• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Warner Bros. Discovery Faces First Post-Honeymoon Earnings As Layoffs, Streaming Decisions Loom

Warner Bros. Discovery is heading into a very important week.
Warner Bros. Discovery is heading into a very important week. The company, whose regime just crossed the 100-days-in-office mark, reports its Q2 earnings Thursday, when CEO David Zaslav and his team are expected to lay out more concrete plans for the combined entity than they did on the Q1 earnings call, held just a couple of weeks after the $43 billion Discovery-WarnerMedia merger had been completed. That could include more details about how the two companies' streaming services, HBO Max and Discovery+, would be combined and under what name; about the company's theatrical-streaming film strategy; and how a promised $3 billion in savings (a number many expect to go higher) would be achieved.

HBO Max, which has positioned itself as a top-tier streamer after two years of operation, has found itself at the center of all sorts of wild speculation for the past couple of months — from a supposed shutdown and folding into Discovery+ to a buying freeze and dramatic cull of its development slate.

While the streamer has paused new live-action kids and family programming as well as unscripted content, most of the rumors could not be substantiated as HBO Max is preparing for one of its biggest launches ever with the Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon. Further consolidation of HBO and HBO Max's scripted operations under Casey Bloys is expected, and the future of HBO Max's unscripted division is in question given the pending merger with the nonfiction-focused Discovery+.

WBD's film strategy for HBO Max also is believed to be under scrutiny, with movies expected to get theatrical distribution before going on the streamer going forward. Also under discussion is a potential unifying moniker for the consolidated WBD streaming platform that would combine the coastal/metropolitan appeal of HBO Max and the Middle America pull of Discovery+. Zaslav was thought to have been keen to changing the name of the streamer when he first discussed the deal but now is believed to have more of an open mind.
Elsewhere, IP will be a huge differentiator going forward. Warner Bros. Discovery has the libraries of DC Comics, Harry Potter, Hanna Barbera and Looney Tunes, a collection matched only by Disney with Marvel, Lucasfilm's Star Wars and Pixar.

Proper management of the big franchises is a top priority, with finding a DC chief who can revitalize the comic book universe the way Kevin Feige has done with Marvel of upmost importance. There's been much chatter about new Harry Potter extensions, including a TV series, and Zaslav is understood to have recently met creator J.K. Rowling.

Film strategy will likely remain focused on theatrical. Zaslav is not thought to be a big fan of direct-to-streaming movies, believing that the return on investment is low and it doesn't help churn across HBO Max. He recently brought in former Disney exec Alan Horn, a heavyweight, who will help consult on feature strategy, working with former MGM chiefs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, who recently took over a larger portion of the portfolio previously overseen by Toby Emmerich.

As he immerses himself into areas in which he has no hands-on experience, like movies and scripted TV, Zaslav has relied on the counsel of industry veterans. In addition to bringing Horn on board, he also reportedly has sought advice from a number of other former top executives including Peter Roth, who led the Warner Bros. Television Group for many years.

As WBD closes the book on its first 100 days, the next 100 might give us an idea about what the future of the company actually looks like. We may get the first glimpse at that on the WBD earnings call Thursday.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Merging HBO Max into DIscovery+ sounds ass backwards so it will probably happen. Ideally it would just be a section within HBO Max. Part of HBO Max's success is because it is attached to the HBO brand of premium quality that it has established and sustained for decades. Why tf would you throw away a brand that took hundreds of millions and years to establish?

Nov 3, 2020
It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that after all these years they still don't have a Kevin Feige figure at DC. Surely there are plenty of dudes in Hollywood that would consider that to be their dream job. As a DC fan it's so frustrating to read this shit, why can't they get it together?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that after all these years they still don't have a Kevin Feige figure at DC. Surely there are plenty of dudes in Hollywood that would consider that to be their dream job. As a DC fan it's so frustrating to read this shit, why can't they get it together?
No one there wants to give a nerd that much power.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Merging HBO Max into DIscovery+ sounds ass backwards so it will probably happen. Ideally it would just be a section within HBO Max. Part of HBO Max's success is because it is attached to the HBO brand of premium quality that it has established and sustained for decades. Why tf would you throw away a brand that took hundreds of millions and years to establish?

