• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Says a lot when Hollywood industry folks are saying you need to tap the breaks on reopening.

deadline.com

Hollywood Gobsmacked By California Governor’s Plan To Potentially Reopen Production Soon

Seems to be a growing disconnect between what State officials want to do to reopen Cali from COVID-19 & what Tinseltown thinks is prudent

EXCLUSIVE: California Gov. Gavin Newsom may see the state as mere days away from new guidelines to further open up from the coronaviruspandemic, but entertainment industry insiders are feeling broadsided by today's announcement.

"WTF?" said one top cable executive to Newsom today announcning he would reveal plans on May 25 that could spur shuttered film and TV production back to work sooner rather than later. "Have they talked to the unions, because I don't think that's going to jive with them," the exec added.

"We'll look at the guidelines when they come out on Monday," a spokesperson for the WGA West told Deadline of the upcoming Memorial Day plan from the governor to enter the latest phase of reopening the Golden State's battered economy.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they were just prepping on reopening and now, boom, reopening is happening sooner than they think.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A star on a big production dying or being taken out of commission for 6+ weeks would be a massive blow to a studio. They wouldn't want to risk it.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I think this has more to do with Republicans not giving out bail out money and people just not giving a fuck anymore. More and more I see people gathering and without masks n shit like that

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The governor pissed off all of the state employees because he wants to cut 10% of their pay and furlough, so he's BEGGING Hollywood to reopen so the state can make money again so he doesn't have to make those cuts. That's partially what is going on here.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about film production, but don't most sets require a lot of people working for hours in close quarters?

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
"Science, not politics, will decide when we reopen!"

Well, so much for that...

Yeah Newsom can start fucking off unless he reins it all in. Dude is like mass appealing to all the businesses to open up.

Edit - I see the reason why, damned if you and damned if you don't but still, reopening way too quick. Come the fuck on Newsom.

Oct 27, 2017
He's getting too much pressure to loosen restrictions and he's concerned with how much our state economy is being hit. I don't envy his position, but I wish he'd just cool down and take it slow

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Newsom saying that the data says around 24 million will be infected in California like 2 months ago is about to come into fruition if shit don't slow down.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I would wait to see what the guidelines are.

It's really not that surprising - we closed down the earliest, so it makes sense that we're making moves to open up and we've been doing well so far.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah California in the last week or two suddenly sped everything up drastically. He lowered his standards and requirements. Also, several counties started moving on their own to reopen.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thought California was supposed to be doing good

Money-wise, we are looking at a $54B deficit because of a stalled economy and our safety net programs supporting citizens that are out of work.

Without federal aid, we are not in a great place. It's why the timeline is speeding up so quickly.

Health-wise...well, we did good early on. If we reopen at the new rate they want, we probably won't be good.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah California in the last week or two suddenly sped everything up drastically. He lowered his standards and requirements. Also, several counties started moving on their own to reopen.

Yep other counties are just defying orders and saying fuck all and are opening.

Salons are opening up in my county too, which while I understand, Counties aren't doing much to shut them down so now everything is fucked and Newsom must be feeling the pressure.

In my county they're just advising social distancing and wearing masks so that seems like a stupid ass idea.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Money-wise, we are looking at a $54B deficit because of a stalled economy and our safety net programs supporting citizens that are out of work.

Without federal aid, we are not in a great place. It's why the timeline is speeding up so quickly.

Health-wise...well, we did good early on. If we reopen at the new rate they want, we probably won't be good.

I'm not getting the point of either a federal executive or a central treasury if we let any of our states die on a vine.

But I this is what Trump wants, I guess. To "punish" whole states.

(The toll of Hurricane Maria on Puerto Rico was an obvious harbinger.)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucking frustrating having to watch this shit show from the front seat.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting the point of either a federal executive or a central treasury if we let any of our states die on a vine.

But I this is what Trump wants, I guess. To "punish" whole states.

(The toll of Hurricane Maria on Puerto Rico was an obvious harbinger.)

Pretty much. Trump sees federal money as his money and he isn't going to give his money to states that don't bend to his rule or have a high amount of minorities that he dislikes.

Remember he washed his hands of any responsibility early on when this all began and essentially said the states have to fend for themselves. It's all according to plan.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really matter as long as Vancouver is still on lockdown.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this pandemic is over in America by the look of things.

As long as they stay inside their country I guess they can do whatever they want.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If things get really bad (which I expect) states will be forced into lockdown and the damage will be worse than last time to the economy and consumer confidence, stock market.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the end of June cases are going to skyrocket, and no one will care. We'll march happily to our deaths because normal people got bored and rich people got scared.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Newsom's really been dropping the ball lately. In an ideal world I'd love to be working again but as things stand I have no desire to be back working on set anytime soon. I can't even imagine how you'd accomplish social distancing in that environment. There are so many people on set at a given time that are handling equipment that other people are touching.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I just don't see how this is even remotely feasible....

First of all, social distancing is impossible. Crew members, crafting, constant hair and makeup, going through wardrobe...

Secondly, there's the actors doing their scenes and if they have to do films with large crowds. Unless they're going to use CGI—which will be incredibly expensive—then I don't see how they manage it. Not even considering the fact that there wouldn't be any masks during the filming of the scenes.

And lastly, insurance for the principle actors. Will the insurance and production companies going to shell out the money to cover them if they get sick and, worse, should they die because of it?

I just can't wrap my head around how they would go about it and I certainly don't see SAG-AFTRA allowing their members to be put at risk.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. Trump sees federal money as his money and he isn't going to give his money to states that don't bend to his rule or have a high amount of minorities that he dislikes.

Remember he washed his hands of any responsibility early on when this all began and essentially said the states have to fend for themselves. It's all according to plan.
Then when reopening leads to outbreaks, it's the states fault. And who are the governors of those states? Democrats. And this is why that poll from the other thread this morning said any second wave will be the fault of Democrats. It's alllllll working out. Blame can be shifted VERY easily. Can see it coming from a mile away.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Newsom's really been dropping the ball lately. In an ideal world I'd love to be working again but as things stand I have no desire to be back working on set anytime soon. I can't even imagine how you'd accomplish social distancing in that environment. There are so many people on set at a given time that are handling equipment that other people are touching.
Yeah. Dude buckled to conservative pressure at first but some of these latest decisions are just plain idiotic.

I hope to see other countries closing their orders to US tourism because at this rate it will be Americans causing surges in countries elsewhere.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Then when reopening leads to outbreaks, it's the states fault. And who are the governors of those states? Democrats. And this is why that poll from the other thread this morning said any second wave will be the fault of Democrats. It's alllllll working out. Blame can be shifted VERY easily. Can see it coming from a mile away.

Only had to kill a hundred thousand (+++) people to get it done. 😡