• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
My afternoon showing may have cracked a dozen people. I have to echo the lack of buzz, I only knew this was out and reviewing well was because of this board.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who cared about the movie knew it was a Harley Quinn movie. I mean that was the literal biggest complaint when trailer 1 came out. "Too much fucking Harley Quinn"

So i find it funny all the retconning of it wasn't clear enough its a Harley movie.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's much if a factor. R rated superhero movies don't usually do this badly, I'm just thinking of Joker, Deadpool, Logan. Can't think of anything recent that has tanked.
Though others have elaborated in more detail earlier in the thread, the reason why it would be a factor is the result of the demographic for Harley typically skewing younger, leaving those prospective viewers unable to attend.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The title completely put me off the movie. The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It just seems so pretentious and immediately soured me on the film.

I'm sure whoever came up with it thought they were the smartest person ever when they came up with it.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the low budget, it should eke out some profitability worldwide. But considering the IP and the reviews, this should have been a hit

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I said this is the DCEU thread

The movie cost 85 mil to make, they probably only spent 50 mil on marketing. At worst, they did the "double the budget" thing and spent a total of 170. How can this not make at least 200 at he box office world wide when it's all said and done? Not to mention digital and dvd sales.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I do wonder how much the R rating hurt the film.

Well it definitely limits the audience and having seen the film I'm not sure it was needed? If it's really just the swearing they could very easily have done without that.

Anyway I saw the film for Harley as I pretty much don't have any idea about the Birds of Prey. So I'm hoping all those Harley fans out there realise this is a Harley film, and aren't confused with the title.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

The movie cost 85 mil to make, they probably only spent 50 mil on marketing. At worst, they did the "double the budget" thing and spent a total of 170. How can this not make at least 200 at he box office world wide when it's all said and done? Not to mention digital and dvd sales.

By your own math (85+50), the movie would have to make at least 270 to break even, and thats giving them 50% of the profit both domestic and international (which often doesnt happen and is being quite generous). I think 50 for marketing is also low. I think "break even" for this movie is likely closer to 300-350, depending on which territories it hauls in money from and how much they spent on marketing globally.

They likely can break even on merch/digital/dvd/etc sales afterwards, but it might take a bit to get there.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
After "Joker" I just don't have any desire to return to any part of this particular Batman cinematic universe.

I would have much rather have had a 1970s or 1980s NYC grimdark Harley Quinn origin story that didn't even need the Joker necessarily. I'm sure WB would too knowing what they know now.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
No one in the actual team is advertised except Harley for this film, and no plot is presented. Tried to convince my gf and another friend to see it tonight and they had zero interest. I'll probably end up seeing it solo in a week or two, as long as WoM is solid it should have legs.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize the movie was rated R. Everything I saw about it made it look terrible. I felt the same about Suicide Squad and never bothered watching it. I'll admit DCEU's terrible track record with BvS and JL made me not wanna waste my time with any of their other offerings. I finally saw Joker the other day after I noticed my dad rented it through my Prime account and I thought it was good but not nearly as good as people have made it out to be.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title completely put me off the movie. The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It just seems so pretentious and immediately soured me on the film.

I'm sure whoever came up with it thought they were the smartest person ever when they came up with it.

It was Margot Robbie lol.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It tried so hard to do that cheeky fourth wall breaking Deadpool thing and I really dislike that style of humor.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was Margot Robbie lol.

Makes sense. Pretty hard to tell the star of the film that her title is awful.

I think I'd have much less of an issue with it if this wasn't the followup to Suicide Squad. Giving the followup to a movie that got 27% on rotten tomatoes a pretentious title like that feels so unearned.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt know anything about it being rated R. It will be a shame if people think that's why it ultimately flopped. It just looked terrible in everything they showcased.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Angry Joe was disappointed with BOP, but IIRC, he loved Suicide Squad. Lmao!
Angry Joe is not a very good movie reviewer. He's way too raw with his opinions and doesn't take the time to self reflect on what he has just seen.
I'm not saying this because I liked or disliked BoP, I haven't seen it yet. That's just the impression I get from watching his movie review videos.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea it is R rated until a warning before it began.
It's a much better film than I was expecting.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Movie looked terribly unappealing. Who is the target audience for this? I guess maybe marketing is to blame but looked like suicide squad part two. I'll try and see it thanks to A-List.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight and thought it was a solid movie (quite a bit better than Suicide Squad anyway). Too bad it probably wont get a sequel unless it has amazing legs thanks to word of mouth.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Harley Quinn alone isnt enough to sell the movie, specially because of the bad taste left by Suicide Squad.
You add what was probably the less "agressive" marketing from all of the latest DC movies, and the lackluster trailers, that left everyone thinking: "oh great, another suicide squad" and you have a recipe for disaster.

I didn't have interest in Suicide Squad. Didn't have interest in Birds of Prey.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today and while I quite enjoyed it there were a lot of moments I had to just shut my brain off to enjoy.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Suicide Squad stink hurt this. People probably thought this was a sequel to that.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The ads and trailers did absolutely nothing for me.

Seems that it was the same with plenty of other people too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
RfWFjH8.jpg

I enjoyed it. It was ok. The theater was pretty dead, though.
nice kicks

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame just came out of theater a half an hour ago.

Movie was fucking awesome. It was a Birds of Prey origin movie + Harley Quinn through and through. The theater was empty and it's a god damn fucking shame I loved the movie.

Suicide Squad stink hurt this. People probably thought this was a sequel to that.
It might had. But this does happen after Suicide Squad. They reference it multiple times.

Dec 3, 2019
Movie was fine. The R rating felt pointless outside a few scenes. Was hoping for something a little crazier and exciting. Kinda felt boring at times.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The WB nerds/fans and WB really over estimated the popularity of Harley Quinn. She can't carry the movie, and the reason she's hyped in Suicide Squad was because she was the only thing in the movie without major flaw. That doesn't mean she is good.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people like Batman, but the mainline movies have been terrible.

And then Suicide Squad was a terrible spinoff. So now this is a spinoff of a spinoff of something that wasn't even good in the first place, with extremely focusing on how cringe-inducing Harley Quinn can be out of context.

Which is a shame, because my entire twitter timeline seems to love it. Didn't realize the John Wick director was second unit on it.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I think Harley Quinn absolutely can carry a movie, but not an R-rated one. Too much of her fanbase is made up of girls teenage and younger. PG-13 and the movie would have made a killing.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Weird as shit that people showed up in droves for Suicide Squad, but not the follow up that was based around the only good part of that garbage movie (Harley). Wonder how SS2 does after this.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Weird as shit that people showed up in droves for Suicide Squad, but not the follow up that was based around the only good part of that garbage movie (Harley). Wonder how SS2 does after this.
People went to Suicide Squad. Didn't like it. Aren't showing up for another film in one of the three concurrent DC film continuities.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it tonight and thought it was great. I really think that it's on the marketing being abysmal and Suicide Squad having been a stinker. IIRC, it made most of its money opening weekend then fell off a cliff pretty quickly, and squeaked by staying in number one because there was literally nothing else that came out.

I'm somewhat hopeful that this is the opposite and word of mouth gives this decent legs, because it deserves it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

It would probably have to make like $300m to break even due to Hollywood math

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This was my favorite DCEU movie by far. Loved it

This was 100% "Harley Quinn & the Birds of Prey" rather than the other way around though.

Maybe good WoM will carry it. A weak opening weekend is far from a death sentence anymore and also there's barely anything coming out in the coming weeks so it could still recover

People talking about bad marketing, maybe that has some merit. I barely watch movie trailers anymore because they spoil too much