Because a) it's significantly less well known overseas (depending on territory, and less of an issue than say CBS was, but not as well known as Warner) and b) because as it says in the article, there's a perception that the HBO brand plays much better with certain demographics than others.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think a person exists with that level of knowledge and understanding of the source material who also has the experience of movie production to head such a major division.

Feige had around 17 movie credits before Iron Man. He'd seen what worked and what didn't, first hand.

Who could possibly be the DC equivalent?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Is it realy that mind-boggling that they can't reproduce Feige's success? Singular figures responsible for steering a $30B franchises don't just fall out of the sky on demand.

Nov 3, 2020
I don't think a person exists with that level of knowledge and understanding of the source material who also has the experience of movie production to head such a major division.

Feige had around 17 movie credits before Iron Man. He'd seen what worked and what didn't, first hand.

I'm sure there are at least a few people in Hollywood with that level of experience that are DC fanatics, besides nobody really knew who Kevin Feige was until Marvel Studios started right? He was just a production assistant to Lauren Shuler Donner in the beginning.

There's always Geoff Johns too.
Is it realy that mind-boggling that they can't reproduce Feige's success? Singular figures responsible for steering a $30B franchises don't just fall out of the sky on demand.
I don't mean to downplay Feige's success, I think some of the stuff he's done at Marvel have been acts of genius, but surely somebody else could be successful at what is essentially being editorial for a couple of films and maybe some TV shows a year.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to downplay Feige's success, I think some of the stuff he's done at Marvel have been acts of genius, but surely somebody else could be successful at what is essentially being editorial for a couple of films and maybe some TV shows a year.
I agree with you, but Warner's problems are almost entirely structural and not creative. They don't have the right people making decisions because the company isn't organized properly to actually assign talent and manage IP efficiently. They're still weighed down with terrible decisions made years and years ago (see: Harry Potter films leaving HBO Max today)

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Max is one of the best streaming services but they seem hellbent on fucking that up. Discovery should merge into HBO not the other way around.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
As someone who isn't that much of a Discovery guy, does Discovery+ really have bigger brand recognition than HBOMax? I would assume that would be the deciding factor on who keeps the name if they merge. Or, what I assume would be the stupid executive decision, just name it HBO+Discovery or Discovery+HBO.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Just dynamically redirect people based on their geolocation. heartland america gets Discovery dot com, cosmopolitan america gets hbo max dot com.

Frank Lemon

Oct 27, 2017
The Discovery side is going to run the company into the ground.
all indications appear this to be true. They built a real contender with HBOMAX (against the odds) so sounds about right to tear it down.

I'm fucking tired of billionaires trading me around like I'm one of their fucking toys

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I never looked into details of this merger but how did Discovery end up being the one in control in this merger? Were they bigger than WB? Are there people out there who actually watch discovery still?

Frank Lemon

Oct 27, 2017
I never looked into details of this merger but how did Discovery end up being the one in control in this merger? Were they bigger than WB? Are there people out there who actually watch discovery still?
The last billionaire who controlled WB realized they had no idea what they got themselves into so they called another billionaire and said hey, you want this?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max is one of the best streaming services but they seem hellbent on fucking that up. Discovery should merge into HBO not the other way around.
I've been worried about the same thing ever since we started to hear of series just completely disappearing from the service without any real reason.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They tried that with Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder. I also prefer DC but it feels like an impossible task to make a cohesive cinematic universe with those characters.

Then you add in all the scandals and box office failures and it seems REALLY impossible.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 3, 2020
That WB would even consider the idea that the brand/streaming service that is currently giving us Barry, Euphoria, and Succession is in competition with Discovery+ that is currently giving us *checks notes* Property Brothers and Dr. Pimple Popper: This is Zit as its flagship streaming service is deeply and profoundly preposterous.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You radically overestimate how many suits give a shit about respecting or prioritizing any comic material. Those are IP mines and not much else.

Feige was literally sneaking Wolverine and X-Men comics into Hugh Jackman's trailer when making that first movie because every other head of production was doing their hardest to downplay any connection to comics.

Individually successful projects can pop and be cool and interesting (like Peacemaker), but the actual balance-work of maintaining the whole MCU franchise and still feel like someone at the top isn't a cynical passionless ass about it? Rare doesn't begin to describe it. If it were easy, everyone would've been able to do it.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

The Star Wars side can't even find their Kevin Feige.

But only because they refuse to give the keys to Filoni.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Star Wars side can't even find their Kevin Feige.

