• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Jordan Peele’s ‘Nope’ Hopes To Rope $50M At Weekend Box Office

Box Office: 'Nope' From Jordan Peele Opening To $50M
Universal's Nope, one of the few remaining tentpoles in a rebounding summer box office, looks to provide a lift this weekend with an estimated $50M start at 3,700 theaters with an eye at guys 17-34.

Nope is the third genre film from Oscar winner Jordan Peele, and while its start in U.S./Canada will be above that of his 2017 debut film, Get Out ($33.3M), it will be under the filmmaker's 2019 title Us ($71.1M).

Of Peele's trio, Nope has the highest budget at $68M after California tax incentives (the pic was shot in the Agua Dulce desert in northern Los Angeles County), ranking ahead of Us' $20M production cost before P&A and Get Out's thrifty $4.5M. Peele shot Nope in Imax.

Nope is also the longest movie in Peele's canon at 2 hours and 15 minutes.
That's below Us's opening but that was also 3 years ago. Which is 10 years in pandemic time.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Going by the leaks I suspect this opens well but drops off quite steep in its second weekend. Still turns a solid profit but nowhere near the $255m of Get Out and Us. Maybe like $170-180m. But the budget is way bigger than those movies too.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like there's a lot of fence sitters after Us' more mixed reception waiting to see if this is closer to Us or not. Reviews will have an even larger role than normal in pushing people to see it.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
This being more supernatural than the other two movies is really kinda a downer and I don't think it will do well compared to the previous

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I can't wait for some of the low hanging wordplay reviews.

"Nope is a big YES!"

"Say no to dope Nope."

"Nope is very agreeable."

"Nope asks that you nod in affirmation but you just want to shake your head the entire time."

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, my excitement level for this is kind of low. Loved Get Out and even liked Us quite a bit, but the trailers for Nope haven't really grabbed me. I'm seeing it at some point but not really in a rush.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
People judging movies based on trailers and dumb reddit leaks, someone save me cause I'm drowning

Oct 25, 2017
Teaser was awesome but everything after has completely washed the hype away.
Especially after Us which looked amazing till watching it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Us' trailer doesn't make sense even after you've seen the movie.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Us had fire trailers though. Using that version of I Got Five On It made those trailers blow up. I think Nope's trailers have been pretty weak.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've become a pretty big fan of Steven Yeun (Burning is so fucking good, watch it), so I'll see just for him.

Us was better than Get Out.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I mean yeah, I Got Five On It is a classic.

Still didn't tell you shit about the movie. LOL

None of the trailers tell you anything about the movie cause a lot of it is meant to be a genuine surprise, and something to experience as you're watching it, which also greatly adds to moments when it pulls the rug out from underneath you.

Jordan Peele was weaned on the original Twilight Zone, much like I was, which is probably why I find his movies so far so good, because that influence is blatant. A trailer for one of his movies wouldn't and shouldn't tell you much more than a trailer for a Twilight Zone episode.

I mean a common complaint about movie trailers in general is they give away the entire plot. Now people seem to be actively seeking that with leaks, and then making stark conclusions on the film's quality based on those. Incomprehensible.

I'm really taken aback by the number of people in these threads who say they read leaks and have judged the movie to be shit. Not sure I ever want to hear their opinion on any movie if I'm being perfectly honest.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Get Out and enjoyed Us. Peele's style + UFOs is an amazing combo for me, so I'm excited to check this one out. Going to have to dodge spoilers for at least a week or two, though :/

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It is obvious the Box Office OT is So Who Beat Thor? Nope. So Did It Retain #1? Nope. Who Won Then? Nope. The Movie Nope? Yup.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I've already got my ticket but I would be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed with the frequency and how much they reveal in the trailers. The new one going to see Thor felt like all the mystique of this movies reveal went out the window entirely.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Going by the leaks I suspect this opens well but drops off quite steep in its second weekend. Still turns a solid profit but nowhere near the $255m of Get Out and Us. Maybe like $170-180m. But the budget is way bigger than those movies too.

I'm almost afraid to ask if you think it's that bad lol

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I'll go this time. Was burned so bad by Us. Get Out is one of my favourite movies of all time but Us was one of the worst movies I've seen in a theatre.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
If anything it's cool to see his adoration of Twilight Zone become full feature modern versions of what would have appeared in the series. I just really hope he isn't caught up in this need to shock audiences with narrative twists. Seems like a dead end, creatively.

Dec 16, 2017
I really like US and will make a point of seeing Nope if it gets some decent reviews, which I'm expecting.

I haven't really followed the movies development but think it's crazy that someone would discount this based on a plot summary considering Get Out doesn't sound anything special on paper.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
2nd trailer deflated my hype. It smelled like studio mandated trailer.

However, word of mouth and review embargo being lifted has me optimistic! I got my tickets!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Reading leaks on Reddit is not seeing the movie. Some of you are negative as shit and you haven't even seen the movie.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds good on paper, so they'll get a ticket sale out of me. In theory it should be right up my alley. Even if it turns out to be not quit what I expect, I'm pretty confident it will be worth the time/money/effort. Peele's output has never knocked it out of the park for me, but I always appreciate the effort.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there's a lot of fence sitters after Us' more mixed reception waiting to see if this is closer to Us or not. Reviews will have an even larger role than normal in pushing people to see it.
This is exactly where I'm at

Liked get out, disappointed with Us; if the reviews for this are poor I'll just not bother