• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
They should have went full Deadpool marketing and the first thing we see of this film is Harley Quinn walking on set for suicide squad 2. All the cast from that shitty movie is dead on the floor with one of the birds of prey girls over them.

Harley: "What happened to my family"
Girl: "They were trash you were the best part tho so your coming with us
Harley: "Oooo yaaay"

Somethinf stupid like that but acknowledge how shitty that film was and your fixing it.

Oct 25, 2017
I was never going to pay to see this movie myself for how they used Cassandra Cain despite loving the Birds of Prey and originally liking this Harley.
"oh hey we cast an Asian girl as the random teen"
"lets call her Cassandra Cain asap!"

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Harassment and Personal Insults; Prior Severe Ban for Defending Sexism
If only that bald bitch feige had DC this would never happen. The sooner Disney owns every studio the better.

Slayven, 50k posts. when was the last time you fornicated?

667068553274589224.png

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I thought it was a terrible movie that was all flash and no heart.

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I personally got enough of Harley in just the trailers and the other girls look like BoP in name only. I'm curious about who they were trying to pull in since it's rated R which puts younger Harley fans out and it seems like most of the demo that went to see it are male. So something there must be off putting.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Aquaman was tied to the brutal Justice League movie and overcame that. Sometimes decent movies just don't find their audience, can be a bad release window, marketing, or 50 other factors who knows.

I think they thought they had a Deadpool on their hands.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Suicide Squad - great trailers, bad movie
Birds of Prey - bad trailers, supposedly great movie

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thursday tracking had it with 58% male, 42% female audience.

... That was not what I was expecting for a female-led movie.

For perspective, Aquaman was bigger with women, according to Deadline, 52% female, 48% male.

So... what the heck happened?
thumbnail

(besides the obvious)
it's probably more Suicide Squad poison tbh even though she was considered the best character she was still kinda objectified and male gazey and this appeared to more of the same character.

Aug 13, 2019
... I really like the title.

Shame to hear it's doing poorly. I thought it was fun and I hope this doesn't stop DC from giving us another Birds of Prey movie.

Oct 31, 2017
The marketing has been weak. Not even speaking in terms of quality of marketing materials or anything, but like, the most promo I've seen for this is they did a hot ones interview. I don't remember the marketing for Shazam or Aquaman, but I remember Wonder Woman being plastered on buses, I think there was some mobile game, maybe a flavor of ice cream? Heck, she got a Super Bowl commercial this year.

I hope WB doesn't learn the wrong lessons from this, if BoP is as good as the reviews say. I don't want this to have them get cold feet with either more women hero movies or R rated stuff. WW and Joker success should hopefully prevent that, but then again, it's WB.
Plus they seem really torn as to what to call the movie, I've seen trailers that are all about it being a Harley Quinn movie and others that lean much more into the ensemble and refer to it as Birds of Prey, it's really confusing.

The ensemble trailers were terrible too, it was really hard to get a feel for any of the other characters and it didn't help that their costumes were all fairly muted compared to Harley's which made it difficult to tell so many people apart in a 2 minute trailer.

Last edited:

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I for one am not willing to spend money on a Harley Quinn centric film. I hated Suicide Squad and I can't stand her character in her live action version.

This will be the first DCEU movie I'm not gonna watch in cinemas.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Feels like a perfect storm of bad trailers/marketing, bad name, Suicide Squad leftover stink, and the uncalled for R Rating. I'm a huge sucker for the genre--but even I lack the motivation to go see it.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my answer: suicide squad should have had Joker as the villain.

Birds of Prey should have been Harley centric.

just pure stupidity to be honest.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Comparing this to Suicide Squad which was basically the opposite of how good the trailers/reviews were, it is Interesting to see in this day and age that trailers are still more important than reviews.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing this to Suicide Squad which was basically the opposite of how good the trailers/reviews were, it is Interesting to see in this day and age that trailers are still more important than reviews.

yeah the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer grabbed a lot of attention for Suicide Squad.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I know Deapool and Joker made bank with the R rating...but there's probably a big chunk of guys who like those movies who aren't fans of a female lead team up. Should have went PG-13 so more younger folks could see it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Stuff like Joker has showed that an R rating isn't the impenetrable barrier to entry that studios always claimed it was. Chalking underperformance up to a rating was ludicrous five years ago and it's ludicrous today.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stuff like Joker has showed that an R rating isn't the impenetrable barrier to entry that studios always claimed it was. Chalking underperformance up to a rating was ludicrous five years ago and it's ludicrous today.
I think there is more nuance, to be fair.

