• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised this got dropped honestly. It wasn't the best show but a few episodes were honestly fantastic episodes of television.

I wonder if Raised by Wolves will get the boot too, I've never heard anyone even mention that show outside of a thread here.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Each episode being a different genre was a cool concept, but making something that was essentially an anthology a continuous narrative meant it felt really disjointed at times. I really liked the first episode and the episode set in Korea, though.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
well, the issue was definitely not on the creative side of things since Green had a pitch and all for Season 2.

If S2 was to be some alternate history East of West kind of thing, then that probably would have been super expensive to produce. I have to imagine cost is why HBO turned it down because clearly everyone involved in the show was game to do more.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I appreciate what this show was trying to do but they miserably failed at executing on that front. This show had some of the worst writing and acting to ever grace HBO.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to describe it but Lovecraft stuff requires a certain angle to actually work. It's very similar to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark where you have to film it so the essence of the horror is shown. Or you go full nuts and just toss Cthulu fighting a Gundam or something.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Amazing 1st episode of a season that goes down hill quickly afterward. They should have either fully embraced the anthology aspect with new sets of characters or doubled down on the serialized story. Trying to be both didnt work for me at all.
It sucks cause I was so freaking hyped after the 1st ep but minutes into ep 2 I knew something was wrong. The season finale didnt really have any cliffhanger so at least fans arent left emptyhanded.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Good. Most of it was clumsy shit with a few flecks of gold (beyond the excellent opening episode).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first episode but it felt like things went downhill pretty fast quality wise after that unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get past episode 4 on this while it was airing and I watched all of Raised by Wolves so my tolerance for average shows is high. I just remember thinking it was very cheesy and I kinda forgot to tune back in week to week. Seems like it's not worth going back to finish.

I was expecting actual Lovecraft stuff and it was clear that it wasn't going to go there.

How cool would a modern day cosmic horror HBO series be tho? Kinda surprised no one has tried it by now between HBO and the other big streaming production houses.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Damn show had lots of potential for a season 2 I thought.

Bummed. Maybe it wasn't prefect but it was some of the most exciting tv in a long time for me.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the show, but heard it was based on a single book so wasn't really expecting a second season.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
According to a new "oral history of HBO" book:

HBO determined after a lengthy analysis that there were too many organizational behavior issues present. Several writers on the show refused to work with Misha Green, blaming her for a toxic and hostile environment.

The author of the book also said in an interview with Deadline:

I mean, Misha Green is enormously talented. That show was exquisite. It was just beautiful and I loved talking to her about it. I think that again, writing the book of record, when my reporting leads me to the conclusion based on again, numerous sources that the explanation for the show's cancellation was not what was reported, I think I have a duty to go there and to make sure that I have it right and to do it. But I don't think that I have the agency in the book to go on and on about it given the fact that no one was going to go on record.

And I also believe that it's an important enough issue that needs to be dealt with almost on its own and for Misha to have as much of an opportunity to talk about it from her vantage point as well.

deadline.com

HBO Oral History ‘Tinderbox’ Author On Corporate ‘Game Of Thrones’, “Silent Killer” Jeff Bewkes, David Zaslav & Network’s Future

James Andrew Miller's new book on the premium cabler reveals a lot of sharp elbows on both sides of the cameras over the decades

Antoo

May 1, 2019
isn't misha working on a black canary movie for hbo max? why would they continue working with her if they found her a bad business partner

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That article is so scatterbrained, jumping from one topic to another, so I war waiting to hear more of whether Misha Green created a toxic work environment or not.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The gall to authoritatively state:
"HBO determined after a lengthy analysis that there were too many organizational behavior issues present. Several writers on the show refused to work with Misha Green, blaming her for a toxic and hostile environment."

and then turn around and also say:
"I think I have a duty to go there and to make sure that I have it right and to do it. But I don't think that I have the agency in the book to go on and on about it given the fact that no one was going to go on record.

And I also believe that it's an important enough issue that needs to be dealt with almost on its own and for Misha to have as much of an opportunity to talk about it from her vantage point as well."

Rest of the book could very well be a masterpiece but that is some Grade A horseshit.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Don't want to hear about this anymore. Wish it had a second season and they didn't kill that whites woman. God, it we just begging for a self hating villain because his white mom wanting white people magic revenge.FUCK

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Writing a feature isn't the same as managing a room of writers and running a show.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The actors got some exposure. Two of them are in the Loki show. I enjoyed Lovecraft Country but it was definitely flawed.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Not surprised, it was a pretty mediocre show, even if the premise was interesting, the show just wasn't good enough.

petszk

Dec 20, 2019
Not surprised, it was a pretty mediocre show, even if the premise was interesting, the show just wasn't good enough.

Agree with this, and 100% recommend reading the book upon which it was based.
A1TU5GEYM8L.jpg

Cannot recommend the book highly enough

I know it's a cliché to do the whole "Oh, the book was better" thing, but in the case of Lovecraft Country, the book was a fantastic series of related stories which tied together really well and gave the reader a real feel for the racism prevalent at the time and the TV series was poorly adapted story that couldn't decide if it wanted to be Lovecraftian horror, a goonies-style adventure, a history documentary or an over-the-top revenge fantasy and ended up being a poor mishmash of all of them.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Agree with this, and 100% recommend reading the book upon which it was based.
A1TU5GEYM8L.jpg

Cannot recommend the book highly enough

I know it's a cliché to do the whole "Oh, the book was better" thing, but in the case of Lovecraft Country, the book was a fantastic series of related stories which tied together really well and gave the reader a real feel for the racism prevalent at the time and the TV series was poorly adapted story that couldn't decide if it wanted to be Lovecraftian horror, a goonies-style adventure, a history documentary or an over-the-top revenge fantasy and ended up being a poor mishmash of all of them.
I'll definitely give it a shot! Thank you for the heads up.