on reddit and imgur.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there was a credible threat to a movie theater in NYC. Such a shame. People should be able to go to the movies and just enjoy it without having the worry. Same with kids going to school.
a lot of shooters aren't easy to determine, though, as paper trails of guns are kind of lol. a lot of guns are registered and don't make a blip. the credibility of the threats is a pattern of a lot of these shooters doing this exact same huff and puff online just before. that's the credibility. something may not happen, but the amount of rage online and threats thrown out is what makes it credible. if they had anything concrete the person would be arrested already.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Then
This seems baffling because... by the very nature, we're applying logic.. that they'll attack a movie they are supposedly drawn to, but saying... they don't behave with reason/logic

The only reason I'm taking that sort of violence seriously is the later reports suggesting that there are more concrete plans than just "incels might do a thing, maybe, just because". It could still very well be intentional bullshit, but threats are actionable intelligence generally. Either way I'm certainly not going to play 12-dimensional chess with the sorts of people who like the dude who made the Hangover trilogy.

I mean I agree with folks saying the real way to fix this stuff is to find a way to get rid of all the guns.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I meant, this being magnified is probably going to cause someone to get the idea to do exactly what they are warning about.

The problem is that this movie's narrative (yes, I've seen it) is basically like a shooter's manifesto dramatized.

It is about an abused guy getting abused and ignored by society, committing media-amplified violence, and inspiring followers to rise up in violent protest (this is all in the trailer, really).

The movie itself is definitely playing with fire, and the hysteria is pretty justified by the film itself.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Then
This seems baffling because... by the very nature, we're applying logic.. that they'll attack a movie they are supposedly drawn to, but saying... they don't behave with reason/logic

so the science of criminal psychology is bogus because it studies illogical people?

cops are using preexisting patterns to prevent crime, this is nothing new.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
The FBI has warned that they've observed threats on the Dark Web

Yet not anything for any specific place. The only place as far as i know that is close to a credible threat is in texas, which was a joint effort between the FBI and the Texas law enforcement.

Besides that was not the point of my post. The poster said that there were threats mentioned by the nypd, fbi and army. The only one that had was the FBI, for a very specific area.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I say better safe than sorry unless the police end up shooting an innocent person for like reaching for popcorn or something.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Besides that was not the point of my post. The poster said that there were threats mentioned by the nypd, fbi and army. The only one that had was the FBI, for a very specific area.

Sorry for semantic mix-up. You really got me there.

The point is that this is not just "the media" hyping threats out of thin air.

In any case, deterring potential shooters makes sense, although NYC's gun laws definitely do a lot of deterrence as is.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Put the cops 👮‍♂️ where they are needed!
At the cinema. 🙄

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When suck hateful people can get weapons of mass killing so easily this is the result, a society living in fear.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is very good reason to be worried about this. And that NYPD are making the correct move.

We already know 4chan/alt-right types are highly influenced by mass-shooters. And the mass-shooting at at the dark knight was one of the most horrific in modern history. Theaters should be taking this seriously.

although yeah the gun laws in NYC already go a long way to prevent violence.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
If they really are scared of the damn incels Then they gotta do the same thing for Star Wars or any Brie movie since that's what rules them up pretty bad. Otherwise this is really fucking stupid. I remembered the cops did the same shit for the straight outta Compton when it got released.

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is very good reason to be worried about this. And that NYPD are making the correct move.

We already know 4chan/alt-right types are highly influenced by mass-shooters. And the mass-shooting at at the dark knight was one of the most horrific in modern history. Theaters should be taking this seriously.

although yeah the gun laws in NYC already go a long way to prevent violence.

Except, Joker had nothing to do with it. So equating the two doesn't make sense.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The rate things are going, eventually these incels are gonna merge with far right extremist groups like supremacists. They're pretty much already there with blaming their own issues on women and men that end up with a woman.