A character like Joker is by his nature a murdering psychopath whose existence is driven by committing murders and crime. At his tamest, he's still a remorseless criminal who tries to murder his superhero nemesis. An R-rating for a movie about him makes sense.

But if you were to slap an R-rating on, say, Shazam or Aquaman? That wouldn't make sense. An R-rating WOULD be a barrier because a majority of their fanbase and audience would skew younger.

And in that regard, Harley DOES skew younger. She's more popular with younger kids and teenagers. There's a reason she's part of the Superhero Girls line-up.
62c8f30fee41e7ca546f44f98595c6bb

Even on exit polling for THIS MOVIE, the most positive response has been from the teenage girl audience, so clearly that R-rating is a barrier for what's probably her heaviest demographic.

Not saying you can't do an R-rated Harley movie (hell, there's a great mature Harley comic on shelves right now, and the Harley WB show is REALLY adult), but they misread the room and thought because she's the closest thing they have to Deadpool, and is Joker-adjacent, they could just make her R-rated and it wouldn't matter.

Looks like it did, in this case.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I don't have time to read through all eight pages, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but: two things that seriously helped Deadpool were that, A, the marketing team had the brilliant idea of marketing it as a valentines day movie...

1452594620-deadpool-romcom-banner.jpg

... and B, it actually delivered on that premise, because the movie had what is arguably still the best, most realistically portrayed romantic relationship in the history of comic book films. The R rating even serviced that, because we got to see an uncensored depiction of tender, loving sex between Wade and Vamessa.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sure if you just ignore the last 4ish years
They've been panicking and reworking things, and it's generated some positive results and some negative results. Throwing everything at the wall and doubling down on whatever sticks is going to have some pleasing results, but it's only going to get you so far.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And comics.

Harley is one of DC's best selling characters.

I know, just saying that my daughter - and her pals - love Harley - but they're exposed mnostly through her Batman cartoon appearances. She seems to be a sort of PG rated style and sass influence for them rather than deep lore - so it's surpsing to me that they didn't rey to catch that in a Venn Diagram the way say Guardians or Shazam or WW did. But I understand - I guess the box office numbers may validate part of that, but I can't prove a negative.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... I really like the title.

Shame to hear it's doing poorly. I thought it was fun and I hope this doesn't stop DC from giving us another Birds of Prey movie.

I mean by some metrics an R-rated superhero chick flick doing 30M on opening weekend is freaking fantastic. The problem is their assumptions about what they would actually do. Like Tank Girl is the last movie I can think of as a comparison and that shit was
By the end of its second week, Tank Girl had made only $3,668,762. Its final gross in the United States was $4,064,495. Internationally, the film added approximately $2,000,000 to that total, against a production budget of $25 million.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to read through all eight pages, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but: two things that seriously helped Deadpool were that, A, the marketing team had the brilliant idea of marketing it as a valentines day movie...

1452594620-deadpool-romcom-banner.jpg

... and B, it actually delivered on that premise, because the movie had what is arguably still the best, most realistically portrayed romantic relationship in the history of comic book films. The R rating even serviced that, because we got to see an uncensored depiction of tender, loving sex between Wade and Vamessa.
That poster still makes me lose my shit lmao

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like people came to the same conclusion I came to last night; I just really can't be bothered to pay to see a movie that shares characters and continuity with Suicide Squad.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully with this underperforming WB will drop the dumb thrown together/street look from their DC movies going forward.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like Suicide Squad 2 to me which means I have no interest in it. My plan was to catch it at home eventually, but it is no big deal if I miss it entirely because it does not appear to be connected to any larger universe.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Re-release a PG-13 version of Birds of Prey, call it Kidz BoP.

Fixed

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like people came to the same conclusion I came to last night; I just really can't be bothered to pay to see a movie that shares characters and continuity with Suicide Squad.
Damn you cold, but you had Cats and Ghost In the Shell money huh?