But only because they refuse to give the keys to Filoni.

I get the sense they're prepping Filoni for that sorta role in the future. He has his hand in a bunch of stuff, they're actively getting him into live action directing, they basically just gave him a budget to do Tales because he wanted one, etc. The problem is, as you said, they won't let him into the movie side of things for whatever reason.

They tried that with Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder. I also prefer DC but it feels like an impossible task to make a cohesive cinematic universe with those characters.

Then you add in all the scandals and box office failures and it seems REALLY impossible.

The cartoons and comics rarely seemed to have a problem being cohesive with it. I think the problem is Snyder wanted a tone that actively made it hard for a lot of characters to work and… honestly I'm not sure what Johns accomplished in the role?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I get the sense they're prepping Filoni for that sorta role in the future. He has his hand in a bunch of stuff, they're actively getting him into live action directing, they basically just gave him a budget to do Tales because he wanted one, etc. The problem is, as you said, they won't let him into the movie side of things for whatever reason.

I feel like he could have had it but maybe Disney sees Favreau as the BIG HOLLYWOOD type and they'd rather he take the role and he's basically saying the same thing: give it to Dave.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

And most of those credits were for nearly every major pre-MCU Marvel flick good or bad, from X-Men and Spider-man to Elektra and The Last Stand. The man was immersed in Marvel from the beginning

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
WB has been terribly mismanaged for years now so none of this surprises me. They always make the worst decision possible so folding HBO Max into Discovery+ seems like a perfectly illogical decision for them to make.

Nov 3, 2020
You radically overestimate how many suits give a shit about respecting or prioritizing any comic material. Those are IP mines and not much else.
Even so, to have a franchise like Superman in a state of limbo because of mismanagement is bad for everyone. Better to have someone who is planning projects out in advance and then finding the right creative teams to tell a story then to just let it sit dormant and wait for someone to come in with a hot take, which seems to be what WB is doing.

If you take Thor Ragnarok for example, that is a film that was announced with no creative team and probably only broad ideas of where they wanted to take the story, and yet Kevin found Taika Waititi who made the film his own and released it to great commercial and critical acclaim. I don't think that film could exist under DC just because of the way the studio is structured.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Closest person to a role like that were Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, but the suits always downplay animation people.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
WB has been terribly mismanaged for years now so none of this surprises me. They always make the worst decision possible so folding HBO Max into Discovery+ seems like a perfectly illogical decision for them to make.

I feel like this could only backfire. HBO MAX, after some quick Googling, seems like it has 3x the subscriber base? Moving it into Discovery + cancelling a bunch of shows seems like a recipe for a bunch of people to just cancel their subscription and give it to Disney or Paramount.

It also diminishes HBO subscription value outside the streaming service.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The cartoons and comics rarely seemed to have a problem being cohesive with it. I think the problem is Snyder wanted a tone that actively made it hard for a lot of characters to work and… honestly I'm not sure what Johns accomplished in the role?
I think WB/DC tossing jobs at hacky creators/writers like David S. Goyer hurt their brand early on. If they sniff the tiniest bit of success they tend to throw all their weight behind those people.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I've got my fingers crossed for all of you. I hope you all aren't affected by any of the stuff going down.

fwiw I'm in an area extremely far from streaming video games so I've been feeling pretty safe through the whole process

doesn't stop me from panicking every time one of you fuckers posts a "my father's uncle's cousin heard a rumor that wb is selling off their entire games branch" thread though lmao

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Discovery executives get the power in the merger? Isn't it their decision to possibly fold in HBO Max into Discovery? I agree it is illogical but I was under the impression that it was the idea of Discovery people.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already mad about the shows that got cancelled so far. In the age of streaming, content is king, and HBO Max arguably has one of the most prestigious and varied libraries. They have a lot of debt and Zaslav coming from the Discovery side seems to favor that with its high margin reality-based programming.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
First thing they should do is give a streaming deal to AEW for all of their PPVs to stream on HBO Max like what WWE has with Peacock.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
fwiw I'm in an area extremely far from streaming video games so I've been feeling pretty safe through the whole process

doesn't stop me from panicking every time one of you fuckers posts a "my father's uncle's cousin heard a rumor that wb is selling off their entire games branch" thread though lmao
I think I remember a few threads/posts like that which definitely has to be a stressful feeling.