• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
i mean remember that ERA thread where almost everyone piled on him then when the Amber came out. No one wanted to visit that thread and own up.
And I'm sure those same people are quick to run in here and make baby jokes. Guy had his finger chopped off and he as clearly abused but it turned into a both sides thing while Heard has companies defending her.

Feel sorry for Depp since many used his substance issues as a reason for why he was supposedly the abuser and buried him instantly.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
He was a victim of physical and mental abuse and is still feeling the effects of that. I feel "cancel culture" is a nebulous thing when specific people and organizations should be called out.

But it's his experience as an abused person, he has a right to describe it as he sees it

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He's correct about losing some work. But relying on this phrase to explain what's happening to him is quite foolish. There are so many negative connotations to saying "I've been canceled!" The least of which being, it's not true. He had a movie released earlier this year, he's getting a lifetime achievement award at this very event, and he's gonna land on his feet and get more offers once things calm down, they always do.

All that said, yeah he's not wrong about losing out on some large projects because of this, while Heard continues to skate by. I understand his frustration.
tbf I'm pretty sure "cancel culture" is similar to woke/SJW/politically correct in terms of being a label that originated on the political left to describe overzealous people/attitudes, that eventually got co-opted by the Right to apply to any situation where a person faces consequences for doing shitty things. I still see it as a red flag whenever someone uses it but I think Depp claiming it gets it right.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Is this in reference to being abused by his wife and then he got removed from some work? Because I remember there was some shit about that.

Or is that an incorrect summary? Did something new come out about him?

Disney rebooted pirates without him and WB fired him from Fantastic beasts

Meanwhile his abuser is still having a career and is being defended by wb

If this is all true then he has a legitimate gripe. Misinformation got him cancelled and he was the victim in this case.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
He makes it seem like cancel culture is a serial killer or something. Damn.

His view is fair though. All it takes is one accusation no matter how true or untrue it is and if it gets picked up and starts rolling, people will just assume without knowing the actual truth. That could happen to anyone and it's all about the momentum that follows.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
He was harmed (even WB hasn't restored ties) and suffered immense backlash, so he has the right to say this. There are even people who still side with Amber Heard

Yeah I think if significant harm was done to someone's career/future, even if they haven't been reduced to a 300sqft studio and delivering pizzas every day, it still gets to exist within the realm of "cancelation".

A lot of people try to make it an all or nothing kinda deal. Sure, he got some award, but is he able to work? Do awards come with money? Does he get royalties for his past projects, and if so, can those contracts get cancelled (no pun intended) because of the recent events?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Depp stan, and I won't defend marital/spousal/domestic abuse, but it's hard to nitpick at his complaints when he was abused by his wife and she's suffered no negative repercussions. It's very easy to see this as him being *unfairly* held to account.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I mean his career got ruined because people thought he was abusing his wife when it was actually the other way around.

maybe he has the verbiage wrong but he got done dirty.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe he also has been getting less job offers because he has become notorious for being difficult to work with and hasn't been a box office draw outside the Pirate movies for more than a decade? Mordecai was a huge flop, Transcendence was a flop, City Of Lies was a failure, The Professor was terrible.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
His view is fair though. All it takes is one accusation no matter how true or untrue it is and if it gets picked up and starts rolling, people will just assume without knowing the actual truth. That could happen to anyone and it's all about the momentum that follows.

Yeah get a big momentum that isn't true that starts trending overnight and snowballs into something you can't defuse anymore and you're pretty much fucked. Would be hard to get into the good graces of people and companies alike when that's the mindset that is in people's minds.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
TIL getting abused by someone and belittled by online communities and attacked while losing work cause of it makes you the asshole.

Care to explain further? Or we just going to victim blame someone that had to deal with a full brunt of hate?

Even if you completely ignore anything regarding to his marriage, depp has always been an asshole. From hotel trashings to reporter abuse to being super hard to work with, coming late and appearing drunk on set.

He is getting awards and work (a movie where he plays a reporter just released) . He was just fired from one movie because he was bad press for a kids franchise. A ninja turtle voice actor got the same thing from dirty tweets.

He is not canceled. He is just another famous person that sounds even more privileged and asshole for thinking he is being canceled

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Due to the sensitive topic of this thread, we will be locking and not reopening this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.