• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Girlfriend and I saw it last night. I thought it was great, and she absolutely adored it. It isn't anything like Suicide Squad.

I'm really hoping for long legs on this one, because otherwise DC is going to learn all the wrong lessons and we'll get more shit like Joker.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Lady Blackhawk is a memeber of the BoP
BoP124_workingvac.gif

#Slayvendeepcuts
That's very on brand.

I thought you were trying to make some deep analogy of a powerful entity (WB)being ambushed by an unexpected event (BOP underperforming) forcing them to change their mission (how to execute further DC movies).

But no it's some ole comic shit.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer and marketing have been laughably bad. Late review embargo didn't inspire confidence.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple dceu movies? That doesn't matter. They see the same harley quinn and same style as SS, which they didn't like.
Still doesn't make sense, since it's open knowledge that the directors/writers are different. Just seems like they were just never interested to begin with.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame it's a fantastic film hopefully it does well enough they keep it going.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Honestly I wasn't even thinking of watching it until the reviews started to come out really positive. Suicide Squad was one of the worst films I've seen in recent memory, and this being tied to it at all makes it really hard to get remotely excited for it. They should've cut all ties completely and made it its own thing.

I also think it doesn't help at all that all the marketting/posters have used the same visual palete as SS, and make it look very similar/like a direct sequel.

Apr 21, 2018
I want to say it is suffering from the Suicide Squad smell. Casual audiences probably thought it was another terrible ensemble movie like SS.

I think this was the issue. Margot Robbie is great but I want nothing to do with that suicide squad version. I would rank suicide squad below Batman V Superman. It's not only awful, it's cringe. And regardless of reviews, BOP looked like it had that same cringe.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The movie itself was fun, but it's the assumed connection to Suicide Squad, and the really horrible marketing and poorly made trailers that shot itself in the foot.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers looked bad and the stink of Suicide Squad isn't easily washed off. A shame cause I really like Margot Robbie as Harley.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Has the James Gunn Suicide Squad film already wrapped?

I wonder if this is will make the studio put a hold on it, or retool it.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Huh. Was honestly expecting a higher opening, but that was after reviews. Guessing the trailers didn't sell it, which is fair.

The trailers for this were terrible

Last edited:

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Its a fucking shame. I'm watching it in a couple of hours and I'm already expecting it to be my favorite DCEU film.

I wonder if the general movie going public dislikes women led ensemble type films for whatever stupid reason. I didn't watch too many trailers but did they turn up the dial on the girl power stuff for the marketing?
The marketing didn't give me too much of a girl power vibe, it mostly gave me an obnoxious headache-inducing vibe. The type of attitude and humor in the trailers turned me off but based on reviews I'm guessing the actual movie does a better job with it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. I never cared for Harley as a character, could barely watch a few minutes of Suicide Squad before turning it off, and yet Birds of Prey turned out to be my favorite DC movie since The Dark Knight and made Harley a character I really like

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't want to invoke the stink of Suicide Squad they shouldn't of cast Robbie again.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Has the James Gunn Suicide Squad film already wrapped?

I wonder if this is will make the studio put a hold on it, or retool it.
Very likely, WB is completely incompetent even with Joker they weren't confident in the movie so they shared expenses with 2 other production companies. WB really doesn't deserve to own the rights to DC, at least the film rights.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly blame the marketing because the film and audience reactions have been great.

The trailers and poster campaigns doomed this movie from the start. WB are so f*cking incompetent.

I've said this a bunch before, but why were the trailers accompanied by slow opera music? Why was an electric movie like this given posters that look like Botticelli paintings?

I REALLY hope we get an HBO Max series.

Yeah it feels like they had three different marketing approaches, none that either fit the actual movie very well, or were in line with successful R-rated superhero films we've seen since.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge bomb, advertisements have been intense with this, probably spent $50+ mill easy on advertising alone

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As good as Margot Robbie is in the role, I think Harley Quinn is just a grating character. The R rating probably didn't help.

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah it feels like they had three different marketing approaches, none that either fit the actual movie very well, or were in line with successful R-rated superhero films we've seen since.
Oh absolutely.

Even in the last few weeks, they stopped calling it by its full title and started calling it "Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey" to lean into her brand recognition.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What a shame. The movie is good.

I blame the title and marketing. It was impossible to tell if this was garbage or not based on the trailers. There's very little to latch onto unless you're a huge fan of Harley Quinn to begin with.

It's safe to say that general audiences have no clue who zany clown girl is supposed to be. Pity.

DC needs to keep making interesting and original movies like Birds of Prey if they want to one day rival the MCU. Just sell them better. Birds of Prey is no weirder than Guardians of the Galaxy or Dr. Strange.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Jesus Christ that's bad.
But I do understand. Even when I know the movie is great, I don't really feel like going to see it.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
It's going to open less than Ocean's 8.... ouch.

I haven't seen the film just yet and honestly... I have no incentive to do so either and that's one of the problems here with this film.

I would have loved a Harley Quinn vs Poison Ivy (bring back Uma Thurman) movie, that would have brought people to the movie theatres. But alas, that's not what we have.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trailers never sold me, the name was pretty terrible and they made a huge mistake by not jettisoning everything Suicide Squad including how Harley looked, tattoos, joker etc.

I'll watch it but no rush to see it.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
And sorry but no, Suicide Squad has nothing to do with the BO results of BoP.
Suicide Squad is much more popular among the general audience than some of you are thinking. Suicide Squad 2 is absolutely a potential $1B movie. That movie is going to be huge.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who saw it, did it warrant an R rating?
The Deadline commentary in the previous update skewers that

We'll give this DC Suicide Squad spinoff a chance to try and take off before we pluck its feathers in full, but I will say this: It's a lazy R movie full of F bombs, and it feels in its bones like a PG-13 movie, especially coming off Suicide Squad. It's not edgy, ultraviolent and genre pushing like Deadpool, Logan, Joker, heck, even Watchmen. And by making this movie R, the studio has potentially sidelined the younger female skewing Harley Quinn fanbase (and there's plenty from the cartoon series, not just Suicide Squad).

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm a huge DC fan and I haven't seen BOP but I wasn't blown away by the marketing or trailers.

The whole project seemed unbalanced by HQ even the clip introducing Black Canary singing has HQ talking over the scene. I wanna listen to Black Canary! Shut up Harley!

HQ is much better in small doses as part of an ensemble. Even Suicide Squad understood that.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Trailers never sold me, the name was pretty terrible and they made a huge mistake by not jettisoning everything Suicide Squad including how Harley looked, tattoos, joker etc.

I'll watch it but no rush to see it.
Yeah exactly.
Ok so they had to cast Robbie again. But to put her in in and almost the exact same bizarre style as Suicide Squad.
What did they expect?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we needed another movie or two before this to really make Harley a household name. I know nerds love her, but most people's Batman knowledge stems from the Nolan or Burton/Schumacher films.

Same with Suicide Squad in general, though. Those villains should have appeared in solo movies first. SS should've been the team up. WB still doesn't get it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame. The movie is good.

I blame the title and marketing. It was impossible to tell if this was garbage or not based on the trailers. There's very little to latch onto unless you're a huge fan of Harley Quinn to begin with.

It's safe to say that general audiences have no clue who zany clown girl is supposed to be. Shame.

DC needs to keep making interesting and original movies like Birds of Prey if they want to one day rival the MCU. Just sell them better. Birds of Prey is no weirder than Guardians of the Galaxy or Dr. Strange.
I had zero interest in Harley; the action, aesthetic, crime-comedy style, and reception is what got me interested.