• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
jordan-peele-headshot-e1569950038699.jpg

Universal Pictures has entered into a five-year exclusive production partnership with Oscar winner Jordan Peele and his Monkeypaw Productions, who were behind the studio's combined half billion-grossing successes Get Out and Us.

The commitment continues to speak to the studio's emphasis on a diverse film slate, not just Branded IP like the Fast & Furious and Jurassic World franchises, but original, auteur-driven genre movies such as the titles which Peele has quickly established a track record for. Under the new exclusive deal, Universal is developing Peele's next two films which he will direct, write, and produce. Peele and Monkeypaw, headed by President Win Rosenfeld, will also produce original films under their banner, championing filmmakers with a focus on high-level content that transcends genre.
"Jordan has established himself as a premier voice and original storyteller with global appeal. He is leading a new generation of filmmakers that have found a way to tap into the cultural zeitgeist with groundbreaking content that resonates with audiences of all backgrounds," said Universal Filmed Entertainment Group Chairman Donna Langley today. "We also share an important goal with Monkeypaw when it comes to increasing representation on-screen in the characters that are portrayed, the stories that are told, and the people who tell them."
Monkeypaw produced Spike Lee's feature BlacKkKlansman last year which received six Oscar noms, winning Lee his first-ever Oscar (Adapted Screenplay) and earning Peele his fourth nomination in two years. Monkeypaw is currently in production on Candyman, written by Peele and Rosenfeld, and directed by rising filmmaker Nia DaCosta (Little Woods). Universal Pictures is releasing Candyman globally with the North American release date scheduled for June 12, 2020.
"It would not have been possible to make Get Out and Us without the endless trust and support we received from Donna Langley and the team at Universal. Their willingness to take risks and their commitment to original content makes them the perfect collaborative partner for Monkeypaw. I couldn't be more excited for what lies ahead," said Peele.

Get Out is one of my favorite movies of all time and I really enjoyed Us so I could not be more excited about what lies ahead!

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Monkeypaw is currently in production on Candyman, written by Peele and Rosenfeld, and directed by rising filmmaker Nia DaCosta (Little Woods). Universal Pictures is releasing Candyman globally with the North American release date scheduled for June 12, 2020.
Can't fucking wait for this, especially if the rumors are true and
Tony Todd's back

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Get out was great, us was pretty meh, but I'll be there day 1 for his next.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Get that money Jordan.

Wonder if this also means it's not tied with Blumhouse though

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if he will get/wants a bigger budget

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Hope this is good, Didn't like the new Twilight series or Us ,but i enjoyed Get out.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome! We need more production deals like with with minorities to further improve representation at all levels of the industry

rude

Oct 25, 2017
He needs to get that script together for the next one because Us was nothing more than a UPN-era Twilight Zone episode

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear. I wasn't a fan of Us but the guy has talent and potential to do some amazing stuff.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Get out was great, us was pretty meh, but I'll be there day 1 for his next.

Regarding Us... (major spoilers)

Part of me almost feels like the twist at the end kind of hurt it? Like I get the point that it's asking: "Does it actually matter if she was the original or not" but it still felt unnecessary. Left an odd taste in my mouth.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Also - does anyone have any info how how "5 year" deals work? What if the work is unfinished in 5 years? Or I guess a better way to ask my question is why "5 year" deal instead of "2 film deal"?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Get Out was really good but I was extremely disappointed with Us; I found it legitimately bad.

I found the tone awful. And the "deep" themes seemed almost like they were written by a high school student or something. Just trying way too hard to be "symbolic". Almost feels like there wasn't anybody around to tell him "no".

Hopefully he can bounce back as I know a lot of people loved Get Out but didn't care for Us.

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Part of me almost feels like the twist at the end kind of hurt it? Like I get the point that it's asking: "Does it actually matter if she was the original or not" but it still felt unnecessary. Left an odd taste in my mouth.
It's a film that very much benefits from rewatches, even if that's not something you necessarily tend to do. The ending makes more sense, with clues being more clear/visible/understood than a lot of people noticed the first time, and that was intentionally done according to Peele

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Even though I was mixed on Us, that movie was a confident-as-hell filmmaker going for a home run. Cannot wait to see what he does next.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a film that very much benefits from rewatches, even if that's not something you necessarily tend to do. The ending makes more sense, with clues being more clear/visible/understood than a lot of people noticed the first time, and that was intentionally done according to Peele

I picked up on the clues they laid out but eh. I don't know. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the complete opposite than it seems like most of ERA does. I loved Get Out, but I feel like Us blew it out of the fucking water.

I can't wait for his next film.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Universal has deals with Monkeypaw and Blumhouse now through 2024.

Hope we keep seeing low budget gems from these partnerships.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The entire second half was a mess
Having boatloads of really awkward exposition that actually makes things more confusing and kills the pacing was not a great choice

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Get Out was ok. Us meandered between brilliance and nonsense. I like Peele, though, and I think he's got a genre masterpiece in him someday, so I'm glad he's still got big studio backing.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Jordan Peels the dude deserves it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Us domestically the highest grossing original work so far in 2019.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Very happy for Jordan Peele and Monkeypaw Productions. I remember people thinking he peaked at doing Key and Peele. If Get out and Us is Peele starting to get a grasp on his storytelling I can't wait to see his trajectory.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic new. I liked Get Out and thought Us was a confident improvement in basically every aspect, so I can't wait to see how Peele refines and evolves his style

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Get Out was fantastic, and Us was flawed but still really enjoyable. Very excited to see what Peele does next.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Get paid, Jordan Peele. He's definitely earned it.

Looking forward to whatever he does next.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see he's so successful. He has a really great talent for filmmaking.

Us was wonky as fuck but he's a solid creator. Really wish he had direct involvement in the new Twilight Zone because it kinda sucks.