• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Halo's long road to the small screen has taken one final turn. Showtime's anticipated series based on the hugely popular Xbox video game franchise will migrate to Paramount+ and be available exclusively on ViacomCBS' streamer. The announcement will be made during the ViacomCBS Streaming Event this afternoon.

deadline.com

‘Halo’ TV Series Moves From Showtime To Paramount+

Halo, Showtime's anticipated series based on the hugely popular video game franchise, will migrate to Paramount+.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Halo TV series has been in development for a very long time, but it should finally see the light of day in 2022. However, the series is no longer debuting on Showtime, but will instead be exclusive to the Paramount+ streaming service.

Deadline broke the news about this latest change in direction for the series, which is being officially announced at the ViacomCBS Streaming Event today.

www.ign.com

Halo TV Series Moves From Showtime to Paramount Plus - IGN

In the latest shake-up for this long-gestating video game adaptation, the Halo TV series is shifting from Showtime to the Paramount+ streaming service.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Oh yeah, this is a thing. Wasn't it announced like over 5 years ago?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Delayed until 2022, too. So much for the big multimedia Halo relaunch push this fall.

Paramount+ probably makes sense, though. It's cheaper than Showtime and it's already a haven for sci-fi, with all the Star Treks. To be honest I'm not sure why ViacomCBS is trying to juggle two premium streaming brands; I think it would be better to HBO Max it and just turn Showtime into the everything brand rather than try to introduce the world to Paramount+. But we'll see.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
As far as I'm concerned it isn't real. We still have gotten zip from this, and news like this just does not phase me at all. The series took so long to materialize it went from the fad of television content for consoles to the fad of television content for streaming services. Oof.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a big get for Paramount+ (if it ever actually comes out).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
One day this will actually come out. Don't care about the recasting, but man I really hope they dropped that human being a covie ship master junk.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned it isn't real. We still have gotten zip from this, and news like this just does not phase me at all. The series took so long to materialize it went from the fad of television content for consoles to the fad of television content for streaming services. Oof.
They shot almost all episodes

Oct 17, 2018
Is this the show that for whatever reason isn't gonna bother using Steve Downes' voice and is just gonna use a random actor that no one associates with Chief?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Interesting. I still find it curious they didn't just merge Showtime & CBS All Access for this. If they want Paramount+ to be a legitimate streaming contender, it needs some degree of that 'prestige TV' shine. What CBS All Access has produced so far ain't doing it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the name of CBS / Paramount's streaming service will be next year. CBS All Access to Paramount Plus. Viacom Max maybe?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That honestly seems better for it, I'd rather sub to Paramount+ to watch it than Showtime.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Real swole vs small energy with this move.
cover6.jpg

Ain't nobody buying Paramount+ for Halo.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I hopped on that deal for $0.56 a month for the next 18 months.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So did Showtime not want it any more?
I imagine it's a mix of Paramount+ needing a bigger blockbuster series, and the show never really fitting the Showtime brand anyways. Showtime's biggest shows lately are character-focused dramas & black comedies - not genre stuff.

CBS All Access comparatively, has bet big on sci-fi. Between Star Trek Discovery, Twilight Zone, and The Stand & Halo is right at home.

Now, is it a problem that all three of those shows are quite bad? Probably.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the show that for whatever reason isn't gonna bother using Steve Downes' voice and is just gonna use a random actor that no one associates with Chief?

Yeah but don't think it's a big deal if there is more going on with the character. Cortana was the same but the actor dropped out so it's Jen Taylor from the games EDIT - Actually she is still there but Taylor is doing Cortana.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
Ah yes, that TV series which announcement was the big thing of the Xbox One conference in... 2013.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I forgot, is this supposed to be canon to the overall series or a different universe?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass Ultimate perk in Q1 2022 to give 3 free months of Paramount+? Seems like a lock to get GPU subs into Paramount+.

Jul 10, 2020
Paramount+ has very little in "big name" content outside of Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard, so this is a huge get to have a banner show with a huge IP behind it.

I have not liked the new Star Trek series, so at least this would maybe get me to sub.

Because I'm sure as shit not watching their adaptation of "The Stand" during a fucking flu pandemic.

Seriously, what genius thought it was a great idea to air a remake of "The Stand" during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
With the streaming wars being what it is, I suspect any show in development hell over the last few years, or even anything RUMORED is going to get the full green light from SOME service at this point.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This show is cursed honestly. Actors leaving, 10 episodes cut to six because of Covid, at least three studios.
Uhh not true. Still 10 episodes planned. They shot like 6 before COVID happened and then offcourse halted. They started last year again for the remaining episodes.
Actor switch wich was just one was because of scheduling conflict. That actress still plays Halsey also btw

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Had to look up wtf Paramount+ is. Turns out it's just a rebrand of CBS All Access.

Ain't nobody buying Paramount+ for Halo.

Maybe they'll give it the budget and attention to turn it into a subscription driver like Mandalorian was. Hopefully it's good.

Game Pass Ultimate perk in Q1 2022 to give 3 free months of Paramount+? Seems like a lock to get GPU subs into Paramount+.
This is a guarantee.

Jul 10, 2020
I also remember when this was a Peter Jackson backed Neil Blomkamp movie that was being co-produced and co-released by WB and Paramount.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
That Deadline article is an interesting read.

Paramount knew they needed content beyond Star Trek. Some form of signature show. Paramount went headhunting and eyed Halo for a long time. After seeing film - as 55%-to-60% of the first season is already shot - Paramount went after Halo hard. Eventually Showtime and Microsoft agreed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it's a mix of Paramount+ needing a bigger blockbuster series, and the show never really fitting the Showtime brand anyways. Showtime's biggest shows lately are character-focused dramas & black comedies - not genre stuff.

CBS All Access comparatively, has bet big on sci-fi. Between Star Trek Discovery, Twilight Zone, and The Stand & Halo is right at home.

Now, is it a problem that all three of those shows are quite bad? Probably.
Showtime and Paramount+ (formerly CBS All Access) share the same corporate parent. ViacomCBS probably just figured that Paramount+ was the better fit for it based on how key sci-fi has been to pushing CBS All Access so far.

Thanks. Well that makes sense I guess but maybe they should just put everything together for a better service.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" "We were on the hunt for signature shows beyond the Star Trek franchise on CBS All Access and were thinking, what could be a defining series for Paramount+," Nevins said. Late last fall, the top executives got to see first finished footage from Halo, which put the idea of a move to Paramount+ on an accelerated path. "Halo always fit the bill, but seeing it, we felt it would work," Nevins said. "

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I forgot, is this supposed to be canon to the overall series or a different universe?

Based on the few things we've heard about the story (mostly from character descriptions), it sounds like an adaptation that takes some... liberties... with the canon from the games.

Personally as long as it's entertaining and isn't unrecognizable as Halo, I'll take it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
So...is this going to be anything more than, with respect, clearly made for TV diluted sci fi fluff? I was hoping for a Band of Brothers quality show.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Had to look up wtf Paramount+ is. Turns out it's just a rebrand of CBS All Access.

It's a little more complicated than that; CBS All Access is based on CBS's pre-merger library and now it'll have a ton of Viacom stuff (MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, BET, Paramount, etc.). So it's really more of a combination of CBS All Access and an unlaunched "Viacom+" service.