• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have a passively negative opinion of CBS All Access, so I'm not thrilled at that shift.

I can only speak for myself, but when a service goes so far out of its way to brand itself with a new series (like Picard) in your region, then it ends up being a violent, brainless, bleak mockery of the series it's an extension of, that negative impression reflects right back onto the service. If their positive perception of the Halo footage is the same judgement that made them go all-in on the Picard series, then I have less faith in the Halo show.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I forgot, is this supposed to be canon to the overall series or a different universe?
Yes.

They were being super cagey about it, but it seems like it's functionally non-canon, but they won't explicitly say so. Which would be fine if they were doing more of an adaptation, but it's a new story that's also leaning hard on novel characters that only hardcore lore nerds care about, so everything about this sounds like a a bad idea, lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" He reached out to Showtime's creative partners on the series, Spielberg and his team at Amblin as well as 343 Industries, the Microsoft-owned video game developer behind the Halo universe. Nevins got them on board with a pitch why Halo would benefit from launching on Paramount+. "It could be a defining show for a newish service that's got all firepower of an entertainment corporation behind it," Nevins said. "

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Nice, excited to watch some Halo (assuming the sportsline/cbs access deal turns into Paramount+ and this comes out in the next 18 months).

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Uhh not true. Still 10 episodes planned. They shot like 6 before COVID happened and then offcourse halted. They started last year again for the remaining episodes.
Actor switch wich was just one was because of scheduling conflict. That actress still plays Halsey also btw

I didn't know they resumed. Last thing I heard was they weren't going to. Nice.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The way CBS seems to have faith in this show is giving me faith lol.

Hopefully that human adopted by the Covenant storyline was thrown out. Well the show isnt canon so even if it sucks it doesnt really matter, but I really want this to be good.

This should be coming to Crave in Canada.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yes.

They were being super cagey about it, but it seems like it's functionally non-canon, but they won't explicitly say so. Which would be fine if they were doing more of an adaptation, but it's a new story that's also leaning hard on novel characters that only hardcore lore nerds care about, so everything about this sounds like a a bad idea, lol.

Including deeplore book characters really doesn't matter, as long as the show properly introduces them to the viewer.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i really hope this turns out okay, we need more cool sci-fi shows now that the expanse it's ending this year. that being said, in general videogames adaptations tend to suck so idk

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" Showtime will continue to produce Halo for Paramount+, and the network's creative executive team, led by Gary Levine and Amy Israel, who had been working on the series for years, will continue to oversee it. "

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So...is this going to be anything more than, with respect, clearly made for TV diluted sci fi fluff? I was hoping for a Band of Brothers quality show.

With the money Showtime spent on the order, it is certainly in the prestige range. I don't know if this changes things.

Jan 29, 2018
I thought Paramount+ was supposed to be international (hence the rebrand since Europe doesn't know what CBS is) but I'm just seeing it launching in US and Latin America to start.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Does Paramount+ even exist outside US? 😂
And outside of the us this content is for netflix? disney+star? prime video? HBO? :S
Paramount+ doesn't exist in the US yet either; it launches in the US and Latin America on March 4, in the Nordic region in March 25, in Australia in mid-2021, etc. ViacomCBS does want Paramount+ to be an international offering, akin to Disney+, and different than CBS's strategy with CBS/10 All Access.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
Paramount+ doesn't exist in the US yet either; it launches in the US and Latin America on March 4, in the Nordic region in March 25, in Australia in mid-2021, etc. ViacomCBS does want Paramount+ to be an international offering, akin to Disney+, and different than CBS's strategy with CBS/10 All Access.
i just hope that Paramount+ at least lets me favorite tv and movies for watching later because it is stupid that cbs all access does not have it

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Including deeplore book characters really doesn't matter, as long as the show properly introduces them to the viewer.
I mean it more in the "who is this for" sense: if it's not an adaptation of well-known story, but is rather and original story, but that story doesn't fit into the actual canon, but it heavily focuses on characters that only those who are invested in the actual canon care about.

Using those characters doesn't mean anything to new audiences, since they have no prior connection with them, so they might as well be brand new characters anyway. People heavily invested in the existing canon might enjoy seeing them, but then it's still disconnected from those very stories they're invested in. If they're not adapting anything and are still constraining themselves by that, then no one is getting to see new takes on the stories they're invested in. So like... who is it for?

This either should have been a hard canon major entry, like Mando, or if they weren't able to commit to it fitting into the overall canon, they should have adapted stories this universe is known for, and brought back major characters that even passive fans are aware of. Have Johnson, the Arbiter, Truth, Guilty Spark, Gravemind. Not some weird psuedo-canon story with characters people arent familiar with and a child being raised by the Covenant (????).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh not true. Still 10 episodes planned. They shot like 6 before COVID happened and then offcourse halted. They started last year again for the remaining episodes.
Actor switch wich was just one was because of scheduling conflict. That actress still plays Halsey also btw
so that user was making stuff up?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it more in the "who is this for" sense: if it's not an adaptation of well-known story, but is rather and original story, but that story doesn't fit into the actual canon, but it heavily focuses on characters that only those who are invested in the actual canon care about.

Using those characters doesn't mean anything to new audiences, since they have no prior connection with them, so they might as well be brand new characters anyway. People heavily invested in the existing canon might enjoy seeing them, but then it's still disconnected from those very stories they're invested in. If they're not adapting anything and are still constraining themselves by that, then no one is getting to see new takes on the stories they're invested in. So like... who is it for?

This either should have been a hard canon major entry, like Mando, or if they weren't able to commit to it fitting into the overall canon, they should have adapted stories this universe is known for, and brought back major characters that even passive fans are aware of. Have Johnson, the Arbiter, Truth, Guilty Spark, Gravemind. Not some weird psuedo-canon story with characters people arent familiar with and a child being raised by the Covenant (????).

Osman as a character idea is a powerful foil for the main core characters in the Halo universe, and the perfect hook for ONI.

I don't know anything about that "child raised by the Covenant" nonsense though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a Halo show about Master Chief and Cortana is the wrong play.

Then again I hate the Mandalorian because watching a doofus with zero personality walk around in a helmet all the time and never emote, ever, puts me to sleep. So I guess I might be the wrong target audience for this.

make a show about the arbiter instead you cowards

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, if it comes out within the next year and a half I'll have a subscription to watch it

Honest question - is it shaping up to be good? Is there any idea of the plot synopsis?

Hope it's about ODSTs.

Not much is known about it, though it follows the Master Chief and the crew from the Pillar of Autumn plus some other classic characters. Also, apparently Alex Kurtzman is involved, so... Don't get your hopes up

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is that Paramount deal still alive. I had no interest in it before.

The $50 for a year? Yea but I'm not sure when you have to redeem it and when exactly Halo is supposed to begin airing next year.

This to me sounds like bad news

What is bad about CBSViacom picking Halo to get what will be a sizeable marketing push to help drive subscriptions to their rebranded streaming service?

This is being moved to be one of the main shows for the service in early 2022, they're obviously going to support it like it is.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Was going to say this is a bad sign for the show, but it seems they just want to bolster their streaming lineup and are giving up the ghost of Showtime ever becoming a "prestige" channel.

Or maybe the shows a disaster. I never know how to read moves like this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned there's an actress named Charlie Murphy. I did a severe double take when I saw that name in the cast.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to say this is a bad sign for the show, but it seems they just want to bolster their streaming lineup and are giving up the ghost of Showtime ever becoming a "prestige" channel.

Or maybe the shows a disaster. I never know how to read moves like this.
You can read the article. :D

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I have a passively negative opinion of CBS All Access, so I'm not thrilled at that shift.

I can only speak for myself, but when a service goes so far out of its way to brand itself with a new series (like Picard) in your region, then it ends up being a violent, brainless, bleak mockery of the series it's an extension of, that negative impression reflects right back onto the service. If their positive perception of the Halo footage is the same judgement that made them go all-in on the Picard series, then I have less faith in the Halo show.

Trek is as popular as it has ever has been and I'd even argue that the good to bad episode ratio has also never been this high.

It's modern television and retains the core Trek values. They evolved the franchise beyond its tired formula of 20+ episode seasons with little to no continuity or character development into heavily serialized character driven shows. Not that it matters for Halo since that show will essentially still be a Showtime series that just doesn't air on Showtime.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
So what's funny about this to me is that this is the second way Star Trek and Halo can do a crossover thing, since Bethesda apparently still has the Trek video game rights and Microsoft now owns Bethesda.

That said, Paramount+ has zero bearing on the quality of the show. That's all on the showrunners and writing staff.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm just as interested in this show for Halo as I am for the writer, Kyle Killen. His other stuff plays up duality themes a lot and had promise (Lone Star, Awake) but they always got canceled way too fast. Really curious to see what he does with this.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
7 years of development hell, Losing Spielberg, Covid, losing actors, switching platforms.
Not really. Spielberg and his company is still involved. Sure plan was earlier to make the show. But with xbox and "tv tv" dropping it went on hold abit. They started fully in 2018 again and has been fine. Actors they didnt "lose' just one actor who both played Cortana and Halsey. Because of scheduling conflict because of covid she dropped Cortana. She still plays Halsey. Switching platforms isnt really a thing also. Paramount owns Showtime. Everything stays the same behind the scenes. Just the platform it releases on. They saw the show and liked what they saw and want it to be the show to push the new platform.